• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Destiny 2 (Steam)

RPS37

Where do I begin?
I played the original Destiny on Xbone and was marginally impressed. The beta or demo was a great showing, but I never ended up finishing the game and getting to the end game.
I think Destiny 2 also had a demo or beta of some sort IIRC but I remember not digging it.
Then eventually the whole game went free, so I tried it out again and I hated the image quality and wasn’t all that motivated to play not having any friends to play with.
Finally, my friend told me he downloaded Destiny 2 on Steam the other day.
I decided to try it out, since I’ve got a really beefy laptop with a decent graphics card.
It’s slightly overwhelming, but I had a pretty good time in the first few hours already.
Having someone to play with and having pretty damn good graphics made a big difference.

i might argue it looks better than the Halo Infinite demo that was show

Soltype

I like the game, but it is definitely cluttered.Coming off Borderlands 3, it's the first thing I noticed.Just start with the campaign, and when you get a feel for things branch out.

Lanrutcon

Enjoy the new player experience. It's a bit messy, but once you get to end game you'll miss it as the game eventually restricts your progression, upgrades become rarer and you realise how much stuff is locked down.

Also, pvp is an absolute disaster.

I like the game, but it is definitely cluttered.Coming off Borderlands 3, it's the first thing I noticed.Just start with the campaign, and when you get a feel for things branch out.
I defiantly felt the clutter when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea what's going on and where to start so I just dropped it after 2-3 hours...

Lanrutcon

I defiantly felt the clutter when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea what's going on and where to start so I just dropped it after 2-3 hours...

It's not a bad time to play atm since things have kind of "frozen". The expansion has been delayed, so now there's a few months where people can just relax and catch up. Best way to figure out what to do is to either ask here, join a clan or just jump in and do whatever. It's not like WoW: there's not "wrong" way to progress, really. You'll advance doing whatever until light level 1050, which is enough to do any activity.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't like the sort of arrested development they do with progression. Everything feels stunted. But the gameplay is great. The voice acting on the other hand is pretty bad outside of a few characters. The story still doesn't feel cohesive to me.

I am just glad it's on Steam now. Back when it was only on Blizzard I might have seen one or two friends on during a session. Now on Steam I can login and connect with at least five day or night.

Vindicator

Stellar Art Direction, Sound Design and Gunplay, my main reasons for still playing Destiny, those megastructures just look spectacular.
Also the raids and dungeons are really fun if you get a nice group together.
Cant go back to controller anymore, it just feels so sluggish compared to m/k.

btw
1WzsPhK.png

RPS37

I am just glad it's on Steam now. Back when it was only on Blizzard I might have seen one or two friends on during a session. Now on Steam I can login and connect with at least five day or night.
Word. I only play PC games on Steam. I only have 500GB to work with anyway. I also have three consoles...

ruvikx

Banned
Okay, what is going on here? I just downloaded Destiny 2 on the Xbox via gamepass & what happens? I load an old hunter character from my time in Destiny 1 many years ago... & I literally start over in the exact mission as Destiny 1 started. It's weird because I distinctly remember playing a little bit of Destiny 2 on playstation a couple of years ago & it started as a sequel to Destiny 1... i.e. Destiny 1 which I now find myself playing again Destiny 2? Me be confused.

Last edited:

Flintty

Destiny 2 is the best looking open world looter shooter designed to be a massive cash grab.

But I do enjoy it. Looking forward to the expansion, but will likely migrate from PC back to Xbox for gamepass, until it’s on PC gamepass too.

Okay, what is going on here? I just downloaded Destiny 2 on the Xbox via gamepass & what happens? I load an old hunter character from my time in Destiny 1 many years ago... & I literally start over in the exact mission as Destiny 1 started. It's weird because I distinctly remember playing a little bit of Destiny 2 on playstation a couple of years ago & it started as a sequel to Destiny 1... i.e. Destiny 1 which I now find myself playing again Destiny 2? Me be confused.

They changed it a while ago. The original D2 start was cool, shame they got rid of it. I can’t remember why they did it - something to do with the Red War being over?

Last edited:

Mr. Nobody

About this time last year when the game became F2P with Destiny: New Light, the new intro mission was the first mission from Density 1 ported into the updated engine. Destiny 2's original intro mission was the initial mission of the Red War campaign that unfortunately didn't show new players to the franchise the fundamentals as well as that D1 mission was able to convey.

Mr. Nobody

Stellar Art Direction, Sound Design and Gunplay, my main reasons for still playing Destiny, those megastructures just look spectacular.
Also the raids and dungeons are really fun if you get a nice group together.
Cant go back to controller anymore, it just feels so sluggish compared to m/k.

btw
1WzsPhK.png

Definitely agree. I still play the game every once and a while to get my FPS fix.

GymWolf

The fact that a slightly better crossgen looking game looks better than halo infinite is very telling...

I have my old destiny 2 data on the blizzard launcher,is it complicated to port everything on steam now that the game doesn't work on battle.net?! Just the idea or re-playing the dreadfull vanilla campaign kill any will of playkng the game again.

Last edited:
I reinstalled the game recently and had a good amount of fun, it was just a bit much after not playing for a couple years. It also doesn't help that I was using my old character.

The fact that a slightly better crossgen looking game looks better than halo infinite is very telling...

I have my old destiny 2 data on the blizzard launcher,is it complicated to port everything on steam now that the game doesn't work on battle.net?! Just the idea or re-playing the dreadfull vanilla campaign kill any will of playkng the game again.
I think you might have missed your shot to move your stuff. I got an email last week saying I had a few days to move my character to steam, which I did.

RPS37

Hoping cross platform support comes quick so I can play with my Steam friend on my XSX.

Last edited:
Interesting take. I've burned around 1000 hours over the span of the game's existence, partly because I got laid off unexpectedly during the down season in my industry, so I was stuck with nothing better to do week after week.

Haven't played since just after the Vex Invasion events, kinda saw it coming that the seasonal content would run dry. I am surprised that D2 is going to survive into 2022 and am considering Beyond Light, if it's any good.

Top Bottom