• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns

Snow Barrel Blast is probably the hardest stage in the game when I think about it so really once that's done there shouldn't be too many stages that pose much trouble.

There is actually a trick on snow barrel blast at the last part there is one barrel if you shot it straight down it will take you on a path that totally bypasses the hardest part and gives you tons of bananas and rewards.

I'm at Factory area now stuck on the second level where your on that moving platform. Stupid condors.

ghibli99

So now that I'm done with all the console games, which handheld ones are worth playing? Particularly for the non-GBA games, are they different enough to stand on their own, or are they just scaled-down versions with nothing (or little) new to offer? Thanks!

Peff

Donkey Kong Land 1 is pretty much a brand new game with some interesting environments and levels, even though it's a little less tight than the console version control-wise. DKL2 and 3 are a lot more similar to their respective Countries, but not entirely the same. If you're really hungry for more, they're probably worth a playthrough. The rest are all ports, one of DKC1 for the GB Color and the entire trilogy for the GBA. DKC3 Advance has a new soundtrack, but other than that they're only worth it if you plan on playing them again on the go.

Also, while it's not really part of the series, Donkey Kong 94 is pretty good.

You aren't done until you've played Jungle Beat which is damn near on DKCR and DKC2 level.
Combo platforming, COMBO PLATFORMING!

But if you are really interested in the land games it's like Peff says, DKL1 is more of its own game while the follow ups are heavily based on the last two country games. I'm not a fan of the movement in Land 1, I enjoy Land 2, never played Land 3, why aren't these on the 3DS VC yet?!

ghibli99

Thanks you two! I forgot that I had Jungle Beat up in my closet, so I'll have to dust that one off soon. Appreciate you reminding me of that. :)

ghibli99

Woah, I had no idea there was a Wii version of DK Jungle Beat. Is that the one I want? I have the original GC one w/ the bongos.

Woah, I had no idea there was a Wii version of DK Jungle Beat. Is that the one I want? I have the original GC one w/ the bongos.

Well if you have the original already go with that, they've both got pros and cons, I think I lean towards the Wii version myself as it allows for better/easier combos but either way is good.

ghibli99

Well if you have the original already go with that, they've both got pros and cons, I think I lean towards the Wii version myself as it allows for better/easier combos but either way is good.
Thanks... I'll report back on how much patience my wife has with the resulting noise. ;)

So now that I'm done with all the console games, which handheld ones are worth playing? Particularly for the non-GBA games, are they different enough to stand on their own, or are they just scaled-down versions with nothing (or little) new to offer? Thanks!

DKC3 GBA has a brand new soundtrack (and in my opinion, a superior one) along with an extra world. Definitely worth jumping into.

DKC1 GBA and DKC2 GBA don't have much to offer if you can access the originals, though.

So I finally got around to beating the original Donkey Kong Country (which if im not mistaken is the first 16 bit game ive ever beat) and my percentage is 43%. I'm wondering what do I have to do in order to get the full 100% completition? Is it just a matter of getting the KONG letters and finding the secret rooms in every level?

Also, I was surprised that there was only two mine cart levels especially compared to Returns where there is like at least 1 cart level per area. Did anyone notice the minecart levels seem to be a homage to Temple of Doom (Even the music sounds like a somber version of indiana jones theme) Also that Treetop village looks identical to ewok village on Endor in Return of the Jedi. My review: A+

ghibli99

So I finally got around to beating the original Donkey Kong Country (which if im not mistaken is the first 16 bit game ive ever beat) and my percentage is 43%. I'm wondering what do I have to do in order to get the full 100% completition? Is it just a matter of getting the KONG letters and finding the secret rooms in every level?
I think all you have to do is find all of the bonus areas, but there's a particularly tricky one late in the game. I don't think the KONG letters count for anything (unlike DKCR) except for giving you an extra life. If you do everything right, you'll end up with 101% (level names will also have exclamation points after their names if you've found all the bonus areas in a stage).

I think all you have to do is find all of the bonus areas, but there's a particularly tricky one late in the game. I don't think the KONG letters count for anything (unlike DKCR) except for giving you an extra life. If you do everything right, you'll end up with 101% (level names will also have exclamation points after their names if you've found all the bonus areas in a stage).

Ah ok thanks

NySpeed

There is actually a trick on snow barrel blast at the last part there is one barrel if you shot it straight down it will take you on a path that totally bypasses the hardest part and gives you tons of bananas and rewards.

YES!! I remember trying to beat DKC one summer with my little bro when I was a kid. This level was so hard, but once we accidentally stumbled upon that barrel.... lets say it was one of those great exciting moments in your gaming/childhood memories that will never be forgotten.

Not to derail this topic, but Professor Beef HATES the DKC soundtracks

If you see him, tell him how wrong he is
I'm telling him how wrong he is about something each and every week, it's like a never ending battle.

Ghibli are you going to play dkc 64? It's part of the mainline series I do believe
I like to pretend it's part of the Banjo Kazooie series, I feel better about it that way.

hyduK

Banned
I'm telling him how wrong he is about something each and every week, it's like a never ending battle.

I like to pretend it's part of the Banjo Kazooie series, I feel better about it that way.

DK64 was fun. Got every Golden Banana. Had some really cool levels too...Crystal Caves, Fungi Forest, Creepy Castle...

Not as good as Tooie or Kazooie, though.

PokéKong

I'm convinced DK64 started life as Banjo-Threeie, and it is probably lacking in the personality department compared to BK, and in the action-adventurey platforming department as well compared to DKC games, but I wouldn't call it as terrible a game as some do, it has its own special appeal. What it lacks in other areas it makes up for in pure atmosphere, people complain about the tedium of slowly trotting through the huge worlds multiple times to collect every different colored banana as each different Kong, but they're missing the enjoyment of just taking in all the neat scenery and listening to enchanting soundtrack.

Anyone else hoping that by some miracle Retro has a second team working on another Donkey Kong Country game for Wii U (Hopefully with kremlins and david wise!)

jwhit28

Anyone else hoping that by some miracle Retro has a second team working on another Donkey Kong Country game for Wii U (Hopefully with kremlins and david wise!)

The way the game was set up with most of the major set pieces moving from the foreground to the background and vice versa, the series is begging to be on 3DS.

I would hope we get a collect-a-thon semi-open world platformer back on consoles since 3D Mario has almost completely went back to guided path style courses.

DK64 was fun. Got every Golden Banana. Had some really cool levels too...Crystal Caves, Fungi Forest, Creepy Castle...

Not as good as Tooie or Kazooie, though.
I collected every trinket possible but as you said it's not as good as the Banjo duo, unfortunately despite my love for it when I was a kid I can't say I enjoy it as much these days, that said the game tends to get too much of a bum rap.

This is the dream, hopefully it's not an impossible one. I'll be damned if out of all the platforming franchises that had a bit of a resurgence this gen that DK is the one that goes without a sequel.

Datschge

Considering the great DKC2 was the direct result of a subset of DKC1's staff directly continuing working on a sequel for a year I really hoped the involved Retro staff would (get to) do the same.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PokéKong;40594969 said:
I'm convinced DK64 started life as Banjo-Threeie...
But Donkey Kong 64 was released before Banjo-Tooie. Some of the levels are rejects from the original Banjo-Kazooie though if I remember right. Like Fungi Forest.

jwhit28

But Donkey Kong 64 was released before Banjo-Tooie.

Yeah DK64 and Diddy's inclusion in Rare's N64 racer were pretty much suggestions from Nintendo that Rare couldn't turn down. Its like having your heart set on playing Yoshi's Island and your mom brings home Yoshi's Cookie. You politely walk into your room and wait until the next rental period.

KevinCow

Banned
So after a couple years, several delays, and at least a year of "Don't worry guys, work's getting done, just a little bit longer!" while seemingly no progress is made, the OCR DKC3 Remix Project is apparently finally complete.

Here's a preview that was released.

From the video description:

This video, produced by project artists Peach and Cody Wedel, represents just a fraction of the combined efforts of over 64 individuals, including David Wise himself (!!!), to remix the entire soundtracks to both the SNES and GBA release Donkey Kong Country 3, composed by Eveline Fischer and David Wise, respectively. The album will be published in its entirety sometime later in 2012 exclusively on Overclocked ReMix (http://ocremix.org) and will contain 76 remixes and cover every theme from both soundtracks. The final album runtime clocks in at nearly 5 and a half hours of all-new music, larger than any OCRemix release to date.

So no release date yet, but it's good to know that it's finally ready.

It's sounding nice, too!
No crappy vocal tracks!

So after a couple years, several delays, and at least a year of "Don't worry guys, work's getting done, just a little bit longer!" while seemingly no progress is made, the OCR DKC3 Remix Project is apparently finally complete.

Here's a preview that was released.

From the video description:

So no release date yet, but it's good to know that it's finally ready.

It's sounding nice, too!
No crappy vocal tracks!

dat arich gba remix

ghibli99

I'm starting to second-guess my taste in music w/ my DKC3 soundtrack impressions in the OP. Will have to listen again. I simply don't remember much of it from my playthrough. :(

YouTube link I'm using right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXccrS3XB6c&feature=bf_prev&list=PL3F37BC9E9A5DC61D

Edit: OK, I still say there's no contest... perhaps it's just Fischer's minimalist and less layered approach with the instrumentation and melodies that I just don't really connect with it the way I do with DKC1&2's soundtracks. Music is so subjective, though, so it's all good.

Top Bottom