• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The Retro DK games are in a other universe in teens of quality, compared to the Rare games. Amazingly polished.

Completely disagree with you.

I bought a Wii U just for this game and MK8, and so far i`m in world 4 with all the waterlevels and while this game (and Returns) are good and fun game, they completely lack the great atmosphere of the Rare trilogy (especially DKC2).

TF at times feel more like madagascar the game than a DKC game.

My game of the year so far, and I've not even unlocked any of the K levels yet. Will undoubtedly be my favourite soundtrack of the year as well. Just superb, all round.

Retro are such a talented team. I really don't mind if they were to work on another DK; although I'd prefer either Metroid or something new for their next game.

Xav

6568-rawautoplay_gifgdaszl.gif

Blues1990

I can say that Tropical Freeze should be included for any Wii U owners library, as it's one of the best platforming games you can get for the system, with Rayman Legends coming to a close second.

Some of my favourite tracks include the following:

-Busted Bayou
-Trunk Twister
-Mountain Mania (Ground)
-Sawmill Thrill
-Alpine Incline
-Wing Ding
-Baobab Bonanza
-Scorch 'n' Torch
-Twilight Terror
-Cannon Canyon
-Deep Keep/Amiss Abyss
-Irate Eight (ALL OF THEM)
-Harvest Hazards
-Reckless Ride (Rocket Barrel Theme)
-Fruity Factory
-Panicky Paddles
-Jelly Jamboree
-Jammin' Jams
-Frosty Fruits
-Punch Bowl
-Seashore War
-Forest Folly

braves01

Banned
Completely disagree with you.

I bought a Wii U just for this game and MK8, and so far i`m in world 4 with all the waterlevels and while this game (and Returns) are good and fun game, they completely lack the great atmosphere of the Rare trilogy (especially DKC2).

Even if the Retro games lack the atmosphere of the Rare ones, the platforming in the Retro releases so outclasses the Rare games it wouldn't matter if it were a licensed Madagascar game. That said, I totally disagree that there's anything wrong with the atmosphere of the Retro games or that it's somehow worse than the horribly dated looking Rare games. And c'mon man, the models in dkctf are much better than those really angular madagascar ones.

Jito

Banned
Easily one of the best platfromers I've ever played. Been blasting through this week on co op and I'm mid way into world 3. I can't explain but every level seems to be better than the last and puts a huge smile on my face when I play it. Highly recommend it to anyone with a Wii u or who loves platormers.

One complaint is co op is kinda an after thought compared to 3d world, just adds another character on screen.

Team retro metroid at e3!

phanphare

Banned
I cannot praise this game enough so I'll just echo everyone else and say that this game is fantastic. this is one of those 10/10 games for me. that's not to say they couldn't have improved some things (bonus rooms, buddies aka engarde) but the game is so good that it doesn't really matter. it also has the most satisfying controls for any platformer I've ever played. both on land and in water. the weight, the momentum, the animations, everything. so good.

as always I've got to praise 2-3 Horn Top Hop. that level is one of those gaming moments I'll remember forever. that ending just floored me and was also the moment I knew this was going to be a next level experience

Esque7

My complaints with the game are the bonus rooms still suck, too many rocket barrel levels, and the last world wasn't as good as the previous world. I was very happy they made the bosses more difficult though. Too many platformers go easy with their bosses.

The sound is nuts in this game too. When DK beats his chest at the start of a level he nearly bottoms out my center. So much bass.

I feel like the sound is a bit muted in this game. I usually have my receiver set to 50 across all games. I have to crank it up to 56 to 60 to get the level of volume I want from the game (even while having in-game sound settings set to max level). Strange.

Great game. I'm still not sure why there are control options (just let me switch between the stick and dpad at will without having to select it as a menu option)
That, and no option to just restart levels. Sometimes the checkpoints are placed in areas where you can't avoid them on some levels - which is a problem for someone like me because I sacrifice lives all the time to get K-O-N-G letters or puzzle pieces. Hate having to quit and sit through two long ass load screens.

Other than that, game's a blast. I'm still only on World 3 though.

It is a pretty damn awesome game.

It blends perfectly sound design, level design and graphics. I'm still amazed at how every level seems to tell a story of its own. This aspect is perhaps my favorite thing about the game, which sadly seems to be missing from a lot of 2D platformers nowadays.

My game of the year - so far. Had so much fun with it.

Though, I still haven't completed 5-K and it... it ...... haunts me to this day ; _ ; . I need to go back.

Andrew.

Banned
The quality of Tropical Freeze (also 3D World and Kart 8) are simply unmatched and on a totally different level than anything that Sony and Microsoft have put out so far this generation.

That said, I find it to be one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played and has one of, if not the most impressive, atmospheric and emotional soundtracks of said genre of the past 10-15 years.

Wasp

I just started playing this today. It's my very first DK game.

Only played the first two levels so far but it seems very good. Probably even better than Rayman Origins/Legends.

I'm not at all a fan of the archaic and old fashioned lives system though. But then again Nintendo is an archaic and old fashioned company. I guess I should be grateful that there's not a 400 second time limit to the levels.

It is a pretty damn awesome game.

It blends perfectly sound design, level design and graphics. I'm still amazed at how every level seems to tell a story of its own. This aspect is perhaps my favorite thing about the game, which sadly seems to be missing from a lot of 2D platformers nowadays.
On top of this there's the detail in how some entire worlds carry a sense of progression throughout, Autumn Heights trip up to the peak takes place across a day with varying weather and Juicy Jungle's main route level progression is like a tour through the entire fruit juicing factory process from harvesting to Ice lollies. That last example takes it to the next level by how it implements the various tools used into platforming obstacles and hazards.

Andrew.

Banned
Every level really does feel like it's own journey, adventure, conquest, what have you. It really is remarkable. Really the only 2D platformer I've ever played where I've been totally 100% okay with the fact that levels could take me up to a half hour apiece.

TheChits

I sometimes go back to play specific levels but this thread makes me want to replay the entire game over again.

Yep. Grassland Groove, Windmill Hills, Sawmill Thrill, Busted Bayou, Amiss Abyss....I could go on and on. I can't recommend this game enough to anyone who enjoys platformers.

Tropical Freeze is a top 10 (fuck...maybe top 5) game for me; it's that good, and easily the king of the 2D platformer genre imo. I can't fathom anything beating it for my GotY spot. Retro continues to be my favorite developer.

Neiteio

Best 2D platformer ever... or tied with DKC2 for the title.

Also, OP, let's not dismiss the first world as "just another jungle." There's so much variety packed into the Lost Mangroves -- and a mangrove is entirely different from a jungle! The way you swim between the tangled roots of waterlogged trees and then bop across dodos and past man-eating plants on sandy shoals, while Snowmad ships beach themselves in the foreground and spiraling trees burst out of the topsoil, before you skip across stranded subs, crashed planes and derelict ships that teeter and totter in tree branches... I love it! And the way the first world culminates in a "circus tent" actually repurposed from crashed cargo planes and canvas parachutes ties it together so nicely.

The freshest take on a tropical world in some time, and then you go to the second world, Autumn Heights, blending Bavaria and the Swiss Alps with a Canadian sawmill and Tibetan monasteries for good measure. Closet precedent there is the Northern Kremisphere from DKC3, and frankly that was a welcome motif to bring back since it's just not the type of place you typically associate with a tie-wearing gorilla and shuffling Viking penguins. Probably my favorite world, all things considered. :)

Game is AMAZING! I played it using the stick and it felt so natural. Everything in this game is perfect- from the sublime soundtrack to the beautiful graphics, and even the finely tuned controls. Retro knocked it outta the park with this one.

I'm seriously hoping they get to make a 2D Metroid on WiiU...

I really enjoyed the game while playing it, but I think after digesting on it, I realized I really did love it. It's just so well-crafted and every single aspect had a lot of thought put in to it. If there's ever an example of a game that has been meticulously combed-through, it is Tropical Freeze.

Game is AMAZING! I played it using the stick and it felt so natural. Everything in this game is perfect- from the sublime soundtrack to the beautiful graphics, and even the finely tuned controls. Retro knocked it outta the park with this one.

I'm seriously hoping they get to make a 2D Metroid on WiiU...

A 2D Metroid from Retro. Oh, God. God, yes please.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Best 2D platformer ever and GOTY so far.

Retro + HD + Retro = dong couldn't be more expanded

Every level really does feel like it's own journey, adventure, conquest, what have you. It really is remarkable. Really the only 2D platformer I've ever played where I've been totally 100% okay with the fact that levels could take me up to a half hour apiece.

Wow, you are even slower than me haha! The levels that took me the longest were Mangrove Cove, Shipwreck Shore, Rockin' Relics, and Panicky Paddles. Or in other words, the levels fusing both land and water sections. The reason being I would just swim around in the water for minutes at a time listening to the sublime alternate versions of the level themes while observing the liquidy smooth swimming animations. Not sure I ever came close to a half hour though :p.

Also, OP, let's not dismiss the first world as "just another jungle." There's so much variety packed into the Lost Mangroves -- and a mangrove is entirely different from a jungle! The way you swim between the tangled roots of waterlogged trees and then bop across dodos and past man-eating plants on sandy shoals, while Snowmad ships beach themselves in the foreground and spiraling trees burst out of the topsoil, before you skip across stranded subs, crashed planes and derelict ships that teeter and totter in tree branches... I love it! And the way the first world culminates in a "circus tent" actually repurposed from crashed cargo planes and canvas parachutes ties it together so nicely.

Welcome back, Neiteio :D. I definitely agree with you here. Mangrove Coves is arguably the best opening world to a platformer ever.

A 2D Metroid from Retro. Oh, God. God, yes please.

If we can't get a new IP from them, a 2D Metroid for Wii U would be my second choice. Imagine the environmental storytelling and setpieces spread throughout an entire sprawling world, rather than individual levels. Retro has expertise in both Metroid and 2D game design. A 2D Metroid is obviously a completely different beast than the Prime games and the DKC games, but there is no doubt they would blow our socks off again.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The best Wii U game in my opinion. It's just one of those perfectly crafted games that makes you ruminate about it long after you finished and smile to yourself as you remember various bits and pieces that you really loved. Especially if you're replaying the god tier soundtrack :) really glad I went digital so I can easily replay it someday.

If we can't get a new IP from them, a 2D Metroid for Wii U would be my second choice. Imagine the environmental storytelling and setpieces spread throughout an entire sprawling world, rather than individual levels. Retro has expertise in both Metroid and 2D game design. A 2D Metroid is obviously a completely different beast than the Prime games and the DKC games, but there is no doubt they would blow our socks off again.

At this point, I'd trust Retro with my life. 2D Metroid is nothin' ;)

Though I also want to see an HD Prime and third DKC...so many games, so little time...

Drewfonse

Best 2D platformer ever... or tied with DKC2 for the title.

The freshest take on a tropical world in some time, and then you go to the second world, Autumn Heights, blending Bavaria and the Swiss Alps with a Canadian sawmill and Tibetan monasteries for good measure. Closet precedent there is the Northern Kremisphere from DKC3, and frankly that was a welcome motif to bring back since it's just not the type of place you typically associate with a tie-wearing gorilla and shuffling Viking penguins. Probably my favorite world, all things considered. :)

Oh man, Autumn Heights.

Just...*faints*

Absolutely my favorite world. Perfect autumn atmosphere.

Though my favorite song is the first world's boss, I think.

Isotope

Tropical Freeze is so damn good. It's THIS close to eclipsing DKC2 for me, and DKC2 is one of my favorite games ever made. When Tropical Freeze was announced, I was very lukewarm on it, frustrated that Retro was working on Donkey Kong instead of Metroid. I was so happy to eat crow when I got to play Tropical Freeze. The David Wise soundtrack was some of the best I've ever heard, and hearing that he was on board with the game probably was what turned my opinion on the game around.

It's platforming excellence that everyone should play.

Marlowe89

All nostalgia aside, Tropical Freeze is actually better than DKC2. I'd go so far as to call it the best in the series.

clav

Deciding between this game or Super Mario 3D World. I'm tempted to pick up 3D Land since I've read the game plays tighter than 3D World. Plus, I don't have anyone else who would want to play with me. Playing a bit of NSMB U reminded me that this game would be better with a second player, and it seems like the Mario platforming titles for Wii U are better played with multiple people.

I think I will pick this game up soon.

How's the replay value?

Cant wait to play this, still waiting for this to go on sale.
It's been on sale for $39.99 quite often already. I don't think you'll see a first party Nintendo title within its first year of life drop any lower than that. If you're waiting for less, you may be waiting a good while.

jnWake

One of my favourite games on the Wii U. I think I've played about 180 hours of it... Crazy haha, but when you get the hang of time trials you just can't stop!

Spinluck

Sometimes I play some levels at night before I go to bed.

Grassland Grove's level design wise is not even close to the games best offerings. But everything else about it soothes the soul.

Top Bottom