• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was honestly hyping this because I heard Toriyama wrote this or had some part in this but wow is this awful. It's as if they didn't care at all when they wrote the story. First complaint I had with the movie is just everyone gets one shot, and I know this got kind of bad during the Buu saga, but it wasn't anywhere near this bad. Super Saiyan 3 Goku didn't ever get two shot. The fighting was incredibly shallow as well. The second complaint I had was that apparently there's a "God" above all the other "Gods" yet this was already perfectly explained in the Buu saga. This makes the Buu saga look more like a joke since it's like what was the purpose of having an evil creature controlled by wizard that could overcome the Kais as if it was some special thing when there's a god of destruction that already is capable of this?

Third complaint was everyone's reactions to everything. Gohan is getting beat but down in one shot, Piccolo, Vegeta, and everyone is essentially in lala land without a care in the world. Ultimate Gohan, which is at least on par with Super Saiyan 3 Goku doesn't even stand a lick of a chance, yet Vegeta Super Saiyan 2 can beat the dude up? Heck, even after the dude is opening is mouth wide open and experiencing pain, one second after he's done he's like nothing ever happened. Why even show that he's in pain if he isn't? The fusion part was so cheaply tacked on. Trunks and Goten like don't even care what's going on, as if everyone getting beat up in one shot is a common place thing, LALALA BINGO! cue fusion cutscene out of nowhere with out any build up whatsoever. They don't even go Super Saiyan 3. Bulma gets slapped by him, but apparently wakes up a second later and to my surprise, isn't dead or injured at all. Not only that, but she goes on acting like everything is normal despite Vegeta being injured until Vegeta says "he's a god" and then she starts showing fear.

Even Goku's demeanor is wrong. He's like instantly getting ticked off during the first few seconds of their spar and he's getting egotistical "understanding me?". He shows pride, but he never gets like that. He also is perfectly okay with the fact that the world is going to be destroyed and all of his friends murdered and is being such a pushover for this god of destruction character. Vegeta's has had his whiny moments, I guess you could say in the past, but him doing ballerina to please a villain is ridiculous.

The fights have certain moments where it goes to 3D, for like one second. It makes you wonder why they even do that if they aren't even going to animated it much. Most of the fight is just one punch or one throw and altering the background to make it seemed like they're doing something great with animation but they aren't. I'd akin it to playing a movie behind the characters.

This is as bad as the worst bits of GT, although the Super 17 fights and Dragon fights in GT were far superior to this.

I was glad it didn't treated DBZ like if it was just about fights, the party scenes were fun enough. More suspense in there than in regular DBZ fights. It felt like Dragon Ball.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was glad it didn't treated DBZ like if it was just about fights, the party scenes were fun enough. More suspense in there than in regular DBZ fights. It felt like Dragon Ball.

To me it didn't even feel like Dragon Ball because although there is some comedy with the bingo, Dragon Ball characters were aware of what transpired in front them and the comedy in Dragon Ball wasn't as blatant at this. The fighting in Dragon Ball blows this movie out of the park.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Is this that shit where he's fighting that Anubis looking guy? Cause I was like wtf is this the other day my brother was watching that shit...

Erv

I watched saw it and actually enjoyed it a little. But now that you mention this you're right about everything.I Hope the next movie is way better

Takao

Banned
LTTP to a movie that has barely been released internationally, and just received a DVD/BD release in Japan last week? lol

I haven't watched it yet. The whole
let's use unborn Pan to create SSG
made me feel a bit weird.

To me it didn't even feel like Dragon Ball because although there is some comedy with the bingo, Dragon Ball characters were aware of what transpired in front them and the comedy in Dragon Ball wasn't as blatant at this. The fighting in Dragon Ball blows this movie out of the park.

This shouldn't have had fights at all, and would be better.

MikeMyers

One-shots happened before the Buu Saga. Remember Tien, Trunks, & Piccolo Vs 17 & 18?

As for making the Buu Saga look like a joke, every DBZ saga is like this. Namek Arc it took 20 episodes for Goku to take on Frieza, beginning of Android Arc Frieza is taken out by Trunks in one hit.

And as for as Gohan going down so easily. Its because Gohan is a useless idiot unless someone holds his hand, regardless of his strength.

Kokonoe

Banned
d[-_-]b;82954121 said:
Is this that shit where he's fighting that Anubis looking guy? Cause I was like wtf is this the other day my brother was watching that shit...

Yep.

LTTP to a movie that has barely been released internationally, and just received a DVD/BD release in Japan last week? lol

I haven't watched it yet. The whole
let's use unborn Pan to create SSG
made me feel a bit weird.

I figured since it was out since March in theaters it'd be consider LTTP.

but yeah, that...was a bit odd. What's also odd is that Hercule is super dark in this.

This shouldn't have had fights at all, and would be better.

I can agree with this.

One-shots happened before the Buu Saga. Remember Tien, Trunks, & Piccolo Vs 17 & 18?

That's not even the point I'm trying to make. These guys didn't even put up a fight, or even do anything. They just got one shotted. Heck, he knocks Piccolo out with poking him.

As for making the Buu Saga look like a joke, every DBZ saga is like this. Namek Arc it took 20 episodes for Goku to take on Frieza, beginning of Android Arc Frieza is taken out by Trunks in one hit.

By making a joke I mean the plot not their fighting strength.

And as for as Gohan going down so easily. Its because Gohan is a useless idiot unless someone holds his hand, regardless of his strength.

um. ok.

Feep

Banned
All of your points are bad and you should feel bad.

You're mad that characters at previously established power levels are getting beat down? What, do you think a menace should come down from the stars and get jobbed by any one of a dozen fighters, most of whom have been shown to be orders of magnitude below the saiyans?

And it's mystic Gohan, nerd.

Sophia

Goku getting ticked off in Super Saiyan and being slightly egotistical has happened before. In fact, it was one big characteristic of his original transformation against Freiza.

Kokonoe

Banned
Goku getting ticked off in Super Saiyan and being slightly egotistical has happened before. In fact, it was one big characteristic of his original transformation against Freiza.

Him being egotistical has happened before, him going on the degree of "underestimating me?" and getting ticked simply because of that has not. He's gotten upset for people dying, his friends getting hurt, or destruction, but never never specifically because of his ego.

MikeMyers

That's not even the point I'm trying to make. These guys didn't even put up a fight, or even do anything. They just got one shotted. Heck, he knocks Piccolo out with poking him.
Uh, yeah that's basically what happened in the Android battle.

Trunks, Tien, Piccolo, Gohan charge at the Androids and get one shotted
18, Tien, Piccolo charge at Bills and get one shotted.

By making a joke I mean the plot not their fighting strength.
Again, the manga was like that too. The whole "Legendary SSJ" legend gets turned into a joke by some cyborg teenager built in a cave.

Kami was the Ultimate God by 23rd Budokai, then Saiyan arc made King Kai top dog, then later Supreme Kai, then later Elder Kais. Gods were always getting topped.

That was in regard Gohan doing worse than Vegeta. Gohan was always a fail unless someone had to baby him in battle.

The second complaint I had was that apparently there's a "God" above all the other "Gods" yet this was already perfectly explained in the Buu saga.

Just like when it was perfectly explained that Kami was God, only for it later to be explained that there was Kaio above him, and then even later explained that not only were there more Kaio, but there were Kaioshin above them?

Ultimate Gohan, which is at least on par with Super Saiyan 3 Goku doesn't even stand a lick of a chance, yet Vegeta Super Saiyan 2 can beat the dude up?

Yeah, since when has Dragon Ball ever done the "character gets angry, expends all of their energy in one or two bursts that, for a moment, surpass the level of people generally stronger than them, only to drop back down a moment later" thing?

BHK3

Banned
Didn't understand why the kais even mattered considering they were weak as shit. "Even the kais are afraid" So?

And the ending really just ruined the movie for me, oh there's a whole bunch of other gods? Man whatever made me feel like I wasted my time.

EVOL 100%

It felt weirdly disjointed (not the plot, the visuals and the audio dropping in and out on weird times) but I thought it was fine.

Sophia

That movie was complete trash.

In contrast I thought it was very well written. The idea of an opponent that Goku can't win merely through sheer strength was nicely executed. Gives it a real classic Dragon Ball feel instead of the worn out nature of DBZ's Buu saga.

Tookay

Movie honestly felt like fan fiction.

I mean, it's a shonen series that overstayed its welcome in the last saga (or two), but the amount of ass-pulls about the universe were a little much: Super Saiyan God, the mechanics of it, the stuff about alternate universes and gods, Whis being Bills' mentor...

I'm not even sure what the point of it was in the end. I appreciated the fact that, for once, Goku didn't win and that the mysterious power wasn't really it was cracked up to be, but the ending just leaves the series in a weird lurch.

Movie honestly felt like fan fiction.

I mean, it's a shonen series that overstayed its welcome in the last saga (or two), but the amount of ass-pulls about the universe were a little much: Super Saiyan God, the mechanics of it, the stuff about alternate universes and gods, Whis being Bills' mentor...

I'm not even sure what the point of it was in the end. I appreciated the fact that, for once, Goku didn't win and that the mysterious power wasn't really it was cracked up to be, but the ending just leaves the series in a weird lurch.

The point of it was to expand the DBZ universe obviously

Sophia

That means little if it doesn't get followed up on...

... because I was under the impression that it didn't set the BO ablaze.

It was one of the better selling films of the year in Japan, if I recall. No record breaker or anything, but it didn't do bad numbers at all. It hit Toei's goal of ¥3 billion.

That means little if it doesn't get followed up on...

... because I was under the impression that it didn't set the BO ablaze.

DBZ is undying, all these years and its still getting video games and other new media.

Buu saga is getting a Kai version because it did so well overseas.

You really think they expanded the universe in such a huge way and that they are never ever going to follow up on it? Come on son.

Tookay

DBZ is undying, all these years and its still getting video games and other new media.

Buu saga is getting a Kai version because it did so well overseas.

You really think they expanded the universe in such a huge way and that they are never ever going to follow up on it? Come on son.

Can I amend my criticism then?

I think they swung the door a little too open in expanding the universe. Considering how long it has taken to get actual new content, it will take them forever to fully explore it and by that point, they'll have overstayed their welcome. Again.

Plus, your argument being "the whole point of it was to make expand the series and make more $$$" doesn't satisfactorily resolve my question. It's an answer, sure, but it just feels like there's nothing left to show, say, or do - if Battle of the Gods was any indication of the future.

Sophia

Can I amend my criticism then?

I think they swung the door a little too open in expanding the universe. Considering how long it has taken to get actual new content, it will take them forever to fully explore it and by that point, they'll have overstayed their welcome. Again.

Plus, your argument being "the whole point of it was to make expand the series and make more $$$" doesn't satisfactorily resolve my question. It's an answer, sure, but it just feels like there's nothing left to show, say, or do - if Battle of the Gods was any indication of the future.

Personally, I don't think the ending was indication of specifically expanding the universe, so much as giving themselves a means of writing other stories should Toriyama or Toei want to.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just like when it was perfectly explained that Kami was God, only for it later to be explained that there was Kaio above him, and then even later explained that not only were there more Kaio, but there were Kaioshin above them?

This is completely different. They explained the Supreme Kai was the god of all, it and the land of the kais are what the Buu saga was all about along with Buu. It's also how DBZ ended.

Yeah, since when has Dragon Ball ever done the "character gets angry, expends all of their energy in one or two bursts that, for a moment, surpass the level of people generally stronger than them, only to drop back down a moment later" thing?

That doesn't make Vegeta instantly as strong as Super Saiyan 3 Goku or close. The fight with Kid Buu and Vegeta is the best example of this. Even when Vegeta went into a frenzy after Cell shot his finger laser at Trunks, he still didn't whoop Cell. His attacks didn't even phase him. If Vegeta way say, for instance, just a bit lower in power compared to Super Saiyan 3 I might understand, but he is Super Saiyan 2 and the dude beat Goku in two shots as Super Saiyan 3. That has never happened before.

...just like every other DBZ movie.

At least this one didn't directly contradict established lore. That feels like a first.

It contradicted the Buu/Kai arc (although the Buu arc wasn't written that well but that's another story). It also contradicts Super Saiyan, and of course you could say Tarble's existence (although due to the OVA) does.

For me, the only bad DBZ movies are this one and Bio Broly.

Finalow

not sure why there is a LTTP already but whatever.

just watched this, complete garbage.
I just liked 2 things, the design of Bills/Whis/the Oracle Fish + their world and the credits.
also the design for Goku and co. looked somehow worse than usual, is there a reason to this or I'm just confused?

In contrast I thought it was very well written. The idea of an opponent that Goku can't win merely through sheer strength was nicely executed. Gives it a real classic Dragon Ball feel instead of the worn out nature of DBZ's Buu saga.
uhm, well written? What. Goku couldn't win in any case, and I don't see how anything was nicely executed, a lot of random shit or nonsense with no explanation. I know that it's dragon ball but come on.

and be prepared for more, that ending just said "there are gonna be more movies about dis, yup".

It's not really Mystic Gohan. The producers recolored him yellow only due to fan complaints before the film's release.

Pre-release trailer:
l1ZqTCX.jpg

Final version:
A6hrmcm.jpg

J-Rod

Seemed like the whole movie was a just a preview/setup for more. "Goku and Vegeta may become real threats in a few years" then later Wiss puts him to sleep for 3 years...

Elchele

It had the DBZ vibe. So it was good, you can't expect it to be as good as the actual show because there's not time to build the whole fight/scenario/atmosphere.

I was pretty shocked they managed to recreate the feel of the show after so many years. It was funny, had a good fight. It was DBZ.

It was completely insane. First off, what's Toriyama's deal with food and parties? Wasn't the last movie the same thing? I didn't watch it, but that's what I gather from the summaries. And that terrible Vegeta dance. I know Vegeta gets his ass kicked constantly and often makes for a pretty lame "badass," but did they really have to take his dignity too?
Second, what's going on? Gohan deflects a bullet into Videl's leg, and it's, well whatever, oops. I'm sorry I just indirectly shot my wife in the leg, but it's fine. OH, YOU'RE PREGNANT, WONDERFUL. I can't tell if everyone is just entirely self-aware that death and injury no longer mean anything to these characters, or if nobody stopped and thought that this was insane even for DBZ.

And Super Saiyan Fetus. Yeah. I would be surprised if this does not become a running joke among certain fans.

I know DBZ is stupid and ridiculously over the top, but it feels less like the creators are in on the joke, and more like they can't be bothered to make anything even begin to make sense anymore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I know DBZ is stupid and ridiculously over the top, but it feels less like the creators are in on the joke, and more like they can't be bothered to make anything even begin to make sense anymore.

I gave up on the series making sense ever since some random scientist was able to create cyborgs that were somehow stronger than Freeza, the most powerful being in the known galaxy, using a robot ladybug and Earth technology.

That being said, this movie was funny, entertaining, and not bad.

I also thought the movie was shit. I get they were trying to make it feel like dragon ball, but it didn't work. The end result was just buu saga with a bit more slap stick. Meh.

OTOH, Vegeta kicked ass. For a few seconds at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom