• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Quest V (Casual RPG Fan Continues to Level Up)

YourMaster

I guess it would help if you have two Sages in this battle but I've never done it that way because I only like having one healer.

There's a difference in having just one healer, or having a primary healer and allowing your other party members to pick up the slack. Having fullheal, Kazing, Kerplunk on other characters makes a world of difference and you could still have them focused on DPS.

If only I had even zing on one of my brawlers, the boss would've been a cakewalk. They can take about 10 times more punishment than my sage and luminaire.
Your Hero doesn't have zing?

There's a difference in having just one healer, or having a primary healer and allowing your other party members to pick up the slack. Having fullheal, Kazing, Kerplunk on other characters makes a world of difference and you could still have them focused on DPS.

True - I guess what I meant was I have never planned to have more than one sage in my party. But there's definitely backup healing going on with hustle dance (!!!) and the sage stone. The Hero also learns zing and fullheal.

YourMaster

Which is the best bride to take as a party member? Who's the most useful/has the best spells? I'm about at that spot.

I think it's the
third choice
actually, the best one in battle, and most interesting in party-talk.
But in fact, your wife doesn't do as well in a battle party as other options, so pick whoever you feel like story wise.

zoukka

So I finished DQVI finally. Summoned some badass spirit with luck to the final battle which helped a lot.

Game was ok. VIII kills all the older DQ games in my experience, but of course I am biased when that was the first game in the franchise I finished.

Bururian

So I finished DQVI finally. Summoned some badass spirit with luck to the final battle which helped a lot.

Game was ok. VIII kills all the older DQ games in my experience, but of course I am biased when that was the first game in the franchise I finished.

DQ3 was the first one I played and was really amazing, but DQ5 blows all of the Dragon Quest games out of the water. All personal opinion, obviously.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I played this game over a year ago and stopped after I got married (in the game). I don't know why because I really liked it.

Now I'm not sure if I should start from the beginning or continue from where I left.

Bururian

I played this game over a year ago and stopped after I got married (in the game). I don't know why because I really liked it.

Now I'm not sure if I should start from the beginning or continue from where I left.

If you can remember most of what you played up to at that point, then just continue on. No reason to restart at that point.

Varna

This game is my second attempt at the Dragon Quest series. First one was part VIII which I did enjoy but ultimately got too frustrated with the terrible slow loading that seem to plague every aspect of it. I got pretty far in... long enough to get a
ship
. But yeah, those mid battle load times were ridiculous with the frequency of battles.

Luckily, this game has no such problem. Everything is nice and smooth and I don't even mind the really bad interface. I've hit the point were
the wife gets kidnapped
and I'm not sure what it is. There is something really engaging about this game. It seems quiet shallow at times but then you go around and chat with people, get your party members reactions from it all and it really fills out nicely (story, characters and lore I mean). I'm not gonna lie either... I feel pretty damn nervous to see were the story heads next.

My only major gripe with this game is the combat difficulty. Early on it was pretty good. Using items, minimal magic use, etc. Now it's just spam normal attacks without regard for anything. Only time I use anything else is during boss fights. Encounter rate seems quiet high too.

I wish there was a few more games that had the transition from childhood to adult. I recall Breath of Fire 3 had a similar twist.

I ordered DQIX and I really do hope the DQVII makes it to NA. I'm not going to try to play all the DQ games but VII is another one I always wanted to play.

Top Bottom