• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: F.E.A.R.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This game came out when I was in the 7th or 8th grade.

Even though this game is certainly established, it's still so far out that you couldn't factor it into the mainstream of gaming, it's too rare to even talk about with casual gamers.

I don't know whats not to like about here.

Slo-motion gives you the ability to perfect your kills (headshots). I think developers had room for more but was thinking of short and sweet (7-9 hour game)
latest

Guns in any FPS are highly important (needler in halo, mp5 in cod etc.) so F.E.A.R. has significant weapons that allows you to destroy enemies in a variety of ways.

You got a psychic main antagonist who they build out the story through, if you told me this game had no story I'd still play it, the weapons, AI and Pointman's powers are just worth it (backbone of the game), despite the questionable story.

I'm pretty sure multiplayer is dead.

Unless they bring back this franchise through a remaster, the only way to play it is via PC, PS3 or 360. It doesn't matter which version you play, experiencing this game will be mission accomplish.

F.E.A.R. shows flashes of greatness BUT I don't like the way they approached the story. I bet you this franchise would still be around today if they were more passionate about the story.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One of my favorites. Scary, loved the gun play, slow down mechanics. Some thought the office building part was too long and repetitive, I loved it, I Love office buildings in shooters for some reason. Don’t know why but I most shooters I always prefer indoor locations. I love offices and monitors and screens and desks and hallways and such. And little side cafeterias.

It’s a shame it went down hill after each installment, and the last one wasn’t very good. FEAR 2 is good though.

We need a new FEAR on the next gen if systems.

We don't know what Monolith has been working on since Shadow of War.......

I mean it could be possible they do a soft reboot of the series..... WB does have the publishing rights and original developer.

It would have to be a soft reboot of some sorts though, can't do anything with the original storyline after the third title.

Ol'Scratch

I was definitely a fan and enjoyed the series. The multiplayer was a let down because , and this is foggy so I may be a little off, there was like some kick move that people would just spam the hell out of and it was really irritating kind of like the diving in RDR2. I would day one a new FEAR entry

bilderberg

Story's actually pretty good, but having to listen to most of it through voice mails is boring. It's sad how this series just went to complete shit after the first one. Even the expansion packs are much better, because, at least they still have amazing gunplay.

nkarafo

The game feels very good. The way you move, the way your weapon feels and how everything reacts when you start shooting. It's probably the best FPS i have played in this regard, especially on PC with a keyboard/mouse setup. And the enemy AI is also still the peak in these kind of games.

The story is the last thing i care about.

Orta

Banned
Excellent shooter. The atmosphere was spot on, I've rarely felt as uncomfortable walking through a simple everyday office block.

Slo-mo and that shotgun, legendary.

thelastword

Banned
Yes, that's when PC had a gaming identity...….An excellent game......That A.I and those ballistics....Has the A.I in this FPS been eclipsed yet? I very much doubt so...….I think they should remake this game or the entire series FTM......

V2Tommy

Great game, but way too long. An FPS full of dark hallways and offices that’s longer than 6 hours is obnoxious.

JimiNutz

Banned
The gunplay and AI in this game was amazing.
I really liked Condemned as well.

Any rumours re what Monolith are working on next?

Last edited:

Orpheum

F.E.A.R. is an amazing shooter and it still holds up to this day. A remake would be a dream come true

on a sidenote i highly encourage you guys to watch this video about the entire franchise if you have some time to kill. It's really in depth and features every single game and analyses what they accomplished and what made them shitty (especially F.E.A.R 3 and F.E.A.R. online are major shitholes as we all know)

FEAR 3 is way better than 2. It even has better mech sections!
FEAR 2 does nothing right. Well I guess some of the colours are pretty and Alma is hot but who cares lol. It's a fucking piece of shit. I struggle to remember any combat encounters except for the puppeteers and the turret section at the end. FEAR 3 is a lot like the first game's expansions: it throws a fuckton of enemies at you and doesn't take itself as seriously as Monolith's games.

Awesome! The FEAR bundle has been on sale a stack of times something like 5 bucks, it's a steal. Did anyone else feel the second one played more like Virtua Cop? Might pick it up again, but it just felt a lot more arcadey (in a bad way) than the first one.
That sounds promising sirkick, the second and third ones have really divided fans.
Never used the slow mo, didn't really need it

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I played Doom, then was Half Life 2 and then was F.E.A.R.
It was a great compilation of fps

(I could say Metroid Prime 2, but it's very "adventurous", but keep in mind)

120v

Always wanted to play it (the first one) but too many issues with getting it to run well on win 10 (or whatever the culprit may be, about no game from that era runs without a hitch). Not asking for a full blown remaster/remake but an updated version would be nice

Bolivar687

Banned
The level design was repetitive and each setting dragged on for too long. When you study the AI, it was incredible, but in the moment it never blew me away. I like FEAR 2 more because of the variety and tighter weapon handling. I accept that I'm in the minority and acknowledge that the suspense was far better in the first game.

FEAR3 is fun but just ok.

Orta

Banned
As a massive fan of the original I loved the sequel too. It wasn't anywhere near as creepy, sacrificing tension for all out action but was still better than a lot of other fps's of the time.

There was one section however that was as scary as anything in the original, I think it was in an abandoned school where everything went apeshit once Alma turned up.

"Shotgun or not, I ain't going down that fucking corridor" I remember telling myself.

The original btw, didn't it require a pretty powerful rig to run at max settings? I can't remember if it was that or Far Cry I had to upgrade for.

Helios

The amount of sparks and other special effects when you shot a gun in that game was amazing for that time. Couple that with the fact that it had a really smart AI and it's no wonder that game is still fun to play to this day.
The dynamic lighting in that game was also great.
15A5AFCB49CED32E0FC62F575C45C557DC8E75BC

FEAR was such a remarkable FPS that somehow fizzled out after the first entry. The concept and execution was great, so it should be an IP that should be revived/rebooted.

Yeah it was a super solid game despite the infamous environment issues. Even the expansions were fairly decent.

I was always torn on some aspects though. For example I really like horror take and tone, to where you actually feel more "safe" during firefights, but then I dislike Alma character and the awful Jhorror motifs that went along with it. Also they had this amazing AI but they partially negate it by having the slo-mo feature so prominent. =P

I don't know if I need Monolith to revisit the series though. If they're going to revisit any past series I'd like them to give Blood another go so the travesty that was Blood 2 can be undone. I don't expect that to ever happen though.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I love F.E.A.R.

Was one of my favorite PC Games... i love the Mix of J.Horror and Western environment.

Still have a Badass Gameplay.. i love the Bullet time Effect and the Psicological Horror of the game, its like Ringu Movie.

Last edited:
F.E.A.R. and its expansions have my favorite gunplay of all time.

The sequels turned down the effects and changed the art style (no more “mist” of blood when shooting someone’s head off with the shotgun..,instead they used a big glop of blood. A tragic, sucky change. ..,harder to blow body parts off, less enemy chatter, etc.). The guns felt less effective, etc. I liked both sequels, but the mech sections were unnecessary and the shooting/combat action in the sequels were more like generic shooters when compared to the original. The sequels had their moments, but the first game was incredible.

Barakov

This is one of the all time classics. The combat, the AI and the horror elements mixed together make it one of favorite games of all time. There needs to be more games where you can jump kick special force soldiers in the face. The expansions and FEAR2 were pretty good as well.

F3AR can take a hike though. Who the hell thought that game was a good idea?

diffusionx

Gold Member
FEAR is one of the best action games ever. It might have the best shooting ever in a FPS, it definitely has some of the best AI, it's innovative, and the story is great.

Monolith's game list is so weird, for every NOLF and FEAR there is a Contract JACK or Blood 2.

Loke

F3AR can take a hike though. Who the hell thought that game was a good idea?

F.E.A.R. 3 did have some cool moments like the invisible "Creep" monster that hunted you throughout the game.

Unfortunately the game suffered from the usual tired generic game design bullshit from that time. One of my most disliked being doors magically closing and locking behind you as you enter a new room. It's just so blatantly obvious as well, they don't even try to hide it.

highrider

Banned
To this day probably one of the best.
Whip smart AI
Environmental destruction
Cool guns that interacted with the enemy appropriately. The laser sniper literally turned the guys in to charred skeletons. The spike gun pinning fools to the wall, still nothing that good today imo.
It’s also a clinic on how to make a game challenging through the sheer entertainment of the moment to moment gameplay.
I never liked the other games, just the first one. It was something special.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
FEAR is probably still my favorite FPS ever. Just feels so good to play, and despite the same-y looking environments, the levels flowed so well. I didn't think the console ports were good, though - even at the time, they were a pale imitation of the PC game.

I thought FEAR 2 was still excellent, though very different from the first game. It's a weaker game overall, but shooting stuff was still super fun.

Top Bottom