• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Far Cry Primal or "What's next for this series?"

Luke_Wal

After months of looking at Amazon pages waiting for a price drop that would never come (a thought which, as I inspect further, is almost worry of a thread all its own in this age where every game is $40 two months removed from its release, typically especially so for a Ubisoft title), a friend let me borrow a copy of Far Cry Primal on PS4, and WOW am I enjoying it.

In the past, I've greatly enjoyed both Far Cry 3 and 4, though I was unable to get into Blood Dragon, so the change of setting led me into Primal without a solid idea of what to expect. I found myself pleasantly surprised in a number of ways:

Even though there are only three primary weapons (at least, so far in the 8 hours I've played), with the bow providing essentially the same thing it did in 3 and 4, the club and the spear feel unique from any of the weapons in the previous Far Cry installments. Throwing these weapons in particular is quite a lot of fun, though it is infuriating how good these things can be hiding in tall grass.

Turning the "tag enemies with your camera/binoculars" trope on its head and replacing it with an owl is, in a word, ingenious. While I could go for slightly better owl controls, getting an overhead view is incredibly useful, and as the dive bomb attack involves, I can tell the owl will be a force to be reckoned with.

Sneaking around an enemy camp with a jaguar you can have attack people is just awesome.

Finally, the game is just beautiful. The way that the lighting, particularly at sunrise, interacts with the foliage and shines through the trees is just stunning, and it really sells the idea of a prehistoric world.

But all of this left me wondering: where does this leave the Far Cry franchise? Is the name "Far Cry" just an expectation of some variation of outposts and watchtowers? Is it Ubisoft's franchise with which they're willing to experiment, exchanging the "Brotherhoods" and "Revelations" of Assassin's Creed with moonshot settings you won't find anywhere else? Do we have an expectation of a Far Cry 5 that takes place in a roughly modern setting, with AK-47s and an evil dictator to topple, or are we going to just draw one of the settings from the January 2015 Far Cry Survey hat and see what works?

For memory, those settings were:
A Far Cry game in remote Alaska about surviving extreme wilderness
A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s
A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the late 19th century Americas
A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak
Blood Dragon 2. A sequel to Blood Dragon with more Rex Power Colt
A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world
A Far Cry game in the present day, set in a Jurassic Park Style island of dinosaurs
A Far Cry game based on the world of Shangri-La from Far Cry 4

I think there was an expectation that Primal came out of this, but it seems like a rushjob for a game to come out a year after the survey that revealed its setting, and Primal doesn't feel like a rushjob. So what's next? Which of these would you want? And should we expect one of these to be Far Cry 5, or its Blood Dragon/Primal?

DryvBy

I just finished this game. Really enjoyed it overall until I went for the platinum trophy. But the main campaign was pretty terrific.

I hope they go to the Wild West personally. I'd like to see their take.

Bladenic

I haven't played a Far Cry game since 2 because I recall that in that game, you would get aggroed by enemies constantly. Like, seriously, I would just be walking or driving to a destination and dudes would swarm for no reason.

Is this still the same? I was interested in this game when I watched a review that said saber tooth tigers attack you like every 5 steps lmao

Luke_Wal

I haven't played a Far Cry game since 2 because I recall that in that game, you would get aggroed by enemies constantly. Like, seriously, I would just be walking or driving to a destination and dudes would swarm for no reason.

Is this still the same? I was interested in this game when I watched a review that said saber tooth tigers attack you like every 5 steps lmao

No. When you take over outposts in 3, 4, and Primal, enemies largely leave you alone in those areas. However, at night, tigers and more vicious animals do come out to hunt you, though if you travel with an arrow, club, or spear that's lit on fire, most of them will stay away, and your beast can defend you.

120v

I'm playing Primal right now actually... did all the outposts and bonfires, just have story stuff to do. Hell I'm not even sure what to do next, no markers on the map or anything lol, but I'll figure it out

It was one of the funner new far crys but the story stuff was a huge drag , especially the stupid "vision" parts where youre a mammoth and have to plow down enemy hoardes or whatever. Annoying and completely unnecessary

Hoping the next game can interweave the story missions with the side stuff a little better. Just feels like two different games with the current formula.

As for setting I like that they're trying new stuff instead of cranking out numbered sequels. Hope to see some crazy stuff but I won't complain if far cry 5 is up next, granted it isn't another FC3 reskin

Chase17

Had a blast with the game. I need to go back to play 4 still though.

Very interested to see where the series goes from here. I imagine Far Cry 5 could be a fall 2017 game for Ubi.

Harmen

I haven't played it yet but I definitely will check out Primal sooner or later, I think the concept is awesome and like the FC series.

I just finished this game. Really enjoyed it overall until I went for the platinum trophy. But the main campaign was pretty terrific.

I hope they go to the Wild West personally. I'd like to see their take.

The Wild West would be awesome indeed.

RodzTF

I really enjoyed both Far Cry 3 & 4. FC3 had the better story and a great villain with Vaas, but the gameplay of FC4 was brilliant and ultimately what kept me entertained.

I recently bought and sold Primal after playing around 9-10 hours of it and never finishing it.

Initially I was looking forward to a shake-up for the series and the stone age period could have been very interesting. Ultimately, it just felt like a step backwards for the series.

The combat is my main gripe, I feel the club/spear hand-to-hand combat just doesn't work effectively or is satisfying. I couldn't care about the story or characters and the world just didn't entice me to explore it.

I'm hoping Ubisoft take a break from the series and return with FC4's gunplay with another gripping story and villain.

4jjiyoon

A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet

A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires

yes and yes

evanc

Neo Member
A lot of those sound very cool. I LOVED Far Cry Primal. Branching out with some weirder settings while keeping the large map/outpost gameplay elements would be great. I really hope they do a Far Cry Primal 2, although chances of that I'm sure are pretty much zero.

TannerDemoz

Whatever they do, it needs to have the same tongue-in-cheek humour as Blood Dragon. The writing and music for that were absolutely fantastic. All in 'in' jokes about the video game industry and gaming norms were top quality.

EGM1966

Nothing I think. Give it a rest would be my view. First was pretty great despite the flaws and really introduced some great sandbox environments for an FPS with a enjoyably cheesy "island of doctor moreau" plot. Since then they're trashed about with the IP in various ways with varying degrees of success.

Currently I find the IP somewhat meaningless and rudderless. All I expect is a generic Ubi title with a few test ideas and some random "you're stuck in location X trying to achieve Y" plot which doesn't really stack up.

Or they could go the Doom reboot route and re-start it, go back to "island of doctor moreau" and built something cohesive from there.

Or reboot it working off primal: whatever they need consistency rather than a vague title that I believe is losing any meaning in the marketplace anyway.

shiba5

I felt honest to god fear the first nights in the forest before you can tame an animal protector. Unfortunately, as soon as you tame something, you're pretty much safe and that feeling goes out the window. I know the Far Cry series isn't that genre, but I think there were hints of a real survival-type game there. I'd like to see them build on that in a new IP. Otherwise, I want Blood Dragon 2.

antitrop

I enjoyed Primal a lot, got the Platinum, but I'm ready for Far Cry with Guns again.

Primal's melee combat was sofaking weak.

DirtyLarry

iirc, I voted Wild West myself, and already see a few others feel that would be a good setting as well.

My secondary votes would be for either
A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world
or
A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s

Kazerei

Banned
I just finished the game earlier today. I feel like Primal was a worse game than FC3 and FC4, and yet I enjoyed Primal a bit more. The story wasn't compelling and the combat was dull, but I had fun dropping bombs from my owl and watching my tamed beasts wreck shit. The prehistoric setting was a nice way to shake up the series, and the game wrapped up before the gimmicks got old. I don't know if I'd play another prehistoric Far Cry. I'd rather see a new setting with new ideas. And keep it short and sweet.

theRizzle

Nice impressions. I have been debating whether to grab Primal or FC4 and have been leaning towards Primal because of how samey I hear it is to 3 and 4. I have played 3 and enjoyed the gameplay, but probably not enough to play two pretty similar games.

sjay1994

Yeah, picked it up for 23 bucks on Prime Day.

Enjoyed it. They did a lot of cool things with the tone, however ultimately it still felt like the standard ubi open world, which felt like a shame since I felt they could have done something a bit more niche with the setting.

The melee combat was also really meh.

As for whats next for the series, all I know is it and Assassins Creed are under a lot of scrutiny from ubi based on the lowered review scores compared to previous games.

So who knows.

Personally, them using settings people don't expect is pretty exciting.

Game was fun, but then I had a job transition and dropped it in the madness. Haven't picked it back up to complete it because that's what happens.

Top Bottom