• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy 7

sublimit

Banned
A truly great game that gets lots of hate because of its popularity. By far the best FF of the PS1 era.
IMO FFVII>>>>>>>>>>>FFIX>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FFVIII

I need to play it again once it hits the PS4.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any legitimately good, well balanced hard mode mods? I know there is that one that is supposed to be stupidly hard and gets so bad the creator says to just cheat. Not looking for that kind of stuff, just something that is less mindless. Even bosses in this game are extremely easy.

The near complete lack of difficulty is the reason I can't replay FF7. I get bored before I'm halfway through the game and just can't push myself to keep playing.

A truly great game that gets lots of hate because of its popularity. By far the best FF of the PS1 era.
IMO FFVII>>>>>>>>>>>FFIX>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FFVIII

I need to play it again once it hits the PS4.

Many people don't appreciate what it did. When this game came out, the PS1 was still the new next gen. Final Fantasy VII came out and the game had an entire 3D world for you to explore, from one continent to the next with "next gen" graphics it was insane. Back then games were not open world like our Elder Scrolls and Far Crys of today so it was really amazing, you got a sense of scale never before experienced.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Many people don't appreciate what it did. When this game came out, the PS1 was still the new next gen. Final Fantasy VII came out and the game had an entire 3D world for you to explore, from one continent to the next with "next gen" graphics it was insane. Back then games were not open world like our Elder Scrolls and Far Crys of today so it was really amazing, you got a sense of scale never before experienced.

See those mountains? You can go there.

chiliboy

fantastic game, so many fond memories of playing it during summer breaks in 1999...

Played through it again in 2013, still fantastic :)

Ruff

I'll never forget the first time I hit the literal end of the road at midgar and my 7 year old self thought I had finished the game.

I have played this countless times since it came out and I've never been in to the honey bee... Erm how do you do it and when

It took me a few times to discover you can actually go inside as well, because I was a dumb kid who didn't speak with every NPC whenever possible.

Right before the screen transition to the honey bee entrance there's this chubby dude walking around, he can't decide if he should go or not. Speak to him again once you've triggered the crossdressing quest and he'll give you his entrance ticket.

pLow7

FF7 is incredibly easy... there is nothing you really need to do to prepare and suggestions on how to make the game easier are only going to turn the game into even more of a slog IMO.

Once you get to end game, just play Golden Saucer til you're bored of the game... the ending is poo and the final fight sequence is laughably bad.

The best fun to be had is chocobo breeding and racing.

Yeah, you surely fought de Demon Door without leveling or any Strategy. The guy who one-hits any Party-member.

spons

Gold Member
I actually started another run a couple of days ago but the beginning in Midgar is such as damn chore. Just let me out of there and into the world map, please. I'm really trying to like the first part but it's basically the entirety of FF XIII compressed into 5 hours. Linear gameplay, heavily story-driven.

It took me a few times to discover you can actually go inside as well, because I was a dumb kid who didn't speak with every NPC whenever possible.

Right before the screen transition to the honey bee entrance there's this chubby dude walking around, he can't decide if he should go or not. Speak to him again once you've triggered the crossdressing quest and he'll give you his entrance ticket.

Well better dust down the Vita. Thanks so much! Now I'll need to beat ruby and emerald weapon on this run. Never managed it no matter what I tried...

Yeah, you surely fought de Demon Door without leveling or any Strategy. The guy who one-hits any Party-member.

If the majority of the people who played the game beat it before massive walkthroughs and tons of people dropping hints, I'm sure anyone today just starting it will be able to manage just fine as well. As I said, FF7 is not a hard game by any means, and as with ANY JRPG then or now, if you can't beat a section you merely have to brute force it with a few extra levels.

First post tells the truth, absolute truth.

It's not even the best game made by Square (enix). It's not even the best Final Fantasy game. It's not even the best Final Fantasy game on the PS1.

It's by no means a bad game by any stretch of the term... but it's by no means the best game ever made by the same token. We can start with the terrible translation, the horrible in-game models, the long over winded cutscenes, the cliched and 'classic' JRPG story of "the planet is doomed and only we can stop it!", etc just to scratch the surface... and what they've done to poor Cloud SINCE FF7 is just criminal as well.

JoeNut

Dont do the item dupe glitch.

Play how it's supposed to be played, without a guide and enjoy it like everyone did their first time.

-Ryn

Banned
Enjoy playing the earthly manifestation of gaming god OP

I'm jealous you get to play it for the first time

It's not even the best game made by Square (enix). It's not even the best Final Fantasy game. It's not even the best Final Fantasy game on the PS1.

It's by no means a bad game by any stretch of the term... but it's by no means the best game ever made by the same token. We can start with the terrible translation, the horrible in-game models, the long over winded cutscenes, the cliched and 'classic' JRPG story of "the planet is doomed and only we can stop it!", etc just to scratch the surface... and what they've done to poor Cloud SINCE FF7 is just criminal as well.
Translation never seemed that bad to me, the in game models look fine not only for the time but also in style, I thought the cutscenes were great and unobtrusive, that story remark isn't even a legitamate criticism and lastly, Cloud is fine. Granted there were some questionable decisions but he's still great.

I'll never forget the first time I hit the literal end of the road at midgar and my 7 year old self thought I had finished the game.

Yup. Utterly amazing. When I started the 2nd bombing mission, my 9 year old self thought "Oh, cool, so this is the game. You do gradually harder and harder missions for AVALANCHE, cool!" I'd never played a JRPG, I didn't know what one was and I didn't know that FF7 was one. Then all the weird shit at Shinra happens, you end up at the end of that road and... holy shit. There's this whole map. This whole world. With many other cities?! AAHH.

Of course, none of the other cities were really quite as bit as Midgar but man, that was a sense of liberation and potential that I don't think even Mario 64 topped for me. The scale was unfathomably big and like others have said, it was just without parallel at the time, in my experience at least.

I was so hyped for this game before it's release and it was my first ever RPG. I played it and wondered what the hell I'd bought, but once I got into it I absolutely loved it. I also wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was gobsmacked that once I got out of Midgar, there was this giant world to explore lol. It's not aged nicely but what it was at the time was amazing. The music is still amazing to this day.

Carn82

Yup. Utterly amazing. When I started the 2nd bombing mission, my 9 year old self thought "Oh, cool, so this is the game. You do gradually harder and harder missions for AVALANCHE, cool!" I'd never played a JRPG, I didn't know what one was and I didn't know that FF7 was one. Then all the weird shit at Shinra happens, you end up at the end of that road and... holy shit. There's this whole map. This whole world. With many other cities?! AAHH.

Of course, none of the other cities were really quite as bit as Midgar but man, that was a sense of liberation and potential that I don't think even Mario 64 topped for me. The scale was unfathomably big and like others have said, it was just without parallel at the time, in my experience at least.

This is pretty much my experience as well. I remember thinking "This game..it's like..a big book :| "

Translation never seemed that bad to me, the in game models look fine not only for the time but also in style, I thought the cutscenes were great and unobtrusive, that story remark isn't even a legitamate criticism and lastly, Cloud is fine. Granted there were some questionable decisions but he's still great.

1. The translation not bothering you don't mean it wasn't bad. Many items were mistranslated (including collecting a 'final ether' in the snow mountain area), many scenes were quite hard to read and made little sense (examples include when you're first introduced to the honey bee inn).

2. The in-game models were a train wreck then and haven't aged better today. It's clear they were trying to go with a 3D 'chibi' style akin to 2D FF games like FF6... but the results are horrid and there is no doubt why such a style was never tried again... anywhere... by anyone.

3. The cutscenes are a matter of personal preference I guess.

4. The story remark IS a legitimate one... It's tropey and does little that wasn't done elsewhere and better previously. I didn't even touch on the characters which range from decent (Cloud and Tifa especially feature a lot of growth) to terrible (Cait Sith and everything that has to do with him, his 'sacrifice', etc) And Sephiroth as a villian is just... well...
The greatest hero/villian in the universe is a gigantic mama's boy that wants to become God because... well... He does love Jenovah so much! But that's okay, Cloud will come in the end, do an Omnislash and everyone lives happily ever after, the end.

5. As for Cloud being fine....
He went from a know it all, over confident, playboy to a broken shell of a human being, so finally coming around and becoming a well rounded and balanced character. Immediately afterwards Square did their best to play up the side of him which all the tweens and girls liked... The emo pretty boy. The Final Fantasy 7 movie had Cloud be so angsty it literally hurt to watch... And nothing has improved with future renditions or blips he's been in other games or segments... They broke the most interesting and well rounded character in FF7 and turned him into a 1 dimensional whiney pretty boy... I think that's pretty shitty personally.

But to each their own... As I said, FF7 is far from a terrible game... but as far as best game ever? As I said, it's not even the best Final Fantasy on PS1, let alone the best Final Fantasy/RPG/game ever.

The game doesn't really begin until you
leave Midgar
. One of the most enjoyable FF stories around. Play without a guide and have fun.

Are there previous JRPGS with an
unreliable narrator like Cloud? Genuine question. I thought the whole thing with his want-to-believe flashback really cool. Especially how you slowly piece stuff together and then replicate what actually happened.
. So yeah, curious if if that whole thing has actually 'been done elsewhere and better previously'

sephiroth7x

Its fine to say this isn't the greatest of all time but the reasons you use are terrible.

Translation was average yeah... but not indiscernible. The in game models weren't horrible at the time, albeit not brilliant but were more than sufficient for the job. Over winded cut scenes? Its an RPG... all RPG's have cut scenes that explain story. Clichéd story? If 'the world is about to be destroyed and only we can save it' is a reason for slating the game then lets start with nearly 90% of all other games... including modern RPGs like Oblivion and Skyrim or COD?

The only thing I agree with you on is what they have done to Cloud since... completely agree with you. But that has nothing to do with FFVII... that was all after.

The game isn't perfect but it was as close as possible at that time and at that point in generational development.

2. The in-game models were a train wreck then and haven't aged better today. It's clear they were trying to go with a 3D 'chibi' style akin to 2D FF games like FF6... but the results are horrid and there is no doubt why such a style was never tried again... anywhere... by anyone.

FFIX saw the return of the Chibi style, the whole game was an homage to the franchise (You'll realise there's so many references to past games compared to other FF games) before it makes a drastic change and removes the world map in future games. Something I read in a Playstation magazine.

Its fine to say this isn't the greatest of all time but the reasons you use are terrible.

Personal opinions. You're free to disagree with them...

FFIX saw the return of the Chibi style, the whole game was an homage to the franchise (You'll realise there's so many references to past games compared to other FF games) before it makes a drastic change and removes the world map in future games. Something I read in a Playstation magazine.

FF9 was in Chibi style, but not in the same way. FF7 emphasized head, hands, and feet. FF9 emphasized head while maintaining better proportions of the rest of the body. You can argue which is better on a personal taste level but there is no doubt that the FF7 style wasn't tried again.

Yes, a thousand times this.

I remember playing the first FF on NES back in the day but I never got very far in it (if I remember right, I never got through the Marsh Cave and got the Herb successfully). FF7 was the first game in the series I actually beat. I still term that feeling you and I got "The Midgar Effect", and it's the singular reason I didn't like FFXII,
because we never got that in XII, and I kept waiting for it to happen and then it just...kinda...ended.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Are there previous JRPGS with an
unreliable narrator like Cloud? Genuine question. I thought the whole thing with his want-to-believe flashback really cool. Especially how you slowly piece stuff together and then replicate what actually happened.
. So yeah, curious if if that whole thing has actually 'been done elsewhere and better previously'

Not exactly the same thing, but Final Fantasy Tactics had a really cool framed narrative where the accepted history of the War of the Lions is completely wrong. A book (written by one of your party members) tells the true story of what really happened, and those events make up the game.

How to level up limits:

Limits work in two categories.

Levels, and additions.

For instance, Cloud starts with the Level 1 limit: Braver.

Cloud can obtain a new limit via two methods.

Either A, use Braver X times to gain an additional limit of that level.
Or B, kills Y enemies as that specific character to gain your next level limit.

These numbers are not accurate but something like

Cloud
Use Braver 8 times -> Cross-Slash
Kill 120 enemies - > Blade Beam

Every character works this way to some degree. Some characters have smaller or bigger numbers.

Every Final Limit is an item that has to be obtained in game, and can only be used when that character has reached the second highest limit level of their max.

TL;DR
Use your limits as you get them. Do not horde them for unexpected boss fights, you'll stunt your growth doing that.

Pilgrimzero

Due to the PS1's popularity and it being the first console for a lot of gamers, they f.eel that FF7 is "the best in the series/game ever"

For someone who was gamer before the PS1, FF7 while fun, it isn't "the best".

If you want to go for story it's probably FF6. If you want to include other Square games it's Chrono Trigger by miles.

Not saying FF7 is "bad" by any means. But a lot of rose colored glasses where it's concerned.

I think some people misconstrue non-worship as hate.

Nothing wrong with being critical of it, but I remember very clearly there being a pendulum effect about FF7's popularity. For a while it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, then people played the prior entries and declared FF6 to be the best ever and how could anyone like FF7 what a pile of crap, and the pendulum has swung back to oh man I forgot how awesome this game was how could anyone have hated this game.

I'm not saying it's you, but I'm saying I have seen several people go through this exact cycle.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Due to the PS1's popularity and it being the first console for a lot of gamers, they f.eel that FF7 is "the best in the series/game ever"

For someone who was gamer before the PS1, FF7 while fun, it isn't "the best".

If you want to go for story it's probably FF6. If you want to include other Square games it's Chrono Trigger by miles.

Not saying FF7 is "bad" by any means. But a lot of rose colored glasses where it's concerned.

I cut my teeth on Breath of Fire 1&2, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Lunar 1&2, and Shining Force 1&2. I still consider Final Fantasy VII to be a revelation and one of the best (though perhaps not THE best) JRPGs of all time.

I honestly don't get this attitude like FF VII was not a big deal if you had played the great 16-bit JRPGs. It absolutely was.

GenericUser

Best atmosphere in a Videogame, ever. Better then ever movie of book I saw or read. Its the best of the best, the must play, the omnisphere, the alpha and the omega. I love it, mankind loves it. A testament for creativity, a blessing, a myth, a spectacle. This game was one of the defining moments of my life.

Junahu

Sephiroth as a villian is just... well...
The greatest hero/villian in the universe is a gigantic mama's boy that wants to become God because... well... He does love Jenovah so much! But that's okay, Cloud will come in the end, do an Omnislash and everyone lives happily ever after, the end.
That's deliberately reductive.
Sephiroth is a product of his manipulated birth, the parasitism of the Jenova cells inside him, and his upbringing as a soldier. His "family"; Hojo, and Lucrecia, and Jenova, molded an ordinary boy into a monster for their own ends. Sephiroth is a tragic, pitiful antagonist.

Gandalf

I'll play through it for the umpteenth time when it comes to PS4. Trophy support too right? I'll be hopefully getting that Platinum. I'm sure I've seen and done everything the game has to offer... So should be fairly straightforward.

Enjoy it OP. I kinda jealous you're playing it for the first time.

Top Bottom