• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Games That Were Ruined By the Hype

I was just thinking about about Castlevania X Rondo of Blood.

007bdb13e87561ddc6d5d7d1f3ff2510.jpg

Having not owned a PC Engine, for years this game was the Holy Grail among Castlevania fans. I devoured any info and media I could get my hands on. Years later I would finally get to play it on on the PSP, and it was good, but the years hype surrounding it, advances in control thanks to Symphony of the Night, and having heard the soundtrack already, I found it all kind of ruined the experience.

Another game that suffered a similar fate for me was Nights Into Dreams

250px-NightsIntoDreamsBox.jpg

I didn't own a Saturn and would finally get to play it years later after hearing friends of mine wax on about it. I enjoyed it but their nonstop gushing kind of ruined it for me.

What games did you play late whose experience were ruined either by your own hype or due to someone elses?

Phediuk

I thought Panzer Dragoon Saga was merely okay.

I believe its rarity has led people to exaggerate its quality.

Moobabe

I think the last two games I got really swept up in the hype for were Diablo 3 and Overwatch.

Diablo I was on board from the start, but the launch issues (which are well documented) really soured me on it. It's a much better game now, but man...

And Overwatch. Well I was never really on board for that, but all my mates played the beta and waxed lyrical over it so I bought it. I played it and it's enjoyable enough, but their hype really made me hope for something more.

Sephzilla

I was late to the party on The Last of Us and I went into that game hearing about how it was apparently the greatest thing ever made. At the end of the game I definitely enjoyed it but I didn't think it was anything that special.

I didn't think the intro was all that heartbreaking and I also thought the ending was kind of meh.

As bad as it actually was, what ultimately ruined Watch Dogs for me was both the excessive hype and the absurd post-release cynism and gloom surrounding it. Completely colored my perceptions.

Phediuk

Another overrated Saturn game would be Burning Rangers.

Yeah, I get it, it was a super-late release, and it's impressive that they managed a fully-polygonal action-adventure game on the Saturn.

But I just don't find it very fun, and it's obvious the hardware is struggling to keep up with it.

Everyone acted like Witcher 3 was perfect and flawless but then I got ahold of its weak AC/Arkham- like combat and got kinda mad at everyone for leaving that important detail out 😡😡😡

Neptonic

Probably the new Hitman. Giant Bomb hyped me to hell about how awesome it was, and I loved watching them play. But when I finally bought it the performance was terrible on my PC, and while it played way better than blood money I kept getting frustrated at the guards who guarded staircases. They were in the wide open, there were always 2 of them, and one was always suspicious of me. It felt like a chore to move around the Paris map.

Also, you ruined Rondo for yourself thinking it would be like SoTN. It's the best of the CLASSIC Castlevanias, not the best Castlevania. And NiGHTs has always been a terrible game.

Another overrated Saturn game would be Burning Rangers.

Yeah, I get it, it was a super-late release, and it's impressive that they managed a fully-polygonal action-adventure game on the Saturn.

But I just don't find it very fun, and it's obvious the hardware is struggling to keep up with it.

Did you use analog controls on the 3D controller? That might squeeze out a bit more enjoyment out

_Rob_

Resident Evil 4, I skipped it thinking it looked like a generic shooter. Eventually got around to it after being convinced it's a seriously good survival horror; 2 hours in I gave up, bored to tears.

I am dutifully informed it is in fact me that is the problem and not the game however.

Gonna go with Heavenly Sword

It was a decent game. But it was hyped to heck and back as the next coming of God Of War. Had it just released without much build up I would have enjoyed it more

Nights was never good

Halo 5 for me. not that it caught the world on fire but there is so much "it's the best the multiplayer has ever been, at least" and I couldn't disagree more. I picked it up shortly after i bought an xbox one s It's the hardest i've bounced off a halo even not having been a huge halo fan before so I dont have any real attachment to the old games

No Man's Sky the thread

If ever a 'the thread' is appropriate, it's here

considering the OP is
What games did you play late whose experience were ruined either by your own hype or due to someone elses?

its actually one of the most wrong answers you could come up with

you and the 1st post

TLOU for me. I wanted it to be so good. I enjoyed it, sure, but I never beat it. Nothing in the game stood out as exceptional, aside from the amazing graphics. I got 2/3 of the way through it, had to return my copy to a friend, and I've got zero desire to play the rest.

When I played it, the PS4 version was a couple weeks away. I wanted to play it on the PS3, as I am a big fan of seeing how devs can get the most out of consoles in the later part of every gen. It took 4 different copies of the game for it to actually load past the main menu. That didn't help, it it sure didn't hurt the game.

Journey. I spent the years I had not having a Sony system hearing about how it's an emotional rollercoaster and one of the greatest games of recent years. Picked it up when I got a PS4 late last year, completed it but was bored to death by both the gameplay and the narrative

Selddon

Banned
Mass Effect 2 is one of the most acclaimed games of all time, even the DLC has extremely high ratings. I thought it was pretty mediocre and how it managed to sway the critics made downright despise it

guek

Banned
TLOU for me. I wanted it to be so good. I enjoyed it, sure, but I never beat it. Nothing in the game stood out as exceptional, aside from the amazing graphics. I got 2/3 of the way through it, had to return my copy to a friend, and I've got zero desire to play the rest.

I beat it (and the DLC too) but yeah, 100% agree. I couldn't get over how self serious it was while using some of the most tired movie and game tropes ever in an attempt to be more "cinematic". The same 2 or 3 puzzle types showing up again and again didn't help either.

The game is a solid 8/10 for me but nothing really special. I vastly prefer RE4 which had superior gameplay as well as having the sense to revel in its own cheesyness and B-movie inspired plot.

TLOU was described to me as an impossibly amazing game, so I decided to play it.

What I got instead was a fairly standard 3rd person shooter with overwhelmingly unexceptional gameplay and a shockingly derivative post-apocalyptic story.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was late to the party on The Last of Us and I went into that game hearing about how it was apparently the greatest thing ever made. At the end of the game I definitely enjoyed it but I didn't think it was anything that special.

I didn't think the intro was all that heartbreaking and I also thought the ending was kind of meh.

I think that about most naughty dog games minus Uncharted 2.

Yea, I said it.

bobawesome

I was really, really looking forward to Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness. I bought the LE PS4 version at launch and never touched it due to being preoccupied by Umineko. I ended up forgetting about it until recently when I was invited to beta test the PC version. It's just...an alright VN so far. Granted, I'm only 6 or 7 hours into it but it's far less exciting than the anime. The best thing about it is probably its take on 2048 tucked away in the main menu.

I didnt play the last of us til like 2 years after it came out, and well it just didnt grab me in the same way i was told it would. Mind you i enjoyed a lot of things about it, but there were a lot of instances where i found myself bored or even underwhelmed, which honestly i blame myself for for having so much of the game spoiled for me by that point.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah chalk me into the TLOU crowd.

It was a solid game but the hype around it still baffles me, and I've lived through a lot of hypes

Didn't get to play it until the PS4 Version either

I never got past the speedboat in Half Life 2 when the Orange Box came to PS3. I have no desire to ever go back.
I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that it was probably very impressive when it came out.

To be honest, I never look at a highly regarded game I missed and think - "impress me."
I just play it and gauge it on its own strengths and weaknesses. In that sense I don't think I've ever been seriously let down by an older highly regarded game. I just don't ever hype myself up really.

zeemumu

No Man's Sky the thread

If ever a 'the thread' is appropriate, it's here

I don't know if the hype ruined that or if failure to keep promises did. It's a little bit of both

The Order, Half Life 3, and Duke Nukem forever (among many other problems) seem like the biggest ones

DemWalls

Everyone acted like Witcher 3 was perfect and flawless but then I got ahold of its weak AC/Arkham- like combat and got kinda mad at everyone for leaving that important detail out 😡😡😡

You must have read a lot of impressions, especially on Gaf.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The tail really was wagging the dog with the No Man's Sky hype around here. Just a little bit of footage and tons of posters calling it the only game they'd ever need. I know there were promises that weren't kept, but even if you took those into account the imaginary game people had in their minds was never going to happen...yet all blame was placed on these poor guys making the game rather than turned inwards a bit as it should've been.

Memento

When I played it, the PS4 version was a couple weeks away. I wanted to play it on the PS3, as I am a big fan of seeing how devs can get the most out of consoles in the later part of every gen. It took 4 different copies of the game for it to actually load past the main menu. That didn't help, it it sure didn't hurt the game.

Did you reach Winter?

Type-0 hurts. I was only hyped because the people who could play it swore it was amazing, turns out PSP owners just have really low standards.

That said, the HD port was doing it no favors. Horrible graphics, shitty motion blur, camera waaaaaaaaaaaay too close to your character.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Probably the new Hitman. Giant Bomb hyped me to hell about how awesome it was, and I loved watching them play. But when I finally bought it the performance was terrible on my PC, and while it played way better than blood money I kept getting frustrated at the guards who guarded staircases. They were in the wide open, there were always 2 of them, and one was always suspicious of me. It felt like a chore to move around the Paris map.
It's almost like the game was designed to have challenge or something and not just be a comedy simulator

Lom1lo

Halo 5 Campaign, hunt the truth was insane
No Mans Sky, I dont think this needs an explanation
Ucharted 3, I loved 2 but 3 was shit
Gears 4, I dont really know why, maybe I didnt like it because of the robots (ruined halo 5 for me too)

Fucking Halo 5 and its Hunt the Truth shit, why was such an interesting series wasted as build up for a plot that never happened is beyond me

DrArchon

I wouldn't go as far as to say my experience was ruined, but I was a bit let down with Bayonetta 1. Everyone's right the the core combat is phenomenal, but everyone neglects to mention the other, shittier parts of the game, like the terrible instant-death QTEs, the motorcycle and missile riding sections that last for too long, the story that makes no sense.

At least it made Bayo 2 all the sweeter to play.

Top Bottom