• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Grandia (PSX)

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
HZWVjIB.jpg

Having just recently moved into a camper in the middle of nowhere with no internet service, I had to find something to do with my free time. The PS3 recently croaked and I left the Wii with my exes’ kids, because yeah. I’d owned both Grandia and Lunar: Silver Star Story for a while and had been too busy to play them, but now alone with only a PS2 and lots of boredom, it was time.

Anyhow, I started with Grandia first because I’ve haven’t played a jRPG in a few years and it seemed more accessible. I value story a lot and so my standard for games with more light-hearted or conventional plots/characters is set pretty high. Chrono Trigger, as it happens to be, is my favorite game of all time, but that's an exception. From the jump, I’d heard the story a dozen times before…excavation of ancient technology (FFVI, Xenogears, Skies of Arcadia), and a tyrannical government set on colonizing and dominating the world, of which a single figure is at the helm secretly wanting to destroy the world (FFVII, every other jRPG in existence). No surprises here. However, despite knowing I wasn’t in for any surprises I stuck with it and gave Grandia the benefit of the doubt because it was released several years before most of the other similar games I’d already played.

While I enjoyed the Nausicaa vibe, a lot of the Mexica-inspired art design of the world was generic , especially when compared to the gorgeous pre-rendered settings of Saga Frontier, Chrono Cross, FF7-9, but again this was originally on Saturn so, gotta cut some slack in that department... The pixel art and animations were better, and I couldn't help but think that without this game, Xenogears would never have existed, or at least would have been drastically different in terms of visual presentation.

VO0HCUu.jpg

The character design (especially Justin and Feena), I thought was pretty stellar - simple, 90’s anime art and likable designs - but the characters themselves were as expected: entirely one dimensional in terms of personality (or lack-thereof). Despite the intimacy of having dinner together with your characters after each ‘day,’ - a nice addition - their individual development is little more than from A to B through the entire game, and to be honest I wanted to scream at Justin several times to make a damn move on Feena already.

9x6pH9B.jpg

Voice acting. Mostly bad, sometimes even really bad, but again par for the course given the era. The only cringe worthy VA was Milda, y’all. Real southern, y’all. A bit over the top, y’all. Battle dialogue of most everyone was funny bad, and only sometimes annoying. “Ha! Here goes…! HA! Take That!” x 6,000.

All of this so far, you have a fairly underwhelming game. But as I had heard Grandia is all about the battle system and that is indeed the case. The battle system is very strong and in general it is just fun to play and level up in this game. I liked how there were stat boosters everywhere on the field maps, which adds to the constant sense of gradually progressing. Naturally, the most entertainment I had in the game was the Tower of Temptation, due the difficulty, the reward once you reach the top, and plethora of puzzles and bosses and maze navigation. Maybe I should get into dungeon crawlers...

I actually didn’t have a problem with the ending, as some people seem complain about.
I thought it was neat seeing Sue grown up (into a serious megababe(!), no less), and cute seeing all this mini Justin and Feenas. Didn’t really mind that the developers chose to leave the rest to the imagination.

fPcfkQh.jpg

Overall, I'd say it's a good game. Simply decent in many areas, but also really endearing in others. I actually came to appreciate the battle system even more once I started Lunar, immediately after. Maybe I’ll do a thread on that next once I complete it.

Your thoughts on Grandia, GAF?

Great game, terrible voiceacting. Justin is like a 40 year old man pretending to be 12. But the voice acting was so bad it's good. Not quite as good as Star Ocean The Second Story bad, but still a good class of cheese and terribleness.

Trago

Fucking awesome that you got to experience this game!

It's the first RPG I beat by myself. Such a great adventure of a game.

Aeana

What's the battle system like in this one? Turn based? I really like the art.
It has one of the best menu driven combat systems. It's a time based system where you can interrupt and push back enemy attacks. Penny Arcade 3 and Child of Light ripped it off wholesale.

It has one of the best menu driven combat systems. It's a time based system where you can interrupt and push back enemy attacks. Penny Arcade 3 and Child of Light ripped it off wholesale.

I wouldn't say Child of Light is a full ripoff. There's a lot of stuff they made somewhat worse. Though Grandia 2 is the more refined version of the battle system and my favorite.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Amazing game. Grandia 2 sounds like it might be more up your alley, OP. On Steam it even has dual audio.

WarAdept

Exceptional menu based system where everything is about progressing and pushing back attacks on a timeline.

If you've played Child of Light, it's a direct ripoff of it.

VO is horrid. HORRID.

And as a kid, I was super annoyed that you can't collect party members. Characters come and go and by the end you get a final 4 and that's it.

Patryn

I love the game, but I still find it odd that you start the game playing make believe like a little kid, and end it married with kids and it's not like there's a lot of time in between.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests

Kind of turn-based, I guess. There is a single turn gauge, where all of the characters and enemies have icons that go through three phases, essentially wait, command, and action. how fast they move comparatively depends on the character's speed stats. You can also knock back enemies or be knocked back by attacks. There is a good deal of micro-strategy involved with who attacks which enemy or which parts of enemies in a certain order.

My avatar is Grandia II which I love. Never played the original Grandia since, at the time, I only had a Dreamcast but not a PS1. I have both consoles now, so I need to get around to playing it!

Definitely my favorite turn-based battle system.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Great game. The sequel is even better IMO. Wonderful that they ported this to PSN, I just wish it was on Steam as well.

Steam has Grandia II and that is a great version of that game, hopefully this one shows up soon too.

robotuw

I love this game so much. It was my first real JRPG, which undoubtedly is a big part of why I like it. JRPG's are still one of my favorite genres after all these years thanks to this game. It's tough to say how I would feel coming to it for the first time now, but the battle system remains fantastic. It was an early game to do voice acting, as terrible as it was, and I really liked the full symphonic soundtrack. Just try and tell me this isn't a great main theme that makes you want to go an adventure.

Patryn

Kind of turn-based, I guess. There is a single turn guage, where all of the characters and enemies have icons that go through three phases, essentially wait, command, and action. how fast they move comparatively depends on the character's speed stats. There is a good deal of micro-strategy involved with who attacks which enemy or which parts of enemies in a certain order.

It's also important to note that certain attacks can either delay a character's action or even cancel an action altogether.

So there is an element of timing and knowing when best to use what attack.

My avatar is Grandia II which I love. Never played the original Grandia since, at the time, I only had a Dreamcast but not a PS1. I have both consoles now, so I need to get around to playing it!

Definitely my favorite turn-based battle system.

Story's better, combat system is worse. The characters feel like they have more soul in the original grandia, but with significantly worse voice actors.

I think I played this right after finishing FF8 back in the day when it was released in PSX. This game felt like...a palate cleanser from that mess of a story. Simple, engaging, Incredible combat system, excellent battle themes. Seriously, I could play this game once a year easily.

Lothar

Banned
I didn't think the battles were that great. For one thing, it was too easy. I never came close to losing ever. For another, the spell animations took a long time. And it was to your benefit to keep using spells even when you didn't have to in order to get magic experience. How many times did I have to sit through that 15 second Tremor animation? It felt like thousands.

The story was fun though but just in the first half.

The game was okay. I prefer Lunar.

Marow

Really wish I could play this! I like Grandia 2, but this one has always seemed to be like one wonderful adventure. Still holding out for a PC re-release, but I'm starting to doubt it at this point :(

If it's anything like Grandia 2, which it seems to be alongside the rest of the series, it just so happens to be the best JRPG battle system that never caught on for god knows why. A perfect mix of turn based choices with action.

I didn't think the battles were that great. For one thing, it was too easy. I never came close to losing ever. For another, the spell animations took a long time. And it was to your benefit to keep using spells even when you didn't have to in order to get magic experience. How many times did I have to sit through that 15 second Tremor animation? It felt like thousands.

The story was fun though but just in the first half.

The game was okay. I prefer Lunar.

I can understand you feeling that way about powering up abilities. When you play the game enough, there are MUCH faster ways to power up, mainly using the special moves that have multiple elements attached. I think I used spells mainly at the beginning, and then after that special move spam all day. Especially using Rah-Rah Cheer, and any of Justins element sword moves.

Trago

I think I played this right after finishing FF8 back in the day when it was released in PSX. This game felt like...a palate cleanser from that mess of a story. Simple, engaging, Incredible combat system, excellent battle themes. Seriously, I could play this game once a year easily.

Yeah, Final Fantasy VII and VIII had some flaws. My older cousins would have to explain like heck to me what was going on. But when I got this game, it was considerably less convoluted, at least from my perspective as a kid. It was just some kids on an adventure.

Nostalgia does heavily color my perception of this game, but fuck it. I can look past its flaws. I really love this game.

Shahed

I absolutely adore this game. While the sequels have some better mechanics here and there, this still has a turn based battle system that it just sublime and fun to use. It has it's issues with some weird censorship and long battle animations for spells and stuff, but it's still so good

But more than anything else I love the sense of adventure. That feeling of light hearted fun and excitement as you want to see the next place, to see what's around the corner and to journey wherever you can. It's a feeling few games can capture to any meaningful degree, but this game is one of the only ones I can recall doing so along side Skies of Arcadia, hence the reason they both resonante with me so much.

Paracelsus

Overcrowded environments make for some garbage headache-inducing dungeon crawling, especially on psp where it's a mess. Other than that, amazing game.

Wolfe

One of my favorite PS games and one that I still have the original game and case for still in like new condition (picked it up used at FuncoLand for 15 bucks way back).

Yeah the battle system is definitely what hooked me, I still enjoy everything else about the game but I will admit it's been at least a decade since I last played it too.

Linkura

My favorite in the series and one of my favorite games of all time. One of the few games I've played where the shitty voiceacting adds to the charm- Star Ocean 2 is another one. Can't say enough about how great this game is.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My favorite in the series and one of my favorite games of all time. One of the few games I've played where the shitty voiceacting adds to the charm- Star Ocean 2 is another one. Can't say enough about how great this game is.
You're right about the VA in both games. It's absolutely awful, but charming despite of, or even because of, that fact. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking.

TheChamp

THIS GAME.... soooooo good my fave RPG game by miles has anyone played Grandia Redux basically a rom hack thats x10 harder than the base game so hard

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
or Justin you pervert :D

You're right about the VA in both games. It's absolutely awful, but charming despite of, or even because of, that fact. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking.

Now imagine Dan Hibiki with Claude's voiceactor.

latest

I CAN"T AFFORD TO LOSE!
NOOOOO!
MOTHERRRRR!
WAHHH! THIS CAN"T BE!

TEAR INTA PIECES!

THIS IS MY POWER!
THAT"S SOMEWHERE AROUND EIGHTY POINTS.

Making Dan great again.

I normally hate bad voice acting, but I really find the cheesiness of it very endearing as well. The near end of disk 1 when you have to say goodbye to someone...It just gets me in the feels EVERYTIME...you guys are making me want to play it again...

Rektash

I forced my way through the first disc more than 15 years ago but never finished the game. I thought the story was terribly paced and characters were unbearable. The combat was passable, but overall the game didn't feel all that interesting to play either. I can't remember a single song from the OST and the voice acting was terrible, even for a gen 5 game.

Come fight me!

I love the game and it has a special lace in my heart, as does Grandia 2, but when i replayed Grandia 1 this year i just got bored in the desert area near the end of the game (with the optional dungeon?) I really should go back to it

flozuki

Saturn version never came out in America. Most people know the Playstation port is heavily inferior on the sprites and the zooming effects, but superior on the actual 3d effects in battle.

The Saturn version was superior in far more areas as far as I remember (fps and battle arenas and I think even sharpness in general) Good times and good to know that not just we Europeans were left out with a Pal version^^

I forced my way through the first disc 15 years ago but never finished the game. I thought the story was terribly paced and characters were unbearable. The combat was passable, but overall the game didn't feel all that interesting to play either. I can't remember a single song from the OST.

Come fight me!

It's on, buddy! I understand where you are coming from. This game came out at the perfect time for me, and for that reason, it will always be special to me, but If you played the first disk and did not like it, that is fine.

Have you tried any of the other games in the series? Part two might be more up your alley.

The PSX version has sprite shadows also which looks nice. Plus full dual analog support.

Are you sure on that? I recall the Playstation wasn't actually able to do any 2d graphics. It has no 2d graphics processor and what it's doing is using a flat 3d polygon or some such trickery to appear 2d. The shadowing is more of a 3d effect rather than a true 2d effect.

I remember the Dual analog support though. It kind of helped when just wandering around in the outside looking to level up. That Playstation Dpad was murder on thumbs.

Myriadis

Played through it and really enjoyed it. The first maps are fairly weak but they get better, and not to forget the artstyle is fairly lovely. I loved the dialogues and the cheery personality of the main character, which helped giving the whole game a very positive feel. The battle system was enjoyable, but after a while the pushback mechanic got so easy that the enemy never attacks. And VO is actricious; funnily enough the german version is even worse - they talk only on the GC cutscenes, and the voice of Justin is breaking, as the voice actor is deep in puberty.
The soundtrack is really good on the orchestral parts - especially impressive considering the games with a bigger budget (Zelda and Final Fantasy for example) still only had MIDI-esque music 5 years later.

That said, I couldn't get into Grandia II at all. Better maps, better skill system, but I didn't enjoy anything else. I just got the PC version from a flea market tho, I'll give it another try.Worked with DKC3.

Also: The worst outcry ever. Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

KageMaru

I own the game but only played a bit of the beginning. Enjoyed what I played and loved Grandia 2, so I can't wait until I find the time to play it all the way through.

geardo

It's hard to hear the lukewarm reaction from the OP because I loved this game back in the nineties. Not every game ages well though I guess. I wonder what BOF3 would feel like nowadays, lol.

Top Bottom