• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Grandia (PSX)

It's hard to hear the lukewarm reaction from the OP because I loved this game back in the nineties. Not every game ages well though I guess. I wonder what BOF3 would feel like nowadays, lol.

I loved BOF3 back in the day as well. It's...kinda hard to go back to it now. Some parts, especially the childhood section, tend to drag on way too long. I still love the game, though.

Aeana

Are you sure on that? I recall the Playstation wasn't actually able to do any 2d graphics. It has no 2d graphics processor and what it's doing is using a flat 3d polygon or some such trickery to appear 2d. The shadowing is more of a 3d effect rather than a true 2d effect.

I remember the Dual analog support though. It kind of helped when just wandering around in the outside looking to level up. That Playstation Dpad was murder on thumbs.

Yes, the game has shadows on the sprites. I am not aware of the implementation details, but the result is clear.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of PSX and Saturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL6Z9xvt7h0#t=1m08s

As you can see, the PSX sprites have actual shadows and the Saturn ones have circle shadows.

Yes, the game has shadows on the sprites. I am not aware of the implementation details, but the result is clear.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of PSX and Saturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL6Z9xvt7h0#t=1m08s

As you can see, the PSX sprites have actual shadows and the Saturn ones have circle shadows.

Yeah I see it. But I think that might be a creative difference. Some of the shadowing looks a bit weird on the playstation for buildings like it's not properly doing it? I don't know, maybe I'm not looking for the right thing. It's a better effect on the Playstation with actual characters, but the circle shadows can possibly be a throwback to sprite based shadowing since it's actual sprites on the saturn while the playstation is using flat shaded polygons to render it's faux sprites so they can't do that since it overlaps on the transparancy?

Linkura

Damn, those PSX sprites are impressive when you see them side by side. Never really noticed it before. Thanks for posting.

I replayed this about 6 month ago. I still find the battle system enjoyable, though I had muted the sound and watched streams while grinding (I love puff puff really, but its just too much). Also, I never completed Feena final move last time (you know which one), and still didnt complete it again this time. I rather dodge 200 bolt of ligthing than getting that move (hyperbole tho). VO is still horrid as ever and I love it. Such nostalgic VO.

I loved BOF3 back in the day as well. It's...kinda hard to go back to it now. Some parts, especially the childhood section, tend to drag on way too long. I still love the game, though.

BOF3 is on my list of nostalgic to be replay. I replayed BOF4 right before starting my replay of Grandia. I remember ages ago managing fairy world is fun, but thats not the case on this play through. I have to motivate myself to finish the game and boy I am happy its finished. I did manage to defeat the powerful King Tomb enemy though which I couldn't in my first play through but other than that I won't be replaying this game anymore it seems.

Linkura

It's hard to hear the lukewarm reaction from the OP because I loved this game back in the nineties. Not every game ages well though I guess. I wonder what BOF3 would feel like nowadays, lol.

I dunno man, this definitely aged better than 2 for me. I preferred 2 when it came out, now 1 is far and away my favorite. Haven't replayed 2 in a while, but I replay 1 every couple of years.

maxcriden

It has one of the best menu driven combat systems. It's a time based system where you can interrupt and push back enemy attacks. Penny Arcade 3 and Child of Light ripped it off wholesale.

Kind of turn-based, I guess. There is a single turn gauge, where all of the characters and enemies have icons that go through three phases, essentially wait, command, and action. how fast they move comparatively depends on the character's speed stats. You can also knock back enemies or be knocked back by attacks. There is a good deal of micro-strategy involved with who attacks which enemy or which parts of enemies in a certain order.

If it's anything like Grandia 2, which it seems to be alongside the rest of the series, it just so happens to be the best JRPG battle system that never caught on for god knows why. A perfect mix of turn based choices with action.

Sounds lovely. Thanks to all three of you for the info. Is it at all like the Mario RPG games? It sounds a bit like it.

Indelible

I love this game so much, best JPRG battle system, great characters and a engrossing story. I would put it slightly above Grandia 2 but it is very close.

Aeana

Sounds lovely. Thanks to all three of you for the info. Is it at all like the Mario RPG games? It sounds a bit like it.

Nope, not at all. The Mario RPGs are turn-based games. Grandia is explicitly time-based. Time factors in heavily, moreso than other systems like ATB.

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrK1MZoVVGg

4Ud6pDh.jpg

At the bottom of the screen, you can see the IP (initiative point) gauge. It's split into two sections: wait and act. Between wait and act is the "com" line which is where the menu pops up and you select an action. When the portrait reaches the very end, they perform their action. The speed at which characters and enemies move through the act section varies based on ability and stats, and whether your attack connects in time depends on your distance from the enemy (so yes, position matters as well, not only for this but also for area of effect abilities). While a character is 'charging' their attack like this, they are vulnerable to being countered, which simply knocks back their charge slightly, or canceled. If you counter, you do more damage and move the enemy's action bar backward on the gauge a bit. If you cancel, then their entire attack is canceled and they're moved all the way to the left of the bar and have to start over. In order to cancel, you need to use your 'critical' attack which has a longer wind-up than the default 'combo,' or a skill which has a cancel modifier on it.

There's a bit more to it but that's the basic idea.

Grandia 2 is my favorite in the series, but I liked the weapon skill mechanics of the original way more than the character customization options in the rest of the series.

Nope, not at all. The Mario RPGs are turn-based games. Grandia is explicitly time-based. Time factors in heavily, moreso than other systems like ATB.

I always think of Grandia's battle system as Lunar's, except with Final Fantasy's ATB. But that combination has major ramifications, because motion is a function of time.

Quonny

Why has no series copied the battle system? It's like the perfect balance between traditional turn based and action, with strategy elements. It's brilliant.

Tigerfog

Grandia 1, to this day, is still the game with the strongest sense of adventure and discovery, IMO.
The characters might be a bit predictable sometimes, but I always thought they were very charming and their development, pretty in-depth and deep, because of all the situations they are being put in (especially Sue IMO).

Grandia 1, to this day, is still the game with the strongest sense of adventure and discovery, IMO.
The characters might be a bit predictable sometimes, but I always thought they were very charming and their development, pretty in-depth and deep, because of all the situations they are being put in (especially Sue IMO).

Completely agree.

The moment you get to the wall and start climbing is pure sense of discovery magic too.
Loved this game.

As much as I enjoyed the combat system, the adventure plot and the way the world is revealed to both Justin and the player were my biggest takeaways. People often use this game as a way to describe what makes Trails in the Sky such a good game, and I definitely got those vibes when I played Grandia. The party frequently responds to the random npc chatter which helps to build their characters up even more, and the dialogue frequently changes with story beats.

Not to mention it had one of the most emotional scenes I've seen in a game of that era with
Sue's departure from the team.
It really managed to capture a lot of the mixed up emotions that this sort of scenario can bring in a person and it still makes me cry when I see it.

"I guess... you see right through me, Feena. But... but... I didn't wanna... be... crying the last time you saw my face... I didn't wanna!"

"Well? I want you to remember me as I am now. Ok? Both of you?"

kromeo

It has one of the best menu driven combat systems. It's a time based system where you can interrupt and push back enemy attacks. Penny Arcade 3 and Child of Light ripped it off wholesale.

The Atelier Iris games used it as well, they just were'n't as good

oni-link

I played this for the first time last year and loved it

It has an amazing sense of adventure and one of the best turn based combat systems ever

Mzo

Doesn't this game randomly lock up on a PS2? I couldn't get past even early areas without it freezing on battles. Had to play it on PS.

I have a launch day slim model PS2, not sure if different models make a difference.

bionic77

An amazing game and best Grandia. That sense of adventure.
Granted I have not played the game in like 20 years but I have to agree with you. The sense of adventure, especially in the first half of the game, was so good. The only game that came close to that for me was Skies of Arcadia.

I felt the game dragged a little at the end but overall I loved it.

Locuza

I believe 10 years already have passed since I played the game as a little kid.
I really loved it back then, a great battle system, let's say "cute" characters and an enjoyable narrative through the world.
It was a very solid game without major flaws as far as nostalgia tells me.

Because of this game I played Grandia 2 which was only available in english where I as non english speaker couldn't read and understand it very well but I just wanted to experience the next part of the franchise.
I also enjoyed Grandia 2 a lot but the battle system and mechanics were worse in my opinion and I wasn't so much attached to the characters like I was in Grandia 1.

I have never played Grandia 3 since there wasn't a release in europe anymore.

There was "recently" a Grandia 2 relaunch on steam with a new port, I hope till this day that Grandia 1 will follow.

The PSX version has sprite shadows also which looks nice. Plus full dual analog support.

It also has much better looking spells, which suffer on the Saturn due to there being no transparencies in the game. I own the Saturn version and I think it gives it a certain charm, but the degree to which the Saturn version is in any way "superior" seems to be heavily exaggerated.

It's definitely one of my favorite games for the Saturn. It's incredibly charming.

Tizoc

There is an Undub of Grandia 1 actually, but can't remember where I read about it since I saw it long time ago.

Ganondorfo

I miss this kind of adventure jrpgs, I know there are other adventure rpgs, but Grandia 1 really nailed the part of the word Adventure, kinda like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Goonies did for movies.

Is it me or the more generations we go with videogames, the more rare these kind of jrpgs get like this one or Suikoden series. Maybe its because the publishers dont want to make another game, because they think it will probably sell badly. I do understand that, because games like that are always loved on internet, but never get the sales they deserve.

I miss this kind of adventure jrpgs, I know there are other adventure rpgs, but Grandia 1 really nailed the part of the word Adventure, kinda like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Goonies did for movies.

Is it me or the more generations we go with videogames, the more rare these kind of jrpgs get like this one or Suikoden series. Maybe its because the publishers dont want to make another game, because they think it will probably sell badly. I do understand that, because games like that are always loved on internet, but never get the sales they deserve.

I fully agree with you. I think this kind of game came out at the right time, where game making was no where near as expensive as it is now, and companies could afford to experiment. Nowadays, if you are not a major franchise, selling hundreds of thousands of copies, no one wants to take a chance on experimenting, which is a crying shame...

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Doesn't this game randomly lock up on a PS2? I couldn't get past even early areas without it freezing on battles. Had to play it on PS.

I have a launch day slim model PS2, not sure if different models make a difference.

Wow, yeah. I had this problem. Froze up a couple dozen times on me and I was always playing with the anxiety it would happen before I could save, thus was saving like crazy. The whole time I thought it was my PS2, which has been problematic before o_O

Zweisy1

It's in my top 3 favourite JRPGs on the original Playstation along with Dragon Quest VII and Valkyrie Profile.

Very very few games has such amount of charm and feeling of adventure, the battle system and the OST were first class as well. I can see why some people might find the cast annoying especially with the english voice acting but personally I found Justin a lot more likeable than the likes of Cloud or Squall..

The second Grandia is excellent as well if a little short and easy.. Grandia Xtreme and 3 brought some good improvements to the battle system but they both lacked that certain something that mady me enjoy the first 2 so much.

Still.. there's a very few JRPG announcements that would make me as excited as a new Grandia game. Come on GameArts.. you know you want to.

Top Bottom