• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Growlanser IV aka Angels Are Huge Assholes: The Game

DAerX9tXcAIlj53.jpg:large

Much to my own shame, the Growlanser series is one that I've always meant to get around to, but never did for whatever reason. I just kind of ignored the series on the PS2, and when the PSP remake of Growlanser IV came out in Japan, I grabbed a digital copy of it and then promptly forgot about it for like five years.

With everybody playing Fire Emblem Echoes, I got the itch for a classic JRPG, and remembered that I owned Growlanser IV.

Some seven hours later and here I am, making a LTTP thread on GAF about my experiences. There'll be spoilers up to meeting Frayne for the first time since that's where I just stopped moments before opening this window up.

Boy, did I not know what I was in for with this game.

Within the first three hours,
pretty much the entire cast of named and voiced characters gets annihilated by asshole angels in progressively more dickish ways. I assumed Regina would be the heroine of the game, but nope. She gets an arm through her chest. Her dad? Similar treatment. And then they both get their bodies blown up.

And poor poor Remus, you adorable child that I must protect forever and ever.

It's just nonstop suffering for you.
Seriously. In the opening hours, his dad gets killed, his surrogate dad and sister both get killed. His new surrogate mother gets killed. His friend Pamela gets murdered.
It's been a while since I've seen such an unfortunate character in such a short period of time.

So yeah, angels are huge dicks in this game. I guess I figured the story would be a bit more light fantasy fluff and less KILL EVERYONE, but I'm super down with that and admittedly enjoying the story and characters a lot. It feels like a light 80s fantasy anime in the best way.

I'm also enjoying the gameplay, too. For whatever reason, I always assumed Growlanser was a more traditional SRPG, but instead there are towns, fields, dungeons, etc. The combat absolutely has SRPG elements, but I'd say it actually reminds me most of Trails in the Sky/Kiseki. The whole gem and ring system seems versatile, but I'm still early and there's a lot I don't quite understand yet. I've gotten a handful of gameovers so far (mostly from NPCs dying), but the challenge has been just right up till now. I don't know what the original PS2 version of the game was like, but this version has really strong production values and a surprising amount of anime cutscenes. Lots of voice work, too.

I dunno, there's just something really refreshing about the gameplay and story here. I might have to go and grab the Growlanser remake after I finish this, provided it doesn't implode on itself.

Aeana

I'm so glad you're finally playing this! As I told you earlier, it's one of my favorites.

Absolutely do do do do play Growlanser 1. It is so incredible. An actual PSX classic. On a whole other level compared to the other games in the series (in my opinion, anyway). Plus, it has Iwadare music.

The Beginning

As for this:

For whatever reason, I always assumed Growlanser was a more traditional SRPG, but instead there are towns, fields, dungeons, etc.

This is only strictly true for Growlanser 1 and 4. And that's why I love them so much. 2 is a much more traditional SRPG kind of game, 3 is garbage, and

Vamphuntr

The gameplay is really good in this one. Lots of varied missions and some are really challenging and will force you to use every skills and gems at your disposal to win. Some later missions will require everyone escaping or winning in a set number of turns can be really challenging. Be sure to talk to everyone between each battles to not miss anything related to the extra characters added to the PSP version.

I is pretty great too albeit a bit easy if you get the magic oriented MC.

I'm so glad you're finally playing this! As I told you earlier, it's one of my favorites.

Absolutely do do do do play Growlanser 1. It is so incredible. An actual PSX classic. On a whole other level compared to the other games in the series (in my opinion, anyway). Plus, it has Iwadare music.

The Beginning

As for this:

This is only strictly true for Growlanser 1 and 4. And that's why I love them so much. 2 is a much more traditional SRPG kind of game, 3 is garbage, and

Huh. Of this I was not aware. That explains why I've always had this image of the whole series being SRPGs.

Hyping up the first game like that is an easy way to get me super excited. There are few things I enjoy more than discovering older series that are awesome.

Oh, and one other thing I'm really digging about Growlanser so far is the abundance of seemingly optional events with characters. It makes running around and talking to people worth it, esp when your party actually has stuff to say in the conversation.

It's a very very comfy game.

Shouta

Angels are indeed assholes.

Growlanser I and IV are the best games in the series. It's criminal that they aren't more well known.

So what's the deal with 2 shifting genres? And why is 3 garbage?

There's surprisingly few sources for this series. That said, I didn't do a JP search.

MrDoctor

Oh, and one other thing I'm really digging about Growlanser so far is the abundance of seemingly optional events with characters. It makes running around and talking to people worth it, esp when your party actually has stuff to say in the conversation.

It's a very very comfy game.
growlanser is the only japanese rpg i can think of to implement Choice and Consequence in any meaningful way. it's highly unfortunate that the bigs devs over there see chasing skyrim as the path to moving the genre forward when i feel the aforementioned would be more welcome.

Growlanser I and IV are the best games in the series. It's criminal that they aren't more well known.
indeed, i adore these games -- from the battle system to urushihara's art. one day, one day this series will rise again when atlus remembers they have ips other than smtpersona. then it will finally shine in the west.

Aeana

There's surprisingly few sources for this series. That said, I didn't do a JP search.

Some people might disagree with me, but 3 majorly disappointed me. It changes the dungeons to be randomly generated, which I think hit me the hardest. It's just a massive, massive drag throughout the entire game.

2 is actually decent, it's just not what I love about the series, which is the gameplay style that 1 and 4 have.

Vamphuntr

II still use the same battle system but you lose the free roaming aspect and instead have a point and click world map. Battles are just areas on the map and towns are a bunch of menus. No dungeon explorations either. It's only battles. It's very short too. Some of the bonus characters are acquired in a weird manner. Depending if you choose to go left or right on the map at some point you either get the bad ass exiled swordsman or some guy that digs holes (no joke). There's like a bonus evil route that is pretty dumb overall.

III has pretty awful dungeons and mediocre balance. Plot isn't very good either. Only good things is you can import all of your GL2 characters if you got their endings.

One of my favorite games ever. It's too bad it didn't get more exposure.

Regarding the SRPG thing. The developer, Career Soft, had previously done the Langrisser series (they have nothing to do with that new one that's supposed to be awful), which is more purely SRPG. After they finished with Langrisser they decided they wanted to make an RPG, which became Growlanser, and still has a lot of SRPG influences. It's one thing I love about the series, as it tends to combine the things I love about RPGs and SRPGs. As mentioned, Growlanser II leans a bit more to the SRPG side than the others, but typically the games fall more in that hybrid area.

Angels are indeed assholes.

It's a tragedy that Growlanser I never got localized. The PSP remake had given me some hope but it was not to be.

As it is there is a script translation online (I helped edit the first half or so before I got too busy) for anyone who wants to play the game but doesn't know Japanese but it's obviously not the ideal way to experience the game.

Aeana

So I don't see anybody mentioning Growlanser V or VI here. Not so hot?

I can't speak for them, honestly. I played Atlus USA's release of Growlanser 5 which is a weird mishmash of Growlanser 5 and 6's systems, and I didn't like it at all. Someday, I'll get around to trying the original Japanese versions of both.

Growlanser V is the worst game in the series and Growlanser VI is a direct sequel that uses pretty much the same engine.

IMO, they messed up the battle system for V. The way I like to put it is that you can either play it like a mediocre rip-off of Final Fantasy XII or a mediocre rip-off of Baldur's Gate. The story has a lot of potential but the execution is botched. The graphics look awful (sprites replaced with really ugly, low-poly models), controls are unresponsive, menus are ugly and unintuitive, etc.

It's not quite as bad as people tend to make it out to be (I've seen it called the worst RPG on PS2 and it's nowhere near that bad) but it was still a massive disappointment for me.

In short: I & IV are absolutely fantastic. II & III are flawed but still very good. V is mediocre and I never bothered with VI.

Zephyx

I think I only played Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time on PSP when it got localized. Is this the same game? I don't remember much so I'll have to buy it when it goes on sale again.

Okay, so. Early IV spoilers and a question.

I'd been talking to Tricia every chance I got, and we eventually came up with a secret code that we use to talk to each other. This felt like an optional thing I'd just stumbled into, which is neat. But then when I went to sleep one night, I got a vision of her being attacked by those weird monsters. I ended up going to save her, and we found her because of the secret code we made up. Is this all completely optional? If I didn't talk to her and do those events, would she have died/been injured or something?

The game gives you so many dialogue options and at first I figured they were just window dressing for some slight dialogue variations, but now I'm wondering if there are much more complicated systems at work here.

Steel

Banned
Dialogue options in this are definitely not window dressing. Even the ones that seem pointless shift the MC's personality.

I always got the impression Career Soft was doing some experimenting with II & III. II kinda feels like they were trying out what would happen if they made it a little more like Langrisser. II & III also have a bit of a rushed feeling to them. I like them both, but they also could have benefitted from a bit more polish. I believe some of the decisions (like random dungeons in III) were based on time constraints/limited resources.

I think I only played Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time on PSP when it got localized. Is this the same game? I don't remember much so I'll have to buy it when it goes on sale again.

Yes, they're the same. Technically IV was first released on PS2 and then remade for PSP. Atlus dropped the number when they localized it.

Aeana

Okay, so. Early IV spoilers and a question.

I'd been talking to Tricia every chance I got, and we eventually came up with a secret code that we use to talk to each other. This felt like an optional thing I'd just stumbled into, which is neat. But then when I went to sleep one night, I got a vision of her being attacked by those weird monsters. I ended up going to save her, and we found her because of the secret code we made up. Is this all completely optional? If I didn't talk to her and do those events, would she have died/been injured or something?

The game gives you so many dialogue options and at first I figured they were just window dressing for some slight dialogue variations, but now I'm wondering if there are much more complicated systems at work here.

IIRC, that's all part of her sidequest. If you didn't do the first part then you simply wouldn't have seen the later event/battle either.

IIRC, that's all part of her sidequest. If you didn't do the first part then you simply wouldn't have seen the later event/battle either.

That's actually really cool, because the whole thing felt really organic to me. The side stuff seems to blend in with the main story stuff in a really smooth way.

Vamphuntr

If you want to get all the playable characters you will need to use a guide because some have missable events during free days.

MrDoctor

like i posted above, your decisions aren't made without consequence in this game. at some point you'll regret how you responded to someone

Zephyx

Yes, they're the same. Technically IV was first released on PS2 and then remade for PSP. Atlus dropped the number when they localized it.

Thanks. I remember playing the game but I'm not really sure what's bad about it. I'm not also sure if I finished it though as there are multiple endings. I do remember the battles having a strategic aspect presented in top down angle (like Chrono Trigger).

redcrayon

Played this through on the Vita a couple of years ago, was totally blown away by it. Amazing RPG, the tactical battles are great too. Reminds me of various pause-and-issue-commands wrpgs, in that you choose a target or magic and each unit either moves towards it, continues attacking it or charges a spell. Watching the units close on each other, you start to see the flaws in your plan and adjust accordingly, good stuff.

Plenty of options too- I completely ignored the generic magical blue-haired girl (Frayne?) in favour of the noble in the yellow dress, (can't remember her name now...) and it was great to see later scenes reflect that.

CO_Andy

No, it's garbage in the way that Growlanser 3 is. No need to bring other games into it.
It has a very entertaining story, but i know you don't value that part of RPGs as much as others.

My biggest gripe with 3 is that the game becomes a cakewalk by mid point.

Shouta

There's not much in terms of info on the games themselves aside from a few interviews here and there. As far as I know though, there was overlap in the development of GL2 and GL3 where both were being created at the same time. They were trying to get something out to capitalize on how popular GL1 was and that's probably a reason why both games are slightly different and undercooked as a result. GL4 is where they got more time to work on it and it really shows.

GLV and GLVI are not good but not that bad either. They're probably the worst in the series but I put them on the same level as GL2 and GL3 personall They're pretty undercooked just like GL2 and GL3 but you can feel it even more because at least the scope of 2/3 were fairly limited. 5/6 have this big story that connects them and it kind of starts being interesting but in the end is really underdeveloped.

They shifted to 3D with those games too and tackling that probably took away from polishing the game and story.

Strings

Is 2 worth tracking down? I'm ~5ish hours into 4 too and honestly kinda hating the gameplay :/

killatopak

Gold Member

The Beginning

As for this:

Did Growlanser 1 get released in english and is it available on PSN?

Is 2 worth tracking down? I'm ~5ish hours into 4 too and honestly kinda hating the gameplay :/

The battle system is basically the same for II and IV. The major differences are that II is more of an SRPG. You have eight characters in battle and an SRPG-style point-to-point world map. Long story short, if you don't like the gameplay in IV you probably won't like II either.

If you nonetheless are interested in II and/or II, youI should note that they were packaged together for their North American release under the title "Growlanser Generations."

No, it's been fantranslated, though. I'd imagine JP PSN may have it.

Just a quick note that, as far as I know, the fan translation only exists in script form and not as a patch. It also only covers the PSX version and not the PSP version (which added new characters and a new story branch).

I'm kinda shocked how deeply in love with this game I'm becoming. I've been editing a project with a really really close deadline (yay localization), but I can't stop thinking about playing more Growlanser IV.

I didn't expect this.

I'm kinda shocked how deeply in love with this game I'm becoming. I've been editing a project with a really really close deadline (yay localization), but I can't stop thinking about playing more Growlanser IV.

I didn't expect this.

It's secretly one of Atlus' best games. Game surprised me a lot as well, was my entry into the series on PSP, went back to 2 and loved that as well. Still need to play 3, didn't like 5 at all unfortunately although I am willing to give it another go one day.

The thing with Growlanser IV is it gets better and better and the mission variety stays great throughout. It's the best classic JRPG meets SRPG hybrid genre game around, I think. I do hope that Atlus return to the IP one day. Shame we didn't get more Growlanser ports on Vita (like 1 and get it in English).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I adored the premise in this game but got lost in some underground labyrinth where you had to fall down in exactly the right places or something. It's outside of a snowy town. I still want to go back and see the rest of the story someday.

Osukaa

I feel in love with this game and am very fond of it. The battle system and magic system was just perfect for me. Glad your enjoying it OP. Remus is awesome btw he was my favorite character in the game and he was a complete badass by the end of the game statwise.

I wish we had more games like this.

Played it and loved it. I need more growlanser in my life. Would love a PS4 game.

Edit: after reading the op I've seemed to forget damn near everything in the game. I don't remember people dying left and right like that.

Major Spoiler, don't look unless you've beaten the game.
wasnt the player character an angel or something as well?

Voliko

Criminally underappreciated. One of the best JRPGs ever along with 1.

I especially love the signature massive amount of dialogue choices that were more than just good/neutral/bad

It's secretly one of Atlus' best games. Game surprised me a lot as well, was my entry into the series on PSP, went back to 2 and loved that as well. Still need to play 3, didn't like 5 at all unfortunately although I am willing to give it another go one day.

The thing with Growlanser IV is it gets better and better and the mission variety stays great throughout. It's the best classic JRPG meets SRPG hybrid genre game around, I think. I do hope that Atlus return to the IP one day. Shame we didn't get more Growlanser ports on Vita (like 1 and get it in English).

It's funny because I was definitely liking it a couple hours in, but the more I play it, the more it's pulling me in. It really has just been getting better and better.

One thing about the dialogue choices is that I really love how you're almost always given the option of staying quiet. I've already come across a bunch of instances where it felt like the right move was to just be quiet and not let that be a confirmation of one thing or another.

Shouta

I'd definitely recommend going back and playing Growlanser I after IV. It's easily one of the best RPGs from that generation, if not the best, and it does a few things that you don't see in games often or that became more standard in the genre.

I mean, it's one of the few games where what happens during story battles actually has an effect on the setting and story a little bit. There are a couple of places where have to protect NPCs and if you let one of them die, they stay dead and the NPC dialogue changes as a result.

It's still a damn tragedy that Growlanser 1 was never localized. Atlus, Gaijinworks...I just wanted the damn game in English.

Top Bottom