• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: Half-Life 2

I had to put it down during the hovercraft part. That section is waaaayyy too long. Other than that, I enjoyed it. I still think it's a somewhat overrated and I HATE silent protagonists in games like this but it did bring a lot of new things to the table and it should be given props for the influence it has had on gaming.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The one thing I just can't forgive Ep 2 on is the 10 minute antlion arena. It's soooo bad. They take the dumbest most paper-thin enemy in the game and lock you into fighting them for 10 minutes. They don't even mix it up with the acid lions introduced in that very episode, just regular antlions.

IMO, the buildup during that scene was masterful, with the colored lights representing how many enemies would come from each tunnel. First the game throws one tunnel at you with very few enemies. Then multiple tunnels with few enemies. Then multiple tunnels with a moderate amount of enemies. And then for the finale all the lights start flashing red signifying that a ton of enemies are about to come at you from every single entrance, music starts playing, some Vorts drop in to help, and you know shit is about to go down.

The worst level in HL2 would have to be Entanglement. Setting up sentries for the Combine wasn't difficult or tedious, but it just wasn't particularly exciting either. Just a boring level altogether, and it had a bunch of "cutscenes" too.

Also, gonna requote this for the new page

MUST PLAY MODS

- Research and Development (puzzle)
- MINERVA: Metastasis
- Precursor
- Mistake of Pythagoras (weird)
- Mission Improbable Trilogy

You guys have to play these (although not everyone will enjoy MoP). In many ways these games do things better than Half-Life 2 itself, from gunplay to atmosphere to puzzles that go beyond rudimentary physics gimmicks. And Black Mesa Source goes without saying....

Ice 9

Banned
I had to put it down during the hovercraft part. That section is waaaayyy too long. Other than that, I enjoyed it. I still think it's a somewhat overrated and I HATE silent protagonists in games like this but it did bring a lot of new things to the table and it should be given props for the influence it has had on gaming.

HL2 itself is overrated imo, but the what HL2 spawned with the source engine is awesome.

Garry's Mod for life.

MUST PLAY MODS
- Mistake of Pythagoras (weird)

I must replay this, great mod.

Andrew.

Banned
I know I'm one of the very few on this forum that enjoyed both the airboat AND the kart sequences.

I thought they were fun as hell and still are. The airboat scene alone boasts some of the best music out of the the entire experience in my opinion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given the way he liked playing around with his fanbase he was also involved with Valve's ARGs since then.

Yeah, he and Jeep were the main brains behind the Portal 2 ARGs. It must have been surreal to go from creating Half-Life 2 mods to working on the game's successor.

what mod was these really episodic vignettes, like one was about a relationship and star gazing. While another was this room with tv screens of your life and you can enter these screens to relive these moments.

Also i hated the weapons in halflife, they were almost all meaningless after you get the gravity gun. They sorta fixed it in the episodes but the gun play weren't the greatest.

JaseC

what mod was these really episodic vignettes, like one was about a relationship and star gazing. While another was this room with tv screens of your life and you can enter these screens to relive these moments.

The Stanley Parable? /stabinthedark

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know I'm one of the very few on this forum that enjoyed both the airboat AND the kart sequences.

I thought they were fun as hell and still are. The airboat scene alone boasts some of the best music out of the the entire experience in my opinion.

I love them. The canals and Highway 17 offer more insight into Half-Life's world than any piece of dialogue ever could. Didn't have any problems with the length or pacing either.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Running through Nova Prospekt with a pack of Antlions while fighting Combine forces who are being audibly chastised by Breen for their failure to kill you is one of the best experiences I've ever had in a video game. The mixture of gameplay and story is sublime.

Radiator.

Scoresby

Neo Member
Something in this game reminds me of RE4 (and vice versa). It seems like you are getting on a roller coaster every time you play it. Such a joy, such a ride.

tipoo

Banned
The gunplay is mediocre, the forced cutscene story breaks were lame, and Alyx was terrible. TERRIBLE. She might have been okay but all she did in these games was try to give the player a boner. Lame.

Funny because I thought she was one of the few non-oversexualized main females in games. How were they trying to give you a boner?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Funny because I thought she was one of the few non-oversexualized main females in games.

Agreed. Her character growth in the episodes is especially well-done.

Hylian7

I had no idea there were so many people that didn't care for HL2.

There game basically provided the right balance of twitch shooting from older FPSs, great storyline (without being overbearing), puzzle solving, and a really cool environment. What glued all of this together? The pacing. Just when the player is about to say "Getting real tired of these zombies, suddenly now you're alongside a priest with a shotgun helping him hold them off while he helps you escape. Driving an airboat avoiding barnacle tongues is old hat now? Then how about a helicopter dropping bombs into the river while you have to keep going full speed ahead!

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the silent protag either. I do wish that NPCs can react to my in-game head nods and shakes. Like when I refused to follow the guard down the hallway, I just shook my head haha. But that's something I want to see in all first person games.

Qblivion

The only thing keeping HL2 from being one of my top games evar are those godawful physics puzzles. Same thing prevented me from enjoying Amnesia.

Please developers, stop doing this.

This game blew my mind back on my Sony Vaio in 2004 at low settings.

I've replayed it every 2 years since. So good.

As an aside, I had flashbacks to H:L2 when I was watching "The Road".

I love the gunplay. It just feels RIGHT, the way it feels firing that pistol. I wish there was a melee button/option while holding a pistol.

The loading through specific doorways is kind of jarring but tolerable.

Yeah, same here. Love the feel of the USP. That flat *thwack* sound is awesome.

i played hl2 on a shitty hp desktop with a 9800 pro. game ran like crap (doom 3 ran at 15 fps on that rig and i still beat it)...even with low fps and extreme load timed, i enjoyed evrry minute of it

JaseC

One of my mates got his hands on a 9800 Pro around the time Half-Life 2 released. He played some of the game but eventually grew bored of it, and since he wasn't playing anything else at the time I tried to convince him to temporarily trade cards so I could play it (I still had a GeForce 2 Ti at this juncture), but he wouldn't budge.

I wouldn't have the chance to play Half-Life 2 until two years later.

Wow I didn't know that there are so many people out there who don't like HL2. It's definitely one of the best shooters I ever played. The last one that came pretty close was Crysis in 2007.

I'm wondering which fps games people were playing in 2004 that they thought was better than HL2. Halo games were good, but not anywhere near as good as HL2. Other than that nothing came close to the quality of HL2.

Farcry was pretty, but janky with no memorable encounters or characters and had a nonsense story. Doom 3? Well id isnt exactly known for their story telling. Shadows were great but everything looked plastic, enemy encounters were basically 12+ hours of monster closets, skeletons with rocket launchers stuck to their shoulders, and a dude who somehow turned into a tank.

I love the airboat part. Turning corners in that thing while slamming into Combine soldiers or dodging rockets from APCs was exhilarating, and there were so many hidden little things if you stopped to look.

Andrew.

Banned
I love the airboat part. Turning corners in that thing while slamming into Combine soldiers or dodging rockets from APCs was exhilarating, and there were so many hidden little things if you stopped to look.

Yeah includig a quick glimpse at G-Man staring at you atop some warehouse balcony. He disappears pretty quick though.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont get the love-in with the game, but I do like it quite a bit still. I think what I enjoyed was the atmosphere, the pacing and the storytelling, especially if you include Episodes 1 and 2. Its one of the rare games that kept me interested in the story, and for a shooter, thats quite a feat. I got quite absorbed into the role of Gordon Freeman.

Other than that, I felt like there was a lot of mediocrity. Gravity gun was fun, but the guns in general weren't anything to write about. I'm also increasingly disliking non-ADS shooting in first-person games as it feels dated. Enemy design is ok, again, nothing too special apart from a few notable exceptions.

I'm wondering which fps games people were playing in 2004 that they thought was better than HL2.
I do prefer Halo to Half-Life. Not by much, though.

Also probably liked MOH: Allied Assault better, too. One of my favorite WWII shooters.

Top Bottom