• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Jessica Jones (Netflix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So with Marvel's upcoming Luke Cage series that'll be debuting on Netflix this week, over the last few days I finally got the chance to sit down and watch Jessica Jones for the very first time in anticipation. As a pretty huge Marvel fan who had already watched the first two seasons of Daredevil beforehand, it's something I'd planned on doing for the longest time, only to keep getting distracted. But after starting the first episode a couple of days ago, I basically binge-watched the entire series, having only just finished the season finale yesterday.

In terms of first impressions, I feel there's a lot to like about Jessica Jones, both in regards to the show as a whole and its titular character. Much like with Daredevil, through the television format...the show gets to tell a much more mature and nuanced story in comparison to Marvel's usual, much flashier fare...with the story mostly revolving around Jessica trying to make a living as a private detective in the much grimier districts of Hell's Kitchen, whilst at the same time trying to come to terms with the traumas of her past, most of which revolves around the show's primary antagonist, the ever elusive Kilgrave, a super-powered being with the ability to control the minds of everyone around him in the most unsettling of ways.

jessica-jones-banner1.jpg

Focusing first on the positives....I felt Krysten Ritter was fantastic in the role of Jessica and proved to be a great bit of casting, bringing the right kind of sardonic, low-key to the character, investing her with just the right balance of strength and underlying vulnerability. Additionally, I felt that David Tennant did a decent job as the series primary antagonist, with Kilgrave in my opinion easily being the most creepiest and generally most well-rounded villain to grace the Marvel Universe to date. There's so much in regards to what Kilgrave can do with his powers that makes him so unnerving and terrifying, with the character such a unique challenge in a superhero world, and for the most part, I felt he proved to be a fascinating villain, even if at points I felt like the show could have utilized his powers a little more creatively outside of
Kilgrave constantly asking people to kill themselves to distract Jessica whenever the going got tough so he could make his escape.

Although I enjoyed the first few episodes of the show however, I couldn't help but feel that the show really lost its focus at around the mid-point of the season, suffering from some really lethargic pacing and muddled plotting. Perhaps in an effort to stretch out it's 13 episode run, the main plot seemed to come to a lot of abrupt starts and stops, whilst juggling a wide variety of different subplots, some of which didn't really work for me and some of which just seemed to get abruptly dropped and quickly ignored. (SPOILERS)
What happened to Jessica vowing to find dirt on Hogarth's ex for her upcoming divorce settlement? What happened to Simpson and his pill-popping conspiracy group? What happened to slowly building a legal case against the Purple Man (ie. the main plotline of the season?
A lot of the time, the show reminded me of a group of theatre actors having to quickly improvise dialogue to keep their audience entertained whilst the set is getting quietly re-arranged in the background just behind them. Indeed, sometimes the show felt like it was almost stalling, which became a little frustrating to me as a viewer and was the point where I found myself losing a bit of my interest in the overall story.

AKA-Jessica-Jones-supporting-cast.jpg

Additionally, for me as a viewer, I felt one of the main failings of the show was in the weakness of its supporting cast, because although I cared about Jessica, I didn't really find myself caring about the people who happened to surround her. Take for example Hogarth, who's character basically consists of Carrie-Anne Moss seeming to stand around boardroom-like settings and reciting her lines in as monotone a fashion as humanely possible. Why are we spending so much time following this character and her upcoming divorce? Why should I care? To a lesser extent, I felt the same way about Trish and Malcom, never finding myself particularly invested in their individual stories. Even Luke Cage, who appears here for the first time as a means of setting up his own show, didn't really seem to get used in the story in a particularly compelling fashion. All in all, I felt the other characters and their individual subplots left a lot to be desired.

Still, I enjoyed my time with Jessica Jones....certainly more than I hoped, given some of the negative impressions I'd been reading for the show online. With certain characters out of the way by the time of its final episode, I wonder how the show will continue forward for Season 2, but with any luck the show will only manage to improve over time. If you haven't watched the show yet, as a first time watcher, I would certainly recommend checking it out, if at least for the first few episodes before things seem to dip a little downhill.

I'm really interested in what other people thought of the show, now that it's been almost a year since its debut. How did you guys find it? Feel free to share your thoughts!

Also getting reeeeeeal sick of never seeing Avengers tower in the New York City skyline in these Netflix shows, Marvel.

liquidtmd

Banned
Enjoyed it a lot. Thought it was slick and fairly engaging, the mood of the show was first rate and the multiple themes Kilgrave brought into the mix was well done. It was stretched two or three episodes beyond what was there with
Kilgrave flat out disappearing for two episodes around episode 10 if I recall and not great upstairs neighbour melodrama subplot overstaying its welcome
but I liked it a fair bit.

Would certainly be in for season 2 but apprehensive they can solve the Kilgrave problem - can they create a villain as engaging as Tenant and kinda unexplored nature of his powers which made the show effective and standout within the crowded superhero genre.

Am hyped as hell for Luke Cage.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The biggest problem is that it's like a 6 episode story stretched out far too long, which leads to that terrible back end of the series that no one likes.

That said, I still think it's biggest strength is that it is basically a story about surviving sexual assault couched in a way to appeal to an audience that doesn't really think about these types of issues. The fact that Jones is basically the only female superhero with a property to her name (at least until the Wonder Woman movie comes out) is a plus too.

El Topo

Great show, even if it has some issues, such as pacing. I think I enjoyed S1 of Daredevil a bit more, but it's great nonetheless and thankfully not nearly as dreadful as S2 of Daredevil.
Should probably give the show a rewatch some day.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Spoiler:
Oh, and Jessica's plan to get in Super-Max was probably one of the most fucking idiotic and ill-concieved schemes in the history of television. Like seriously, the fuck Jessica?

I am halfway through. I find it...middling. Sometimes its exciting, sometimes it is boring.

I also feel like I miss an episode because one episode
the cop is strangling Trish and next he's giving her oral
, and it's yet to feel like Jess has a big victory. Not that she NEEDS to have one, it's just one step forward, two steps back. I will push through and finish it, then finally catch up on DD S2 before Luke Cage...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I loved it, but I agree it had some pacing issues.

Regarding this "dropped" plot line:

What happened to Simpson and his pill-popping conspiracy group?

I suspect this will be picked up
in a future season of Daredevil

Jessica Jones was actually my first Netflix Marvel series, having gotten a Netflix account around the time it dropped and wanting to experience it while still new. Sort of agree about the plot lines being stretched, but I think I prefer the approach of letting the main plot backburner at points to what Daredevil S2's
jumping from one plotline to another like it couldn't decide what kind of show it wanted to be
. In the end, I really enjoyed it, but I think Daredevil S1 is still my favorite of the three Netflix series so far. I'm looking forward to seeing if Luke Cage changes that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know it's a common complaint, pacing didn't really bother me though, I was always excited to see what happens next at the end of every episode and throughout an episode. The show really handled keeping the tension throughout well through Jessica's personal journey and Killgrave's methodological attempts to get his way.

Exceptionally great show, overall.

My only issue with the show is that they dove into Kilgrave far too quickly. Should have done a couple small cases first and then built it up a little before diving in so hard.

Wouldn't have made the last couple episodes feel so stretched out.

The Hermit

JJ begun really strong and ended terribly weak.

I wanted purple man to be more menacing and more purple.

Aldo, the final confrontation was... eh.

I watched Jessica Jones and know my Pokeymans, but I don't get the joke.
Everytime they'd capture or get near Kilgrave, he'd get away. Largely, that's what Safari Zone is. Walking around throwing Pokeballs until you catch something, which can take forever. Or not forever. Maybe I'm just bad at things.

Matty77

Couldn't finish. The number of times they could have ended Purpleman just to have him escape....yeesh.
Hence the problem behind both the pacing of the show and a lot of the writing in the show, and this is coning from someone who loved it but realizes these issues exsist.

The made a villian that pretty much had only one solution and had to have him at the end so they had to keep contriving ways to not end it leading to the writing and pacing, when it could have ended halfway through because it was always going to have to end like that.

HvySky

Went into this with relatively high expectations, as I'd just finished season 1 of Daredevil and friends had insisted it was better in almost every way. Maybe those expectations are the reason I disliked the show so much, as while the back half of the show is undeniably the worst part, I wasn't big on the front half either. The premiere is solid and sets the stage for what could be an interesting premise, but then almost immediately shits the bed and then fumbles to recover unsuccessfully.

One of my main complaints with the show is just how stupid everyone is. If the threat had been approached with any semblance of logic or intelligence, the show would have been over in a couple of episodes. Having to stretch the show out over 13 episodes meant main characters had to have constant lapses in common sense to allow the main villain to escape in ludicrous ways that had me laughing. It's hard to keep rooting for characters that seem to sabotage their own plans at every possible opportunity for no discernible reason.

I could go on, but I'll spare everyone my bitterness towards this show. Glad you liked it for the most part, OP. Let's hope season 2 is better, if we get one.

Mulgrok

Would have preferred a procedural focusing on her investigations instead of the thinly spread serial format that overstayed its welcome. More PI shenanigans could only be a good thing. Make it Marvel's Rockford Files or something.

Rue

I feel like I have the opposite feelings for JJ and DD than most posters here....

I could barely get through Daredevil S1, I started it when it first came out.. then dropped it around episode 6-7 only to try at least two more times to power through it. It wasn't until I found out Luke Cage was airing soon that I really tried again and finished DD Season 1 start-to-finish. I liked it okay. Kingpin was great, best part of the entire season but.. I don't really like any of the characters and it felt really overlong. It had a lot of episodes where it just meandered and did nothing with no real emotional weight pulling me through it at all later on. The fights were cool, but they seemed to get increasingly more sterile as it went on.

Jessica Jones.. I was hooked from episode 1. I finished it within a few days because I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the series. Jessica's character was 1000x more interesting than anyone aside from Kingpin in DDS1 and Kilgrave really amped the show to amazing levels. It had it's lame/mundane/pointless moments toward the end (a popular opinion for Marvel Netflix shows seems to be that they feel too long) and I think it could have been a solid 8-10 episodes without losing anything. Either way, I really loved it and am eagarly awaiting S2.

Now I'm struggling with Daredevil S2 a lot, I'm only a few episodes in and while I'm really loving Jon Bernthal's performance in it.. I am just not really engaged at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom