• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Journey remastered

I bought the retail, collector's edition Journey on Ps3
& thinking back I don't regret it, I'd say it was worth just for those Journey avatars although to change them I have to go back to the goddamn Ps3 to do it
, but I didn't really mind having to pay $15 to have it again on Ps4. Was it $20 with a price cut? Or was it $15 to begin with?

Anyways, this game is really, really amazing...umm, I haven't played much of those Ico games but I think it should rank there as far as game as art forms go. I suggested to a friend of mine who recently got a Ps4 and played the Ico games on Ps2. I hope he gets it.

It's short, I suppose that's not bad though
in fact it's pretty refreshing to be able to start and finish a game in one damn sitting for once
, but I feel like, once I completed it, I couldn't help but feel like it was missing something...I can't quite tell what that is though.*

I know that this game was done from a 3 game deal with thatgamecompany and Sony, and I know how Sony is with
1st or 2nd party?
exclusives - so they probably own the IP and a sequel wouldn't be multiplat - or won't even happen at all. But then again, most people probably find the game perfect as it is though.

MAYBE it was the ending. It just...ends. Does the journeyer die and go to paradise? Do they enter a new realm? And what was the spark that shoots out of the mountain?

MAYBE...I just wanted to know more about my character, and the lore. It honestly looks to me like a female, or at least dressed like a female. Does she have hands under the cloak? Was the leg thing just the art style but she actually does have feet? Is she a non-human humanoid (the points on the hood makes it look like cat ears)? So she's one of the last remaining survivors of a civilization/city that once existed in this desert and it's been desecrated but, how?

The hieroglyphs were cool but didn't really click with me much, except for that last one that was showing you that you'd have to face a blizzard to get to the mountain. Can she actually speak but the game is intentionally silent/devoid of dialogue? I remember seeing the moon during a night sequence but - is it possible this is a different planet? not the same earth?

Anyways, for all intents and purposes, if anything & everything Journey in the future is playstation exclusive then the journeyer to me is a playstation icon/mascot. To make another point, I think it'd be neat if she'd be included in a psasbr sequel.

The soundtrack is quite beautiful, too. I could rock to the whole thing in my car or something.

Lastly, after this and this video, I feel like not only is there barely a difference I can tell between the two versions, but dare I say...sometimes it looks better on Ps3? Especially the sand? Am I alone on thinking this?

latest

Kama_1082

Banned
I played and finished it in one setting. I'll be honest, I didn't get the "feels" that everyone got from it. It was just eh to me.

antitrop

Does this have a shared trophy list or a new one?
Glad you liked it OP. It is quite good.

New one.

And it's true that not quite all of the graphical effects of the PS3 version made it over to the PS4 port.

Much to our surprise, certain visual effects have been removed or diminished in this new version of Journey, sapping away just a touch of the visual perfection that came to define the original game. Motion blur, which is beautifully utilised on PS3, has been completely eliminated, which has a small impact on the presentation: speeding along the sun-drenched slopes feels a tad less dramatic without this effect in place. It's likely that Trick Pixels felt that at 60fps, motion blur was no longer a necessity. We disagree and feel that even at higher frame-rates, motion blur can add greatly to the presentation.

This extends to lighting and effects as well. Sand simulation is a critical element in the presentation of the game. Created from a juxtaposition consisting of three height-map layers and textures designed to simulate millions of little 'mirrors', the original design successfully forms the illusion of a vast body of reactive sand stretched out before the player. This glittering sand effect is now reduced significantly. In the original version, you'll notice sparkling grains of sand present throughout many scenes, while the effect is often absent on PS4, resulting in a flatter overall presentation. The sand in general appears to lack the coarseness that is so evident on PS3.

There are also subtle differences in lighting - in one scene, the visible clouds on PS3 are completely obscured by light bloom on PS4. In another, the low-hanging sun peeking around a distant structure in the original game becomes less visible in the PS4 port. These are small details to be sure, but quite why there is a difference at all remains a mystery.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-journey-on-ps4-face-off

Lod7

Neo Member
From what I can tell you do die at the end of the game, notice the grave stone at the end of the game and the light slowly fades away as another glyph shoots out of the mountain. The grave stone was also on a part of the mountain where you collapse before being raised for the final sequence of the game.

The ending sequence can be interpretted as your ascension to the after life and reincarnated in the world to be of help to future travelers.

Journey imo is a game that would benefit from future rereleases so that a new generation of players get to experience the discovery of meeting someone new and adventuring along side each other without being guided by more experienced players.

I had the game on the ps3 and then because of cross buy downloaded it again for the ps4 and playing it again made me experience the same feelings and emotions that I felt during the first week of release on the ps3.

It is a magical experience.

I felt the game was fairly complete by the time it ended. I like that, just before the end, you were given a little moment of peace to share with your partner and reminisce about the journey.

HTupolev

Lastly, after this and this video, I feel like not only is there barely a difference I can tell between the two versions, but dare I say...sometimes it looks better on Ps3? Especially the sand? Am I alone on thinking this?
The sand glitter is different between the two versions. PS4's has a modified finer-grained sand, and it results in an overall smoother appearance with seemingly less power and often a skinnier spatial distribution to the noise.

The PS3 also uses a heavy motion blur.

The PS4 version is far more clear, although the PS3 version has a very rich dreamy appearance that I kind of dig. They're both good, although if I had to pick I'd probably side with the PS3.

chaosaeon

Journey wasn't exactly a graphically amazing game (disregarding the artstyle argument). To think the new version is not only comparable to the PS3 version, but in some cases the PS3 version is actually better makes almost no sense to me. A port on much more powerful hardware should be everything the original was and more. I benefited from the cross buy which I greatly appreciate, but the new one should've been noticeably improved over what I already had. Not worth it at all for those with the physical copy on PS3.

The sand glitter is different between the two versions. PS4's has a modified finer-grained sand, and it results in an overall smoother appearance with seemingly less power and often a skinnier spatial distribution to the noise.

The PS3 also uses a heavy motion blur.

The PS4 version is far more clear, although the PS3 version has a very rich dreamy appearance that I kind of dig. They're both good, although if I had to pick I'd probably side with the PS3.
interesting. is it weird to think that the Ps3 version's sand "twinkled" or sparkled a little more?

also, I guess what I should've done was made a a "Journey lore" thread. Should I do that now or just have a mod retitle this thread?

farmerboy

You have many questions OP and I guess that's entirely the point of it.

With no dialogue and and the glyphs spread around the game, so much of it can and will be interpreted differently by everyone. That's it's magic. Limited speechless communication between players furthers the need for interpretation.

I think the game is a mirror, and you will see or feel from it what you need to see or feel from it. Your interpretations of it in a sense are a reflection of you at the time you play it.

I think it's timeless.

KaoteK

For me it was one of the most poignant games I've ever played, despite not getting the "feels" as much as others.

I thought the spiritual side of it was a bit obvious, but then I'm cynical atheist at the best of times.

I'm pretty sure Journey will be somewhere in my GOTY list, it's a beautiful game.

Top Bottom