• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

Hello, GAF. I've just completed this awesome game, after having completed the first game, Hotel Dusk, many years ago. After beating the original, I always told myself that I'd pursue the sequel, but other games and newer systems got in the way. It was only until recently that I've embarked on an adventure to slay my DS backlog.

Anyway, what a worthy successor to Hotel Dusk. Kyle Hyde is the motherfucking man. While I thought the plot was a little convoluted this game, I was nevertheless pleased by the character pieces that made up the story, in particular that motherfuckin Tony Wolf who reminds me so much of a few guys I knew back in college. Every other character fell in place beautifully, except for maybe the Charles Jeunet who didn't have much of a role.

tumblr_m79uenqy661ro65rs.png

Problems

Ok, just because I loved the game, doesn't mean that it didn't come with some flaws. Perhaps the biggest one was the game's uneven difficulty: Either it suffered a lot of hand-holding or from trial-and-error gameplay, specifically some of the puzzles. With the former, it felt like I was less of a detective and more of a tag-along. The game wouldn't allow me to figure certain things out on my own, such as follow-up actions (who to talk to next; where to go next, etc.), it was always Kyle instructing me on my next course of action. As far as the trial-and-error gameplay was concerned, there was one puzzle in the game that was completely bonkers and nearly broke the game for me...
music box
. No way anyone could have figured it out; I had to Gamefaqs it and it pissed me off that I did so.

But I stopped worrying about that, since the game is more about story and characters, not gameplay. The experience was really memorable. I only wish CiNG was still around to give us a new game, as I definitely would love to further explore the world of Mr. Hyde. In any case, I'll cherish the two experiences - Hotel Dusk and Last Window - for a very long time.

tumblr_static_20.gif

kazebyaka

Banned
Loved it. It's not much better than the first game, but at least they fixed some of my complaints. Loved all the characters and story was much more interesting than the first game's.

They have the Europe import at a store near me, but I still never have picked it up, despite me being a huge Hotel Dusk fan.

Think it might be time to go grab it.

They have the Europe import at a store near me, but I still never have picked it up, despite me being a huge Hotel Dusk fan.

Think it might be time to go grab it.

Do it for CiNG!

In all honesty, it's like this game expressed a premonition of CiNG's imminent demise. Kyle Hyde's background and history were unveiled; so much about him was told -- it was almost like the game was intended to be a final farewell to fans.

Brofield

An absolutely fantastic story, and it really gave me that noir detective itch that makes me want to consume it in any genre possible, be it games, movies or books (and if anyone has any suggestions, please throw them my way!)

More than anything I'm just glad the DS was region free. I picked it up from an import stall at FanExpo one year for $60, and it was worth every damn penny.

If someone ever did pick up the series, I'd be interested to see the series being able to explore beyond a single hotel/apartment building. Hell, even a mid-70s noir Chinatown involvement could be pretty interesting.

Arelaz

Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two of my favorite games on the DS. I also loved holding the handheld sideways, that was cool. Fond memories of this one. Great characters, art style, etc. Loved exploring the upper floor. That feeling of "I'm not supposed to be up here, but.."

I still have the Trace Memory sequel on the Wii to play, I should get to that some time..

So as a gamer in the States that loves this series, what are my options for playing this? I have an NA 3DS... Will the English import of the game work on it?

nynt9

Problems

Ok, just because I loved the game, doesn't mean that it didn't come with some flaws. Perhaps the biggest one was the game's uneven difficulty: Either it suffered a lot of hand-holding or from trial-and-error gameplay, specifically some of the puzzles. With the former, it felt like I was less of a detective and more of a tag-along. The game wouldn't allow me to figure certain things out on my own, such as follow-up actions (who to talk to next; where to go next, etc.), it was always Kyle instructing me on my next course of action. As far as the trial-and-error gameplay was concerned, there was one puzzle in the game that was completely bonkers and nearly broke the game for me...
music box
. No way anyone could have figured it out; I had to Gamefaqs it and it pissed me off that I did so.

I agree. Great story and characters, but the puzzle design was quite frustrating.And the story didn't feel as strong as the first game to me. But it's still one of the best games of its kind.

Davey Cakes

The only game I've ever been willing to pay import price for. Thank god the DS is region free.

Better than its predecessor in plenty of ways.

I wish the series could continue.

But yes, the puzzle you mentioned, OP, was a road block and took me a while to figure out.

I don't remember having to use a FAQ at least, but I forget the solution.

I picked this up on a whim not having played Hotel Dusk so it took me a while to actually get into it, when I did though it was worth it.
I should probably get around to Hotel Dusk one day but I'm not sure how much of its plot was spoiled by me playing the sequel first.

As far as the trial-and-error gameplay was concerned, there was one puzzle in the game that was completely bonkers and nearly broke the game for me...
music box
I also know this pain.

JPS Kai

Gotta say, I absolutely loved the two Hotel Dusks out there. A copy of Again came into my work for under $5 recently and I've been trying to play that one but it just doesn't have much charm compared to Kyle's story.

Verelios

Absolutely agree with the problems regarding difficulty. The thing is though, that I didn't mind much once I put it in the vein of a book. Sure, there's a measure of finding things out on your own, uncovering the overall mystery, but it's mostly like you're just along for the ride. Same for places to go.

And its a damn good ride. Kyle Hyde, that sardonic, wise cracking good natured asshole is a blast to play as. Loved every second of it, and especially liked learning thay Lyra was alright. It's a game that thrives on characterization and does it extremely well.

Favorite character has to be either Ed or Kyle.

Aeana

Gotta say, I absolutely loved the two Hotel Dusks out there. A copy of Again came into my work for under $5 recently and I've been trying to play that one but it just doesn't have much charm compared to Kyle's story.

Rika Suzuki wasn't involved (beyond being a supervisor, anyway), so that's why. She was responsible for game design/story in both Hotel Dusks and both Trace Memory/Another Code games.

Frost_Ace

Cing :( their output is sorely missed on the 3DS.

Anyway I love this game, great characters and story; the localization wasn't as good as the first one's though.

BAW

Banned
I found the story and characters in Hotel Dusk much better and stronger than in Last Window.

Last Window is still a good game though.

DukeBobby

It started to drag a little towards the end, but it's still one of my favourite DS games, along with Hotel Dusk.

I'm so glad this came to the UK.

Asbear

Banned
Cing :( their output is sorely missed on the 3DS.

Anyway I love this game, great characters and story; the localization wasn't as good as the first one's though.

I second this. Also, the story wasn't as original since it rehashed the formula of HD. I also felt Tony was a carbon-copy of Louis amongst more TBQH

But don't get me wrong; I absolutely love both games. I wish Rika Suzuki would return to game writing!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This is the only DS game I bothered to import. I've yet to play it, but I know I will at some point.

Famassu

Have any of the key CiNG people landed anywhere where they might continue making/writing games/stories like Hotel Dusk & Last Window & Another Code? Or did they vanish and/or just abandong game making?

i still need to get around to playing this one after the stellar Hotel Dusk!! I am saving it for a rainy evening and a bottle of good whiskey or something...

Praise the DS: Truly one of the most awesome systems ever (region free + probably the best handheld library ever)

i still need to get around to playing this one after the stellar Hotel Dusk!! I am saving it for a rainy evening and a bottle of good whiskey or something...

Praise the DS: Truly one of the most awesome systems ever (region free + probably the best handheld library ever)

Funny you mention that. There's a great whiskey drinking scene in Last Window so it would be perfect.

Amazing game. Serious lack of smiling Claire gifs in this thread though.

Zornica

Banned
I don't know why, but I didn't really like hotel dusk that much. Luckily I already bought this one in advance and ended up absolutely loving it

Corpekata

Banned
I stopped playing when I got to some puzzle where like I needed a penny or something and I couldn't do common sense things like go down to the diner and ask for change for the money that was sitting in my inventory. Kinda lost interest at that point. Might go back someday.

Hyunkel6

Love the series. My 2nd favorite after the Ace Attorneys. The game was amazing, except for the last puzzle's difficulty. I gave up after 45 minutes and looked on the internet for the solution. Felt bad about it too.

RIP Cing. :(

Bluth54

This is my second favorite DS game after Hotel Dusk. I didn't quite like the location or story as much as Dusk, but it's still really great.

I think this is the only game I've ever actually imported since NOA was being stupid didn't release it in the US. I wish Cing was still around to make more Kyle Hyde games for 3DS. :(

Roto13

I liked it but I wish Treehouse had done the localization.
And I wish I hadn't had to pay an inflated import price for it.

Again is terrible.

GSR

I liked it but I wish Treehouse had done the localization. .

That was one thing I noticed - Last Window's script is a bit drier than Hotel Dusk's, where characters really popped in just about every line of dialogue without being overbearing.

Ultimately though I think I prefer Last Window to Hotel Dusk, both because of the gameplay/graphical improvements and just a general story/atmosphere preference. While Hotel Dusk has the full noir going for it, Last Window just has a wonderful sense of melancholy coursing throughout it.

Top Bottom