• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metro Exodus (2019) PS5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
cUZCvglFmaR3qjlINgK05Sba.jpg

The metro series is a proven fps franchise I had to replay this game. Post apocalyptic Russia is very sexy.

I didn’t understand going back to the dead city, a very questionable decision especially after great open world levels like the Caspian, and Taiga two chapters that has you running around open areas, killing enemies like crazy.

metro_exodus_caspian.jpg

You'll see these scary mutants throughout the game as well as cannibalism, I think guns are important to any FPS and they’re bad in the metro games for some reason they just feel horrible, no disrespect to the classic AK and the gun customization is nothing over the top straight up basic scopes, ammo clips.

We see this blind ape stumble and return, and that’s oh-kay you’re able to light him on fire.

Metro-Exodus-How-to-Pass-Research-Facility-Without-Killing-Blind-One.jpg

I feel like the driving and gun mechanics are not good, but I’m not playing metro for those things. I think the level design is good, the enemies make you nervous in a good kind of way and I admit by character 6 I was ready to be done, they could have finished it there but your #1 companion gets sick and needs meds or whatever.

It’s a solid 8/10 game.

Its a very unique game with a strangely split identity. When I played it initially I really liked it for what it was, then started over a while later and was ultimately disappointed. There’s lots of cool immersive sim type of design philosophy which I love, but then it’s constantly taking control away from you for all these conversations and set pieces. I love the air rifle, very original weapon for sneaky combat.

just last week tried to replay it, & bailed after couple hours. for me, easily the weakest of the 3 games, got quickly bored of artyom's girlfriend & the whole get-along gang, & really feel that, once out of the actual metro, the game loses that unique, overwhelming sense of claustrophobia that made the first 2 so distinctive & memorable...

GymWolf

Good game but i didn't liked that much, it was just kinda boring to play and never liked the gunplay.

Its in my top atmospheric games of all time. People are high af if they did not notice how incredibly crafted the maps were, visually and by design. Sure its a bit janky but everything else? Roaming around the train for an hour and you'd still hear the people there telling stories and whatnot, so much care and love went into it.

Stuck with it despite the jank, enjoyed it overall. Could have used some extra gameplay polish though. Really liked the pressure pellet gun thing.
Also enjoyed just looking at passing scenery on the train.

Haven't played the DLCs but will one day.

buenoblue

Yeah I played it recently for the first time on ps5. It looks great and has all the ingredients for a great game, it's just not quite there. Oh and the audio mix was teribble.

Kenpachii

Nice tech demo, as somebody that liked first metro a lot.

This game was a disaster in my view. The mission structures where terrible, the over world felt dated as hell, visually a inconsistent mess. And in general promised open world type of game, but it was more a corridor fest.

Was fun to walk through it, but incredible short on top of it.

Not my game for sure.

The desert level especially felt very dated in visual design to me. Like a 360 era game or something. This team really excels at near field detail and most effectively at interiors. When you were inside some decrepit old storage facility or military installation, it was peak Metro. But soon as you're up on the surface of a very ugly desert, it falls apart hard. I mean compare RDR2 New Austin map to the desert in Metro, night and day.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I never finished it. On my first try I reached the desert area and once the game expected me to drive around some shitty mesa to find a way to get to the lighthouse, and I kept getting stuck on the terrain driving that truck with awful vehicle physics, I just lost my patience and gave up. Then, a couple of years later, I tried it again and this time I didn't even finish the first open area where you stop after escaping on a train. I preferred when those games were linear and the action mostly took place in metro tunnels. It was such a unique setting with lots of great world building and incredibly oppressive, foreboding atmosphere. Exodus on the other hand felt like just another run of the mill open world shooter and going out into those open spaces kinda took away from the series' unique feel. I get that the devs probably wanted to mix things up and not make a third game about tunnels but I don't think they have the chops to make a more open-ended game that's unique, engaging, and fun to play.

I remember that the worst part of Last Light was that stupid level where you had to wander around some shitty swamp and constantly falling into the water because the level design was so awful. And while Exodus is better than that crappy level in LL, I think it still carries some of the elements that make them not as fun to play as more linear levels of previous games.

I totally understand people who say they played for a few hours and gave up.

But, if you persevere it does get much better.

The amount of weapons, the size of the mini open world environments, the enemy types, the story itself, all improve a lot and, by the end, I really enjoyed my time with the game.

It's pretty the weakest of the three Metro games, but it's still a very solid FPS horror/action experience.

Metro 2033 Redux is still the best in my opinion, followed by Last Light and then Exodus.

Last edited:

Fbh

I had fun with it but it also felt like it lost a lot of its identity by completely dropping the "Metro" and going to the surface.
The whole concept of the underground society and the surface being this dangerous oppressive place made the previous games feel unique. With Exouds the world just turned into "not-Fallout".

To me Last Light is still the best in the franchise.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
BgSq2DA.png

Metro and Stalker games are my favorite games, I also enjoyed the graphics in Metro Exodus. I am not sure if there is a console game, which looks this crisp.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Personally I think it’s the best Metro game and one of the best shooters ever made.

I love the slower, more explorative pace. I was engrossed in the world, and the guns packed some nice punch. It was difficult to decide what to take.
The world itself felt hand crafted, and I liked that sometimes you could diffuse a situation by lowering your gun.

The developers have been amazing with a fantastic free visual upgrade to an already gorgeous game - and it runs unbelievably well. More people need to experience Exodus.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Game has amazing side quest, i never though I would finish the game + DLC.
Amazing experience.

RT is nicely implemented.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I remember that the worst part of Last Light was that stupid level where you had to wander around some shitty swamp and constantly falling into the water because the level design was so awful.

That’s not awful level design. You’re just used to every other game where you can go on auto pilot and safely run around.

Top Bottom