• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: NHL 07 (360)

Kingpen

While NHL2k7 was a good game, it got tiring having 60+ shots in the game with the majority of them being one timers (cause we all know the wrist shot sucks in that game). I decided to give NHL 07 a chance this past weekend. My first game was a a lukewarm reception of the game. I didn't understand how to control it and it felt really foreign. I finished it with about 10 shots on goal and got blasted 4-0 on all-star difficulty. I restarted it and things got better, and I only lost 2-0, but had about 20 shots in the game and was getting a feel for things.

Then it hit me when I was playing the red wings in the next game and watching Hasek sprall all over the ice making fantastic saves. I ended up going to a shootout after tying the game on a late power play in the third. The shootout was fantastic and I finally won it with Jordan Staal.

So I can definetely feel this game growing on me a lot.

I definetely think that it beats NHL2k7 in some categories such as:

Control and gameplay (this takes a while, but things are a lot more satisfying and rewarding in NHL07)

graphics
atmosphere
REPLAYS!
GOALIES!
all types of different shots that actually have a chance of going in (wristers especially)
Shootouts that actually are fun to play and are very intense.
and slightly in penalties called, although not by much (they were called with more frequency in 07).

NHL2k7 beats it in online play, frames per second (60 vs. 30), and skating animation.

But you know, I can see some areas that NHL definetely needs to improve on, but I am starting to favor it over 2k7. Might be a next gen google effect with the graphics at this point, but it just seems more sim (crazy as it seems) due to the goalies and shot totals being down lower then 2k7.

I'll have more impressions about this later...

Nothing beats the feeling of snapping that right stick for a slap shot and it connects with the back of the net.

Enjoy!

bigsnack

I own both hockey games, but NHL 07 is the game thata I continually go back to. It's the one all my friends ask to fire up when we're hanging as well. I feel that with the innovative controls, goals just feel more satisfying. Obviously EA has some work to do... I'd love to see 60 fps, more online options, and less goals that are kicked in by the goalie. Even though it's not perfect, the fun factor puts it over the top for me. Also, what good are all the online options that 2k7 has, if people are going to use the same cheap tactics to make sure they win? Many times I'd fire up an exhibition, and be down 10-0 in the first period due to the guaranteed one timer goal. I know I could defend better against it, but the fact that it exists definitely chips away at the realism and fun. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents!

If anyone is down to play some exhibitions in NHL '07 my gamertag is bigsnack. :)

Kingpen

yeah, I had a few online games in NHL2k7, but they did resort to hit fests and one timer fests.... I realize that I didn't play it enough online to actually feel like I was missing it though. I even tried to spearhead a league over here, but it floundered because of lack of commitment I guess from almost everyone involved...

I'm not saying NHL 07 is perfect (it has a lot of things it needs to 'polish'), but it sure was a different spin and a good touch of innovation. Other then Fight Night, I think it is EA's best attempt at a first edition of a next gen sports offering.

One thing I am really going to appreciate is the shootout controls in this game. I hated having a tie in NHL2k7 and then going to their shootout (it just felt so empty and lack of control it seemed) I really felt that I won that shootout against hasek with a sick deke move that was different then the 2 before that he had stopped.

Kingpen

Played 5 more games in my franchise last night, and now I am 4 - 3 in it. This is a much better ratio then I ever had at the beginning of my NHL2k7 franchise. The shot totals are staying between the 20s and 40s and the cpu is really putting up random performances, which is nice to see (after a 2-1 overtime shootout win against detroit, I won 2-1 against carolina, but then got absolutely dominated and outshot with a 2:1 ratio by New Jersey 3-0). I have only won by more then 2 goals once and that was with 2 empty net goals (4-1). Most of my games have had a decent amount of penalties called. Had a couple of fights too, but still am going to need to get the controls down for those...

If any of you guys were on the fence about giving this game a shot, in some places you can get this for 30 bucks, and at that price I gave it a shot and have been really happy with the breath of fresh air it has provided

Kingpen said:
While NHL2k7 was a good game, it got tiring having 60+ shots in the game with the majority of them being one timers (cause we all know the wrist shot sucks in that game). ...

Set one-timers to 'hard'. And the wrist shot is pretty good, especially if you skate in for a good shot and/or use manual aiming. The NHL 2K7 wrist shot is sure better than their slap shot. That (non-one-timer) slap-shot never goes in.

Fatalah

I posted a thread a few weeks back about how I was regretting buying NHL07, but since then, I've become a fan. It's all about getting used to the controls. But the one annoying thing for me is when you're on defense and you feel helpless (especially online).

The 30fps really hurts the visuals for me.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. With football season grinding to a close (and no decent football game to play for the second straight year, RIP NFL 2k5 and no backwards compatability) I'm going to be watching more hockey and craving a gaming fix. I'd have never thought to check out EA. =)

rs7k

I tried playing 2K7 after months of playing 07, and I was disgusted. Once you get used to the skill stick, you don't go back.

ghostface

I don't know which game you guys are playing, but in NHL 2K7 I score on wristers and slap shots regularly (I'm on Hall of Fame, manual everything). Seems to me that the OP hasn't played around with the slider settings enough to make it a realistic game. Crank up the goalie, defense and one-timer difficulty, lower speed burst, pass assist and offence. You have to try different setups. Also manual shot aim is an absolute must (a perfectly sniped top corner is oh-so-satisfying).

IMO, while 2K7 has its own wealth of problems, EA's offering has a long way to go in defensive play/strategy. That for me is the deal breaker.

VALIS

07 is just so much more fun than 2k7, and much more polished. As I said the other day, it's hard to believe both games are on the same console. 2k7 does have the better AI, but as I've been saying since NHL 07 has come out - you need to get used to it. The AI really isn't so bad in 07, but people aren't used to the skating. The skating in 07 has a lot of momentum, where in 2k7 it's like you're walking on ice. You can't take the same risks on defense in 07 that you do it 2k7. Just try to stay in front of the player/puck, don't challenge him unless you're really in a great position to do so.

rs7k

VALIS said:
07 is just so much more fun than 2k7, and much more polished. As I said the other day, it's hard to believe both games are on the same console. 2k7 does have the better AI, but as I've been saying since NHL 07 has come out - you need to get used to it. The AI really isn't so bad in 07, but people aren't used to the skating. The skating in 07 has a lot of momentum, where in 2k7 it's like you're walking on ice. You can't take the same risks on defense in 07 that you do it 2k7. Just try to stay in front of the player/puck, don't challenge him unless you're really in a great position to do so.

Great post.

The games in NHL 07 can be either so extremely tight or a blowout for one side (multiplayer, online and off). I was playing a 20-min period game with a friend who's got about the same level of skill as me, and he won 3-2 in OT, while shots were 47-39 for me.

If you play online with people in your level pool, games are always tight, which makes the game more realistic for me. TO be fair, I've only played 2K7 for an hour. I just couldn't appreciate any of the game's qualities since there's no skill stick and the ice physics just aren't the same.

NHL 08 for me next year, will it come out for PS3? Probably, but I can't imagine using the Sixaxis' loose joysticks for that one.

Kingpen

rs7k

my tag is KINGPEN66:

I definetely think my money is going toward NHL 08 next year as well... But this time around, I will keep NHL07 around until the games launch so I can wait out the reviews.... I'm definetely going to be playing this all spring and summer long....

To me, NHL 07 is the single greatest yearly edition in a sporting series. No other game has acutally made me want to finish an entire season until I popped this game in. Since, I have completed three full 82 game seasons and it's still too damn fun. It's the ultimate party sports game because once all my buddies come over and get a hang of the skill stick, we're all having a blast like never before. When you get a goal from a nice deke, you feel like you actually deked out the goalie; I've never had a sports game that had all my buddies jump up and cheer when we came from behinf to win. Screw the 60 FPS/ better skating animations, the game is damn fun and looks amazing in HD. Peace, that is all.

rs7k

Damn, I have a feeling I'd get trounced playing Kingpen in 2K7. He definitely knows how to play defense.

Kingpen

nice games rs7k.... I felt bad for you having to endure the 'Abby' chant for David Aebisher when I scored on you two times and the crowd chanted that right after the goal. You did better with Huet in net. We had a couple of pretty tight games, about 20 -25 shots apiece in each game. It was the most evenly matched sports contest I have had on LIVE since Fight Night.

I love this game... The thing that is awesome is that there is so much to master with the controls, yet they are very fun to pick up and play!

I'm down to play whomever....

epik

I've been playing for a while now, in leagues in stuff... add me we could play... but I whoop everyone lol ;p

epik07

Treo360

Kingpen said:
Anyone else up for playing this online?

I wanted to take you up on this, but after having played a game just now, well, I just can't bring myself to play this. The mechanics are all in place, however, there area host of problems that keep me from wanting to play this game at all (frame rate being one of them, camera angles are another)

Maybe next year.

But if you're open for some 2k7 loving . . .

BTW the opposition out shot me 25-10 in the first period alone in a 5 minute per period game.

Kingpen

I have some custom sliders on my game from the guys at operation sports (I play on all-star difficulty level) , so maybe that accounts for the differences in the shot totals. I have gotten great games in every single game I have played on this....

I don't have NHL2k7 anymore. It was a very hard decision to get rid of it because of how smooth the animation was and how much there was to do in that game, but the deciding factor was the 'one-timer' nature of the gameplay. I just grew tired of it, and also seeing all of my games in the 60+ shot range. It was totally unrealistic.

In NHL07 I get much closer and tighter games usually in the shot category (and penalty category too - it seems that the cpu actually takes a penalty every now and then where in NHL2k7, it was rare that they did)

Kingpen

I had another awesome game this morning and realized something that I didn't touch on at all before. The sound in this game is amazing. Each puck off of the goal pipes is great, and the crowd gets electric when you score a goal (and the air gets deflated out of them when the opposition scores).

I have never been so pumped scoring goals both with the skill stick, and the crowds reaction.

NHL08 gets my money next year, bar none!

If I could play this game online everyday, I would. However, whenever I play my brother we both seem to run into horrible lag. It's most likely not the games fault as the distance between us is close to a continent. I just wish I could play against with a better experience; the game without lag is just so much fun.

Phthisis

This game is really awesome. I owned the current gen version up until this week, but the 360 NHL 07 is a really competent hockey game. The skill stick is great, of course, but they also made it more challenging to play defense, which is good because now it actually takes skill. I played online for the first time tonight and recorded 3 straight shutouts thanks to the way I play D. I really like how the game plays: not overly realistic, but realistic enough for a sim fan like myself, and most of all fun. Glad I bought it.

Top Bottom