• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Nintendo Power's 100 Best Games of All Time - Sept. 1997

MidiSurf

Banned
Good list but I would definitely change SMB 3 and Mario 64 places. Sure Mario 64 was good but I still think SMB3 is greatest Mario game ever. And I would remove Tetris from the list.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, the list is good, it recognises Wave Race as being awesome, as well as Goldeneye, which, at the time, was THE game that defined console multiplayer, but MK64? 3rd? What the hell were these lot drinking? scary.

On a side note: Lol at everyone saying "Where's Ocarina" well er, words cannot describe your sillyness.

MidiSurf said:
Good list but I would definitely change SMB 3 and Mario 64 places. Sure Mario 64 was good but I still think SMB3 is greatest Mario game ever. And I would remove Tetris from the list.

In hindsight, I agree, but in 1997 the "Omg Mario in 3D wowzers best plaformer ever!!!" was the order of the day, for good reason, nowadays SMB3 is recognised for being a better game, but SM64 still helped define the next decade of gaming, in my opinion.

Baryn

Banned
I have this issue!! Was a complete Nbot back then...

I didn't understand how a platformer, no matter how good, made it to the number one slot with such little replay value once you've beaten it (IMO).

FFVI should have been at the top, I remember thinking that.

Sharp

Ranger X said:
Super Metroid wasn't in first. Don't tell me it was an opinion thing.
I can't be offended by that because Mario Kart 64's position is so blatantly off that any other discrepancies are relatively minor in comparison.

MidiSurf

Banned
Stop It said:
In hindsight, I agree, but in 1997 the "Omg Mario in 3D wowzers best plaformer ever!!!" was the order of the day, for good reason, nowadays SMB3 is recognised for being a better game, but SM64 still helped define the next decade of gaming, in my opinion.

I totally agree with you and I was one of those "Mario in 3d wowzers" at the time... And if the year was still -97 I would totally agree with Nintendo Power. Well except I would still lose the Tetris from the list.

Sharp

MidiSurf said:
I totally agree with you and I was one of those "Mario in 3d wowzers" at the time... And if the year was still -97 I would totally agree with Nintendo Power. Well except I would still lose the Tetris from the list.
The only reason Tetris wouldn't belong in the list would be if it were moved up to a different list to take its rightful place with games like chess and poker. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the few games that's so universal that it has, in a sense become a concept, or an idea, rather than a mere video game.

MidiSurf

Banned
Sharp said:
The only reason Tetris wouldn't belong in the list would be if it were moved up to a different list to take its rightful place with games like chess and poker. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the few games that's so universal that it has, in a sense become a concept, or an idea, rather than a mere video game.

Well I don't mean to bash Tetris or anything it's a one helluva game. Only reason why I would drop it from the list is that I never considered Tetris as a Nintendo game. It has always been computer game for me :) and it will always stay that way.

But I have to admit that the cut scenes on the Nintendo Tetris were hillarious. You know the russian theme with Nintendo characters

Ranger X

Sharp said:
I can't be offended by that because Mario Kart 64's position is so blatantly off that any other discrepancies are relatively minor in comparison.

lol i have to agree with you there

Red Scarlet

JodyAnthony said:
Man, Ultima: Exodus was way better than Quest of the Avatar.

What do you prefer about Exodus over QotA? Since I can play Ultima 3 (Exodus) on Amiga again, I'll probably never play the NES version anymore. But QotA on NES is pretty different from the computer version I could probably play both to get something different out of it.

I do prefer 4 to 3, as imo there is more meat to the game, so I'm wondering what you preferred in Exodus to QotA on NES.

Red Scarlet said:
What do you prefer about Exodus over QotA? Since I can play Ultima 3 (Exodus) on Amiga again, I'll probably never play the NES version anymore. But QotA on NES is pretty different from the computer version I could probably play both to get something different out of it.

I do prefer 4 to 3, as imo there is more meat to the game, so I'm wondering what you preferred in Exodus to QotA on NES.

i was actually able to beat exodus, heh.

I remember I worked hard and became an avatar in somethingorother in QotA and then I ran from a fight and I lost my avatarhood (something along those lines, I havent played it in 15 years) and I quit. I've actually wanted to pick it up again though, since I recently got a working NES again.

Red Scarlet

Exodus sure was more unforgiving (especially in dungeons), so did you just get stuck in QotA at some aspect? Couldn't get a virtue up? Couldn't find an item? I haven't played the NES QotA in a long time since I prefer it on the Amiga (same with Exodus), but I might still remember stuff from it.

If you do like Exodus, try out a computer version if you can. I'm a bit partial to the Amiga version over others (as that and Ultima 4 on Amiga were my first rpg's), and it plays decently similar to the NES one but I like how it looks and sounds better. 4 was changed quite a bit in a lot of important game areas when it came onto the NES.

Oh, if you lose a virtue, it doesn't take long to get it back again. I imagine the virtues still ran on a 'score of 100', so if you had partial in Valor and ran away, you'd lose it but be at around 95 'valor points'. I still have the NES QotA but it's at home. I'd be more than happy to help you give it another go. Maybe Error will finish the Amiga version of 4 before the end of the year (like he promised!) if someone else is playing some version of the game.

Top Bottom