• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nintendo Switch - This thing is effin' rad

Vawn

Banned
I might check that one out but I wouldn't call games like Xenoblade and SMTV as "mid-tier JRPG".

They're not on the budget scale of something like God of War, Red Dead or Assassin's Creed.

I thought Xenoblade 2 was okay at best too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They're not on the budget scale of something like God of War, Red Dead or Assassin's Creed.
So? DQXI and Persona 5 and even Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't have same budget as big AAA western game but that doesn't make them mid-tier JRPG.

Vawn

Banned
So? DQXI and Persona 5 and even Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't have same budget as big AAA western game but that doesn't make them mid-tier JRPG.

You can call them AAA if you want I guess. It really doesn't matter as I love jrpgs, but there are very few I consider AAA (which is only determined by budget, not quality).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love my Switch and play it almost daily. I bring it with me to work and play on my lunch breaks - I used to alternate between the Vita and 3DS depending on what I was playing at the time. The form factor is perfect, and having access to such a diverse library of titles is amazing.

I've probably spent less than 5% of my total Switch playtime connected to the TV, maybe less than 1%.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Yeah, I also bring it to work. Tabletop mode with the joy cons are a treat. Makes those tedious hours a little more bearable when you can whip out Dark Souls or Mario between work sessions.

Lightsbane

You could just throw away the dock.

Or sell it.

But I'm honestly waiting for a version that's smaller (needs to at least fit in my jackets with big pockets), has better battery life (at least one extra hour) and is quite a bit cheaper (50 euros less, at the very least).
For now, I'm sticking to the New 3DS.

Bakkus

SMT Nocturne.
smt_nocturne.jpg
You forgot 'Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series'

Chittagong

Gold Member
What a great Friday evening flight

2c5a6b72-4117-49fd-8gxd6b.jpeg

I still struggle to come to terms that this is a thing I actually can do now.

Makes me think, should I start my “Living the Switch life” thread here on GAF.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I picked up the console less than two months ago just to play Xenoblade and was skeptical about the hardware like everyone else.

Whike game is amazing and Super Smash is an addictive competative game, there are some things that bother me:

The console's screen being so low resolution and struggles to output 1080p in docked mode on the big screen for some games.

Some large games have significant framerates drops (Xenoblade) and the loading sometimes is atrocious the bottlenecks are very pronounced on this game. Heck, even DK: Tropical Freeze sometimes struggles!

Lack of Bluetooth support for headphones.

The bezels on the screen are HUGE.

It could use a revision with a SoC die shrink for both performance and battery improvements.

HeresJohnny

I got my money’s worth just using it as a portable Skyrim machine. The kickstand fucking sucks though; it’s an embarrassment from a design standpoint. Also the battery life sucks pretty bad. Other than that, it’s a nifty little piece of hardware.

clem84

Gold Member
What would you say is the best bang-for-your-buck controller right now? I was considering the Hori wired controller for Switch but the reviews seem to be mixed. Any suggestions?

dorkimoe

I got my money’s worth just using it as a portable Skyrim machine. The kickstand fucking sucks though; it’s an embarrassment from a design standpoint. Also the battery life sucks pretty bad. Other than that, it’s a nifty little piece of hardware.
I was planning on using the kickstand, should I invest in a dock?

Ulysses 31

Might wanna look into a powerbank to greatly extend mobile play like this one:

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/pre-order-powercore-20100-nintendo-switch-edition/A1275S11

and the charging stand from Nintendo:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D12JGBB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

Maguro

Got a Switch new...can someone recommend me physical Switch games by looking at my taste?:

I have Mario Odyssey already.
Maybe i'm gonna get Donkey Kong.
Smash Bros Ultimate is on its way.

Stuff i'm interrested in:

I'm gonne get the Darius Collection next month.
I'm gonna get the Odallus/Oniken Collection next month.
Interrested in the Okami Remaster (But already played/have)
Interrested in the Onimusha Remaster (But already have on Ps2)
Interrested in the Capcom Belt Action collection
Interrested in Sonic Mania
Interrested in Octopath
Interrested in Xenoblade 2 (But haven't played the first)

I'm really waiting for Metroid Prime 4
I'm really waiting for a full fletched Pokemon JRPG (Lets go doesn't count)
I'm waiting for a good Star Fox game.

I'm not interrested in BotW cause i don't like survival, empty open world games.
I'm not interrested in Splatoon cause i don't pay/play Online.
I'm not interrested in Mario Kart - playedi t already enough on WiiU

So what else is there that would fit my taste? Please recommend me some stuff :)

Last edited:

Rodolink

imo the OG Vita screen is still the best one I've seen on a handheld, beats Switch one by far, one of the reasons I'm waiting for a Switch revision (although I doubt it will come soon)

cireza

imo the OG Vita screen is still the best one I've seen on a handheld, beats Switch one by far, one of the reasons I'm waiting for a Switch revision (although I doubt it will come soon)
I totally agree with you, but I am not sure that it helps much Maguro who upped the thread :)

Maguro Maguro : I hope that you like waiting, Metroid Prime 4 has restarted development from scratch.

I recommend Sonic Mania, great game.
Xenoblade 2 is extremely blurry in handheld mode, don't recommend.
Octopath is extremely repetitive, don't recommend.
ARMS is great fun, but you must play it online. AI is not fun at all.
I HIGHLY recommend Valkyria Chronicles 4, it is the best game on the system in my opinion. Perfect for portable play.
I HIGHLY recommend Bayonetta 1 + 2, they are fantastic games.
Dead Cells is also pretty fun and there is a physical version.

Last edited:

Maguro

I totally agree with you, but I am not sure that it helps much Maguro who upped the thread :)

Maguro Maguro : I hope that you like waiting, Metroid Prime 4 has restarted development from scratch.

I recommend Sonic Mania, great game.
Xenoblade 2 is extremely blurry in handheld mode, don't recommend.
Octopath is extremely repetitive, don't recommend.
ARMS is great fun, but you must play it online. AI is not fun at all.
I HIGHLY recommend Valkyria Chronicles 4, it is the best game on the system in my opinion. Perfect for portable play.
I HIGHLY recommend Bayonetta 1 + 2, they are fantastic games.
Dead Cells is also pretty fun and there is a physical version.

I don't play portable..i'm a "at home" gamer only. I have Valkyria Chronicles for PS4 but haven't finished it. It's not bad tho.
Bayonetta i have on PS3 but also not finished... and the first game is only a download code on the switch, right?

Is there any sci fi games for switch? I'm kinda in a mech-y kinda mood right now. After sinking 200 hours into DQ11, i need a rpg break anyway now haha

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I love my Switch! It's easily my favourite console. Bought an XB1 and sold it after about a month. I have a PS4 but it's gathering dust because RDR2 bored me to death and the next exclusive I plan on buying is TLOU2.

It's not a perfect console but quite close. The only issue I have with it is the short battery life and the ridiculous huge bezels. Hopefully we get a revision this year.

Andyliini

Is there any sci fi games for switch? I'm kinda in a mech-y kinda mood right now. After sinking 200 hours into DQ11, i need a rpg break anyway now haha

I can't think of one already released, but Marvelous ir releasing a game called Daemon X Machina this year. That seems to fit quite well.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Got one of these recently. It's fucking brilliant for the Switch. No more sore arms/arm strain while playing the Switch in a horizontal position. Ports aren't blocked either, per charging or headphone usage. It clips to a bed head-board, table and the "neck" is completely adjustable/bendable to your preference. Even used it a few times to watch Netflix on my cellphone. Very highly recommended. Link below per Amazon:

Gooseneck tablet/phone/Switch holder by TRYONE

Top Bottom