• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: P.T.

Neiteio

I also played not long time ago with a friend: it was great. Although, as you did not mention it, the paper lunch bag also speaks when you "start over".

The scariest moment (for me) was just before that one, when the radio says "look behind you" twice. We did as it said and… nothing. Then, we want to face the corridor door again and Lisa attacked us. We screamed a bit. :)
Ha, when I listened to the radio, I kept my back to the wall, so I was pretty confident nothing could jump me. But yeah, then I went through the next door... :-O

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Best game this generation. It's a shame it won't get recognised as such. Innovative gameplay, great art direction, great gameplay design, proof that less is more, highly replayable and oh so creepy.

Ferr986

It probably was disproven, because there were numerous people on GameFAQs and Reddit who beat the game and they never used the mic.

Problem is, each person appeared to beat the game in a different way.

I suspect the game is randomized in the final stretch. Each loop starts a timer that may or may not trigger one or two baby laughs after a random period of time.

Bad design, IMO.

I wonder if that people that beat it without mic are full of bullshit or it's true. I never could myself, that's for sure.

The point is, the real solution (as per PSblog hints) is that you need to use a mic, and call for Jack (saying his name) for one laugh.

I walked till I stood one pace before Jack

Heart pounding

I whispered his name second laugh, whispering his name, one of the random demonic voices tells you the name: Jack

But the night wind stole his voice away

In the moment our hands overlap

We share in an instant of private darkness

His touch, cold as marble

Cold, and shivering all over

Never moving a step, his hand in mine,

I waited for it to pass. tercer laugh, standing still when pad vibrates

And through the mists of waning consciousness

I thought I heard a phone ring.

You’ve been chosen.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/31/p-t-ps4-survival-tips-konamis-horror-hit/

The random demonic voices can be hints, but they're reversed in-game so they¡re really hard to understand.

Also, Lisa can do kill you on the last part, when she rush towards you she starts following you behind you, and can randomly kill you. Thing is, is totally random when, so she can kill you 10 secs after or never... it triggers when turning around, but still it's random.

Then what are the steps?

1) wait till 00:00
2) do 10 steps for first baby laugh. Need to be exactly 10.
3) whisper Jack using a mic. It takes time to registrer, don't expect to trigger the laugh fast. Keep whispering
4) After this, pad will vibrate, stand totally still till it stops. 3rd laugh after this
5) Phone will ring, go there and examine it
6) ????
7) Fuck you Konami

PT is such a strange thing. People calling it best horror game and even best game of this generation when it's just a teaser for a game we will never play. Especially interesting my as Silent Hills surely would have been predominantly third person given they had Norman Reedus likeness I can't imagine they would do that just to spend the game in third person. Though Kojima did hire Surherland and then barely have him any lines so who knows.

Dad was such a drag. Every day he'd eat the same kind of food, dress the same, sit in front of the same kind of games... Yeah, he was just that kind of guy. But then one day, he goes and kills us all! He couldn't even be original about the way he did it. I'm not complaining... I was dying of boredom anyway, But guess what? I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me.
I love the writing in this game.

PT in PSVR cinematic mode is going to be wild. I can barely play with headphones on.

Neiteio

I wonder if that people that beat it without mic are full of bullshit or it's true. I never could myself, that's for sure.

The point is, the real solution (as per PSblog hints) is that you need to use a mic, and call for Jack (saying his name) for one laugh.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/31/p-t-ps4-survival-tips-konamis-horror-hit/

The random demonic voices can be hints, but they're reversed in-game so they¡re really hard to understand.

Also, Lisa can do kill you on the last part, when she rush towards you she starts following you behind you, and can randomly kill you. Thing is, is totally random when, so she can kill you 10 secs after or never... it triggers when turning around, but still it's random.
We'll have to try it again using my mic to say "Jack." Sucks that the PS4 Gold headset causes the sound to stop coming out of the TV when you use it; I want my friend to hear what happens when it happens.

That's crazy that Lisa can kill you in the last part. So if she kills you, does it send you back to the very beginning, or just the beginning of that section?

Also, guess I got lucky, because we were stuck in the last section for at least a half-hour, and I actively sought out Lisa and ran up to her each time.

I can't help but wonder how the game would have worked if it turned into a full length project. Was it really going to be as gratuitously obtuse as the teaser? Like, forget about how little information Dark Souls gives you, there is shit in that game where you literally couldn't move forward without a bug-tester level of experimentation.

Granted in the internet age, it was unraveled in time, but... I hate being stuck in pleasant, colorful adventure games, the idea of being stuck in the stressful environment of a spookhouse seems like a recipe for disaster, either out of frustration or the amount of clinical screwing around necessary to move forward might sap all the scariness.

Neiteio

I can't help but wonder how the game would have worked if it turned into a full length project. Was it really going to be as gratuitously obtuse as the teaser? Like, forget about how little information Dark Souls gives you, there is shit in that game where you literally couldn't move forward without a bug-tester level of experimentation.

Granted in the internet age, it was unraveled in time, but... I hate being stuck in pleasant, colorful adventure games, the idea of being stuck in the stressful environment of a spookhouse seems like a recipe for disaster, either out of frustration or the amount of clinical screwing around necessary to move forward might sap all the scariness.
I doubt the full game would've been nearly as obscure. I think the teaser was just obscure to encourage the Internet to work together. This helped it go viral.

Ferr986

We'll have to try it again using my mic to say "Jack." Sucks that the PS4 Gold headset causes the sound to stop coming out of the TV when you use it; I want my friend to hear what happens when it happens.

That's crazy that Lisa can kill you in the last part. So if she kills you, does it send you back to the very beginning, or just the beginning of that section?

Also, guess I got lucky, because we were stuck in the last section for at least a half-hour, and I actively sought out Lisa and ran up to her each time.

Just begining of the section, it's like looping. Also, after a X number of loopings, she will kill you no mattter what, but it takes a lot of loops. Like +50 straight loops or so?

Btw , I updated my last post on how to get the ending.

I doubt the full game would've been nearly as obscure. I think the teaser was just obscure to encourage the Internet to work together. This helped it go viral.

This is what they wanted to do, go viral. Kojima recomended playing the game via Twitch, they wanted people to stream and as a community look for the solution of the puzzles, while going viral because of it.

No, he said P.T. and Silent Hills weren't related. There were two publicly released "teasers" for Silent Hills (P.T. and the TGS concept movie), and they're both very different from one another And the main reason the puzzles were so obtuse was because he expected it to take players a week to complete. It's pretty short if you know exactly what you're doing, which wouldn't have been the case with the full game.

Dremark

Banned
I played this yesterday with my brother, I never played the series before but he was always a fan of these type of games and didn't have a PS4 when the demo got yanked.

Was interesting trying to figure stuff out together. Eventually we broke out a walkthrough for the last part. I thought it was really interesting that there seems to be no concensus on how to trigger the ending. Eventually my brother handed me the controller and I managed to trigger the final sequence.

Interesting demo, he seemed more impressed with it than I did, but I would have snagged it day one out if confidence for Kojima. Still too bad nothing will ever come of it, or at least not directly.

Neiteio

I played this yesterday with my brother, I never played the series before but he was always a fan of these type of games and didn't have a PS4 when the demo got yanked.

Was interesting trying to figure stuff out together. Eventually we broke out a walkthrough for the last part. I thought it was really interesting that there seems to be no concensus on how to trigger the ending. Eventually my brother handed me the controller and I managed to trigger the final sequence.

Interesting demo, he seemed more impressed with it than I did, but I would have snagged it day one out if confidence for Kojima. Still too bad nothing will ever come of it, or at least not directly.
How did you beat it? Did you use the mic?

Dremark

Banned
How did you beat it? Did you use the mic?

My brother had tried a bunch of stuff but couldn't get the vibration to trigger for more than a second.

From what I recall doing I cycled through until I had a flashlight that was normal color.

I walked into the restroom, heard the fetus laugh, then wondered around. I found Lisa twice, the first time I kept my distance and zoomed in on her, she was flipping out and just vanished after a bit. The second time I got too close and she seemed to grab me and disappear.

I continued to run around, a really odd coincidence happened where my brother asked me if the controller had vibrated yet right at the instant it started. I stood still for a while until it stopped, got the laugh and the phone rang, cycled through because no other doors would open and watched the trailer.

I had the mic plugged in, I think my brother was still wearing it but we were just talking general conversation so I'm not sure if it did anything or not.

SomTervo

I suspect the game is randomized in the final stretch. Each loop starts a timer that may or may not trigger one or two baby laughs after a random period of time.

Bad design, IMO.

I don't think it is. Kojima himself said he could imagine it taking a long, long time for people to work it out. I'm pretty certain he used those words: "work it out". Like there was a definite pre-determined logic to it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
PT is such a strange thing. People calling it best horror game and even best game of this generation when it's just a teaser for a game we will never play. Especially interesting my as Silent Hills surely would have been predominantly third person given they had Norman Reedus likeness I can't imagine they would do that just to spend the game in third person. Though Kojima did hire Surherland and then barely have him any lines so who knows.

It's still a game. A self-contained game. None of which would (most likely) end up in Silent Hills. We who considered it the greatest game of the generation are willing to side-step the PR angle. A game is a game is a game, etc.

nkarafo

The best thing about PT is that you didn't know it has anything to do with Silent Hill, until the reveal. Which means it could be anything. Kojima doesn't need Konami's permission to make something like this, he could just give it a different name and it would be the same thing.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
What makes me sad about PT is how much the story already had me super interested. All the little bits of info the teaser gives you make it seem like there was a really great, dark, creepy Silent Hill story coming. I hate that it will never be told. Even if Kojima and Del Toro make a horror game together, it won't be Silent Hills. That really bums me out.

That was a good read op.
P.T was an experience I'll never forget.

With Kojima having Junji Ito on bored Hills could of been a phenomenal return to form the series.

Konami is the worst.

Top Bottom