• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Phil Spencer is a cool guy after listening to his Podcast Unlocked interview

Yes it's a good guy BUT this good guy has worked secretly to buy exclusive for games initially announced multiplatform. He is good just if you buy his product.

That's his job. I don't agree with his decision, but from his perspective, it's not a terrible option to take.

To me, I don't berate Phil for signing that exclusivity deal. He did what someone in his position would do, even though I don't agree with it as a consumer. What I berate him on, however, is the whole mixed messaging at the announcement. What I would like is for him to be more honest about it, instead of their initial mixed-messaging of the exclusivity status.

omonimo

Banned
Definitely not nice things but you understand why, they have nothing to go against Uncharted, buy Tomb Raider which is a scum tactic but his job demands it to sell more consoles. While doing that, they invest in new IP so they say. Doing his job two different ways, good and evil. I still don't get the parity release clause, all sorts of stupid.
Let me say from him with all good talks, this move it's horrible. Insomniac deal it's good but what he has done for Tomb raider gggh. Terrible.

Etnos

Banned
you understand it's all an act.. yes?

I mean, everything dude said was meant to make him seem like he's for the gamers!

#4TheGamers !? At the end all these large video game companies exist to make money, they are all acting, they all use pandering marketing to buy sympathies. However, I think Spencer is passionate about the brand which is good for xbox owners at the end.

Literally choked on my coffee. You can't honestly believe that, right?

because, the only value metric that count is 1080p 60fps... right...

Zyae

Yeah, it is always interesting listening to him.

uh-huh.

wFwnBfH.gif

iMax

ibqj4l3tVKdYxH.gif

It's true though. Throwing money at Eidos to delay the PS4 version of Tomb Raider and defending the parity clause are both fairly shitty.

And contrary to the claims of people on GAF (and MS's own claims at this year's E3) we haven't seen some sudden rush of game content on Xbone now that he's in charge. In fact Sony are securely ahead in that league.

So far I only see him having done the bare minimum necessary to placate people and rouse some interest in Xbone. What MS right now is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty, not just someone who 'isn't as bad as the last guy'.

Well, it is part of his job to secure exclusives, so he's doing that well. It's shitty for people who don't own Xbox One consoles, sure. But that's not his concern.

And I'm not sure what you mean by your second point. As an owner of both consoles, I think Microsoft's announced first-party lineup is a little stronger right now.

Taking words out of contest that would work most of those were sarcastic comments carry on you can find more but please pick the one that fit your agenda
The only missing context is that everyone else was also 'praising' Cerny/Shu in those threads.

But if you join in on that behavior for Cerny/Shu, why can't you accept it when people say nice things about Phil?

Chobel

Parity is shit, but you have no idea what the deal was with Tomb Raider also its not like Phil Spencer put a gun to SEs head, they didn't have to sign that deal. If MS made an offer that was beneficial to both perhaps SE thought it was better for them in the long run.

How much do you expect to achieve in 6 months? MS have plenty of content coming, does someone really have to list it to show you?

Oh c'mon! That's really weak argument, you're better than this Steverulez. MS is also to blame for this, It was simply a moneyhat.

"MS have plenty of content coming", obviously MS is not confident enough about that and had to moneyhat a game for timed exclusivity even though it was coming anyway to xbox owners.

Zyae

It's true though. Throwing money at Eidos to delay the PS4 version of Tomb Raider and defending the parity clause are both fairly shitty.

And contrary to the claims of people on GAF (and MS's own claims at this year's E3) we haven't seen some sudden rush of game content on Xbone now that he's in charge. In fact Sony are securely ahead in that league.

So far I only see him having done the bare minimum necessary to placate people and rouse some interest in Xbone. What MS right now is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty, not just someone who 'isn't as bad as the last guy'.

Yeah, I mean Sonys exclusive line up in 2014 is so much better compared to MS right...

The only missing context is that everyone else was also 'praising' Cerny/Shu in those threads.

But if you join in on that behavior for Cerny/Shu, why can't you accept it when people say nice things about Phil?

The obvious double standards should be obvious. I mean, come on.

We've got Percy in here calling out homie's post histories. PERCY

It's like Derrick01 clowning on someone for being too negative on a game. lol

And I'm not sure what you mean by your second point. As an owner of both consoles, I think Microsoft's announced first-party lineup is a little stronger right now.

Preferences, do you know it?

I think MS has a better line-up for the 2nd half of this year, but bar any unexpected changes/announcements, I think next year's line-up on PS4 is notably better than XB1's.

But that's my preferences, because Tomorrow Children, Rime, etc really tickles my bone, but those games don't appeal to everyone.

JaggedSac

Kinect was a mistake, one which most likely pushed by Mattrick, but the home living room, multiple OS xbox one is what Microsoft wanted and what you would have received with Phil Spencer.

Good, I'll make sure to thank him for that if I ever meet him.

TheF1BOB

Banned
Wow, on one page we have a great detectiveGAF post, and then a few posts later we have this. If this were reddit, this would belong in shittydetectiveGAF. This post is bad, and you should feel bad. Telling someone to GTFO because they don't like Spencer in a thread that's all about whether we like or dislike Spencer... Do you know how forums work?

If you don't like the guy, fine but why keep posting about it?

Just to say, I don't think Spencer comes to neverland. Xbone was planned with him.

How did you know Spencer is not involved at the beginning? He tries to change because customers want that, but not means he doesn't believe to the initial strategy at the time.

Yeah because him says so, how he can lie? Such pure soul. He has nice talks, but he is in charge to change, he can't say otherwise.

yes i should feel bad.

I don't think you know how detective GAF works.

hmm...

What because he doesn't believe in Phil Spencer?

Ive never seen people wearing campaign buttons in their avatar saying we believe in Yosp.

i feel bad.

Moofers

People saying it's too late for Xbone to win this gen are forgetting just how early we are into it. 10 million vs 5 million is not a total victory yet. PS3 really came around last gen. There's no reason Xbone can't do the same. They are ready making great strides and honestly, they are delivering on system functionality stuff and making me a little jealous as a PS4 owner.

I'll have my Xbone for Gears 4, I'm certain, but damned if they aren't already doing a great job of making me wish I had one now. That alone is a massive victory when you consider I had completely written off the system last year. They will continue to change people's minds like they have mine. It's going to be a long gen and a tighter race than some of you might expect.

iMax

Preferences, do you know it?

I think MS has a better line-up for the 2nd half of this year, but bar any unexpected changes/announcements, I think next year's line-up on PS4 is notably better than XB1's.

But that's my preferences, because Tomorrow Children, Rime, etc really tickles my bone, but those games don't appeal to everyone.

Well, yes, that's why I'm confused as to why the point was brought up, as having a discussion isn't really possible.

I don't know if he's a legit guy.

Given the situation the XBox brand currently experiences, it was pretty clear what the community wanted to hear from the head of XBox. Spencer told us exactly THAT. We won't be able to tell if Spencer really is a legit guy until the xbox brand recovers.

You can't judge people if they're in a position of weakness, because they will do whatever is necessary to appeal to you.

JaggedSac

People saying it's too late for Xbone to win this gen are forgetting just how early we are into it. 10 million vs 5 million is not a total victory yet. PS3 really came around last gen. There's no reason Xbone can't do the same. They are ready making great strides and honestly, they are delivering on system functionality stuff and making me a little jealous as a PS4 owner.

I'll have my Xbone for Gears 4, I'm certain, but damned if they aren't already doing a great job of making me wish I had one now. That alone is a massive victory when you consider I had completely written off the system last year. They will continue to change people's minds like they have mine. It's going to be a long gen and a tighter race than some of you might expect.

It is too late for them to win. But it doesn't really matter. In fact, they are going to be trying as hard as they can for the entire gen to get folks to buy the boxes. Giving people what they want in OS updates, doing bundles they are surely taking a loss on, spending more money on games than they would have before, putting games in production they wouldn't have before just to appease the core base, etc. They are losing and folks who like Xbox are going to reap the benefits. I am pretty sure Banjo wouldn't be getting made if MS were not in the position they are now...and that is a good thing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well, it is part of his job to secure exclusives, so he's doing that well. It's shitty for people who don't own Xbox One consoles, sure. But that's not his concern.

He didn't secure shit except a delay for PS4 owners. There's literally zero value beyond bragging rights for Xbone players in MS paying to delay the PS4 version.

For the amount of money that they're spunking away on these completely pointless deals they could be making actual new exclusive content for Xbone players. But MS don't have any interest in that. It's something that they've demonstrated thoroughly over the last 5+ years, that they have only a minimum level of concern for providing actual exclusive content for their platform, and a far greater level of interest in punishing the people who don't buy it through their crappy 'exclusivity' deals.

First, I agree that they should rethink and change the parity clause though It doesn't bother me personally because most indie games don't interest me.

Second, what is shitty about MS snatching TR exclusivity even if its timed? From Phil's perspective its a great move. He works for MS, and ultimately present and future xbox owners. He doesn't work for people who want to have nothing but a PS4 or Wii U.

I have not seen or heard people talking about a rush of games on any platform. Since you bring it up. Is MS somehow lacking in first party support? 2015 I think may be a different story but it seems relative to Sony MS has done a pretty damn good job bringing and creating content for their machine. I'm sure a list war may put Sony on top but I know many people who think the Xbox has the most exciting lineup and current roster of games to play. I feel that way.

Speaking of him doing the bare minimum is just stupid because the vast majority of people have no idea what he is doing. To assume one way or another is just pointless.

statham

Oh c'mon! That's really weak argument, you're better than this Steverulez. MS is also to blame for this, It was simply a moneyhat.

"MS have plenty of content coming", obviously MS is not confident enough about that and had to moneyhat a game for timed exclusivity even though it was coming anyway to xbox owners.

IMO, SE had a game comparable to UC4 coming out at the same time, sales would suffer, they could delay both versions until march-summer or take a money hat and still release the Xbox version and then later release Sony's version. I think its a win-win in my made up scenario which I think is close.

Well, yes, that's why I'm confused as to why the point was brought up, as having a discussion isn't really possible.

It's kinda moot anyway. Any game from now till 2016, are most likely signed while Spencer wasn't head of Xbox yet. The only 'new content' that we can attribute him as head of Xbox is... Tomb Raider.

Anyway, both companies ( and Nintendo ) are doing a decent job at games. MS is better in some respect, Sony is better in some others. Though MS could do with spacing out their games more a bit in a calendar year.

TheF1BOB

Banned

Nah they're not winning it but can continue working on bringing new games and what not to the console.

Be interesting what their strategy will be in the upcoming years.

sangreal

Is this how we are framing timed exclusives now? I don't remember that for (eg) any of the GTA games on PS2 that were delayed on Xbox, or Bioshock, Minecraft, etc. that were first on 360

iMax

He didn't secure shit except a delay for PS4 owners. There's literally zero value beyond bragging rights for Xbone players in MS paying to delay the PS4 version.

For the amount of money that they're spunking away on these completely pointless deals they could be making actual new exclusive content for Xbone players. But MS don't have any interest in that. It's something that they've demonstrated thoroughly over the last 5+ years, that they have only a minimum level of concern for providing actual exclusive content for their platform, and a far greater level of interest in punishing the people who don't buy it through their crappy 'exclusivity' deals.

Umm, I'm pretty sure there is value otherwise they wouldn't do it. They'll push more consoles, attract Tomb Raider fans over—that's what exclusives do.

I agree with you that they should up their internal efforts, and I don't share Phil's loose belief that a third-party studio developing an exclusive game is suddenly a "first-party project". It's not sustainable in the long term. But for Xbox owners, it's nothing but a win-win.

Mr Moose

I quite like Phil, he seems decent enough and he's a hell of a lot better than the last guy.
When I first seen him at E3 2013 (or was it before then? When announcing the prices) I thought he was a used car salesmen type of guy, but after seeing some of his interviews he's grown on me.

Chobel

First, I agree that they should rethink and change the parity clause though It doesn't bother me personally because most indie games don't interest me.

Second, what is shitty about MS snatching TR exclusivity even if its timed? From Phil's perspective its a great move. He works for MS, and ultimately present and future xbox owners. He doesn't work for people who want to have nothing but a PS4 or Wii U.

I have not seen or heard people talking about a rush of games on any platform. Since you bring it up. Is MS somehow lacking in first party support? 2015 I think may be a different story but it seems relative to Sony MS has done a pretty damn good job bringing and creating content for their machine. I'm sure a list war may put Sony on top but I know many people who think the Xbox has the most exciting lineup and current roster of games to play. I feel that way.

Speaking of him doing the bare minimum is just stupid because the vast majority of people have no idea what he is doing. To assume one way or another is just pointless.

Because it was coming anyway to xbox owners and all he did was delay the other versions of the game, so he didn't do any good to Xbox owners for doing that deal other than some bragging rights.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is this how we are framing timed exclusives now? I don't remember that for (eg) any of the GTA games on PS2 that were delayed on Xbox, or Bioshock, Minecraft, etc. that were first on 360

It's how we're framing 'timed exclusives' where the delayed platform has around half of the sales of the leading platform, the company that is paying for the timed exclusives has a history of derelicting its duty as a platform holder, and where we can be reasonably assured that the only reason for the delay is because that company forked over a huge amount of cash, yes.

iMax

Looks at Master Chief Collection... Yep.

Hardly great value. It's just a bunch of old re-released games, right?

Oh, it's all four Halo games? OK, that's pretty good. Wait, they remastered Halo 2? And the multiplayer? OK, no that's pretty damn great.

Hang on, it has an original digital short too called Halo: Nightfall? By Ridley Scott? For free?! Wow. There's no way this could get better.

Halo 5: Guardians beta. Are you freaking kidding me. There's no way this is gonna be anywhere near $59... Right?

Guerrilla

It's kinda moot anyway. Any game from now till 2016, are most likely signed while Spencer wasn't head of Xbox yet. The only 'new content' that we can attribute him as head of Xbox is... Tomb Raider.

Anyway, both companies ( and Nintendo ) are doing a decent job at games. MS is better in some respect, Sony is better in some others. Though MS could do with spacing out their games more a bit in a calendar year.

wasn't his job acquiring games before he bacame head of xbox? So the one thing we def. could give him credit for is exactly that?

Anyways, there have been changes for the better since he took the position, he is likeable and seems passionate about gaming. That is all you could ever ask for in a gaming executive.
I believe....

omonimo

Banned
I don't remember any precedent of a company who tries to buy a multiplat game announced previously in another console. The only reason because TR it's timed exclusive & the only exclusive, it's 'thanks' to the companies.

EGOMON

There is a difference between being sarcastic and serious (making avatars and badges) anyway nothing will stop the carnival of stupid

Just stop...
And who you are to stop me from posting/commenting?

iMax

He's been head of the first-party unit for years, so he's certainly had a big say on their strategy. Don't forget Mojang, either.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
you understand it's all an act.. yes?

I mean, everything dude said was meant to make him seem like he's for the gamers!

the part about what he would do if he were in charge was pretty obvious... the guy was there, in a high level position that could have influenced shit, but instead, he decided went right along with it.

anyway, this whole attitude is an act to make it seem as if he is really a fresh start... when it isn't.

but hey it worked on you, and a vast majority of people who were dying for someone to have hope in with the xbone.... so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Do you work for a business? Where the boss has the final call? You can have all the ideas but if you can't have them seem through to fruition it doesn't mean anything how high up you are

Quotient

Yeah, this is pretty spot on. Even without Kinect, the Xbox One wasn't going to change. If Microsoft launched the following year, then it's possible a hardware change could have happened but what you have now is what Phil Spencer would have delivered, no doubts about it. Yes, the message might have been more game focused but under the hood, no change.

They may have launched with the kinectless SKU we have now - Xbox one for $399.

Nzyme32

whats the obsession with phil spencer threads? we already had a thread about this very podcast yesterday.

Some people like to get their confidence for a platform based on how they perceive a person... seems ridiculous to me.

I understand people being happy about a persons decisions for the platform and business, but being "a cool guy" is utterly meaningless, and then comparing people and their respective cool is just as odd. It has no bearing on the platform. Honestly it's like reading a gossip mag or the Sun and all their Celeb chat

Prine

Banned

Pointless? It was a move to promote and push Xbox One, if it does (true next gen TR) then he made a great move. There's nothing wrong with what he did, actually glad we get TR which will benefit from dev focused purely on one console.

And they are offering tons of exclusive content. e3 for Xbox one was good and him coming out and green lighting Crackdown, Phantom Dust pushing Xbox one OS to be driven by fans, bringing back Rod Ferguson to drive Gears, removing kinnect to provide options, letting Rare be Rare! And so much more over the last 6 months is more than enough evidence to gauge he's a positive force for Xbox gamers, more so than any other since my boys Allard and Ed Fries.

TheF1BOB

Banned
There is a difference between being sarcastic and serious (making avatars and badges) anyway nothing will stop the carnival of stupid

And who you are to stop me from posting/commenting?

It's all fucking retarded. It's cool if you like them by posting and having avatars about them but that's it. Don't get too invested in them.

I like them all...well...that Layden hasn't impressed me yet.

Out of my curiosity, how old are you? I hope you are very young.
Because it's not exactly clear what hurt you from my words.

well someones upset..

omonimo

Banned
It's all fucking retarded. It's cool if you like them by posting and having avatars about them but praising them like their a fucking god is too much.

I like them all...well...that Layden hasn't impressed me yet.

well someones upset..
I'm more depressed to your words, to be honest, if you want to know.

Chobel

IMO, SE had a game comparable to UC4 coming out at the same time, sales would suffer, they could delay both versions until march-summer or take a money hat and still release the Xbox version and then later release Sony's version. I think its a win-win in my made up scenario which I think is close.
That theory doesn't make sense though:
  • Why did they delay the PC version? There's no UC in PC.
  • All delayed ports sell like shit, you can bet PS4 version sales would be bad. So I'm pretty sure PS4 version sales would be higher in holiday than when it will be released sometime early 2016.
  • UC4 and RoTR are two different games, there won't that much overlap between them. And even then a lot of games in same genre are released in the same month, and yet all of them sell well; ex: BF and CoD.

Top Bottom