• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Phil Spencer is a cool guy after listening to his Podcast Unlocked interview

BFIB

I like Spencer a lot. I forgot the interview, but it was sometime during E3 and he stated that he owned an XBox One, PS4, and Wii U. Said he's a gamer first, but loves the competition.

He got dealt a bad hand in dealing w/ the Xbox One PR nightmare, but he's turned the brand around at a fast rate.

How did you know Spencer is not involved at the beginning?

He would have obviously been sat round the table when it was all discussed but I doubt he decided any details because as I said earlier, it was his job to get games on the platform, not design it, thats why they had Marc Whitten and the whole hardware team.

Rather telling that neither Don Mattrick or Marc Whitten are still at the company, personally.

Perhaps Phil Spencer didn't sit round the table and protest loudly as some sort beacon of hope for Xbox gamers, I don't really know I don't really expect it either. I think he acted as a professional, he did his job which was to get first party content on Xbox One (and he did a great job of that, in my opinion) and then he took on the top job when it was available.

Perhaps he thought the DRM was a good idea at the time, saw the backlash and realised (like everyone else) that it wasn't a good idea *shrug*

It may help Microsoft that many of the faces associated with Xbox One’s bungled beginnings are also now gone. Don Mattrick, former president of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business (the division responsible for Xbox), quit to go work at Zynga. CEO Steve Ballmer has retired. And on the eve of GDC, chief product officer Marc Whitten left to take up the same position at wireless audio leader Sonos. Microsoft has a new CEO, Satya Nadella, and IEB has a new president in former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, but Molyneux believes that the most significant departure of them all will be Whitten’s.

“He was very influential,” Molyneux explains. “Perhaps more than you realise, because he was in charge of all of the software – the operating system side. A lot of the things Phil Spencer’s group wanted to do, quite often they didn’t happen because they weren’t implemented on the operating system side. Him leaving softens quite a few lines.”

It leaves Harrison and Spencer as the public faces of Xbox, and being able to put two execs with extensive experience of the game industry in front of press, players and creators will surely help with image repair. Epic CEO Tim Sweeney says the two Phils “have done a great job of opening up to the community and talking as real human beings about Microsoft’s plans, and that’s a really welcome change from what was previously a very PR-driven company. I’m very hopeful Microsoft is getting through this long winter of mismanagement. It came from the top, despite the best efforts of the guys in the trenches, and I’m hopeful they’ll do a lot of good things.”

Edge feature

I think Peter Molyneux and Tim Sweeney know their stuff considering their relationships to MS

Mugatu

Seems like a really good guy - sad that there's a lot of cynical people automatically assuming that just because he has a high level job that he is just saying what everyone wants to hear.

Seems like a decent guy. XB1 has an excellent lineup next year and this holiday. Just keep it coming and make a couple bets on games annually and the XB1 will do fine. I would say the XB1 is the console I'm most excited about but that could change.

Percy

Banned
Double Irony?

Every single time a Phil Spencer thread shows up, we get the "HE WAS IN THE BOARD ROOM TOO!" schtick. And to me, anyone who uses that line of reasoning, clearly has very little, if any idea what actually goes on in corporate business planning meetings. Like, literally. None.

Because if you did, you'd understand what it'd be like to disagree with leadership decisions but still continue to do your job because you hope that you can affect change in the future. Was Spencer supposed to quit? You think there were others at Xbox who might've have disagreed with the direction MS was originally going with the Xbox One? Should they have quit? I'm sure some did, but you don't just bail on something because you can't have your way with a project. They teach this stuff in basic leadership courses for crying out loud.

MS wasn't committing war crimes or human rights violations here, but you'd swear by some of the rhetoric some posters use that they were.

And you think that Sony's position with #4TheGamers isn't an "act"? Do you honestly believe businesses are your friends? Because corporations aren't real people, my "friend".

I'll avoid the obvious temptation to just post "triple irony?" here and just say that I think you're probably a tad too emotionally invested here.

jelly

Why do you think Phil Spencer would not have done the exact same thing as Mattrick. It's very easy for him to say they would have done something different since they now see the results of their poor choices.

Microsoft has always had a 3 screen strategy - mobile, tv & computer. The current xbox one was designed around that strategy. It is the reason they had to have 8 gigs of ram, which resulted in DDR3, which necessitated the embedded ram, which had the consequence of using DIE space taking away from a better GPU.

Kinect was a mistake, one which most likely pushed by Mattrick, but the home living room, multiple OS xbox one is what Microsoft wanted and what you would have received with Phil Spencer.

Yeah, this is pretty spot on. Even without Kinect, the Xbox One wasn't going to change. If Microsoft launched the following year, then it's possible a hardware change could have happened but what you have now is what Phil Spencer would have delivered, no doubts about it. Yes, the message might have been more game focused but under the hood, no change.

I'll avoid the obvious temptation to just post "triple irony?" here and just say that I think you're probably a tad too emotionally invested here.

Quadruple irony as these types of topics lure you like a fly to honey

You can't seriously be trying to compare (yet again) my post history to yours.

TheF1BOB

Banned
I like Spencer a lot. I forgot the interview, but it was sometime during E3 and he stated that he owned an XBox One, PS4, and Wii U. Said he's a gamer first, but loves the competition.

He got dealt a bad hand in dealing w/ the Xbox One PR nightmare, but he's turned the brand around at a fast rate.

well.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't see what's that great about him. It's not as if he hasn't made some shitty decisions during his time in charge of Xbone.

Seems like a really good guy - sad that there's a lot of cynical people automatically assuming that just because he has a high level job that he is just saying what everyone wants to hear.

To be completely honest, both are probably true.

As an exec, you toe the company line, unfavorable decisions you made (indie parity, IP ownership), etc. Most interviews with high-level execs have them being very careful with what they say. Some people frame it in a very professional manner(House/Mattrick), some in a jovial manner (Shu), and some in a more passionate manner (Phil), but behind their presentation... they all say the same things.

That doesn't somehow prevent Spencer from being a good guy. It's just that he's chosen to be less nice in some regards compared to other folk for the sake of business/company. It's the same on the other side of the court, really.

watership

Ive never seen people wearing campaign buttons in their avatar saying we believe in Yosp.

I don't know, the Kaz/Shu/Mark Cerny stuff seems far above the Spensor stuff. The Cerny bathtub shit along trumps anything I've seen.. outside of Gabe-love. The last time MS had a exec that was popular with fans was Allard.

iMax

I don't know, the Kaz/Shu/Mark Cerny stuff seems far above the Spensor stuff. The Cerny bathtub shit along trumps anything I've seen.. outside of Gabe-love. The last time MS had a exec that was popular with fans was Allard.

How did that meme even come about?

He certainly interviews well. However, several of the changes he has made don't really sit well with me. The parity clause, for one, and the continued wasting of money on timed exclusives (which adds absolutely no value to the console for anyone who already has one and damages the industry) both make me feel like he says some things and does others.

Yeah, it is always interesting listening to him.

lol at some point am worried people will start worshiping him

uh-huh.

Shu is just too good ^_^
Did Cerny reach god state yet? or he is still a demi-god?
Shu's one word PR is working as good as ever
humble as always Shu
We need Cerny in the mix listening to Kaz nice speech lacks Cerny soothing voice

sangreal

Why do you think Phil Spencer would not have done the exact same thing as Mattrick. It's very easy for him to say they would have done something different since they now see the results of their poor choices.

Which is why he didn't say that. You guys should really listen to the interview and not go off bullet points. Rough transcript:

Would you have pushed harder on the hardware?

I honestly don't know. I know the people that made those decisions and I don't know the reality of the situation when they made those decisions. It's easy for me to sit back now and say okay we would have built a 3TF box and sold it for $99 but I don't know -- I don't know what tradeoffs they were making. We didn't all make all decisions as a leadership team. I was making content decisions so I think it is a little unfair for me to go back and kind of cherry pick a certain decision about what kind of RAM do we pick or this eSRAM thing or the HDMI-In, or would I have done the Kinect. Oh, so I'm all knowing at this point so knowing what I know now I would have changed these decisions. I don't know​

jelly

Peter Moore was pretty likeable except his things break RROD.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It's true though. Throwing money at Eidos to delay the PS4 version of Tomb Raider and defending the parity clause are both fairly shitty.

And contrary to the claims of people on GAF (and MS's own claims at this year's E3) we haven't seen some sudden rush of game content on Xbone now that he's in charge. In fact Sony are securely ahead in that league.

So far I only see him having done the bare minimum necessary to placate people and rouse some interest in Xbone. What MS right now is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty, not just someone who 'isn't as bad as the last guy'.

Mugatu

As an exec, you toe the company line, unfavorable decisions you made (indie parity, IP ownership), etc. Most interviews with high-level execs have them being very careful with what they say. Some people frame it in a very professional manner(House/Mattrick), some in a jovial manner (Shu), and some in a more passionate manner (Phil), but behind their presentation... they all say the same things.

That doesn't somehow prevent Spencer from being a good guy. It's just that he's chosen to be less nice in some regards compared to other folk for the sake of business/company. It's the same on the other side of the court, really.

I see your point but I think there's just way too much cynicism here. Yes there is a unified message that needs to be said as with all companies and organizations bu that in no way minimizes each person's individuality, we just don't necessarily get to see it.

In the end, these are all individual human beings, as complex and idiosyncratic and you and I. The way some people are painting them with a simple brushstroke as nothing more than cardboard cutout suits is really disturbing.

omonimo

Banned

Yes it's a good guy BUT this good guy has worked secretly to buy exclusive for games initially announced multiplatform. He is good just if you buy his product.

I don't understand people. You lay the blame of every misstep at Mattrick's feet like he was some unstoppable dictator enforcing his every whim on the lowly serfs of the entire Xbox team. And you lay every success at Spencer's feet like he's the knight who beheaded the tyrannical ruler and took his throne, handing out puppies to his new subjects.

Spencer isn't some breath of fresh air that's completely untouched from the stink of his predecessor. He was there too. A lot of people are involved in every decision that's made. The Xbox team as a whole realized they needed to turn the ship around before it was too late. Spencer is every bit an executive and salesman that Mattrick was. His job's just easier because the message he has to sell isn't as offensive. He's not a not a nicer guy than Mattrick. He just got handed a better script.

jelly

He certainly interviews well. However, several of the changes he has made don't really sit well with me. The parity clause, for one, and the continued wasting of money on timed exclusives (which adds absolutely no value to the console for anyone who already has one and damages the industry) both make me feel like he says some things and does others.

Definitely not nice things but you understand why, they have nothing to go against Uncharted, buy Tomb Raider which is a scum tactic but his job demands it to sell more consoles. While doing that, they invest in new IP so they say. Doing his job two different ways, good and evil. I still don't get the parity release clause, all sorts of stupid.

It's true though. Throwing money at Eidos to delay the PS4 version of Tomb Raider and defending the parity clause are both fairly shitty.

And contrary to the claims of people on GAF (and MS's own claims at this year's E3) we haven't seen some sudden rush of game content on Xbone. In fact Sony are securely ahead in that league.

So far I only see him having done the bare minimum necessary to placate people and rouse some interest in Xbone. What MS right now is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty, not just someone who 'isn't as bad as the last guy'.

Parity is shit, but you have no idea what the deal was with Tomb Raider also its not like Phil Spencer put a gun to SEs head, they didn't have to sign that deal. If MS made an offer that was beneficial to both perhaps SE thought it was better for them in the long run.

How much do you expect to achieve in 6 months? MS have plenty of content coming, does someone really have to list it to show you?

Sydle

And contrary to the claims of people on GAF (and MS's own claims at this year's E3) we haven't seen some sudden rush of game content on Xbone. In fact Sony are securely ahead in that league.

What claims?

lmao I love it when these happen.

Wow, on one page we have a great detectiveGAF post, and then a few posts later we have this. If this were reddit, this would belong in shittydetectiveGAF. This post is bad, and you should feel bad. Telling someone to GTFO because they don't like Spencer in a thread that's all about whether we like or dislike Spencer... Do you know how forums work?

Watched him on the giantbomb e3 live show and really liked the guy. He talked praise about Nintendo even. Dudes not full of shit, you can tell he's trying to get the xbox brand back after matricks fuck up.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What claims?

MS's E3 conference was clearly an attempt to rebrand the Xbone as a 'games-first' machine, and yet I see no substantial change in its outlook. The same goes for the people on GAF who felt that Spencer would be a breath of fresh air (I hope that he would too).

Parity is shit, but you have no idea what the deal was with Tomb Raider also its not like Phil Spencer put a gun to SEs head, they didn't have to sign that deal. If MS made an offer that was beneficial to both perhaps SE thought it was better for them in the long run.

How much do you expect to achieve in 6 months? MS have plenty of content coming, does someone really have to list it to show you?

S-E obviously aren't required to sign a contract with MS, but I fail to see how that makes it 'their problem'. MS approached S-E and offered them money in exchange for a delay to the PS4 version of their game. It's shitty behaviour that has no sum effect but punishing people with the good sense not to buy into MS's ecosystem.

And again, 'oh it's only been six months'. Xbox has been an entity in the gaming world for over a decade. You should not be defending the piss-poor state of MS's game development. It's indefensible.

Top Bottom