• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prince of Persia - Two Thrones HD

DryvBy

I've played a few Prince of Persia games in the past, as in the original PC version when it was a side scrolling game with cool animations for it's time. And then I played the 2008 game and loved it. I decided to buy the HD remasters on PS3 recently and try them out. Instead of starting with the Sands of Time, I jumped right into Two Thrones. What a mess of a game.

I'm usually okay with playing games from several generations before, even games I don't have nostalgia for. But this game is really rough, and about all of that is due to the dreadful combat. Every time I have to fight a basic enemy, I notice the combat doesn't flow and doesn't have a functional hitbox mechanic at all. I've been hit by a sword swing clear across the room. The combat feels like it relies on a dice roll rather than actual hit boxes. Blocking is a mess and never feels like I'm able to counter anything due to the poor animations and inconsistent attacks from enemies. And when you actually attack, it manages to be at the quality level of 2001 Runescape.

The puzzles are far and few between. Most of it's just running puzzles and hoping your guy doesn't glitch through the wall during a turn like I've had happen a couple of times. But when you do manage to get to a puzzle room, they even made that a chore. There's a puzzle where you have to smash a giant statue through a wall to proceed. You use a lever to turn and push forward/backward the statue. Because of the awful camera angle, you can't see if that statue is turning into a wall or not. And to make adjustments, you have to spend a minute traveling between each lever.

Story is pretty basic and nothing to write home about. Graphics are somehow uglier than the original game from what I've looked up. Audio is generic as they come. It's truly an awful game and one of the worst AAA games I've played.

If I had to give this game a rating, it would be a 3 scimitar out of 10.

chemicals

Sands Of Time is the only 3D Prince of Persia game that matters. And yes I have played Pop2008 and Forgotten Sands. Both of those are good games, but not up to the level of goodness that Sands Of Time hits throughout the whole damned game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried Two Thrones on PC and it was rough. It surely didn't age well. It was moving the character and the level design that drove me mad.

I've only really enjoyed myself with Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and 2008's Prince of Persia. Sands of Time has some great mechanics to it.
I have Forgotten Sands, but I haven't tried it yet. Two Thrones was always the game I thought would be good just because of how it looked. Oh well..

I have the original on iOS if I ever want my fix.
Edit: Ubisoft took down the Classic version from the App Store. You can still download it if you bought it. But that sucks. The controls for that weren't exactly good either.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

you are right about the combat, but even so i liked the game, although i played the game a very long time ago, so can´t remember well already

ehead

You messed up by skipping the first game - I’d suggest playing it after Two Thrones, it might help wash the bad experience you had with TT. I played this series in order; first one was great, second was a disappointment but playable nonetheless, third game is okay, and fourth was better than the last two.

Also, this thread reminded me that I remember a lot more of the stuff in PoP 2008 than the rest of the 3D PoP games I’ve played.

rmatheso

Two Thrones had the best combat, although traversing the past and present worlds got confusing at times.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
First I ever heard anyone say TTT is bad, most don't like TWW..interesting.

DryvBy

Two Thrones had the best combat, although traversing the past and present worlds got confusing at times.

Eh, you might want to go play it again unless the non-HD versions had better combat. There's 0 hit detection and inconsistent hits during animation sequences.

Such a shame how they killed this franchise after the excellent first one with all the unnecessary crap they shoved in.

#damnshamewhattheydidtothatdog

v1oz

I liked all the 3D POP games. They’re like a guilty pleasure. The best ones are Sands of Time, Forgotten Sands and Two Thrones. They’re seriously under rated!

Valdega

From a gameplay standpoint, Warrior Within is the best of the trilogy. Best combat and level design, bar none. The grimdark, edgy aesthetic was dumb but once you got over that, the underlying gameplay was top notch. I actually enjoyed PoP 2008 quite a bit too, though they simplified the gameplay too much. The world and characters were great. I'd love to see more of that with the mechanics and level design of Warrior Within.

Filben

Story is a nice finish of the trilogy and the style of narration comes closer to Sand of Time and definitely beats Warrior Within, in which I didn't like all the back tracking through different time periods. Combat wise there are one or two moves missing in T2T over Warrior Within.

Bear in mind that the audio quality in the PS3 HD version is a complete mess with all the reverb. Sands of Time's storytelling was outstanding, but the gameplay, compared to WW, wasn't that refined. I like all three games, each for unique reasons the other ones don't offer.

I wish PoP 2008 had more variety in the gameplay department... it just gets boring after a while. Voice acting, and visuals were so great.

Top Bottom