• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP : Resident Evil 2 Remake

KiteGr

I've finally bought this about a week ago and after a few days, I'm near the end 2nd run.

I mostly love the improvements and changes! This is a fantastic game through and through!
I could go on prizing the game's strengths, but almost every review out there already did that, so I'll skip that part and play the Devil's advocate by going for the weaknesses.

And my biggest gripe with the new RE2, is that, while it's still a very good game it isn't as good of a remake as the REmake! THERE!... I said it! And allow me to explain why!
What makes the perfect remake or remaster? It has to make the original version obsolete, and I believe REmake2 doesn't do that!
The first REmake kept everything the original had, included different cut-scenes depending on your small choices, added new stuff, stayed faithful to the original and cranked the quality up to 11.
REmake 2 feels like it only removed stuff... and rather than fixing certain issues with the original, it made them bigger. And the biggest culprit here is the 2nd run playthrough.... OMG they Didn't do that justice!

In the original, playing scenario B felt completely different (spoiler alert):
  • For starters, all the bosses you were fighting in scenario B where new. MrX appeared only there from the get-go, making it clear that that this version will be very different. Then instead of the G-spawn you where fighting Burgin in completely mutation stages. Finally the final bosses were different, both of them.
In REmake 2 they picked and choosed from the 2 scenarios the most iconic bosses, blew all their loads on the first playthrough, and besides the final boss for each character, all others where identical.​
  • Then you had the changes associated with the other character. In the original, while solving the same puzzles Leon and Claire where gathering different key items to progress through the game, meeting different people and generally having their own story. This was a point the Original also suffered, as the you can only solve the library puzzle so many times before it becomes monotonous.
In REmake 2, they fixed the puzzle aspect making them a bit harder on the 2nd run, but broke the unique item aspects. In both runs you still gather the same damn fuzes and gizmos for the same damn puzzles! At least they kept the exclusive areas for each character, such as the alternative entrance to the sewers, but for the most parts, like the Original the changes were minor in gameplay. Also they kind of cheated, making certain interactions like with Kendo and the Crocodile exclusive to Leon so they wouldn't had to redo the cutscenes.​
  • Finally you had the interactions between the characters. Leon and Clair had a good number of interactions between their playthroughs. Interactions that changed depending on the scenario they where playing at to keep "consistency". And that's the magic word! Stuff one character did in scenario A matered to the other character! In scenario B you where often left in peril and had to take extra steps because of the actions of the other character! You had to call back the elevator and deal with Mr X in order to get to the nest. The Elevator stops from overheating before reaching the nest, so you have to get off early and start again from another entry point. Near the end of scenario B, it is the second character who'll have to take Sherry to the train and start it because the other is fighting the 4 feet Burgin boss. The fact that clair had to get different key items to escape the police station emphasized that!
In REmake 2 there are nearly no interactions between the two characters, besides a single one at the back door of the police station, and one near the end where they are like "WTF are YOU doing here!". It felt like they started with the best intentions early on, having a different cutscene play with Marvin with each character in the first run, having the cutscene at the mentioned door play differently depending on who's on what side, and at least on the 2nd run the other characters starts from another location, changing things up a bunch.... but after that, all the differences besides the extra final boss are lazy, such as enemy placements and certain weapon related items swapping places. They said, "Do we have to make all these cutscenes where the two characters talk to each other, and then make them twice for each run? Screw that! Lets just have them leave notes!" and "Do we have to design an area differently just because a character already passed? Screw that! Let them play again the same thing all over again!"

There are other smaller gripes like the absence of spiders and crows, the headshots being disabled, the game being to dark and the absence of a certain Elevator area that made cameos in other games, but it's biggest failure is how poorly they treated the 2nd run. Rather than fixing the few inconsistencies the original game had, they created even more, making both playthroughs nearly identical.
And that's why, despite being a good game, REmake2 is not yet ready to replace RE2!

Astral Dog

I cant complain much because its a REmake, but is it me or every boss in this game mutated Birkin? (except one i think).i dont like that!

part od the appeal in playing a RE game is seeing the new characters, files and especially, monsters, so i wasn't that excited for this obe and yeah they didn't do that 2nd playthrough justice, but considering its built on REngine, it has more content than RE7 for example.

But still, fantastic game and modernization of the classic formula

Three

I've finally bought this about a week ago and after a few days, I'm near the end 2nd run.

I mostly love the improvements and changes! This is a fantastic game through and through!
I could go on prizing the game's strengths, but almost every review out there already did that, so I'll skip that part and play the Devil's advocate by going for the weaknesses.

And my biggest gripe with the new RE2, is that, while it's still a very good game it isn't as good of a remake as the REmake! THERE!... I said it! And allow me to explain why!
What makes the perfect remake or remaster? It has to make the original version obsolete, and I believe REmake2 doesn't do that!
The first REmake kept everything the original had, included different cut-scenes depending on your small choices, added new stuff, stayed faithful to the original and cranked the quality up to 11.
REmake 2 feels like it only removed stuff... and rather than fixing certain issues with the original, it made them bigger. And the biggest culprit here is the 2nd run playthrough.... OMG they Didn't do that justice!

In the original, playing scenario B felt completely different (spoiler alert):
  • For starters, all the bosses you were fighting in scenario B where new. MrX appeared only there from the get-go, making it clear that that this version will be very different. Then instead of the G-spawn you where fighting Burgin in completely mutation stages. Finally the final bosses were different, both of them.
In REmake 2 they picked and choosed from the 2 scenarios the most iconic bosses, blew all their loads on the first playthrough, and besides the final boss for each character, all others where identical.​

• Then you had the changes associated with the other character. In the original, while solving the same puzzles Leon and Claire where gathering different key items to progress through the game, meeting different people and generally having their own story. This was a point the Original also suffered, as the you can only solve the library puzzle so many times before it becomes monotonous.
In REmake 2, they fixed the puzzle aspect making them a bit harder on the 2nd run, but broke the unique item aspects. In both runs you still gather the same damn fuzes and gizmos for the same damn puzzles! At least they kept the exclusive areas for each character, such as the alternative entrance to the sewers, but for the most parts, like the Original the changes were minor in gameplay. Also they kind of cheated, making certain interactions like with Kendo and the Crocodile exclusive to Leon so they wouldn't had to redo the cutscenes.​

• Finally you had the interactions between the characters. Leon and Clair had a good number of interactions between their playthroughs. Interactions that changed depending on the scenario they where playing at to keep "consistency". And that's the magic word! Stuff one character did in scenario A matered to the other character! In scenario B you where often left in peril and had to take extra steps because of the actions of the other character! You had to call back the elevator and deal with Mr X in order to get to the nest. The Elevator stops from overheating before reaching the nest, so you have to get off early and start again from another entry point. Near the end of scenario B, it is the second character who'll have to take Sherry to the train and start it because the other is fighting the 4 feet Burgin boss. The fact that clair had to get different key items to escape the police station emphasized that!
In REmake 2 there are nearly no interactions between the two characters, besides a single one at the back door of the police station, and one near the end where they are like "WTF are YOU doing here!". It felt like they started with the best intentions early on, having a different cutscene play with Marvin with each character in the first run, having the cutscene at the mentioned door play differently depending on who's on what side, and at least on the 2nd run the other characters starts from another location, changing things up a bunch.... but after that, all the differences besides the extra final boss are lazy, such as enemy placements and certain weapon related items swapping places. They said, "Do we have to make all these cutscenes where the two characters talk to each other, and then make them twice for each run? Screw that! Lets just have them leave notes!" and "Do we have to design an area differently just because a character already passed? Screw that! Let them play again the same thing all over again!"

There are other smaller gripes like the absence of spiders and crows, the headshots being disabled, the game being to dark and the absence of a certain Elevator area that made cameos in other games, but it's biggest failure is how poorly they treated the 2nd run. Rather than fixing the few inconsistencies the original game had, they created even more, making both playthroughs nearly identical.
And that's why, despite being a good game, REmake2 is not yet ready to replace RE2!
REmake2 was awesome but I can't argue with any of your points I agree with most of them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
despite being a good game, REmake2 is not yet ready to replace RE2!
Maybe thats was never their goal, I'm pretty sure its going to be same thing with FFVIIR, that game also going to be very different than original FFVII to replace it.

GrayFoxPL

OP hits on good points and yeah I love the original way, way more than remake, which is good as it's own thing. Doesn't replace original in any way though.

I face palmed when I saw that they made it that item combination in inventory is outright highlighted for mini puzzles so complete imbeciles wont have to think even for a second.

Capcom had high regard for players intelligence in Remake 2.

KiteGr

IMO it's a shame they gave so little attention on how the campaigns of the two characters interact.

In the original they even bothered to change the FMV so the car crashes differently to justify each character's route.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

In the remake, the car also changes direction when crashing depending on the first character, but there is no point, as that low poly area at the entrance is the only new area you are going to see on the second run until the end, and the second character skip directly to that place! Goes to show how little effort they've put on scenario B.

Neff

It's not as good as the original, nor is it as comprehensive and lovingly respectful a remake like REmake is.

But it is damned good, and sufficiently fresh/inventive enough to be more than worth the wait. I loved it.

Fantastic game, but they completely botched the different scenarios. I was also annoyed that T-103 didn't have the scene where Ada fucking unloads into his face and gets knocked into a vat of lava. Instead some debris drops ontop of him.

I cant complain much because its a REmake, but is it me or every boss in this game mutated Birkin? (except one i think).i dont like that!

part od the appeal in playing a RE game is seeing the new characters, files and especially, monsters, so i wasn't that excited for this obe and yeah they didn't do that 2nd playthrough justice, but considering its built on REngine, it has more content than RE7 for example.

But still, fantastic game and modernization of the classic formula
Yeah, they changed the first boss from the original game into a generic enemy, then used it to replace spiders, so now in Claire's campaign you fight nothing but Birkin as a boss and in Leon's Mr. X replaces the 4th version of Birkin as a final boss. Final boss Dog Birkin also got axed for eyeballs everywhere Birkin.

I'd go a step further and say that not only does the remake not replace the original...but that the original is just outright better. Mr. X should have been left to the B scenario only. Adding him to the A takes away one of the things that made the B really stand out. As it is the "2nd run" is an insulting inclusion that only serves to lower my opinion of the game. If they were going to so blatently half-ass it they should have simply omitted it entirely. There's also very little music unless you use the classic soundtrack.

KiteGr

The remake was a huge letdown. I will forever be pissed off that they didn't do it in the style of the RE1 remake.
I was actually more open to the changes in gameplay. I didn't expect a game with still backgrounds and tank controls to work or sell as well today. Making the zombies imune to headshot damage besides the chance to crit was IMO a bit to much, (if they where to take 5% additional damage on the head, to make them mater it would be ok), but I still welcome the extra threat, horror and strategy that comes with it. If the game was a single playthrough it would be excellent...
But everyone knows that RE2 has to be played twice! And the 2nd run is where they've goten really lazy. While in the original, the small changes, the new bosses, the new areas, the new entry points through those areas, the new ending and the character specific differences made the Scenario B feel very different. In the remake, besides the beginning, the ending, and some gameplay tweaks, your first and second run playthroughs are nearly identical. If it wasn't for the extra final boss I would had easily tell a new player to skip it, and restart the 1rst run with the other character instead.

Virex

Banned
I was in the process of just starting RE2 R but Disco Elysium just came out so I'll be busy with that. But looking forward to playing RE2 R and getting the platinum.

GymWolf

It's a great remake but for a reason or another i still prefer the original game by far.

Re rebirth is the better remake imho.

Neff

Mr. X should have been left to the B scenario only.

I strongly agree.

the 2nd run is where they've goten really lazy.

I would happily pay the game's asking price again for significantly beefier B scenarios with remixed items, new locales, and more unique content. It's starts well but then you soon realise it's basically the same game with a few slight changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom