• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Riven: The Sequel to Myst

woxel1 said:
Ha, I have a Riven desktop on right now. I'm liking this thread so far, so let's play a game of--

In Riven did you...

Spot the Temple Scribe on Survey Island??
Release
Ghen
in the Rebel Age?
Uncover all the "Spyder" easter egg hot spots?
Irritate the Wahrk in the aquarium?
Use the door knocker in the village five times?
See Ghen's hologram in the temple, or the girl in the jungle?

Also, everybody check out http://www.starryexpanse.com/

Yes the girl scared the shit out of me every time it happened. Godamnit. :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
faceless007 said:
I'll confess I consulted a walkthrough at a couple points but mainly because of switches or doors I was missing (the switch to open the big fish totem's mouth in the jungle is totally inconspicuous). I did solve the bulk of the puzzles as you say: observation, deduction, analyzing everything's purpose. I'll never forget the feeling when I first got to Map Island, and turned on the Map: I knew exactly what it was and what it represented, and what I was supposed to do with it. For lack of a better word, it just made sense. More than anything else, Riven made feel like an anthropologist, trying to piece together how a people operated and made use of their habitat from afar, and what other forces (Gehn) shaped them.

I don't think I ever even found that switch. I actually got into the idol from another island's maglev and came up the elevator and opened it from inside. I thought that's how you were supposed to do it. :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
I played Riven back when that was the hot new shit. You know when 640 resolution wasnt an abysmal and low res situation.

Anyway, that game is actually pretty incredible. I mean, it is the most hardcore "art" game you can think of and it was a blockbuster release.

I think they got away with it cause it was pushing amazing new technology and visuals back in the day. The next generation of interactive experiences and all that. Even the music was amazing and atmospheric.

I also thoroughly enjoyed both Myst 3 and Myst 4. Myst 5 not so much. I like the pre-rendered adventure game types.

ilikeme

SO HOT!!! FAP FAP FAP!!!

i haven t'' played through the whole game only got a ways through but I

LOVET IITT

<3< <3 <3 <3<3<3 <3

Myst rocks though. ! Fuck. Need to REPLAY

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
~Kinggi~ said:
I played Riven back when that was the hot new shit. You know when 640 resolution wasnt an abysmal and low res situation.

Anyway, that game is actually pretty incredible. I mean, it is the most hardcore "art" game you can think of and it was a blockbuster release.

I think they got away with it cause it was pushing amazing new technology and visuals back in the day. The next generation of interactive experiences and all that. Even the music was amazing and atmospheric.

I also thoroughly enjoyed both Myst 3 and Myst 4. Myst 5 not so much. I like the pre-rendered adventure game types.
Yeah playing it at first release was ridiculous. Blew my young mind even more then Myst. And I seem to be in the minority for enjoying Exile most of all.

Also laaaame realMyst has massive graphical issues on Win 7 on Steam. Any advice or do I need to make an XP partiton?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah playing it at first release was ridiculous. Blew my young mind even more then Myst. And I seem to be in the minority for enjoying Exile most of all.

Also laaaame realMyst has massive graphical issues on Win 7 on Steam. Any advice or do I need to make an XP partiton?

I got it working on the same XP virtual machine I ran Riven in. VMware has experimental D3D support and works well enough for RM, even if it is a little slow sometimes.

And yeah, liking Exile more than Riven...you're weird. It's not...wrong or anything. It's just weird.

Weeeeird.

Guevara

Played the hell out of this game when it was released. It seemed so advanced compared to Myst :lol . I would kill for a modern game along these lines, maybe with the world design of Uncharted (minus the combat) as the graphics would be advanced enough to hide secret levers and switches.

After reading this thread I bought it last night on GOG for $6.00, didn't play very much yet but pretty excited to try to get through it without using a guide (I'll probably get frustrated and use one sparingly).

vid

This topic has got me in the mood to replay Myst and Riven as well as read through the novels again... can anyone give me a heads up on how well the Steam releases work? Particularly in regards to Windows 7?

Last I heard, it seemed like realMYST and Riven weren't playing videos correctly, but that might have just been bad luck for a few people.

vid said:
This topic has got me in the mood to replay Myst and Riven as well as read through the novels again... can anyone give me a heads up on how well the Steam releases work? Particularly in regards to Windows 7?

Last I heard, it seemed like realMYST and Riven weren't playing videos correctly, but that might have just been bad luck for a few people.

I'd like to know this, too. I run Win7 64 bit and I was holding off on steam releases until I read it works. Don't feel like paying for vmware either.

Lionheart1827 said:
I'd like to know this, too. I run Win7 64 bit and I was holding off on steam releases until I read it works. Don't feel like paying for vmware either.

I'm running Win7 64 bit on my laptop and I bought Riven on Good Old Games (if your interested in buying it that way) and it seems to run fine, granted I only played for a little while last night.

the nightman cometh said:
I'm running Win7 64 bit on my laptop and I bought Riven on Good Old Games (if your interested in buying it that way) and it seems to run fine, granted I only played for a little while last night.

Does it play in tiny 640x480 resolution?

vid

the nightman cometh said:

Yeah, I've heard that all of the GOG releases work just fine under Win 7, but I'd prefer to pick up the Steam releases if possible. If not, then I'll probably just suck it up and go with the GOG option.

Derp. Everytime I type GOG in a topic related to Myst or Uru it messes with my head a bit, since in the context of the game world "GOG" is commonly used to refer to a group called the Guild of Greeters.

Supposedly, according to the GOG forums, their release of Riven is missing some minor animations from the original game. Just a few button-pressing animations, nothing major, but be aware of that.

Inkwell

Banned
I've really been wanting to purchase the Cyan pack on Steam, but now I'm a little worried about doing it. Supposedly there's a fix on the Steam forums here that should help with some of the issues. Apparently Riven has issues running on multi-core processors, so you have to set the game to use a single core.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
RE: RealMYST on Windows 7.

I just bought it off of Steam (thanks mostly to this topic...), and I got it to work following instructions from here:

http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/lofiversion/index.php/t34162.html

1. Open realMYSTSetup in realMyst's main folder.
2. Select a Direct3D "3D Hardware" that does not use T&L; only "[Direct3D HAL]".

I've walked around most of the island and did a couple of puzzles in the library/tower so far with no issues (W7 Ultimate x64 + quad core).

ExMachina said:
RE: RealMYST on Windows 7.

I just bought it off of Steam (thanks mostly to this topic...), and I got it to work following instructions from here:

http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/lofiversion/index.php/t34162.html

1. Open realMYSTSetup in realMyst's main folder.
2. Select a Direct3D "3D Hardware" that does not use T&L; only "[Direct3D HAL]".

I've walked around most of the island and did a couple of puzzles in the library/tower so far with no issues (W7 Ultimate x64 + quad core).

Alright cool I think ill check it out when I get home since I also have a quad and Win7 64bit. Thanks. Let me know if you end up getting riven and trying it out.

Excited to jump back in since the puzzles are probably forgotten to me by now.

Has anybody gotten Exile to work on Win7 64bit machines? I still have my collectors edition but I have yet to try it on my new machine.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Lionheart1827 said:

VMware player is the free version. 'Twas what I used.

Lionheart1827 said:
Has anybody gotten Exile to work on Win7 64bit machines? I still have my collectors edition but I have yet to try it on my new machine.

Exile worked fine for me on win7 64. The only post-Riven Myst that I had trouble installing is 5 because of the copy protection. You need to download something called mystvinitfiles.zip to get it working.

PolishQ

The Technomancer

Guevara said:
Played the hell out of this game when it was released. It seemed so advanced compared to Myst :lol . I would kill for a modern game along these lines, maybe with the world design of Uncharted (minus the combat) as the graphics would be advanced enough to hide secret levers and switches.
This has always really bugged me. There are other adventure games out there with nice graphics or artistic design (alhough I still consider the Myst series tops) but why the hell does every other adventure game made rely on asinine inventory puzzles? The puzzles in the series are always top notch because its always you making use of your observations and your wits and trying to figure out some device or something. I hate inventory puzzles.

luka said:
VMware player is the free version. 'Twas what I used.

Exile worked fine for me on win7 64. The only post-Riven Myst that I had trouble installing is 5 because of the copy protection. You need to download something called mystvinitfiles.zip to get it working.

Oh shit son. Can you provide me with a link to the free vmware player that you use?

As for exile looks like I'm gonna have a busy vacation coming up. :lol

Thanks.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Lionheart1827 said:
Oh shit son. Can you provide me with a link to the free vmware player that you use?

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_player/3_0

The only problem with virtual machines is that they generally don't scale low resolution displays, meaning you'll have to lower your host desktop resolution to 640x480 in order to play it fullscreen.

Also locate the preferences.ini file once you've got it set up (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\VMware in win7) and add the line

pref.vmplayer.fullscreen.nobar = "TRUE"

to get rid of the annoying fullscreen toolbar. The program basically installs windows xp and sets up all video and sound drivers by itself. Make sure to tell it to install vmware tools once you're in the XP desktop too. Have fun. :D

luka said:
http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_player/3_0

The only problem with virtual machines is that they generally don't scale low resolution displays, meaning you'll have to lower your host desktop resolution to 640x480 in order to play it fullscreen.

Also locate the preferences.ini file once you've got it set up (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\VMware in win7) and add the line

pref.vmplayer.fullscreen.nobar = "TRUE"

to get rid of the annoying fullscreen toolbar. The program basically installs windows xp and sets up all video and sound drivers by itself. Make sure to tell it to install vmware tools once you're in the XP desktop too. Have fun. :D

Ah man thanks, certainly helpful!

I bought realMyst last night through steam and it works awesome. I ended up getting addicted and played 4 hours straight. So much nostalgia, it felt like I was in the 90s again. The game is still creepy as ever. I was amazed how they managed to recreate the entire game that way, and even all the correct sounds and music played. It took me like 20 minutes to figure out the stupid clocktower gear puzzle and whenever I play this game I forget about the "secret" to solving it. I felt like such an idiot :lol. Anybody know how to up the resolution higher in it?

I'm probably gonna give Riven a try when I finish realMyst. Ill let you guys know how it works out on my setup. If I have issues Ill go the vmware player route. I'd use my original 5cd set of riven but hell if I'm gonna be assed to swap discs everytime I went to a new location! :lol

Thanks for getting me back into Myst.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heh, I did a quick runthrough of Myst for the first time in like 15 years before I started on Riven, and I was surprised how stupidly easy the puzzles actually were (I might not have forgotten as much as I thought I did). The rocket puzzle for the selenitic age stumped me for days, and here I did it in about 2 minutes by ear. Same with the stoneship compass puzzle. It's so hilariously obvious that I wonder how I ever had difficulty with it. :p

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I played the first three Myst games this past summer and I was most impressed by Riven. They're all good games, but the world of Riven was infinitely more appealing to me than any of the ages in the other games. You spend so much time wandering around all the areas that you really get to know a lot about the culture and history of these islands. The moment when you discover the purpose of a puzzle and how it relates to the world itself is truly magical. The game is difficult to figure out in some places, but if you spend enough time with the world certain things will become more and more obvious. I only had to use a walkthrough to find a door behind a door to get to Gehn's laboratory. That was very well hidden.

Perhaps what I liked most about the Myst games is how mature and believable they are. There's very little videogame logic - They treated me like an actual intelligent being. I can't think of many games where I've felt that.

Well I broke down and got myst for the iPhone. It is just as frustratingly difficult as I remember but once I figured out how to use the lighthouse, it got MUCH easier.

Got realMyst (don't use T&L) and Riven working on Windows 7 (Use Windows XP SP3 compatibility). I haven't played through Exile, but it's been so long since I've played the first two games that I think I'll go through those again.

The Technomancer

Found the tenth anniversary edition three-DVD set of the first three games at BestBuy today for twenty bucks. I'd feel a little dissapointed that I spent the money on Steam if i hadn't bought the Cyan complete pack, so I get to check out some of their earlier stuff and putter around in Uru. But hopefully these mean that I'll be able to play my three favorite adventure games with little hassle.

(I do want to find my original Exile and Rivne discs though, just to have them)

BooJoh

Well I've been itching for an adventure game, and after seeing this topic I grabbed realMyst and Riven on Steam. Myst was much easier than I remember, I managed to get through it without an FAQ until the very end (literally, I checked an FAQ because I wasn't sure if I was done with the game or not. :lol I was)

It was actually just what I was looking for. I love adventure games, but I'm put off by suffering horrible deaths every time I click in the wrong place, or even worse: random/realtime encounters (see: King's Quest witch, KQ3 wizard, SQ1 probe droid, etc.)

Haven't started on Riven yet.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
BooJoh said:
Haven't started on Riven yet.

Go go go go!

I'm glad this topic got people to give the game a shot. It's shocking how rarely you see it mentioned when people discuss classic adventure games, especially considering it's past hype and overall sales. At most it's just thrown under the Myst blanket and largely ignored when people talk about it in the company of Monkey Island, TLJ, King's Quest and Grim Fandango. Pearls before swine. :p

chiQ

I wouldn't class the Cyan games with the Lucasarts (or other) adventure games. They're really in a class of their own, in terms of the game-play and timelessness :)

I have never managed to finish any of them, but my husband has finished both Myst and Riven, and still has his original (many, many, many disc) copies. I've just bought Myst for iPhone, because I don't think I will put in the time otherwise, and it is something I want to put time into. I have also dug out a small papery thing and a pen...

Zing

Banned
I found my original manual and notebook for Myst. Yes, the game originally provided a book for you to write notes in! Crazy, but cool.

The Technomancer

Zing said:
I found my original manual and notebook for Myst. Yes, the game originally provided a book for you to write notes in! Crazy, but cool.
Oh man, I still have that. Well, its more filled with my mom's scrawls then mine, but we've got a million diagrams and maps in there.

totowhoa

Banned
Daaamn I miss this game so much! I spent some time trying to find a patch for my mac a long time ago but never got it working. Need to look into that again for this and myst 3--I'm sure there's one for my version of tiger. This game is so classic... I really want my fiance to have a chance to play it. Still have it all packaged up nice and neat

I REALLY enjoyed Riven, heck I liked all of the Myst games.

Not to detract from this Riven thread (as more people should play it especially for $5) but if you DID play Riven and are looking for more of that, I personally had a lot of fun with Schizm: Mysterious Journey. It's not Riven-level of polish but it was pretty good. The only downside is some of the puzzles are REALLY tough, I had to resort to walkthroughs.... but that could also just be my feeble brain :D

Inkwell

Banned
Oracle Dragon said:
I REALLY enjoyed Riven, heck I liked all of the Myst games.

Not to detract from this Riven thread (as more people should play it especially for $5) but if you DID play Riven and are looking for more of that, I personally had a lot of fun with Schizm: Mysterious Journey. It's not Riven-level of polish but it was pretty good. The only downside is some of the puzzles are REALLY tough, I had to resort to walkthroughs.... but that could also just be my feeble brain :D
I've always wanted to play the Schizm games. If they're ever available at GOG or Steam I'll pick them up for sure. I remember playing the demo for the 2nd game, and they already had a puzzle where you had to figure out some number system. I think it was a base 4 number system or something like that. I mean, this was the demo. I'm actually a little scared of what the rest of the game would be like.

Zing

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Oh man, I still have that. Well, its more filled with my mom's scrawls then mine, but we've got a million diagrams and maps in there.

Yes, mine still has plenty of drawings and notes written in it from when I first played the game.

I remember getting stuck at some point in the game. I was stuck for like a week. I was at a store that has some sort of Myst hint book, so I snuck a peek and was able to find the answer.

chiQ

I'd just like to say, for the record, that Myst for iPhone is fantastic.

It's ideally suited to touch screen gaming, if a little fiddly on an iPhone. I wasn't well over the weekend, so I was couch-potato with Myst for hours. My little notebook is a mass of scribbles. If they can get this out for iPad it will be perfection, as it will eliminated the tiny fingers factor.

I wonder if Riven could be sufficiently compacted to be released as an app...

Wiktor

Riven is to me the very best game ever made. I was a complete n00b when it comes to adventure games in early 1998, but I swore not to use any hints or walkthroughs. When I got hopelessly stuck I just did a few days break from the game. I finished the game after 4 months and with a notebook densely filled with notes, sketches and impressions. No game before or after has ever made me feel so immersed. It was like the world on the other side of the screen was real

And solving the D'ni numerical system puzzle was the most satysfying thing I've ever achieved in a game.

The Technomancer

Why did this genre die out? Sure, Telltale revived the "3rd person inventory puzzle" side of adventure games, but where are the "first person environmental puzzle" adventures?

(I hate inventory puzzles.)

Wiktor

The_Technomancer said:
Why did this genre die out? Sure, Telltale revived the "3rd person inventory puzzle" side of adventure games, but where are the "first person environmental puzzle" adventures?

(I hate inventory puzzles.)
They shifted to being primarly horror games. There is a lot of Myst-like horror titles being released nowadays.
Aside from them only Kheops makes such titles anymore I think, at least good ones.

Still...serious lol at Telltale being the one to revive traditional adventure games

Top Bottom