• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Riven: The Sequel to Myst

Wiktor

dark10x said:
They made them popular again.
No, they didn't. The main market for those games nowadays is Europe and there german publishers pushed the genre into spotlight again. Telltale had their part, but to claim their somehow saved the genre is completely untrue.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Exactly; over here, you see PC adventures at the big retailers, with their own section and all. It's still a market, and probably will continue to be a market. Telltale revived the adventure in the US, I think.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Playing Amnesia kind of feels to me like how Riven would play if it were made today, games like it and Penumbra sort of being the genetic remnant of the largely dead first person adventure genre. Someone needs to take the framework and run with it, focusing on worldbuilding and puzzles over horror. I mean, if a 5-man team can make Amnesia, imagine what a 20-man team could do.

Funny how this thread just came up again today. I just completed Myst again today and bought Riven off steam, gonna get started as soon as I get a chance.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bumping because this was the most recent Myst nostalgia thread, and this didn't seem deserving of its own thread. Still, :lol

1032944192_xu2RP-L.jpg

Najaf

The_Technomancer said:
Bumping because this was the most recent Myst nostalgia thread, and this didn't seem deserving of its own thread. Still, :lol

1032944192_xu2RP-L.jpg

:lol

In all seriousness though, The Book of Ti'ana is what the script is being based on and it has a great story.

The Technomancer

Najaf said:

In all seriousness though, The Book of Ti'ana is what the script is being based on and it has a great story.
I really need to buy my own copies of those books. They were pretty good, and took place ina universe that I adore.

Hm, book of Ti'ana? Not the one I would have picked, I would have gone with the book of Atrus, but that's just me.

Inkwell

Banned
Najaf said:

Yeah. It seems like the majority of the people who wrote those news articles recently didn't really grasp the idea that the film is based on that novel. In fact, I don't think they understand that Myst island will have no part in the story.

The Technomancer

Inkwell said:
Yeah. It seems like the majority of the people who wrote those news articles recently didn't really grasp the idea that the film is based on that novel. In fact, I don't think they understand that Myst island will have no part in the story.
Actually, do we think that the Myst movie is worth its own thread? And if so, gaming or the OT?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The_Technomancer said:

1032944192_xu2RP-L.jpg

I was just going through the last few weeks of PA that I missed and caught this. Figured it'd be posted here already. Oh well. When PA is on the ball they're on the ball. :lol

I'd watch it if there was enough of Cyan's gorgeous art design to accompany watching a dude tinker with abstract machinery.

Let me in

Wow, I just replayed Myst and this. Remember they used to really creep me out and for some reason they seem a lot simpler than they did a while back. Always loved the feeling of solitude these games provided.

Ledsen

I remember reading the 5/5 review of this in Swedish High Score magazine when I was a kid. I had played Myst on my dad's Macintosh, and completely fallen in love with the weird setting and wondrous atmosphere. Being a kid, I never made it past wandering around the beautiful locales. Riven looked awesome, but I only played console games back then. Now, thanks to this thread, I've finally decided to play it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ledsen said:
I remember reading the 5/5 review of this in Swedish High Score magazine when I was a kid. It looked awesome, but I only played console games back then. Now, thanks to this thread, I've finally decided to play it.
But it was available on Playstation!

Hawk SE

Great write-up, wish we could have seen the original.

I LOVE the Myst series. I have spent so much time on Myst and RIVEN. I have played through Myst III and part of Myst IV. I have yet to play (or find) Myst V: End of Ages.

I have re-bought the games through GOG.com - just hoping they get the rest of the series on there.

Najaf

Ledsen said:
I remember reading the 5/5 review of this in Swedish High Score magazine when I was a kid. I had played Myst on my dad's Macintosh, and completely fallen in love with the weird setting and wondrous atmosphere. Being a kid, I never made it past wandering around the beautiful locales. Riven looked awesome, but I only played console games back then. Now, thanks to this thread, I've finally decided to play it.

Riven is amazing, but know going into it that it is pretty tough. Don't give in when you get stuck and seek out guides. The satisfaction of completing these puzzles is hard to describe, and it is worth every minute leading up to it. Hope you get it running. (re:eek:ther thread)

Eccocid

Damn i wish i have the patience for playing Riven.
I installed it again a a month ago and got stucked again. (never finsihed it before)
IT is just you have to be really aware of your surroundings and note everything down on a paper. An ideal adventure puzzle game imo but it expects a lot from player.

and after all those years it still has the most realistic rendered backgrounds i cant just believe what i see in this game. Some of the places are way too realistic than any other game had in their prerendered cut scenes.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Eccocid said:
and after all those years it still has the most realistic rendered backgrounds i cant just believe what i see in this game. Some of the places are way too realistic than any other game had in their prerendered cut scenes.

Yeah, it's one of the greatest game worlds ever realised. Absolutely magnificent.

ZAK

I started playing this with my girlfriend... Damn. What a hard game. No guides, either... I hope that "feeling of satisfaction" thing really pays off.

Eccocid

ZAK said:
I started playing this with my girlfriend... Damn. What a hard game. No guides, either... I hope that "feeling of satisfaction" thing really pays off.

There are many audio and visual clues scattered everywhere in game, just write down everything on a paper! Sometimes two related things in a puzzle are way too far from each other you would think that they dont got anything to do with each other but they do.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ZAK said:
Joyful crying will ensue.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..I remember getting this on release day and it frying my 200mhz MMX rig. Didn't play it again until a few years back, and got stuck on the last puzzle..ugh.. The environment and art in this game. Unbelievable. I love the Myst world so much, the books as well.

ZAK

I like how you tried to draw the sub thing and then said "fuck it" and drew a fish with a periscope.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I didn't think many people would actually pay attention to this thread back then, I might have actually proofread the thing first. I think I was also drunk at the time. :p

I should try to find the notebook I used and revisit it again for a bit of sightseeing.

Don't be sorry, this is a fantastic thread. I bought RealMyst, Riven, and Uru in this weekend's Worlds of Cyan 50% off GOG promo based on this thread that I saw mentioned in the main GOG sale thread. Wish there were more threads around like it.

I clicked on someone's two-year-old GoG link earlier in this thread, and was delighted to see these games on sale - perfect timing for a bump! Welp, already got Riven on Steam, so time to buy Myst once again.

Don't be sorry, this is a fantastic thread. I bought RealMyst, Riven, and Uru in this weekend's Worlds of Cyan 50% off GOG promo based on this thread that I saw mentioned in the main GOG sale thread. Wish there were more threads around like it.

LOL that's how I accidentally bumped it, I thought I'd started a new thread about the games after buying them from GOG but I had this thread open in another tab and posted in here :/

Anyway, it's done now. $16.95, can't complain at that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Myst and Riven are absolutely incredible. The puzzle design is unlike anything I've experienced and I'm always amazed at how well they're engrained in their respective worlds.

I haven't played through Myst IV yet...maybe I'll give it a go sometime. I played a tiny bit into Spire, but that was it. Couldn't figure out how to use the electrical chair/command center. The intro was a little off putting though, especially the energy rebalancing puzzle...not Myst-like at all.

Dunan

Just bought Riven for my iPhone ($4.99) thanks to this thread.

I own it already, but it only runs on the late and lamented OS9, and my Mac is 10.5. There was a RivenX project a while ago; did it ever get the old game to run on today's Macs?

The Technomancer

Myst and Riven are absolutely incredible. The puzzle design is unlike anything I've experienced and I'm always amazed at how well they're engrained in their respective worlds.

I haven't played through Myst IV yet...maybe I'll give it a go sometime. I played a tiny bit into Spire, but that was it. Couldn't figure out how to use the electrical chair/command center. The intro was a little off putting though, especially the energy rebalancing puzzle...not Myst-like at all.

Myst IV is alright. One of the primary ages absolutely rocks (
Spire
), and the other ones are alright. Except for the final age. That one sucks.

Well, thanks to today's bump I'm officially interested in the series. Haven't ever really considered it but now that I'm actually reading something about the games, I'm seriously interested.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wow just read my post above from 2 years ago.. yeah.. I still remember the sting of gettin stuck on that last Riven puzzle. Oddly enough I've some how forgotten the entire game again (something I can't do with Myst for some reason) so I can totally see myself trying it again, this time as a real adult..or something like that. I should definitely try out Myst 3-5 as well. And lol at the amount of accidental bumps this thread gets..

So was the DVD release of Riven rendered at a higher resolution than the original 5 disc release (and what's on GOG)? I can't find any evidence of this online...

I found a few high quality renders. If only the whole game existed in this form *cries*

Top Bottom