• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Silent Hill 1-3 (Spoilers): Can we please discuss how awesome this series is?

Persona7

Banned
I actually think SH3 is underrated. Imo, it had the best graphics, art direction, music, most perturbing environments, models and I think it was the most creepiest out of all of the SH games. Nothing compares to the Mirror room. Also, for some reason I really liked Heather as a main character.

Definitely my favorite game in the series.

No that's Silent Hill 3. It's by far the worst of the first three games and arguably worse than 4.
aiYxkJM.jpg

I'm sorry, but that's crazy-talk. Also, I don't think SH3 ever was considered "overrated". I've always had the impression that is wasn't very much liked by the majority.

I'm not saying it's without flaw, but worse than SH4? Please.

Can't speak too much since I'm new to the series, but I've heard of issues within the Silent Hill community of people being a bit too strong in their opinions to where it has turned away a lot of newer/'casual' folks.

Lore is serious business in Silent Hill it seems. Makes the classic RE vs modern RE gameplay arguments look like a game of tag.

The reason people are so defensive about it, is years of abuse with terrible developers and movies that just didn't get it at all.

I think this is the only time you see a starry sky in Silent Hill.
http://i.imgur.com/2rfLZch.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is this image from the HD port? That's a lot of blood from Douglas lol.

[quote="Rhazer Fusion, post: 129282662"]I actually think SH3 is underrated. Imo, it had the best graphics, art direction, music, most perturbing environments, models and I think it was the most creepiest out of all of the SH games. Nothing compares to the Mirror room. Also, for some reason I really liked Heather as a main character.[/QUOTE]
Heather was definitely my favorite as well. I loved her comments on the items/background items you examined and how she handles the interactions with the other characters. Thus I kinda hated how the game that I actually liked/cared for the MC, I finished it faster than the others.

And guess I'll track down Silent Hill 4 from all the posts here. It's going to take me a while to find a like new copy on ebay though. Took me a couple of weeks to get a good deal on SH2 and SH3 and their conditions were basically new.

For me,
SH2 > SH1 > SH3

2 had the best story and characters, 1 had the best atmosphere and pacing, 3 had the best scares (physical and psychological). I still love how 1 just thrusts you right into SH with the car crash.

All three are my favorite survival horror games. I still think SH3 is underrated since it followed such an excellent story in SH2, and people expected the same. The soundtrack is one of the greatest in gaming history. I hope they get Yamaoka back for Silent Hills.

Ralemont

not me
I'll always remember beating Silent Hill 3's last boss with a sword because I came into the fight with 3 bullets total across all guns.

I'll always remember beating Silent Hill 3's last boss with a sword because I came into the fight with 3 bullets total across all guns.
I forgot to do that last night and now I have to play again for the infinite smg. I was going to use that to quickly blow through subsequent playthroughs. :/

I think thats a hint that you've crossed back into the real world version of Silent Hill, I think the only other time you see the real world version is at the end of Silent Hill 1.
Oh it is. I'm just saying that's really the only time you see it. It's actually quite amazing after experiencing seemingly endless darkness all the time.

Did anyone like Downpour? serious question. Never played it but I remember it being roundly ignored on release.

It was interesting. I give it points for trying something different, even if the whole was mediocre. Ran like garbage too. So much frame-rate slowdown and it froze on me several times.

Is this image from the HD port? That's a lot of blood from Douglas lol.
Yep. Here's the original:
to4nSKm.jpg

And guess I'll track down Silent Hill 4 from all the posts here. It's going to take me a while to find a like new copy on ebay though. Took me a couple of weeks to get a good deal on SH2 and SH3 and their conditions were basically new.

Don't forget it's available on the Japanese PlayStation store. I've got it and played through it last year, runs just fine too.

I'm interested in them.

What's the best place to play them? PC or PS2?

Are the PC versions proper ports? All graphics and sound effects intact? I also found this guide on GAF with several fixes for the games.
Do these fixes bring the game in a proper shape or is PS2 still the way to go?
I just want to have the best experience possible.

I'm interested in them.

What's the best place to play them? PC or PS2?

Are the PC versions proper ports? All graphics and sound effects intact? I also found this guide on GAF with several fixes for the games.
Do these fixes bring the game in a proper shape or is PS2 still the way to go?
I just want to have the best experience possible.

PS2 versions are the best, but PC versions can look and play fantastic, but not out of the box. Silent Hill 3 is the only one done in-house by Konami, and therefore looks and performs beautifully. Silent Hill 2&4 were outsourced and have a number of issues, but I've heard SH2 is fine with some tweaking. SH4 apparently still suffers from problems even with adjustments.

The music and sound design in this series has always been astoundingly good, even when the quality of the actual games has declined. It accounts for 90 percent of what makes this series so terrifying.

synce

SH2 was true horror. None of those cheap jump scares you see in a lot of games today. I remember I had to turn the game off at one point because I didn't want to find out what was making those noises

PS2 versions are the best, but PC versions can look and play fantastic, but not out of the box. Silent Hill 3 is the only one done in-house by Konami, and therefore looks and performs beautifully. Silent Hill 2&4 were outsourced and have a number of issues, but I've heard SH2 is fine with some tweaking. SH4 apparently still suffers from problems even with adjustments.

The thought of dealing with unfixed issues or getting distracted by bugs in this kind of game makes me settle for the PS2 versions. That and I want to play them all on the same platform. Now I need to find some copies in good condition.

A-V-B

SH2 is my favorite by far, but SH3 definitely gets props for its beautiful otherworld. Both the office building and the hospital had different otherworlds, and both were amazing. Office building is cold Midwich malevolence and scared the fuck out of me, whereas SH3 Brookhaven is more sort of a gorgeously fucked up fairy world that didn't scare me because it was so goddamn pretty. (And while we're at it, the mall had a different otherworld too which was pretty creepy.) Also, props for the immensely likeable protagonist compared to the other games.

And the INSANE character models. The art design on them is so off the fucking charts that tech literally doesn't matter.

btw, been getting kinda hooked on P.T. youtube let's plays. It's so much fun to see how people of all kinds and from different countries react. It's just about universal. Even PewDiePie, who has all sorts of mental fallbacks for horror games, couldn't survive the test, and he missed half the scares. That's really impressive.

Jimrpg

SH2 is one of my favourite games of all time but its the only one of the three I've finished. SH3 I got halfway before literally running out of bullets and with no way to get anymore.

Its the story that's so amazing in SH2, at the time I didn't know that games could tell so powerful stories. THen you add in the superb art and graphics, the tension during the gameplay, the beautiful music and SH2 is one of the best of that generation.

Its definitely the best horror game of all time.

Also - how scary is this game with the lights off playing at midnight. Holy fucking shit.

Nemesis_

Silent Hill 4 was probably scariest, there was just something terrifying about it.

Silent Hill 4 did a lot of subtle scares really well, IMO. But then it really went off the other end of the scale. Burping nurses and haunted wheelchairs are some of the worst things in the series.

St_Jeromes_Hospital3.jpg

Looks better in motion.

randomwab

Silent Hill 2 is arguably the finest presentation of a story the medium has ever seen. Every aspect of the game was driven toward a single vision; of the town manifesting the rotting guilt of a character for what he's done, a story that works on the most basic human level. From the visuals to the sound, the performances to the design, it's a smart group of developers at the top of their game given a wide leash and wanting to make something thoughtful and beautiful, putting meaning in everything and reinforcing the feeling of what it's like to be this guy having done this thing in every moment they could. The fact that it came in the AAA space at the time, from one of the biggest publishers of that moment is still mind boggling. An utter masterpiece.

There's my bit of hyperbole for today.

Nemesis_

Silent Hill 2 is arguably the finest presentation of a story the medium has ever seen. Every aspect of the game was driven toward a single vision; of the town manifesting the rotting guilt of a character for what he's done, a story that works on the most basic human level. From the visuals to the sound, the performances to the design, it's a smart group of developers at the top of their game given a wide leash and wanting to make something thoughtful and beautiful, putting meaning in everything and reinforcing the feeling of what it's like to be this guy having done this thing in every moment they could. The fact that it came in the AAA space at the time, from one of the biggest publishers of that moment is still mind boggling. An utter masterpiece.

No Shattered Memories is better you'll never see da twist coming !!

AdaWong

Let's discuss the trendsetting Silent Hill. Let's discuss the brilliant writing of Silent Hill 2. Let's not discuss the trash that was Silent Hill 3, though.

How I love Silent Hill 3. The amazing visuals, excellent soundtrack and sound design plus one of the best protagonists in the series. I can replay that game again and again.

Silent Hill 4 was probably scariest, there was just something terrifying about it.

the cutscene that introduces you to the
water prison ghost
where you hear him like singing is so goddamn unnerving. They really figured out how to get that make your skin crawl feel, shame about the many dopey decisions the game made.

Pilgrimzero

2 is by far the best. 3 while good was linear. 1 is good but I'd be fine with a remake.

4 is the only SH game I never finished because I just plain didn't like it, the enemies, the story, the main character, all fell flat for me. Good music though.

0 felt like a good melding of 1 and 2.

I forgot how difficult the hard riddle level is in Silent Hill 3. I think it surpasses SH2's extra-riddle.

or I'm just stupid
I actually tried playing SH3 with riddles on hard yesterday...fuck that Shakespeare puzzle. After an hour, I turned it off. It's been years since I've read Shakespeare.
I know Hamlet is the first one since everyone kills themselves(this took me a while though since I thought everyone in Shakespeare's plays pretty much die. but then I remember my sister saying Hamlet is the one that everyone dies), Romeo and Juliet is in the spot whatever the girl who kills herself, and Macbeth is the one with the witches so it's the last one. I didn't read the other two and since I wasn't going to guess further into the puzzle(which wouldn't have been bad since you have just two possibilities), but I didn't figure out what to do after arranging the books. So I turned it off.

For me,
SH2 > SH1 > SH3

2 had the best story and characters, 1 had the best atmosphere and pacing, 3 had the best scares (physical and psychological). I still love how 1 just thrusts you right into SH with the car crash.
I would have to agree with what you said except 1 having the best atmosphere. I think 2 is slightly above 3. Though I loved how SH1 throws you into the alternative Silent Hill the first time. That beginning is memorable.

Yep. Here's the original:
http://i.imgur.com/to4nSKm.jpg[IMG]

Don't forget it's available on the Japanese PlayStation store. I've got it and played through it last year, runs just fine too.[/QUOTE]
Thought so. If I saw that when I finished it, I would have wondered why Douglas didn't die from blood lost. At least the night sky is beautiful there.

I would if my PS3 was still working. I will eventually buy a new PS3 but not for $250 when the PS4 is just $150 more. It would probably be cheaper to buy it on the JPN PSN too...

[quote="randomwab, post: 129499733"]Silent Hill 2 is arguably the finest presentation of a story the medium has ever seen. Every aspect of the game was driven toward a single vision; of the town manifesting the rotting guilt of a character for what he's done, a story that works on the most basic human level. From the visuals to the sound, the performances to the design, it's a smart group of developers at the top of their game given a wide leash and wanting to make something thoughtful and beautiful, putting meaning in everything and reinforcing the feeling of what it's like to be this guy having done this thing in every moment they could. The fact that it came in the AAA space at the time, from one of the biggest publishers of that moment is still mind boggling. An utter masterpiece.
[/QUOTE]
Post of the day for me, couldn't agree more.

Edit:[quote="NewGame, post: 129258329"]OP I highly suggest you look up "The Real Silent Hill Experience" on youtube. Lots of interesting commentary and tidbits about the game.[/QUOTE]
Finally watched this and I must say, these guys are annoying. I only watched it for the information they provided. Overall, it was decent but I was disappointed with it. I expected more on the analysis section.

randomwab

Finally watched this and I must say, these guys are annoying. I only watched it for the information they provided. Overall, it was decent but I was disappointed with it. I expected more on the analysis section.

I think a big issue with their videos is that they argue so strongly for a story that is, in many ways, open to interpretation. It's alright to tell us your opinion on the games and why you think they fit your idea of the story, but don't say we're wrong if we disagree. And understand that just because you don't like the post Team Silent era games, others do and being so smug just looses you followers.

Has anyone completed a ten-star ranking for the Silent Hill games? I've done it for SH2 (never again), and I'm thinking about trying it for SH3.

I will never attempt it for SH1. It looks like the hardest one to do, and I'm not great at combat in that one (air screamers).

Weiss

Banned
I tried playing Silent Hill 3 a little while ago and could not get into it. Never even reached the town itself.

Silent Hill 2, on the other hand, has become one of my favourite games of all time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Silent Hill 2 has some of the best writing in video games. It has it all: mature exploration of adult themes, emotional, gripping dialog, fantastic, unique styling that feels character-appropriate, and a wonderful economy of words.

And it wasn't developed by people who spoke english natively

WHAT.

HAPPENED.

TO.

GAMING.

bender

What time is it?
I wish I weren't such a chicken. I can never make it past the first few minutes of Silent Hill 2.

Actually, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Imo, SH2 has the best story in a game ever. Pure genius.

Nemesis_

Has anyone completed a ten-star ranking for the Silent Hill games? I've done it for SH2 (never again), and I'm thinking about trying it for SH3.

I will never attempt it for SH1. It looks like the hardest one to do, and I'm not great at combat in that one (air screamers).

I just did it! It was a fucking nightmare, especially the Eddie boss battle.

Silent Hill 2 has some of the best writing in video games. It has it all: mature exploration of adult themes, emotional, gripping dialog, fantastic, unique styling that feels character-appropriate, and a wonderful economy of words.

And it wasn't developed by people who spoke english natively

WHAT.

HAPPENED.

TO.

GAMING.

Silent Hill 2, September 2001.
Halo, November 2001.

And now here we are. It became all about the "action" and that is why we ended up with Downpour and the upcoming Silent Hills starring an action hero.

Let's discuss the trendsetting Silent Hill. Let's discuss the brilliant writing of Silent Hill 2. Let's not discuss the trash that was Silent Hill 3, though.

Silent Hill 3 had "that line" which makes it all worth while. More games should challenge the player in ways like that.

I think SH3 had improvements over SH2. I wouldn't necessarily call it a better game, but it had several noteworthy improvements such as the graphics, art design, number of enemies and imo the combat was a little better. I like them both around the same for their own distinct reasons.

HeelPower

Silent Hill 3 is a valuable game in the series.

I think its a game that showcases the horrific aspects of the series really well.

It really is the most horrific silent hill game.Going back to the "normal" world brought about such a sense of relief.

I think SH3 had improvements over SH2. I wouldn't necessarily call it a better game, but it had several noteworthy improvements such as the graphics, art design, number of enemies and imo the combat was a little better. I like them both around the same for their own distinct reasons.
Yup. It has some great moments that make it easily worth playing. I can't see how people hate it, besides the ending.

I never even attempted star ratings in the Silent Hill series. Resident Evil grades were the best I could muster. And I think that has everything to do with how much dread and terror I feel while playing the SH series. I just want to finish them,
without shitting my pants

I finished Silent Hill 1 for the first time last night. Got the worst ending because I didn't know about the
red liquid and skipped entirely passed the Kaufmann subquest.
It was amazing to see where it all started, and also impressive that the palpable fear I felt while playing 2 and 3 many years ago was still there, even with terrible image quality to today's standards.

Now I start replays for 2, 3 and 4. I went through a good chunk of Homecoming and Origins, but I doubt I will pick them up again. Might just check out Downpour. Shattered Memories is a maybe.

dan2026

Is there discussion of the implications of this line? I'm relatively new to the series and that line feels like a huge stinger, but the rest of the ending just goes off the deep end somewhat.

Its intentionally ambiguous and just sort of thrown out there.

I always assumed the creatures of Silent Hill look different depending on whose looking at them.
And some don't see any creatures at all.

I don't stand by the theory that you are killing real people, that you just happen to see as monsters.

Top Bottom