• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic 06

Yup. Mid air!

But I beat everyone elses Last Story segment in less than a minute and didn't get a game over. I'm guessing if I lost all my lives I'd have to do it all over again?
01laugh.gif

oh hey a cutscene

OH GOD

I shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did

luka

Loves Robotech S1
what has been seen, can never be unseen. you will carry this burden to your grave.

i'm sorry, you brought it on yourself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yup. Mid air!

But I beat everyone elses Last Story segment in less than a minute and didn't get a game over. I'm guessing if I lost all my lives I'd have to do it all over again?
01laugh.gif
Yup. :D

oh hey a cutscene

OH GOD
It shall be committed to memory forever.

Also, compared to everything else, I didn't find the final battle too bad. The instrumental version of His World probably had a hand in that.

Yup. Mid air!

01laugh.gif

oh hey a cutscene

OH GOD

Now... now you know

i remember i had a jumping glitch once at this part couldn't jump in front ( i could jump only when stopped )..
i WTFed and then i retryed this WHOLE part ..

So many bugs in this game....

Anth0ny

This is it! Final boss time.

SOzkX.jpg

Honestly, I hit buttons. I didn't feel as helpless as the Sonic Generations final boss, but I had no idea when I was damaging him and when I was just bouncing off his core or whatever.

Silver's fucking rocks kept exploding every time I tried to throw them, so he was no help.

Sonic darts into the boss with his offensive attack. But he kept getting hit by frickin lasers and getting killed.

Shadow did most of the work. ki blasts all day.

So I took him down, and we have one more cutscene.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM. Well, not really. But I guess the events of this game never happened in the "Sonic timeline". This is a good thing. I'm surprised Sega had the presense of mind to add this story element into the game. Maybe they realized how god fucking awful it was going to be and decided to add that into the script right near the end of production?

ROLL CREDITS

FINAL THOUGHTS:

That was one hell of a ride. It took me 6 months to grind this game out. I laughed, I cried, I shit bricks. It is by far the worst coded game I've ever played.

Yet, it was a unique experience. Never before have I played a game not fearing the enemies or stage hazards, but the physics going haywire, or getting glitched out and dying. Usually, that's the sign of a bad game, and a horrible experience. Don't get me wrong, the game is bad. But the experience... was fun. Getting passed those mach speed stages felt great. Learning how to beat the seemingly invincible Silver as Sonic, and then taking control of Silver later to GRAVITY SQUEEZE THE FUCK OUT OF THAT BLUE HEDGEHOG was so damn satisfying.

Was it worth it? In the end, I think it was, yes. The word "recommend" is hard to use when referring to this game. But honestly, if you're a Sonic fan, I think at one time or another, you need to experience Sonic 06. Maybe you'll even have a new appreciation for other (Sonic) games!

Speaking of other Sonic games... Sonic Colors. At this point, having finished the game, I can confidently say: I had way more fun with Sonic 06. I played Colors less than a year ago, and I can't remember a single thing about it. Such a vanilla experience. Sonic 06, on the other hand, was just batshit insane. Colors may have been coded better, and had objectively better level design... but I held forward to win. And I won. No hardships, no feelings of accomplishment. Just not a memorable experience at all.

I'm going to play through a bit of the game again, now that I have Sonic 06 under my belt. Maybe my feelings have changed since playing Generations and 06. Who knows. Right now though, I'd give the nod to 06.

Best parts of the game:

-Shadow nailing Silver in the back of the head, complete with hilarious SFX.
-PELE, THE BELOVED DOG
-That feel when you murder Sonic with Shadow
-That feel when you finish the first mach speed segment after dying a million times and being forced to play through the beach level a billion times because it doesn't save

Worst parts of the game:

-fucking Silver's jungle stage
-fucking Silver boss battle as Sonic
-THAT TORNADO'S CARRYING A CAR

Awesome stuff because I'm pro:

-Finished Silver's billiards on the first try
-Finished Last Story in 10 minutes and didn't get a game over
-Finished the train mach speed segment on first try
-Didn't encounter a single game ending glitch during my entire playthrough

So... what's next? Well, this whole lttp was started because I decided to play through every Sonic game during the wait for Sonic Generations. Well, since I'm a glutton for punishment, the only logical next step would be... ugh...

k3MaJ.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speaking of other Sonic games... Sonic Colors. At this point, having finished the game, I can confidently say: I had way more fun with Sonic 06. I played Colors less than a year ago, and I can't remember a single thing about it. Such a vanilla experience. Sonic 06, on the other hand, was just batshit insane. Colors may have been coded better, and had objectively better level design... but I held forward to win. And I won. No hardships, no feelings of accomplishment. Just not a memorable experience at all.

Oh for the love of... You were wrong. Just admit it. Playing Sonic 06 makes people do and say insane things, but this is just not something we, as the human race, can allow anyone to state.

qq more

"Colors may have been coded better, and had objectively better level design... but I held forward to win."

wait

what

Emitan

CO2v8.png

luka

Loves Robotech S1

3W8ST.gif

Anth0ny...the game is over. You don't need to keep lying to yourself and us that Sonic 06 is better just to keep trucking through it. The game is over. You're free now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny needs a tag that will be a waking reminder of his opinion on this game versus Unleashed and Colors for everyone that ever happens upon his posts.

No tolerance.

anth0ny here's a deal for you

you can get to say that sonic 06 is a better game than colors and unleashed, IF, and only if, you unlock everything in the library in shadow the hedgehog

deal?

Kokonoe

Banned
It's obvious he prefers Sonic Adventure style over the current Sonic style of gameplay.
I personally didn't like Colors, but I would never say it's as bad as 06, not by a long shot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How well does it run in Dolphin? I've been meaning to get streaming equipment but Dolphin is free

You need a pretty great computer to do it I think. I've seen YouTube vids that seem to run it perfectly though, and it looks spectacular (at 1080p/60fps/4xAA.)

Playing Shadow after Sonic 06 isn't really much of anything. It's amazingly straightforward and a fairly short experience for one run through given the branching path system/encouraged replayability (lol). So unless you're deadset on playing all the levels and getting the proper ending it'll be like "wait, is that all?"

Awesome stuff because I'm pro:
-Finished Last Story in 10 minutes and didn't get a game over
there is no way in hell you actually did this

there's just way too many glitches and the segments are just too poorly designed for it to be physically possible to know at what point in every segment the game's going to suddenly spawn a giant demonic eyeball and instantly kill you unless you've already trial-and-error'd the whole thing several times over

EuroMIX

Shadow is a playable game; people may bitch and moan about it, but it's nowhere near the torture that 06 is by any stretch of the imagination.

That said: "FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!"

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Playing Shadow The Hedgehog is like wearing the Iron Boots, while having the slipperiness of the Hover Boots.

Yeah or in short: It's a boring game, but nowhere near as horrible as Sonic 06.

My condolesences at Anthony, who obviously went insane over Sonic 06. I hope a therapy will be successful. I still live with a lot of the damage this game has done to me ;).

ffdgh

where that damn fourth chaos emerald.

shadow the hedgehog isn't that bad......unless you're looking for artificial chaos....for about an hour with maria

EuroMIX

shadow the hedgehog isn't that bad......unless you're looking for artificial chaos....for about an hour with maria

I've A-ranked it before. Once you know where they all are it's not so hard, of course that doesn't excuse the stupid design of that mission. It really needed a radar or something...

EuroMIX

You have to complete the game 326 times.
I think this is suitable punishment for having the wrongest opinion.

A while back I deleted my save and replayed intending to A-rank everything and then I started trying to get every possible route, but I stopped for a bit. To be fair, once you've mastered the missions themselves, the only real punishment is how time-consuming it is.

Lijik

A while back I deleted my save and replayed intending to A-rank everything and then I started trying to get every possible route, but I stopped for a bit. To be fair, once you've mastered the missions themselves, the only real punishment is how time-consuming it is.

Lets say the average Shadow playthrough is an hour long.
At best, thats 326 hours of playing Shadow the Hedgehog
Thirteen and half full days of your life will have been consumed entirely by this game and you will never get those days back.

Thats not punishment, thats borderline mind-breaking torture.

Top Bottom