• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn

The overall package leaves something to be desired but I always felt it was the best 3D sonic game when it worked.

City Escape, Metal Harbor, etc. There are levels in the game that are really well designed. But we need a 3D sonic where all the levels are designed around what made the better levels work

MrBadger

I do appreciate this game slightly more since I revisited it last year. I now rank it as "bad but I kinda like parts of it". But Security Hall is a completely garbage level. Omochao straight up lies about how to unlock the safes the chaos emeralds are hidden inside. I still don't know how to get them open because the walkthrough I read told me to "die and hope they spawn somewhere else". Bullshit.

Zeta Oni

Spent so much time trying to find the emeralds on Pumpkin Hill, the guitar riff is burnt into my skull.

I can recall it perfectly to this day, and I haven't played adventure 2 in almost a decade now.

Best of the 3D Sonics imo, the grind battle versus stuff kept me coming back to whip my brothers asses for years after the games release.

And as you pointed out, the god tier OST.

FOLLOW ME
SET ME FREEEEEE

Ogodei

I do appreciate this game slightly more since I revisited it last year. I now rank it as "bad but I kinda like parts of it". But Security Hall is a completely garbage level. Omochao straight up lies about how to unlock the safes the chaos emeralds are hidden inside. I still don't know how to get them open because the walkthrough I read told me to "die and hope they spawn somewhere else". Bullshit.

Climb onto the target safe and dig on the holographic "G."

Lol @ the walkthrough's suggestion. Though i have had a few cases where i absolutely couldn't figure out where the game was trying to tell me, it's not the safes.

MrBadger

Climb onto the target safe and dig on the holographic "G."

Lol @ the walkthrough's suggestion. Though i have had a few cases where i absolutely couldn't figure out where the game was trying to tell me, it's not the safes.

That only works on some of them. Others don't have a holographic G and can't be opened this way. Omochao just says "dig in the centre of the safes".

Ogodei

That only works on some of them. Others don't have a holographic G and can't be opened this way. Omochao just says "dig in the centre of the safes".

What ballad said above. There are switches up at the very tip-top of the level that you can activate to turn on the different safes.

Even with all the issues the game has, it's one of my favorites. Sonic and Shadow levels were great, and I had fun with the Knuckles and Rouge levels, too. The Tails/Eggman missions are awful though. I hated them back then and I hate them now.

I still play the game regularly. And the Chao garden was great. I wish Sega would do something else with the concept. Seems like a mobile Chao Garden game would do decently.

And Rouge's soundtrack is really underrated. Everyone remembers Sonic and Shadow's themes and the cheesiness of Knuckle's themes, but I rarely ever see anyone mention Rouge's.

This is the exact point where everything about the series went off the rails.
Tonally, anyway. Mechanically, it's easy to argue it faltered earlier than this, but even then those games were still bright and cheery adventures, compared to this grittier take on the franchise where Eggman blows up half the moon, forever and irreparably screwing up the planet's tides, as a warning shot.

Although, to be honest, this was the last Sonic game for a very long period of time I enjoyed, and even though it's not really a very good game in retrospect, I still love it. Is it still a guilty pleasure if I'm unabashed about it?

Even with all the issues the game has, it's one of my favorites. Sonic and Shadow levels were great, and I had fun with the Knuckles and Rouge levels, too. The Tails/Eggman missions are awful though. I hated them back then and I hate them now.

I still play the game regularly. And the Chao garden was great. I wish Sega would do something else with the concept. Seems like a mobile Chao Garden game would do decently.

And Rouge's soundtrack is really underrated. Everyone remembers Sonic and Shadow's themes and the cheesiness of Knuckle's themes, but I rarely ever see anyone mention Rouge's.

I was ready to talk about how great "I'm a Spy" and "Fly in the Freedom" is. Rouge's music is definitely the stuff that has held up the best for me.

Sonic and Tails talk to the President in this game, what a weird fucking story.

Indelible

I loved the Sonic levels but everything else was just a slog to get through, especially the Knuckles/Rouge stages.

Oh man, a F2P Chao Garden is just a bunch of money waiting to happen.

Ogodei

Oh man, a F2P Chao Garden is just a bunch of money waiting to happen.

I remember being fascinated with the Immortal Chaos Chaos (Kaos Ciaos, pronunciation). You could get hero, neutral, or dark, but the way the game calculated it was by number of hours you spent in the garden, so i recall a time in the 8th grade when i just left my GameCube running all day. That was how the Chaos matured, but also how you got them to mate if you fed them love fruits. Chaos that didn't turn immortal would die after a certain point to manage the population. Long story short, because i was leaving the garden running for so long, only managing it intermittently to tend to the one Chao i was focusing on, the other Chaos basically went feral and were several generations inbred by the time all was said and done.

Not that it had any negative impact on them, but it was amusing then and now.

Eila

It's 75% off on steam right now, along with the Battle DLC.
Just bought it. I hated Adventure, but I just want to refresh my memory with this one.
I had a friend who loved all the 3D sonic games and I remember playing it for a bit.

yyr

I believe that there are two ways to play this game: casually, and going for all of the Emblems.

It is only when you go for all of the Emblems, and are tasked with trying to get all As on every stage, that you realize just how amazing the gameplay and level design in this game really are. (It also makes the intermittent control issues even more frustrating, but I digress.) Once things "click," the experience--even in the treasure-hunting levels--becomes VERY intense and action-packed, and each A Rank becomes progressively more satisfying.

Green Hill Zone is one of the best 100% completion rewards I've ever seen. The developers put SO MUCH effort into that 3D recreation. It is possible to clear it in less than two minutes, but you should really explore every nook and cranny because they really did try to recreate EVERY aspect of the original level in Sonic 1.

Just two months ago I completed my HD version playthrough on 360. It was my second time getting all 180 Emblems; the first was on Dreamcast, almost 15 years ago. And in about 15 years, I'll be doing it again. One of my favorite games ever made.

RK128

Wow, didn't expect this thread to get such a bump XD!

Happy to see so many talk about SA2, as it really is a good game at spots :). I personally enjoyed most of the game (BS Emerald Radar withstanding), but I can understand if people feel mixed on the game.

Never got all the 180 Emblems as......I don't want to snap my GC/PS3 controller in half man X(. Have a lot of respect for those who could do that though; its really hard to get A Ranks for everything.

A ghost tried to approach me.

HE GOT LARRY.

XD

Got all 180 emblems in this game. I had a blast, but I'm not sure I could go back.

Didn't know how to jump in Yoshi's Story, snapped the Spyro 1 disk in half after getting frustrated during a level, got lost badly in Pokemon Gold

I don't want to snap my GC/PS3 controller in half man X(. Have a lot of respect for those who could do that though; its really hard to get A Ranks for everything.

You're... exaggerating right? I really hope you don't get that angry... :(

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's a pretty terrible game, but damn if it wasn't an impressive looking game back in 2001. Some really flashy graphics at 60fps to boot.

A shame the Dreamcast didn't make it through the entire generation, I would have loved to see developers squeeze every last drop out of the hardware.

RK128

A ghost tried to approach me.

HE GOT LARRY.

XD

Got all 180 emblems in this game. I had a blast, but I'm not sure I could go back.

You're... exaggerating right? I really hope you don't get that angry... :(

I USED to get that angry, but I got a lot better over the years. I could see myself getting upset for a 180 Emblem Run of SA2, so I never bothered with it. The treasure hunting stages are frustrating to me as is X(.

marmoka

Banned
I didn't like this game much. I prefered Sonic Adventure 1. I loved Sonic and Shadow stages, but I didn't enjoy playing as Tails, Knuckles, Eggman and Rouge. The downside here, was that you had to play with them if you wanted to play a new hedgehog stage later.

But not everything is bad in this game, the controls for Sonic were amazingly improved from SA1. I used to replay Sonic and Shadow levels many times. The rest were forgettable for me, same with SA1 stages with the other characters (Tails was good, but I'd rather play as Sonic).

The soundtrack was cool as well for this game, but the main tracks were more focused for teenages, I don't enjoy them now as much as I did 10 years ago. Anyway, Green Forest and Final Rush tracks are my favorites of the game, and part of my favorites from all Sonic games. I used to switch to Green Forest music at Generations when playing Seaside Hill Zone, haha.

21XX

Banned
Probably my favorite not-really-all-that-great game. Played the Gamecube version a TON. Loved the Chao Garden.

muteki

The Knuckes/Rouge levels never bothered me, I like exploration stages.

Never did understand the Chao garden appeal, but I did play a lot on my VMU.

Mostly left SA2 disappointed, never seemed to capture the magic I had on 9/9/99 playing SA1.

But Knuckles

YOU USED TO CHUCKLE!

Also
1YowT9m.jpg

Off-topic, but I miss the pre-reboot Sonic comics. Iron Queen was a badass. :(

I'm still annoyed they nerfed the chao garden on the GCN version.
Wait, how so?

I thought they added the black market and the school and stuff. I am wondering where the dark world is though in my playthrough...

My memory of what was in the Dreamcast Original may be hazy since I spent so little time with it.

I USED to get that angry, but I got a lot better over the years. I could see myself getting upset for a 180 Emblem Run of SA2, so I never bothered with it. The treasure hunting stages are frustrating to me as is X(.

Glad to hear it.

I used a strategy guide for the treasure hunting stages' emblems. Ain't nobody got time for Find the lost Chao/Hard Mode.

Top Bottom