• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spec Ops: The Line (I am Sick) [SPOILERS]

Dragun619

Grabbed a PS3 copy during Black Friday at Walamart for $15. A solid story with solid gameplay mechanics. Didn't do anything new but I thought the execution was pretty good overall.
Really liked the slow progression of the team's frustration and bloody appearance and I even manged to playthrough the hardest difficulty to get the platinum trophy too. But what I didn't like though was some the imagery, especially during the white phosphorus part.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've very much believed even in the early days that Six Days in Fallujah would probably suck ass. But I really like some of the ideas about it and I would like to see the more interesting aspects of what it was going for thematically explored further, preferably by a competent dev team like Yager.

Apparently Breach also only sold like 15,000 units in its first week. BOOOOOOOOOOMBA
Their Close Combat games were a grognard's dream. It's too bad that Relic basically trumped them with CoH and RTSes as a whole died.

The white phosphorus scene is pretty dumb imo, on the gameplay part they spoil the surprise of the cinematic part... you are watching that big group of civilians through the camera, you already know that you have killed a shit ton of people.

The worst part, i already didn't want to shoot that last projectile, it didn't make any sense, to put all that people on danger for killing the last pair of soldiers...

And then the cinematic scene triggers like, surprise motherfucker! You did all this! Bullshit.

At least they could use a normal camera instead of a infrared one, and put the civilians under a tent or something... or give the players a way to stop using the fucking phosphorus.

A real choice and consequence system on a videogame is 10 times more powerful than throwing some digital gore at your face; but they went the easy way.

You can blame focus testing on this one. The "average" gamer didn't see that those were civilians that you were going to kill.

It's no surprise that games are getting more simple, if people are building games around the lowest common denominator.

I thought that was an incentive to get people to use the executions when they might otherwise avoid them. A player might try to take the "moral high ground" and avoid brutal takedowns, but because they'd need ammo, they'd change their ways, and also see another aspect of Walker's character arc. Which I thought was a good idea, except I never reached a point where I needed to do that.
For me, it just doesn't make any sense given the attempt at some emotional or psychological verisimilitude. Now, you could argue that if the entire game is a hallucination, then the video gamey stuff that happens is simply an artifact of his mind breaking down rather than any attempt at trying to represent reality.

But when I was first playing the game, having extra ammo pop out of dead guys makes as much sense as Mario somehow growing in size just because he eats a mushroom. The difference being that Nintendo isn't trying to make an anti-war shooter with NSMBU. lol

At least since Yager decided to put it in the game they did something interesting with it. In Gears of War you do the same curb stomp animation at the end of the game as you do in the first 5 minutes.
That's true, at least. And since you're mostly doing it to American soldiers, I suppose it makes it all the more disturbing.

Jackpot

Banned
Wondered why this thread had exploded in size. I thought ErikB was supposed to be permaed from derailing the SpecOps thread last time?

volpone

Banned
It's hard to be sure with a game like Spec Ops, which has built its reputation slowly over solid word of mouth, whether the people who criticise it for being too obvious or preachy went in to the game cold or already knew what the game was going to say due to the constant dialogue going on about it.

That's a big regret for me actually. Not having the chance to go in to Spec Ops having not learnt anything about it prior.

sonicmj1

For me, it just doesn't make any sense given the attempt at some emotional or psychological verisimilitude. Now, you could argue that if the entire game is a hallucination, then the video gamey stuff that happens is simply an artifact of his mind breaking down rather than any attempt at trying to represent reality.

But when I was first playing the game, having extra ammo pop out of dead guys makes as much sense as Mario somehow growing in size just because he eats a mushroom. The difference being that Nintendo isn't trying to make an anti-war shooter with NSMBU. lol

I filed that under things like regenerating health in the "shit that happens because gameplay" column. Maybe I missed some obvious visual effect of ammo appearing, but it kinda made sense to me. If you let the enemies linger without finishing them, you couldn't take their ammo. So you'd execute them and get bullets.

Oh man I missed Erik "sliding into cover" B getting banned again for Spec Ops discussion?

Considering how little he's actually played of the game, I can't figure out how he got so offended by what he heard about late-game loading screens. It's bad enough that he invented these misconceptions about the game, but the bizarre part is his need to convince everyone that he's right, based on limited experience and out-of-context information.

I just can't understand his mindset.

Haunted

Wondered why this thread had exploded in size. I thought ErikB was supposed to be permaed from derailing the SpecOps thread last time?
Best way to get banned is to ignore the last reason for getting banned and just continuing where you left off.

ErikB entering Spec Ops and RE6 threads with no self-reflection and an unchanged attitude is borderline account suicide.

Best way to get banned is to ignore the last reason for getting banned and just continuing where you left off.

ErikB entering Spec Ops and RE6 threads with no self-reflection and an unchanged attitude is borderline account suicide.

Pretty terrifying, if it's clearly obvious that someone is in despearte need for a therapy, just after reading through a couple of pages on a gaming message board...

Ledsen

This game was quite the disappointment to me. In large part thanks to stuff like this:

This is all your fault.

Do you feel like a hero?
which was so heavy handed that I actually cringed while playing. None of the supposedly brutal and over-the-top scenes really bothered me at all, except for the white phosphorous massacre. Other than that, it was largely uninteresting and failed to keep me engaged for long periods of time. The mundane gameplay and my apathetic feelings towards any sort of corridor shooter certainly contributed that, I admit. It did make me want to re-read Heart of Darkness though, so it has that going for it. Oh, and one thing I did love, that was actually subtle, was when I killed my friend, only to die and upon replaying found out that it wasn't my friend I'd been fighting but just some generic dude. There were flashes of brilliance in subverting expectations, and I applaud the game's ambition, but overall it wasn't at all what I'd hoped for.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Oh man I missed Erik "sliding into cover" B getting banned again for Spec Ops discussion?

actually, i get the feeling that spec ops affected him in a more serious way than just about anyone else who's played it :) . the guy seems genuinely, frantically angry, as though his long-standing ability to over-immerse himself in endlessly juvenile bad-ass fantasy has been permanently crippled, & that it's this particular game that's responsible...

on-topic: almost done with this. fine for what it is, & what it has to say, but not being a military shooter fan in the first place (& only playing this out of curiosity) i'm thinking much of the bitter irony & commentary is basically wasted on me. i mean, there're reasons i've never been a fan of military shooters :) ...

StarWolf

Banned
So I've gotten to chapter 7 and I have yet to really see anything that makes me feel bad for my actions or anything like that, does it just ramp up later or something?

actually, i get the feeling that spec ops affected him in a more serious way than just about anyone else who's played it :) . the guy seems genuinely, frantically angry, as though his long-standing ability to over-immerse himself in endlessly juvenile bad-ass fantasy has been permanently crippled, & that it's this particular game that's responsible...

Probably. I wasn't too much of a fan of military shooters already, but after playing Spec Ops I really can't stomach them anymore. I can definitely see someone outright HATING the game if I were a real fan of the genre and ended up being affected by Spec Ops message to the same degree.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I filed that under things like regenerating health in the "shit that happens because gameplay" column. Maybe I missed some obvious visual effect of ammo appearing, but it kinda made sense to me. If you let the enemies linger without finishing them, you couldn't take their ammo. So you'd execute them and get bullets.

Heh, that's funny. Regenerating health has been so standardized that I didn't even think of it as a videogamey part of the game. lol
That and drugs that can instantly cure any wounds on your downed guys.

Still, dead is dead. It's not like the ammo disappears if you just let a guy die or if you kill him "normally" with your gun.

antitrop

In Spec Ops: The Line you can slide into cover! And the controls are better than Resident Evil 6! GOTY.

So I've gotten to chapter 7 and I have yet to really see anything that makes me feel bad for my actions or anything like that, does it just ramp up later or something?
This is probably my favorite post in the thread.

Spoilers about player choice:

After Lugo dies and
Adams and Walker are left surrounded by
the civilian mob, you have the choice to gun them all down or fire into the air and scare them off. I bet a large number of players had no idea about the latter.
Maybe you don't know but this was another poorly executed idea by Yager. Let me explain, as i realised there were strong reasons for them to want Delta Squad death, my reaction was just to leave the place. Just to suddenly get killed by... a rock! Walker the man that sustains fire from a 50 cal and just need a breather to regenerate and chuck the injures of, dies from the impact of a pebble. Maybe it was made out of Kryptonite.

In the reload, i don't even had to fire a single shot, i just shoved the first person that came close. I think i didn't get any achievements this way.
It doesn't really matter.
Helicopter crash in the sandstorm actually killed Captain Walker, and the rest of the game is his Purgatory.
You know, that this one, out of all possibilities is the one that would benefit the game plot more than any other. Because it would help to explain the stupid "gamy" things that the game exersices. Like the idiotic health regen system (which doesnt fit the game at all) and the infinite respawns. If i was the writer i would beg for the player to think that was indeed the case.

In regards to the Sliding Derailer: Don't be fooled by him he did play the game and even probably finished it. He just have a bruised ego and probably thinks the game played him and not viceversa :)

I wasn't fully sold on the game, until the catharsis of the final level tipped the balance into "fucking hell this is deep" territory. Amazing conclusion.

antitrop

I wasn't fully sold on the game, until the catharsis of the final level tipped the balance into "fucking hell this is deep" territory. Amazing conclusion.
Making a good video game ending is so extremely difficult that I think Spec Ops does as good a job as any.
Best ending for me this year is still The Walking Dead, but I enjoyed Spec Ops more on the whole.

Spec Ops: The Line also has to take the cake as one of the best revivals of a dead franchise ever. The last Spec Ops game was 2002's Spec Ops: Airborne Commando budget shovelware on PS1. Talk about out of fucking nowhere.

antitrop

DTOID picked it for one of 2012's most overlooked titles.

http://www.destructoid.com/overlooked-games-of-2012-240792.phtml
It's mostly gaming press that caused the title to be overlooked in the first place.

There were very few reviews of the game that I felt expressed what makes it special and worth playing, and many spent FAR too much time talking about the minutiae of what makes the gameplay average and blah blah multiplayer sucks, etc.

This thread, and others like it, will do far better service to anyone interested in the game than any professional review did or will.

I almost gave this game a pass because if the initial round of reviews, turned out to be my favorite game of the year that I almost didn't even bother with.

ezekial45

Banned
It's mostly gaming press that caused the title to be overlooked in the first place.

There were very few reviews of the game that I felt expressed what makes it special and worth playing, and many spent FAR too much time talking about the minutiae of what makes the gameplay average and blah blah multiplayer sucks, etc.

This thread, and others like it, will do far better service to anyone interested in the game than any professional review did or will.

I almost gave this game a pass because if the initial round of reviews, turned out to be my favorite game of the year that I almost didn't even bother with.

To be fair, the creator himself didn't like the multiplayer mode either, calling it a "cancer" on the overall package. So he wasn't completely happy with how it turned out.

Anyway, I guess I can understand your complaints, but this article in particular was celebrating the game, and other games like it . So I don't think it's fair to pounce on this article, especially considering that there's good intentions here.

EDIT: Also, lets be honest here - Spec Ops isn't for everyone. Even if they gave it super positive reviews because of the experience factor, there would've likely been a backlash because of the gameplay being a few pegs down.

antitrop

To be fair, the creator himself didn't like the multiplayer mode either, calling it a "cancer" on the overall package. So he wasn't completely happy with how it turned out.

I feel like the multiplayer should have been completely written off in the reviews. Make it very explicitly clear at the beginning of the review that if you have any interest in a new multiplayer military shooter, Spec Ops is not where you should be looking. Then completely ignore it for the rest of the review, but I don't feel like it should negatively impact the overall score of the game. Nobody is buying it for that and nobody cares, it doesn't even count.

aeolist

Banned
Also, lets be honest here - Spec Ops isn't for everyone. Even if they gave it super positive reviews because of the experience factor, there would've likely been a backlash because of the gameplay being a few pegs down.

If this is a consideration reviewers took into account then it is everything that is wrong with game reviews.

I should be able to read a review and know from the text and the reviewer's history whether the things that they say are good and bad would come out the same way for me. People bashing anything that doesn't fall into some kind of supposed critical consensus for a game's quality compared to the non-existent internet hivemind is absolutely insane.

ezekial45

Banned
If this is a consideration reviewers took into account then it is everything that is wrong with game reviews.

I should be able to read a review and know from the text and the reviewer's history whether the things that they say are good and bad would come out the same way for me. People bashing anything that doesn't fall into some kind of supposed critical consensus for a game's quality compared to the non-existent internet hivemind is absolutely insane.

I don't know what their considerations were. Clearly the narrative and experience of it was the forefront, every else was pretty average to good-ish. I would've given like an 8-ish or so if I reviewed it. What I'm saying is that you have to take everything into account.

I feel like the multiplayer should have been completely written off in the reviews. Make it very explicitly clear at the beginning of the review that if you have any interest in a new multiplayer military shooter, Spec Ops is not where you should be looking. Then completely ignore it for the rest of the review, but I don't feel like it should negatively impact the overall score of the game. Nobody is buying it for that and nobody cares, it doesn't even count.

Why? It's a part of the overall product, and it's likely one of the reasons why it was held back for so long. They did extensive beta testings on it, which just pissed off Yager. It's a part of the package, and to completely write it off and otherwise ignore it during a review wouldn't be fair to readers looking to know everything about it. Warts and all.

Look, I know you love the game, but not everyone would've responded to it the same way you would. You can tell them all the great things about it, but if they play it themselves, a number of them would probably lose interest in it because the gameplay is pretty average.

antitrop

Why? It's a part of the overall product, and it's likely one of the reasons why it was held back for so long. They did extensive beta testings on it, which just pissed off Yager. It's a part of the package, and to completely write it off and otherwise ignore it during a review wouldn't be fair to readers looking to know everything about it. Warts and all.

We can go off into a whole other discussion about how much "bullshit" (Spec Ops dev's words, not mine) it is to hamfist a tacked-on multiplayer component into a primarily single player game just for a bullet point on the back of the box.

I feel bad for the developers (industry wide) that are forced to waste their time on such things, it's a waste of resources that can be better used to enhance what matters about the game. Hopefully the Spec Ops DOA multiplayer component can be a learning experience for publishers who force the hands of devs to include such drivel.

Wait, that explains why he loves RE 6 over Spec Ops. He doesn't want Spec Ops to be successful because then more games will be lke it. We'll be taking away his dudebro hero fantasy shooters! Don't take them away!

This is the most provocative military thing I've played since Cannon Fodder. Makes other military shooter narratives look like discarded Clancy stories.

sonicmj1

He never even reached the white phosphorous scene. His loathing comes entirely from things he's heard about the game from other people.

That's what's so incredible about it.

Heh, that's funny. Regenerating health has been so standardized that I didn't even think of it as a videogamey part of the game. lol
That and drugs that can instantly cure any wounds on your downed guys.

Still, dead is dead. It's not like the ammo disappears if you just let a guy die or if you kill him "normally" with your gun.

It's Schrodinger's ammunition. You can't know how much there is to take until after they've died!

Oh yeah, I forgot there are supposed to be multiple ones.
Anyway I got up Konrad and turns out he's dead and Walker's been craAaAaAazy this whole time and I shot myself the end

Is the main thing that bothered you
the twist that Konrad was dead the entire time
? Because I also think that was pretty unnecessary, and kind of silly.

antitrop

This is the most provocative military thing I've played since Cannon Fodder. Makes other military shooter narratives look like discarded Clancy stories.
Which is hilarious to me, because the very first Spec Ops game was a trash-bin also-ran to Tom Clancy' Rainbow Six in the late 90's.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think an important aspect of Spec Ops that doesn't get enough attention is the evolving dialogue throughout the game, as well as the evolving aggression.

I'm sure many just breezed right through the game and didn't even really notice the way Walker's execution animations subtly change throughout the game. At first it's somewhat human, snapping their neck swiftly or putting a bullet in their head, but by the end of the game when Walker has completely lost it his execution moves become savage and brutal. Repeatedly smashing the enemy's head into the ground while letting out animalistic sounds. Or even worse jamming the muzzle of the rifle all the way into the enemy soldier's mouse and watching as the muffled soldier frantically screams for help while waving his arms, only to be put down. Fucking brutal.

The soundtrack adds to this as well, with such songs as "Hush" and other popular classic rock songs (evokes Apocalypse Now), but the end of the game has notably more subdued, serene, depressing music that goes a long way in showing you just how far the character have fallen.

I will argue that Nolan North does a better job with Capt. Walker than he does with Nathan Drake. Drake is often one of the most criticized game characters in terms of his happy-go-lucky attitude towards danger and death. Though the game is profanity-laden, it becomes far more angry and depraved at the very end, and especially after the most key moment of the game. I think as much praise that can be put on the game can be put on North's performance as well. Walker goes from telling his squadmates "Kill confirmed" at the beginning of the game to "HE'S FUCKING DEAD" or "Kill is fucking confirmed" and worse at the end of the game is pretty cool to me, I really appreciate that. Towards the end of the game North does a fantastic job in sounding very tired, very weary, and very much like someone who has been through some shit. Overall, I guess I would just say that Spec Ops has better character development than pretty much everything else out there; it's also something I would like to see from more games in the future and I'm fascinated to see more games like this on the next generation of consoles. Could be some pretty wild stuff on there, I can't wait.
Regarding what you said about the executions, one part that has stuck with me is
when Walker hallucinates killing Adams. He brutally blows his head off with the butt of his rifle, causing his partners to tell him "Wow, you really destroyed him!" or something similar. That moment shows his mind going insane, making him extremely violent.

antitrop

Regarding what you said about the executions, one part that has stuck with me is
when Walker hallucinates killing Adams. He brutally blows his head off with the butt of his rifle, causing his partners to tell him "Wow, you really destroyed him!" or something similar. That moment shows his mind going insane, making him extremely violent.
The hallucination is Walker taking out his anger and frustration with his squad mates.

Then Lugo and Adams swing on on the zipline and say "What the fuck did you do, Walker?".

Sojgat

You'll notice that any moment like this is preceded by a brief flash of white, where walker is shown to be slightly disoriented. Keeping that in mind look for the moments when this occurs before sequences
which you wouldn't have even considered as being hallucinatory events

I cant fight it anymore...Im buying this game on PSN right now to find out what all the hullabaloo is about. Ive managed to stay spoiler free for this ending ya'll are talking about. Too much chatter about this game to not be in the know.

undrtakr900

OH shit I wish I didn't read this thread now. I have the demo on my harddrive but never got around to it because I thought it was just another COD clone. But all this "controversy" talk has now intrigued me to play it, except now the main plotline and ending is spoiled because I read the OP.

You guys recommend me still playing?

Sojgat

OH shit I wish I didn't read this thread now. I have the demo on my harddrive but never got around to it because I thought it was just another COD clone. But all this "controversy" talk has now intrigued me to play it, except now the main plotline and ending is spoiled because I read the OP.

You guys recommend me still playing?

Ending is not spoiled really by the OP. Some people still don't fully understand the ending(s), and there are multiple interpretations (you might not get the final reveal until you've played a 2nd time).

It's still very much worth playing.

undrtakr900

Ending is not spoiled really by the OP. Some people still don't fully understand the ending(s), and there are multiple interpretations (you might not get the final reveal until you've played a 2nd time).

It's still very much worth playing.
Okay then, I guess I'll check it out. Maybe it'll be one of those things where you know the destination but still enjoy the journey there.

The spoiler part I was specifically talking about was the whole
"You are the bad guy"
part. Now that's all I'm going to be thinking about as I play.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You'll notice that any moment like this is preceded by a brief flash of white, where walker is shown to be slightly disoriented. Keeping that in mind look for the moments when this occurs before sequences
which you wouldn't have even considered as being hallucinatory events
Is that real? I hadn't noticed that at all! Now I definitely need to replay the game, to check every little detail I may have missed on my first playthrough.

The hallucination is Walker taking out his anger and frustration with his squad mates.

Then Lugo and Adams swing on on the zipline and say "What the fuck did you do, Walker?".
But why is he frustrated with them? He's the one who put them through that hell, who "turned them into fucking killers". He has no one to blame but himself, and his decaying mind.

aeolist

Banned
Okay then, I guess I'll check it out. Maybe it'll be one of those things where you know the destination but still enjoy the journey there.

The spoiler part I was specifically talking about was the whole
"You are the bad guy"
part. Now that's all I'm going to be thinking about as I play.

That's not really an ending spoiler so much as something that slowly becomes obvious over the course of the game and starting not too far in, and is more like the entire theme the game explores more than any one moment.

aeolist

Banned
But why is he frustrated with them? He's the one who put them through that hell, who "turned them into fucking killers". He has no one to blame but himself, and his decaying mind.

Because he sees himself as the hero and his actions as just. He's shifted responsibility for all his actions onto Konrad and the squad's justified complaints only serve to push him further into his psychotic break.

Ok, admittedly, I really, really liked Spec Ops and I played it multiple times. Trying to finish hard and then I will tackle FUBAR. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year. When I first downloaded the demo, I thought it was going to be another generic, predictable war game. I was very wrong. I ended up playing the demo over and over again because for soem reason, I was intrigued by it. Then again, I am a sucker for third-person shooters in general. Very interesting and unique story for it's genre, great music, memorable characters(Nolan North did an amazing job imo), multiple endings, good gameplay even if it is sort of standard but it was responsive and the shooting felt satisying. Personally, I thought the game oozed with style and it is what I considered as a "cool" war/military game. It even got sort of emotional at some parts. I loved it when I was blasting enemies and the witty and funny radioman/DJ started talking and playing a song while I was in combat. Little touches like that imo were a nice touch, but pretty cool imo. I liked the characters, it really made you think and went places where I haven't seen games go before. Powerful stuff. The profanity was wow.....excessive, but overall I feel the game is severely underrated.

Top Bottom