• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars The Old Republic - I've never so wrongly judged a game in my life

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Warning: long as fuck post incoming

This goes back a few months really but since it's an MMO I don't think it's fair to write about it until you've given every aspect of the game a fair shot.

I initially jumped into SWTOR after Wildstar failed to grab my attention and originally I jokingly downloaded it as a "lol everyone said this was supposed to be horrible I'll look at it and get a good chuckle out of it" type thing, since it was F2P after all.

Boy was I wrong, it only took me about 2 hours to realize that there was something here I had wrongly been ignoring for over 2 years now. I can't speak for how this game was at launch, but what I've been playing since May is a lot of fun. All that business about how the game blew it's 200mil budget on voice acting is completely worth it if you ask me, even just accepting a normal quest is a little dialogue convo where you feel like you're engaging with the story line in a more meaningful way than "accept quest". It doesn't amount to much most of the time but it does help you get into character more if that's your thing.

The game always seems to go out of its way to add more flavor and superfluous things into the environment which is something I absolutely adore. So many times I'll be doing a dungeon or something and I'll look out the windows of the space station or starship I'm in and see a full fledged battle going on out side. It's little touches like that that didn't really need to be there but are.

Within these environments you'll find an odd thing for an MMO interactive objects you can use in combat like the explodable canisters you can interact with to create a smoke screen (CC), electrical bursts (Damage), toxic gas (DoT), or of course a big boom (knock down massive damage). It's just really fun to see a door explode see a bunch of droids rush at you but out of the corner of your eye you see a nice red canister sitting right next to them, so you pop it and watch robot bits fly.

Speaking of combat, the thing that I noticed about SWTOR right off the bat was how rare it was to be fighting a single enemy, most of your battles even while soloing are against packs, it's exciting and keeps things fresh. It also feels more demanding since you've really gotta know your way around your abilities to survive at times, knowing how to approach a pull, what to CC what to kill first and what companion to use.

The companion system is something I thought I would utterly despise at first because I hate "pet classes" in MMOs and the companion system essentially makes everyone a pet class. However companions are a lot of fun, because they're gained through story progress each have a personality and are generally really low maintenance, they just kind of do their own thing in combat and it's rare to need to micro manage them, keeping their gear up to date isn't even that difficult, just throw them quest reward greens or whatever scraps you find along the way and they'll perform decently (until max level where you'll probably want to get them legit gear).

The story is what this games big draw is, now I'm not generally the worlds biggest story dude in games, but this one was a lot of fun. It gave you motivations for where you had to go next and a nice little over arching set of objectives in addition to the planetary quest line objectives. But it's exciting to be sent out on a mission across the galaxy and wind up on a planet for a specific purpose. Having finished both the Jedi Knight story and the Jedi Consular one it was super cool being on the same planet on my second character but for a completely different reason. Also it was also cool seeing themes that carry over between the stories but have more emphasis on one than the other, it really gives you this feeling of an interconnected story that's developing all around you and each person is just going on their own path, really neat stuff.

There is just so much stuff in this game, Galactic Starfighter is basically a star wars themed War Thunder built right into this game. The space ship missions while not very deep / not much content there are a fun little rail shooter mini game you can do to pass the time. You can spend your time following through on your companions story lines building rep with them, doing dailies for money, all sorts of dungeons. Then there are the raids in this game, story mode is really fun, it's just easy enough that you can pug is but just challenging enough that you have to know the fights and what you're doing. The encounter design in this game is really unique, with fights that feel more like long events, and some slightly more traditional ones.

Crew skills are fun, they're basically the professions of this game but they're managed from your crew window, you basically put your companions to work, send them on gathering missions, on other errands, or put them to work crafting stuff. What's cool is having high levels in certain professions unlocks shortcuts during dungeons. Like if you have high level scavenging, you can fix this laser drill that opens up a cave leading you directly to the boss ignoring 8 or so trash pulls.

Speaking of the dungeons, they're amazing. I think the first one sets the tone perfectly for what you should expect out of them. They're like a mini mission built into the game. Where you fly to a specific location, sent there by the republic, the jedi order or whoever, and it has its own mini story line, there are conversations to uncover what is going on here, choices to make and nice cutscenes. You know the opening sequence of KOTOR1 where you wake up on the ship without your memory and you go through like a 30 minute long sequence trying to escape and running into enemies and allies along the way? Think of that and make it less like a tutorial and you've got the basic idea for how these dungeons operate, they're a lot of fun.

One of the more unique fights I saw was this one encounter that required you to sneak around a small city in a certain time limit, divide your group up into teams of 2 and you would each split up and take out an objective then meet sneak past the super powered guard droids and escape infiltrate the boss chamber.

Finally pvp, for those of you that played WoW this games pvp reminds me a lot of early Cataclysm era pvp with WotLK era numbers, but in a good way, healers are stong so you've got to gang up on them to finish em, CC is everywhere but not RNG and mostly short so you need to plan around it, and some classes have insane burst at their disposal which really makes 1v1s tense. There is also very minimal self healing outside of certain long defensive cool downs for most classes that don't have a healing talent, which is great because when damage is done it sticks, it feels good.

One of the bigger criticisms were that your choices don't matter but that's not something I found at all, characters I spared when I could have killed them came back to help me later on, or characters I killed were mentioned mournfully by their friends. Having unrealistic expectations of one characters actions deeply impacting the world in an MMORPG is probably the root of this, but honestly I think the choices help you feel more like you're in control of who your character is than anything, which is really nice.

The biggest issues I take with this game is how empty it can feel and how long it takes for the classes to feel "complete". As for the emptiness, I don't mean it in a there are no players sense, but in a "LOOK AT THIS HUGE FIELD WITH 12 MOBS IN IT" sense. A lot of the open areas are huge as hell but don't feel very populated, the game really shines in starship / space station environments with corridors and stuff.

As for the classes taking forever to feel complete, well it's tricky, a lot of classes don't have a good rotation going for them until they get their level 45 talent which means for a lot of the game you're playing your character and thinking "man something is missing here", because talents affect a lot of your rotation. Since the game has no auto attack it can make things feel weirder until you get all of your skills, or at least the bulk of them. Hell the Jedi Knight doesn't even get the iconic "saber throw" until level 36 and force push till like 28. So that can make characters feel weird, especially since once you get all your skills the combat dynamic changes a lot, most classes don't really a spam attack but rather a series of attacks you do, it's cool as melee because it feels like you're putting together a string of slashes into a big combo with a pay off at the end.

Another issue I have is that the game is a little bit buggy, mods die standing up, getting stuck in geometry happens occasionally your UI can disappear between load screens. The game gives you ways to deal with the bugs but they're still there and keep the game from feeling really polished, though I'd still say it is one of the more polished MMO's I've played.

My final issue with it, well I don't know how much of an issue it is, is that there is no compatibility for UI mods, while damage meters and DPS tracking are available through desktop programs you have to run in the background I kind of like that I know everyone has the same limitations, not to mention the built in UI editor is really powerful. Still though it is lacking some rather basic features like, having your debuffs against a boss be highlighted, simple methods for DoT / Proc tracking and the ability to hide portraits in your unit frames.

Also the game isn't cross server, which affects queue times for PvE content at times but I kind of like it for pvp, having familiar faces, knowing the pros from the scrubs in each warzone is nice. You end up getting to know the hard core pvpers are forming friendships with them or rivalries with imp scum you see on the other side. It creates community by just making you play with the same bunch of people all the time. It's nice, you end up feeling like you have to respect everyone or get screwed over later whenever you're looking for a group in general chat on the fleet.

Honestly, this game blew me away, I haven't felt this attached to an MMO in a long time it's the first MMO since I started (stopped) playing WoW that I've even bothered to level cap on...and I've done so twice in SWTOR. I started out as a F2P but ended up subbing around level 38, because I was just having such a great time.

As a long time fan of KOTOR I can see how this game was not the game fans of those games were expecting, but as a fan of KOTOR and MMOs I think SWTOR is great.

So yeah, what do you guys think of SWTOR? Did you hate it originally? I'm curious as to what it was like at first to make everyone hate it so much. I have a theory that it was just people expecting the game to be not an MMO and just KOTOR. Or people giving up around level 30.

the game ran like ass at launch and inconsistent with memory leaks all over. The controls also didn't feel as slick as wow, i did have my fun though. Only mmo ever that i paid attention to every quest due to the VA.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I bought it at launch, had some fun, but it was so empty...

Yeah it's a problem with mob density and players, I'll look up and see something like [Coruscant 134 people], and be like "really? where is everyone?" I think the problem was their environments are too huge for you to reliably run into people and too huge to fill with enough mobs without it being annoying / stressful on the servers.

the game ran like ass at launch and inconsistent with memory leaks all over. The controls also didn't feel as slick as wow, i did have my fun though. Only mmo ever that i paid attention to every quest due to the VA.

I've heard that but I think that's been mostly fixed, the game runs at a solid 60 fps on most machines now it seems.

LNBL

Awesome game, I still play it.
Though the graphics in this game are strange. I can run Skyrim on ultra settings, but my laptop struggles at low settings for swtor.

Syf

Banned
I originally liked the game because I found the leveling more fun than other MMOs, but the lack of basic features such as a group finder, and the lack of much end-game content made me unsubscribe. Recently returned to give it another try and I'm loving it now. The end-game is much more complete, there's loads of ways to customize your character with adaptive armoring and dyes, some really cool mounts to get, and even housing coming soon. Very happy with the game these days. Bioware has done a good job improving it.

ferr

I liked it at first, but if iirc I started to not like it after leaving the initial planet. I think it sent you to a pretty desolate hub- felt very unpolished and empty.

I did notice they're adding player owned homes (or something), which kind of interested me. I don't know if I have the time for it these days, though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I originally liked the game because I found the leveling more fun than other MMOs, but the lack of basic features such as a group finder, and the lack of much end-game content made me unsubscribe. Recently returned to give it another try and I'm loving it now. The end-game is much more complete, there's loads of ways to customize your character with adaptive armoring and dyes, some really cool mounts to get, and even housing coming soon. Very happy with the game these days. Bioware has done a good job improving it.

Oh wow I had no idea that group finder was a recent addition, and yeah I like how many ways there are to progress your character now / non combat things to do. The leveling is a lot of fun since it feels like a CO-OP RPG when played with friends. Group conversations with your part are really fun.

SWTORs customizable armor is seriously one of the coolest things ever done, swapping out mods and keeping other mods based on what stats you need is cool, it's also cool that you can just keep upgrading the same armor pieces throughout the game so you can keep your "look".

Murtrod

This game was seriously underrated, but the subscription fee is what kept me from coming back. And with their new system (subscribe for best content possible), I just can't do it.

It really was a decent game. The writing was excellent and as mentioned above me, the VA was very strong for an MMO. It just had stale and generic mechanics that I very easily tire of over the course of a week or two in any MMO. But it wasn't a bad game by any means.

Novoitus

Banned
I enjoyed it enough to get to level 50/finish my Sith Inquisitors story line. Loved it through that.

Any other class stories worth playing through like that?

Draxal

Leveling was fun for the most part great. They really didn't think of way to conceptualize an end game for a story based mmorpg and underestimated how fast the early adapters will burn through content.

I enjoyed it enough to get to level 50/finish my Sith Inquisitors story line. Loved it through that.

Inquisitor is considered one of the worst class storylines (along with Jedi Consular). The thing is that even if you play another imp class, there's alot of repeat quests due to them being planetary and not class based.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

The Jedi Knight story was amazing fun, the republic trooper one also looked great since it's basically a revenge story, I'd suggest playing the trooper darkside though. Sith inquisitor looked really fun but I never finished it really, I just leveled one up for the HK-51 quest line. The intro part on the korriban academy was some of the best dark humor though. It felt like Sith Hogwarts where failure means the teacher kills you.

Jedi Consular, while shadow is probably one of my favorite classes was not a very engaging story.

I actually want to try this but their f2p system is such a turn-off.

The F2P system isn't bad at all if you just wanna experience the story, I would suggest spending 5 bucks to gain preferred status though. It gives you a ton of bonuses just for being pref over F2P.

Inquisitor is considered one of the worst class storylines (along with Jedi Consular). The thing is that even if you play another imp class, there's alot of repeat quests due to them being planetary and not class based.

Yeah but that's why you just space bar your way past plantary quests and enjoy the class ones :p

Moaradin

The Imperial Agent storyline is pretty amazing. It's probably the most well written and unique Star Wars storyline that I've seen in years. I really want to get back into the game and play some of the other class stories.

Draxal

The Imperial Agent storyline is pretty amazing. It's probably the most well written and unique star wars storyline that I've seen in years. I really want to get back into the game and play some of the other class stories.

TBT, none of the other class story lines compares to it, should have saved the best for last!

Ocho

I should've made this post. My feelings exactly. I also downloaded expecting a bad game and subbed after 2 hours of gameplay. I continue to have a lot of fun doing the story line missions. I can't stand an MMO without proper voice acting, now.

Moaradin

TBT, none of the other class story lines compares to it, should have saved the best for last!

Did they ever follow up on continuing the class stories with the expansions? I remember Imperial Agent having some potential for a continuation.

TheYanger

Eh, it was never a 'bad' game, but the levelling experience is SOOOO different from the endgame experience. Levelling experience was super super good. Once you've done the dungeons and raids once though (maybe a few times for dungeons to see different paths) you feel pretty done with the game. Levelling alts always sucked because although the main story missions per class are REALLY neat, the tediousness of every other quest in the game really shows through. Any quest that isn't your class story quest, your choices have 0 impact on, which feels cheap.

Absolutely a game worth playing through once.

(oh, and the consistency from story to story isn't there, some are vastly more interesting which is a shame since rolling alts sucks).

Draxal

Did they ever follow up on continuing the class stories with the expansions? I remember Imperial Agent having some potential for a continuation.

No it's just planetary missions for Makeb. Makeb is a really good planetary story though (like Thana Vesh good). The guy who did the Agent storyline left Bioware a while back.

Eh, it was never a 'bad' game, but the levelling experience is SOOOO different from the endgame experience. Levelling experience was super super good. Once you've done the dungeons and raids once though (maybe a few times for dungeons to see different paths) you feel pretty done with the game. Levelling alts always sucked because although the main story missions per class are REALLY neat, the tediousness of every other quest in the game really shows through. Any quest that isn't your class story quest, your choices have 0 impact on, which feels cheap.

Absolutely a game worth playing through once.

(oh, and the consistency from story to story isn't there, some are vastly more interesting which is a shame since rolling alts sucks).

You can skip doing non class based storyline with all the other ways of leveling (GSF/PVP), plus the xp boosts. They never resolved the end game issue.

unbias

The game is amazing, right up until you hit cap. Still, the game class stories are good enough to justify having quie a few alts so it works out, honestly.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I should've made this post. My feelings exactly. I also downloaded expecting a bad game and subbed after 2 hours of gameplay. I continue to have a lot of fun doing the story line missions. I can't stand an MMO without proper voice acting, now.

Haha yeah, this is how it tends to go honestly, I even managed to convince two of my friends to switch with me and we've had a blast so far. If only we had one more we could have a full group.

Unfortunately no, the expansion only seemed to add a planetary story line that every one sees.

The game is amazing, right up until you hit cap. Still, the game class stories are good enough to justify having quie a few alts so it works out, honestly.

I actually like the game at cap decently enough, there is a lot to do, but the biggest thing is that at max level is when the game becomes an MMO while the leveling experience is just an RPG basically.

Speaking of which I think what's great about this game is the pay model. Since you can just play the game free if you decide you won't have enough time to play it very much in the future you can just unsub but that doesn't mean you can't play at all. You can still log in once or twice a week to play warzones or do your dailies and stuff. Sure you've got to deal with the restrictions but it's better than in most MMOs where you can't play at all when you're not subbed.

ChuckNyce

I enjoyed my 60+ hours or so I played of it around launch. I ended up moving onto other things and have yet to go back, but aside from my system performing horribly during PVP matches, I thought it was a great experience. Never really understood all the hate it got (granted I never even made it to end game content so maybe that was part of the issue).

IIRC, the first expansion added one main story arc that contained some class-specific dialogue/moments, but mostly was the same class to class. It added a lot more, of course, but the "big story content" for the expansion was a consolidated one, not one for each class.

Miletius

It was a lot more fun than people give it credit for -- but, it's really only fun if you have a group to play with to me. So, once my group dropped it I did too. I really enjoy dungeons and raids, it's a shame that my group is not really playing MMO's anymore.

Nokterian

I bought it at launch, had some fun, but it was so empty...

Yup bought this motherfucker for 150 euro's and paid another 50 euro's a top of it with 90 days.

The-Old-Republic-collectors-edition-displayed.jpg

And then i was done after less then 2 months of playing couldn't care anymore and yeah the world or worlds feel empty no atmosphere.

Thought it was a bad game when it launched, but because i'm a sucker who plays MMOs anyway I was gonna get my money's worth

Jedi Knight storyline was awful and I started a bounty hunter just to get as far away from that shit as possible. quit that after 25 levels or so

ship missions were about as unfun as they could possibly make them, too

jumped back in after it was f2p, took one look at my f2p options

saw korean MMO f2p design and was out. Dont care if I can get to 50 without paying, I couldn't believe the shit they were pulling

They want me to pay them money to hide my helmet?

BDP

Neo Member
Is the game playable with a controller? A friend of mine bought it when it first came out and gave me the game a few months after because they couldn't get in to it. I loved the KOTOR series but just haven't mustered up the energy to dig my keyboard and mouse out.

Yup bought this motherfucker for 150 euro's and paid another 50 euro's a top of it with 90 days.

The-Old-Republic-collectors-edition-displayed.jpg

And then i was done after less then 2 months of playing couldn't care anymore and yeah the world or worlds feel empty no atmosphere.

I feel your pain. I was so psyched and so hyped.

Girlfriend and I quit like two months down the line.

Bog

Junior Ace
I played my character's story in essentially "single player" the whole time and really dug it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
jumped back in after it was f2p, took one look at my f2p options

saw korean MMO f2p design and was out. Dont care if I can get to 50 without paying, I couldn't believe the shit they were pulling

They want me to pay them money to hide my helmet?

The F2P features are there for those who just want to try the game out for the class story, not to play an MMO. They're not remotely pay2win, just pay2lookcoolerthantheotherguy.

Though I agree, hiding helm is a bit over board. But they're giving you a shit ton for free so it's kinda hard to complain.

Is the game playable with a controller? A friend of mine bought it when it first came out and gave me the game a few months after because they couldn't get in to it. I loved the KOTOR series but just haven't mustered up the energy to dig my keyboard and mouse out.

Too many abilities to play with a control, if you ask me. I don't think it's even possible.

I played this for 20ish hours when it came out, had some fun.

Wouldn't mind going back to try the Imperial Agent Storyline... How does the F2P stuff work? Can you just download the game and play for free with no credit card?

unbias

I actually like the game at cap decently enough, there is a lot to do, but the biggest thing is that at max level is when the game becomes an MMO while the leveling experience is just an RPG basically.

Now it is, at the time there wasnt much there. Also, imo, the leveling up gameplay/story is so decidedly different then the end game stuff that I think it creates it's own problems. I would have much prefered if they focused on story content, specific to the class after cap, personally, and made the game focused more around a small party. But that's just me.

I agree with you though, outside of WoW(and FFXIV) imo it is the most enjoyable mmo out there.

Everything is playable with a controller if you buy Pinnacle Game Profiler. Well worth it.

As a Mass Effect addict, do you think this game will be right for me?

TheYanger

ehh, they lock a LOT of basic shit out without paying. I mean it took a ton of backlash to get them to realize making you buy action bars was an awful idea (and the best part, when it first went F2P and I said that was terrible, the fanboys all screamed that I was bad if I wanted to use more than 12 hotkeys, despite having like 25 abilities. Shit was insane).

The money caps and bank caps and inventory caps are pretty brutal if you don't spend into it (though it's also fairly affordable to buy these things off of the auction house to be totally fair, at least seemed that way to me, but I came back to the game with like a million credits too).

All told, every time I've played since launch (which is a few times since F2P), I've had the same basic feeling: This is a game totally worth playing, maybe a few times, to 50. And then that's it. Try the 50 content, exhaust it, that won't take you long. Do some huttball cause it's the best pvp battleground of that scale ever made.

Everything is playable with a controller if you buy Pinnacle Game Profiler. Well worth it.

As a Mass Effect addict, do you think this game will be right for me?

Don't expect decisions remotely on that level. Remember, it's an MMO. Nothing you do can affect other people. Your personal story will sometimes have big decisions, but at the end of the day you won't ever be like, earning or losing different companions, causing planets to die off, etc. Nothing big, ever. They do a good job with what they've got access too though.

Examples of the sort of jarring inability to change things: On my alt Jedi Knight, I decided to go fully 'dark' and be as much of a bitch as possible to everyone except for my loyal T4 droid. The second companion you get is...some girl I forget. Kira? not important.

Anyway, I was a RAGING cunt to her at every opportunity, constantly told her she didn't belong with me and she would never see the outside of the ship as long as I was in charge, stuff like that. But at the end of the day because she's a companion and you CANNOT have her be anything but a companion, despite them allowing me to make these dialogue choices, she would ALWAYS still be like "Hey want me to come along with you?" as cheerily as possible until I shot her down. My character had to constantly have contrivances from the jedi council about why we had to remain together, etc. It was very unbelievable. If you follow the stories in ways that they ancitipate they work much better, but your freedom is rarely important.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
btw which server are you on, op?

The Bastion - Pub Side.

I gotta gank :p

I played this for 20ish hours when it came out, had some fun.

Wouldn't mind going back to try the Imperial Agent Storyline... How does the F2P stuff work? Can you just download the game and play for free with no credit card?

Yeah you can just play it, you'll have a founders title and some other bonus stuff I think, the F2P restrictions aren't bad if you just wanna play solo / see the story. But I'd suggest spending 5 to be preferred, so you have less bull to deal with.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The money caps and bank caps and inventory caps are pretty brutal if you don't spend into it (though it's also fairly affordable to buy these things off of the auction house to be totally fair, at least seemed that way to me, but I came back to the game with like a million credits too).

Don't expect decisions remotely on that level. Remember, it's an MMO. Nothing you do can affect other people. Your personal story will sometimes have big decisions, but at the end of the day you won't ever be like, earning or losing different companions, causing planets to die off, etc. Nothing big, ever. They do a good job with what they've got access too though.

The money and inventory cap as well as the fact that you can't use a bank without becoming preferred are probably the worst things about the F2P stuff. It's not gonna let you play the game in its entirety but if you look at it as a game demo it's not bad.

The decisions impact your story decently but some classes do have those huge OH SHIT moments like on consular
if you choose the dark side option and crash the ship into the moon you screw up the tides on the planet and flood the whole planet killing billions

Obviously it's not on a playable planet but your decisions feel decently enough, I always feel like the choices are more for RP purpose than actual gameplay purpose you know? It's character building not game building. I like it for what it is.

Xiaoki

It has improved a LOT since launch.

The level 55 raids are pretty good. Some of the bosses are a little gimmicky and take like 15 minutes to do.

Moaradin

I actually liked some of the endgame raids early on. I only played during the first 5-6 months so I don't know how it is now, but some of the boss encounters were pretty cool. Lots of puzzle type bosses instead of the traditional style.

espher

The money/inventory stuff was what turned me off of F2P, and the meh end game turned me off when I played it closer to launch.

One of the best 1-to-level-cap experiences I ever had on a few classes, though.

There was also something extremely fun about playing a Miraluka Sniper (as garbage as that class was at the time) and dominating PvP instances. :p

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I actually liked some of the endgame raids early on. I only played during the first 5-6 months so I don't know how it is now, but some of the boss encounters were pretty cool. Lots of puzzle type bosses instead of the traditional style.

There are still a ton of puzzle style bosses, it's really fun. Even their more traditional bosses are more interesting than you'd think like in one of the ops that's basically a casino kingpin take over.

You gotta fight against some gamblers first, then you gotta steal the credit chip and place a bet on blue once 8 people have bet on blue you win the jackpot and the guy gets mad floods the chamber with gas, then you gotta take the secret elevator to the lower floor before you die hack his shields, fight his waves of droids and then finally fight him.

There was also something extremely fun about playing a Miraluka Sniper (as garbage as that class was at the time) and dominating PvP instances. :p

Lol a blind sniper, perfect.

Top Bottom