• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars The Old Republic - I've never so wrongly judged a game in my life

Syf

Banned
I actually liked some of the endgame raids early on. I only played during the first 5-6 months so I don't know how it is now, but some of the boss encounters were pretty cool. Lots of puzzle type bosses instead of the traditional style.
I love the newer ones. The Oricon Dread Fortress and Dread Palace raids are fun, and Scum & Villainy has some interesting fights but my favorite is still Terror From Beyond. Not sure if you were around for that one but it's worth a play.

Moaradin

I love the newer ones. The Oricon Dread Fortress and Dread Palace raids are fun, and Scum & Villainy has some interesting fights but my favorite is still Terror From Beyond. Not sure if you were around for that one but it's worth a play.

Terror from Beyond was actually the last one to come out before I quit. I think I did it at least once.

Can any experienced SWTOR players comment on the economy? As someone who thought very highly of KOTOR, the main reason I never bothered with SWTOR (apart from the reputedly threadbare endgame at launch and the likelihood of it going free-to-play in short order), the main thing that deterred me from it was that the Galactic Trade Network seemed to be an afterthought. The main appeal for WoW for me at level cap, after I had my fill of raiding, was playing it as a price-jacking auction-house tycoon, and in that respect it didn't look as though SWTOR had much to offer. Was I wrong?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Can any experienced SWTOR players comment on the economy? As someone who thought very highly of KOTOR, the main reason I never bothered with SWTOR (apart from the reputedly threadbare endgame at launch and the likelihood of it going free-to-play in short order), the main thing that deterred me from it was that the Galactic Trade Network seemed to be an afterthought. The main appeal for WoW for me at level cap, after I had my fill of raiding, was playing it as a price-jacking auction-house tycoon, and in that respect it didn't look as though SWTOR had much to offer. Was I wrong?

There is definitely a lot of ways to play as a "Hutt Cartel" mastermind in this game. You can easily exploit the prices of certain things people are always going to need more of like MK-9 augment kits, 156 mods and 148 augs.

A freshly leveled 55 is going to need about 1.2mil worth of augments and augment kits. The weirdest thing about the GTN is that you can't bid you can only buy out. Which has its ups and downs.

Most servers have very stable economies, the only items that are weirdly prices are legacy items that aren't going to be available after a while because the market gets flooded with them at first so their prices sink to nothing, but give it a few months for the stuff to be embargoed and their prices should shoot way up (provided the gear looked cool)

Though keep in mind you're not really gonna be able to play the GTN very much on a non subbed account due to the credit cap restrictions.

Syf

Banned
Can't really comment on other servers, but it seems like on Harbinger the market has opened up a lot. Especially with cartel market items being tradeable there's a lot of opportunity for buying low and selling high.

I'm gonna say that Bioware has definitely addressed the complaints about lack of end game content. Also the time and cost put into all the voice acting was well worth it. I'd go as far to say that it has ruined me for other MMO's. I tried the FF14 beta and I just could not give a fuck about any of the story parts that they tried to convey through text dialogue, and also anime voice actor dialogue, which there wasn't that much of but still.

That being said if you're interested in seriously putting some time into swtor, then I'd recommend buying a 60 day time card and going with that. The F2P parts are so heavily restricted that you almost have to, to enjoy the game after level 10-15.

aka_bueno

I was REALLY hoping this game would suck me in because of how big a SW nut I am.

Loved the voice acting and how the questing felt important, but everything else about the game felt like a dated version of WoW. And even then, most of the time the dialogue tree decisions just felt like fluff and didn't have much overall impact on anything. But still, the voice acting added a lot of immersion.

Shame the rest of the game was just meh (to me). And Hero engine... I still wonder what it could have been if it didn't use a modified Hero engine.

At launch, it just was just a very generic and by the numbers MMO (aside from the voice over'd questing). End game was a joke, and it just wasn't that good to be honest. But I'm glad that it seems to have gotten better and that it's transition to F2P has at least made it profitable (right?). I tried playing it again during the Wildstar beta, but it failed to capture me again, I think it was the still empty world feeling and combat that killed it for me.

Ok so this thread convinced me to take a peek at the game. I haven't played since shortly after launch, although I was playing the beta as early as like 2 years before it came out.

What does someone who hasn't played since before the change to free2play need to know?

Arrrammis

I played SWTOR for quite a while, maybe a year, and I keep running into the same problem that pulls me away: you are forced to do hours and hours of "Kill X enemies" or "retrieve (item) that enemy drops" type side quests or buy premium time in order to be able to keep up with the difficulty of enemies in the main story line. I wish that I would be able to play through the main story, even if it is more difficult, without the absolute need to spend time running around doing the exact same 45 minute long sidequest that I have done 3 or 4 other times (all republic classes have the same world sidequests, same for the Empire). I have gotten extremely interested in some of the stories, (Imperial Agent, Sith acolyte, Jedi knight), but then I am forced to push the next story mission to the side for an hour or two so that I can actually damage the enemies in said mission. The story telling is fantastic, but I just wish that I could play through the story without so much of the fluff.

Top Bottom