• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Steins;Gate ~ The tears fell—but not for the reasons I expected (SPOILERS/Pics)

Sora_N

Hmm, this has me thinking. Should I watch the anime so soon after finishing the game? I'm craving more Steins;Gate right now, but maybe I'd enjoy it more if some time has passed...

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do something similar?

I'm gonna take a break before watching the anime again and the ova/movies personally, but I keep thinking about S;G a lot still lol.

kozi_1200

Amazing writitng OP, the feels came back, it's definetly one of my all time favourites. By the way, are you looking forward to Steins;Gate 0? To be honest, I didn't know 0 existed, OP just made me curious to look up a few things about Steins;Gate. Has anyone played it? I guess it's out in Japan

Wichu

Amazing writitng OP, the feels came back, it's definetly one of my all time favourites. By the way, are you looking forward to Steins;Gate 0? To be honest, I didn't know 0 existed, OP just made me curious to look up a few things about Steins;Gate. Has anyone played it? I guess it's out in Japan
The S;G translator said he thought it was better than the first game. Get hype.

Andrefpvs

Thank you! I am 100% looking forward to S;G0. I hope it can come out here ASAP :)

The S;G translator said he thought it was better than the first game. Get hype.

Oh! This reminds me, I wanted to mention the wonderful translation in my opening post, but I forgot. The game covers so many fields, it can't have been an easy task.

Also, S;G0 better than the first game? o_O

0rri0QJ.gif

Andrefpvs

Apologies for the minibump, but:

FH2fMqZl.jpg

Yay!
It's finally here! Really looking forward to watching this, will be interesting to see the characters in motion!

Should I also do a LTTP after I finish the anime? Haha, just kidding :)

FH2fMqZl.jpg

Yay!
It's finally here! Really looking forward to watching this, will be interesting to see the characters in motion!

You have the movie on that Blu Ray ?

cj_iwakura

FH2fMqZl.jpg

Yay!

Wow, didn't know it got a Huke art version. Guess the VN success is real.

Lusankya

Ah, Steins;Gate is so good. It really takes a while to get going, but then it keeps on delivering.
I can admit that many tears were shed during the course of the game. In the end I was really glad that there is a "good" ending.

Andrefpvs

Too bad for the movie :/ Well I'm sure you'll find a way to watch it ;p

Also I think you have the OVA, since Steins;Gate has 24 episode (http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate?q=stei )
Yeah, that collection includes the OVA.

That's great news!

So, I just watched episodes 1-8 (just before Faris sends her D-Mail). Good stuff! Something I've noticed is that the anime makes it more obvious from the start that there is something "off" about Moeka and Suzuha other than their social behaviours. Especially the scene where Moeka asks Okabe if he is FB. In the VN, it was a throwaway email. In the anime, they directed that scene to make it stand out.

I'm getting closer to the good parts. Can't wait to see how they adapted those!

cj_iwakura

That's great news!

So, I just watched episodes 1-8 (just before Faris sends her D-Mail). Good stuff! Something I've noticed is that the anime makes it more obvious from the start that there is something "off" about Moeka and Suzuha other than their social behaviours. Especially the scene where Moeka asks Okabe if he is FB. In the VN, it was a throwaway email. In the anime, they directed that scene to make it stand out.

I'm getting closer to the good parts. Can't wait to see how they adapted those!

The anime is a very good adaptation, especially given the usual impossible task of doing a VN justice.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I wasn't all that impressed with the ending when I got the Suzuha ending my first time through which is Chapter 6 I believe. What a bummer that was.

Then I read there was a hard to miss True Ending, and I went for it and finished the game a few days ago (getting all the other endings along the way).

WOW. This is now my Vita GOTY 2015 no question. I don't think I'd place it above Virtue's Last Reward or Danganronpa 2, but Steins;Gate is definitely one of the best Visual Novels I've played and one of the best stories I've experienced in a game.

Sora_N

I'm thinking of buying the Nendoroid of Kurisu, anyone else have it?

Can't decide if I want the Lab version or the regular, I already have the regular figma.

Don't have the money to pick up both lol.

cj_iwakura

I'm thinking of buying the Nendoroid of Kurisu, anyone else have it?

Can't decide if I want the Lab version or the regular, I already have the regular figma.

Don't have the money to pick up both lol.

Every con I've been to has had all the SG figures vanish. They became super popular when the series blew up.

Sora_N

Every con I've been to has had all the SG figures vanish. They became super popular when the series blew up.

There's a couple on Mandarake, I'm still debating which one. I feel the regular clothes one will be more extinct sooner than the lab coat version, they all seem rare now.

Andrefpvs

Just finished marathoning the rest of the anime series. I didn't watch the OVA yet, but since it appears to be a big shift in tone, I'll leave it for tomorrow.

Quick impressions for episodes 9-24 and the anime in general:

• The first assault on the lab was adapted beautifully. It's pretty much the way I imagined it, and it even matches with my description in the OP. With the atmosphere turning surreal, with the sound becoming muffled, with Okabe viewing things at half speed. Really well done.

• Faris and Luka don't really get enough screen time to make their D-Mail arcs work as well as they did in the VN. In the VN, I was constantly being seduced by Faris, or learning more about Luka's insecurities. Also, we didn't get an anime version of Faris's kickass Rainet match against the Viral Attackers. Disappointed ;_;

• Moeka's beatdown scene. Holy crap! I was afraid they'd censor that scene (by panning the camera or something similar), but are you kidding me? -- Okabe straight up PUNCHES her face in! I don't think that even happened in the VN! Goddamn! The part where Okabe is on top of Moeka was also modified so that instead of silently sobbing, Moeka cries out in despair when she realises FB's betrayal. It was a different approach than the one the VN took, but it also worked quite well, and I'm glad we have these two different takes on the same scene. Moeka's VA was also very good during the entire scene.

• Moeka's murder in the same worldline was changed. Instead of Nae killing her, FB himself did it. I'm guessing they did this for time reasons, but ultimately it changed the meaning of FB's suicide. Instead of it being to protect Nae and Moeka, it ended up being only for Nae. We also didn't see psycho Nae all ;_; Even the scene where she throws Mayuri in front of a train was changed to make it look like she tripped, instead of leaving her intentions ambiguous, like in the VN.

• The anime in general was really well directed. Coming right from the VN, you can clearly see the parts where they purposely didn't stick to the VN's mood because it wouldn't work as well with the flow of the anime. For example, there are a LOT more scenes with no background music in the anime than in the VN. There's also more silent contemplation, as a result of not seeing Okabe's thoughts all the time.

• In conclusion, the anime is a really good adaptation. I can't point out any obvious flaws other than a few scenes that I wish were in or a few others that I would have preferred if they were adapted in a different way (Jellyman Mayuri, c'mon son). I had the story really fresh in my memory, and it was still a great experience. That's a clear indication of how good the anime is.

• The true ending credits scene was left in yeeeesssssss

I hope they can publish the movie over here as well. I'll purchase it right away.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
• Moeka's murder in the same worldline was changed. Instead of Nae killing her, FB himself did it. I'm guessing they did this for time reasons, but ultimately it changed the meaning of FB's suicide. Instead of it being to protect Nae and Moeka, it ended up being only for Nae. We also didn't see psycho Nae all ;_; Even the scene where she throws Mayuri in front of a train was changed to make it look like she tripped, instead of leaving her intentions ambiguous, like in the VN.

Nae killing Moeka was an optional sidepath in the VN. You weren't guaranteed to see it.

Andrefpvs

Nae killing Moeka was an optional sidepath in the VN. You weren't guaranteed to see it.

I'm not sure if there are different versions of the game, but in the Vita version you can only send the D-Mail after Nae kills Moeka. If you don't send it right away, then you get a scene where Nae stabs Okabe and you find out how he dies in the future.

Dryk

Steins;Gate (the anime) was one of the most invested I've been in the interactions between two characters in ages. So much so that the cop-out happyish ending didn't bother me at all.

I remember my reaction in the anime when Mayuri died the first time. I couldn't believe it. The fact that deaths didn't matter at some point is also a thing I noticed when Mr. Braun killed himself. There was a scene where Okabe told Kurisu how deaths didn't matter to him anymore and how he sometimes tried things out just to see how Mayuri would die this time. That scene crushed me.
It makes the part where Mayuri reveals that everyone in that universe retains some knowledge of previous world-lines all the more heartbreaking too.

Andrefpvs

So you are saying Nae kills Mayuri on purpose in that one worldline?

I personally think it was an accident, just like the anime showed. A freak accident due to attractor field convergence. Mayuri had to die at that time, and that was the way the world came up with at that moment.

However, there's no denying that the VN leaves Nae's real intentions as ambiguous. I don't remember if there were any scenes with Nae after the last D-Mail was sent and before Mayuri starts getting killed (the worldline we're talking about). It's also not clear if/when Nae time leaps in that worldline.

I'll keep thinking it was an accident, unless there has been evidence released of the contrary.

ZealousD

I'm not sure if there are different versions of the game, but in the Vita version you can only send the D-Mail after Nae kills Moeka. If you don't send it right away, then you get a scene where Nae stabs Okabe and you find out how he dies in the future.

I played through the vita version myself and I could have sworn I skipped that scene in a later playthrough.

Isn't it the optional branch at the end of Chapter 9 here?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...apter_9.png/revision/latest?cb=20140402005729

cj_iwakura

I personally think it was an accident, just like the anime showed. A freak accident due to attractor field convergence. Mayuri had to die at that time, and that was the way the world came up with at that moment.

However, there's no denying that the VN leaves Nae's real intentions as ambiguous. I don't remember if there were any scenes with Nae after the last D-Mail was sent and before Mayuri starts getting killed (the worldline we're talking about). It's also not clear if/when Nae time leaps in that worldline.

I'll keep thinking it was an accident, unless there has been evidence released of the contrary.

The anime doesn't outright show Nae's true colors, but it hints at it in one very subtle, chilling scene.

It shows her staring at the empty kitchen after MB kills himself outside, and she looks soulless.

Andrefpvs

I played through the vita version myself and I could have sworn I skipped that scene in a later playthrough.

Isn't it the optional branch at the end of Chapter 9 here?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140402005729

Ah, I see! I think you're misremembering the timing of the D-Mail. Let me resort to my absurdly large collection of screenshots (ordered chronologically) to better illustrate what happens:

This is before sending any D-Mails.
gbp9dQSl.jpg

FB kills himself, Moeka is alive.
ETkYkSHl.jpg

It's implied that FB killed himself to take SERN's attention away from Moeka. In the anime, his actions are the complete opposite.
WefXFccl.jpg

They now have FB's phone, and are about to send the D-Mail, but before they get the chance...
KIB2MTKl.jpg

Z8un6yGl.jpg

N9lMeCTl.jpg

Nae stabs Moeka and leaves.
CgfrZUEl.jpg

Only now do you have the option to send the D-Mail for the first time.

If you don't send the D-Mail right now, you time leap to the moment FB kills himself, and you can see the optional scene where Okabe confronts Nae and is stabbed.

The anime doesn't outright show Nae's true colors, but it hints at it in one very subtle, chilling scene.

It shows her staring at the empty kitchen after MB kills himself outside, and she looks soulless.

I'll have to watch that scene again to pick up the subtle details I might've missed, then. If she's indeed cooking/setting the table for her father even though she knows he just died, then that's very chilling indeed!

Breads

Banned
Started to read here and there just to get the gist of whatever this is and I had to stop.

You sold me on this game and I don't want to get spoiled.

Andrefpvs

Started to read here and there just to get the gist of whatever this is and I had to stop.

You sold me on this game and I don't want to get spoiled.

That's amazing! I'm seriously flattered.

I hope you enjoy the game and come back to share your experiences with it :)

(And yeah, better avoid the entire thread, it's full of spoilers)

Sora_N

Remember the crazy eyes scene when she kills Mayuri by accident? I feel it was just foreshadowing something is weird with Nae rather than her killing Mayuri on purpose. She hates Okarin and Moeka only. She shouldn't have a grudge against Mayuri or else she would have also attacked Kurisu too right?

Andrefpvs

Remember the crazy eyes scene when she kills Mayuri by accident? I feel it was just foreshadowing something is weird with Nae rather than her killing Mayuri on purpose. She hates Okarin and Moeka only. She shouldn't have a grudge against Mayuri or else she would have also attacked Kurisu too right?

Yeah, I agree. Unless she was faking it, it's clear throughout the entire game (and anime) that Nae really likes Mayuri.

Now that you mention it, the crazy eyes scene has indeed always intrigued me. I still don't know if those were the eyes of a child shocked by what she (accidentally?) caused, or a sign that something else wasn't quite right with her.

Sora_N

Yeah, I agree. Unless she was faking it, it's clear throughout the entire game (and anime) that Nae really likes Mayuri.

Now that you mention it, the crazy eyes scene has indeed always intrigued me. I still don't know if those were the eyes of a child shocked by what she (accidentally?) caused, or a sign that something else wasn't quite right with her.

That scene freaked me out cuz I had no idea there was a Future Nae.

No one hates Mayuri except convergence. :mad:

Also Evil Nae should only exist in timelines where Okarin revealed FB and caused Mr Braun to kill himself right? She may not have existed in the timeline where he was still clueless about that.

Sora_N

Yeah, Mayuri is the one character that does nothing wrong, is nice to everybody, but in the end... you know :(

In a way doesn't she show the irony of the world? She never did anything wrong and doesn't ever hurt people. Everyone likes her yet she was destined to die no matter what.

What a fantastic OP, makes me want to replay the game or rewatch the anime all over again.

Guess I'll settle with the movie that I never watched :p

El Psy Congroo

Just finished marathoning the rest of the anime series. I didn't watch the OVA yet, but since it appears to be a big shift in tone, I'll leave it for tomorrow.

Quick impressions for episodes 9-24 and the anime in general:

I saw the Steins Gate anime a few months ago and it became one of my all time favorite shows without any doubt. Great voice acting, a heart wrenching roller-coaster of emotions, fun interactions, we become invested in the stakes with just great, memorable characters and the way it all comes together is amazing. The fact that deaths can be "undone" doesn't mean that it cheapens the deaths, but that they can weigh more heavily and break the characters that remember.

I meant to purchase the VN after I finished the anime, and this thread just gave me a final reminder to go ahead and order it.

Definitely watch the OVA and the movie.
The movie suggests that Okabe went through more timelines than shown in the anime and we get a couple seconds of psycho Nae. So in the anime Okabe probably did go through all that too.

Anyway, great anime, great VN, great thread, and I can't wait to get my hands on Steins Gate 0.

ZealousD

Definitely watch the OVA and the movie.
The movie suggests that Okabe went through more timelines than shown in the anime and we get a couple seconds of psycho Nae. So in the anime Okabe probably did go through all that too.

Anyway, great anime, great VN, great thread, and I can't wait to get my hands on Steins Gate 0.

Dude don't spoil the movie for him. D=

D-Man

Sorry for the bump but I just wanted to say that I just finished the game for the first time today and now I feel empty inside. I had a feeling I was going to like this game but I had no idea I was gonna like THAT much. It was a fantastic ride and I hope that Steins;Gate 0 gets localized soon!

El Psy Kongroo.

Andrefpvs

What a fantastic OP, makes me want to replay the game or rewatch the anime all over again.

Guess I'll settle with the movie that I never watched :p

El Psy Congroo

Thank you very much! El Psy Kongroo! (I'm using a 'K' since that's the letter used in the game's translation. Same for 'Lukako' instead of 'Rukako'. I wonder what's the real intended romanization, though...)

I saw the Steins Gate anime a few months ago and it became one of my all time favorite shows without any doubt. Great voice acting, a heart wrenching roller-coaster of emotions, fun interactions, we become invested in the stakes with just great, memorable characters and the way it all comes together is amazing. The fact that deaths can be "undone" doesn't mean that it cheapens the deaths, but that they can weigh more heavily and break the characters that remember.

I meant to purchase the VN after I finished the anime, and this thread just gave me a final reminder to go ahead and order it.

That's amazing. Thank you! I hope you enjoy the VN, there's a lot of character interaction and moments that weren't in the anime :)

Sorry for the bump but I just wanted to say that I just finished the game for the first time today and now I feel empty inside. I had a feeling I was going to like this game but I had no idea I was gonna like THAT much. It was a fantastic ride and I hope that Steins;Gate 0 gets localized soon!

El Psy Kongroo.

Thanks for sharing! I know that feeling... What were your favourite moments?

I like to think that with every passing day we're a day closer to getting S;G0. But it doesn't really make the waiting any easier.

El Psy Kongroo.

_

By the way, I watched the OVA and the movie! I want to write a few impressions on them (I'll spoiler tag them), but I'm kind of tired right now, so I'll do it later/tomorrow. I hope the mods aren't mad at me for bumping this thread again, lol

Thank you very much! El Psy Kongroo! (I'm using a 'K' since that's the letter used in the game's translation. Same for 'Lukako' instead of 'Rukako'. I wonder what's the real intended romanization, though...)

The game uses the intended romanization, Crunchyroll got it wrong first and it bled into all other anime-related things.

One of the game's translators provided us with a list of demands from 5pb./Nitro+ for the localization: https://ask.fm/SciADV/answers/126458712887

And in case you're wondering about the future gadget lab website he mentioned, enjoy! http://futuregadget-lab.us/

cj_iwakura

The game uses the intended romanization, Crunchyroll got it wrong first and it bled into all other anime-related things.

One of the game's translators provided us with a list of demands from 5pb./Nitro+ for the localization: https://ask.fm/SciADV/answers/126458712887

And in case you're wondering about the future gadget lab website he mentioned, enjoy! http://futuregadget-lab.us/

Reading Steiner was saying on twitter that 5pb/Mages have been copyright flagging him, heh.

Top Bottom