• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Americans (S1 & 2) or Can Someone Kill These Commie Fucks, Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
latest

I just got done watching the first two season of The Americans after hearing a lot of praise about the show coming from GAF and other places and unfortunately I have to say I personally didn't care for it. Now, going in I wasn't sure how much I was going to like the show since I knew it was a show about spies from the Soviet perspective in the 80's. Well, I'm no fan of the Soviet Union and didn't know how well I could take a show where the main characters are basically trying to "destroy" America. I'm not saying I can't watch shows where the main character(s) are "villainous" or outright criminals but I usually have to identify with the character in some way otherwise I can get worn out watching someone do terrible things episode after episode. Thus, I love "Breaking Bad" and the good seasons of Dexter but I'm not really a fan of "The Sopranos" although I did watch it all the way through. I just never liked Tony Soprano and wished he would get a bullet to the head after the first episode.

But, that is a digression, in any event I decided to check out The Americans and see if I could dig it since I do love spy movies/series. While the premise proved interesting at first and I was jiving with the first couple episodes, although I kind of rolled my eyes that Stan happened to be their neighbor, I thought by the end of the first season things were getting to formulaic. Now, after finishing the second season I don't think I can continue watching the show. To briefly sum up why I disliked the show I'd say that 1) things got too formulaic and cliche' and 2) I can no longer stand these characters who are just murdering innocent people with impunity left and right.

I knew the show was taking a turn for the worse once Stan Beeman started his affair with Nina and it just kept getting worse. What is weird is I found the show both very realistic but also very unrealistic. I would describe it as realistic on a personal/emotional level, character's think and react to events as you would expect real people would. The way the Jennings rationalize their work and see themselves as the "good guys" is very realistic and how you would expect a spy to rationalize such actions. However, I find the actual actions and scenarios that happen within the show to be quite unrealistic and very cliche.

For instance, the sheer amount of assignments and range of tasks Tsenter asks the Jennings to take on is ridiculous. If you have limited deep cover sleeper agents within America the last thing you would do is send them on repeated high risk assignments that risks their death or exposure. But, then their is also the body count, not just of civilians which could be swept away, but of FBI and CIA agents. The idea that KGB spies could kill American agents and officials on U.S. soil and America wouldn't retaliate in a most brutal fashion is kind of ridiculous. The only "retaliation" we saw was an attempt plot on Arkady, the stupid killing of Vlad, and finally Zhokov's assassination. However, the Soviets then responded by killing a Deputy CIA official in his home and so far that was just allowed to happen. In any case, I just find all these scenarios and actions the characters take to be highly contrived and cliche at this point. It's kind of the same reason I stopped watching Homeland, too much stupidity.

Additionally, I find little tension any more in any scenes involving the Jennings. I know they are going to get away Scott free each time, so I can't feel anything with scenes involving them. Instead, the only "tension" I get with scenes involving them is wondering whether or not they will end up killing a bunch of people to get out of whatever situation they are in.

Please, feel free to send me to a gulag and tell me how wrong I am GAF.

jelly

It gets better in S3. Not so clear cut.

I wasn't that interested after the first season but since nothing was on, binged the second and not far off the end of S3.

I still find it kind of odd how they are so staunchly commies after all this time. Brainwashed doesn't seem to fit and don't think they're stupid, protecting the kids maybe. Actually quite interesting to think if real life spies thought differently when they were there.

Alcander

I sort of agree with some of your points, but the dynamic the jennings have with their children really intrigues me. I also find Philip a really well acted and deeply interesting character. I haven't watched s3 yet as I binged 1 & 2 on prime.

I think the subplot of Philip being married (as of the end of s2, no idea what happens in s3) to the other lady (I forget her name) pretty unbelievable though, haha.

Dalek

I watched the first season and didn't return. I can't pinpoint why but it never really grabbed my interest and want to find out what would happen next.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It gets better in S3. Not so clear cut.

I wasn't that interested after the first season but since nothing was on, binged the second and not far off the end of S3.

I still find it kind of odd how they are so staunchly commies after all this time. Brainwashed doesn't seem to fit and don't think they're stupid, protecting the kids maybe. Actually quite interesting to think if real life spies thought differently when they were there.[/QUOTE]

Well, now that you actually say it 60 Minutes recently did a piece on a Soviet spy who was sent to America in the 80's and how he eventually quit spying (and thus essentially defected) and then discovered by the FBI years later, he now lives a normal life here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-spy-among-us-part-one/

If you want the brief summary the guy, Jack Barsky (not his real name) was a KGB agent sent to America in 1978 to get close to National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski, they gave him $6,000 in cash and a birth certificate to accomplish this task. Obviously, he never got anywhere close and it really highlights just how "well run" such operations were run. However, through his wits he was able to get a SSN, attended college, and got a job here MetLife. At this job he was able to send back to the KGB some useful stuff, basically conducting corporate/industrial espionage including according to him a very useful piece of proprietary software. Every two years or so he'd return to Germany (where he had a family) or Moscow for debriefing.

However, after a while he got in a relationship here in America, got married, and started another family. In 1988, the Soviets thought his cover might be compromised and they wanted to extract him but he didn't want to abandon his new family so he lied to his superiors and said he contracted AIDS. According to him Moscow was scared of only two things in the 80's 1) Ronald Reagan and 2) AIDS. Thus, after revealing this they essentially marked him as dead and left him alone. He continued living a normal life until some FBI files in the mid 90's led the FBI to his trail and in 97' they investigated him. He basically confessed right away and agreed to tell them everything he knew and so they left him alone.

But, then there was of course the 2010 Russian Illegals Program broken up by the FBI. However, I believe those individuals were inserted after the fall of the USSR.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
one of the best shows I've seen in years. Tense, incredible lead actors (especially Matthew Rhys) , great twists

I can see how an American watching this could feel conflicted about rooting for the bad guys, but since I'm not one, I always wish for Philip and Lizzy to succeed. That's the writer's masterstroke

maxcriden

OP, I totally agree. I just tried the first couple eps and I thought it was the typical cliché cable drama we often see these days. The sex scenes in particular felt laughably try-hard.

I know you might have some reservations about the subject matter, but I want to recommend a show with a similar subject. Allegiance. It aired 13 eps earlier this year and won't be coming back but tells a pretty complete and satisfying story IMO. Great cast and it's based on an Israeli drama. Take a peek if you're interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegiance_(TV_series)

It has a lot of compelling twists and turns and the writing and performances kept us glued to the screen and often on the edge of our seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom