• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Transformers Devastation, or Peter Cullen has a badass voice

I've never been much of a Transformers fan, but I've always appreciated the concept and characters. I was predisposed to like this game as I've been a big fan of Platinum Games output, even with their worse, more low-budget titles — from licensed, short-dev time stuff like Korra all the way up to Bayonetta, they just know what's good. They know it feels dope to dodge an attack and have time slow down while you punish your enemy. They know ridiculous, yet functional moves make fights entertaining displays on a visual level, and they the right way to be demanding so that you begin to impress yourself as much as the ridiculous spectacle does.

Even knowing I would like the game in advance: Dear lord was this hype

The reward for timing dodges correctly and completing combos is probably my favorite out of all P* titles: turning into a vehicle to slam into an enemy by doing a burnout or a doughnut (sometimes multiple times in a row, and often in midair, somehow) is hilarious and satisfying. Floating an enemy, following after them into the air, doing an attack string into a vehicle attack that sends them flying into a wall, then firing your blasters/grenade launcher/whatever into them looks/sounds like something out of some insane anime, but is actually something that you figure out how to do on your own throughout the game. Again, that's typical P*, but this Transformers spin on that formula is particularly great.

The fucking final fight(s) with
Megatron
... jeebus. The back-and-forth is pretty awesome, and he doesn't let up. I'm constantly in awe of either what he's doing or what I'm doing to counter/navigate/punish in return. The gameplay really lives up to the gravitas of the story and then some.

Will play a sequel. It made me a fan of Transformers a bit. And, again, even though I'd never been a big fan, Optimus' voice being a throwback to the cartoon is on-point. This game must be a real treat for any Transformers + P* games fan. Bring on da sequel pl0x

One of the best games of the generation for me by far. It's such a shame that this was the only game out of the 3 licensed games Platinum made that actually turned out good. For the short timeframe and budget it was developed in it had no right to turn out as good as it did really!

Neiteio

Yeah, it was one of my favorite games last year. Wasn't a Transformers fan going in, but I came to love the characters over the course of the game.

Also, Devastator himself is such a great boss. They pull a Metal Gear Ray and throw him at you within like the first five minutes.

The game's penultimate battle (5v2, against two of the toughest foes in the game) was also incredible.

Justinh

I loved this game. Glad it got on PSN plus so more people could play it. I think the asking price was a little too high at first given how short it is and repetitive the environments are. Still the only P* game I've finished.

Loved the voices (even if Frank Welker sounded off and I dearly miss Mr. Latta), loved the visuals, and the combat was so freaking great. I actually really liked the loot system too, as it had me searching for better gear.

I would so be down for some Decepticon story DLC.

The game's penultimate battle (
5v2, against two of the toughest foes in the game
) was also incredible.

my face when I got past that part.

Baalzebup

keep trying

the actual best part of this game is how much shit optimus prime talks

"Megatron was right. You really are useless, Starscream."
Yup, that right there was one righteous put-down. Cullens fatherly voice combined with that little sigh in the voice and the disappointed tone it is delivered in is just so gooood.

I never knew I needed a shit-talking Optimus in my life before I played the game, but damn it don't work.

Syril

I started it recently and holy shit, this is the meatiest first level I've ever seen. I haven't even finished it yet and I've already done three boss fights and a car chase.

Neiteio

What's kinda amazing is this game gives you five playable Autobots, each a full-fledged character worthy of a Bayonetta-style game, but I liked Optimus so much that I barely tried the other four, and it was still a GOTY contender.

bryanee

I liked everything except for the levels and world you fight in. I wasnt a fan of the semi open world nature it had. If we ever get a sequel I'd like the level structure to be more focused.

And yes Peter Cullen is god. I would pay that man to read me a bedtime story.

TreIII

And even though it's what we expect, Welker's Megatron was no slouch, either.

"Soundwave...are you even TRYING to STOP THEM!?"

Justinh

What's kinda amazing is this game gives you five playable Autobots, each a full-fledged character worthy of a Bayonetta-style game, but I liked Optimus so much that I barely tried the other four, and it was still a GOTY contender.

Yeah, I wanted to try and learn how to be not crap with Grimlock, but I just love Optimus so much.

If you're interested OP, Saurian (some youtube dude, apparently he does videos on P* games?) has an interesting series about taking a more intricate look at the game's systems.

Playlist link.

Peter Cullen's finest performance, angrily throwing an explosive brick towards a bridge.

Also shame on Platinum for not calling the post-dodge slow-motion "Prime Time."

Top Bottom