• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 is a mediocre game that is really pretty.

c0de

I have a deja-vu feeling about this thread. I have already seen at least 3 or 4 of them, and they all pop up whenever some good news comes up on the subject of the game.

I have a dejavu seeing thread whining when there is legit criticism for this game.

Game was ok at best , multiplayer was alright

Naughty dog was in love with that rope swinging technology since it was used over and over
Then it shifted to the ice pick on the walls

Crayon

Good luck getting past the first few chapters if you didn't like the other games

The pacing in this game is shit

If you don't like the others I wouldn't bother, you probably won't get through the first 2 -4hours.

I'll give it a try someday. Some games get so much praise that it's worth trying. I didn't get civilization for the longest time but one day I was gave it a try for the maybe 5th time in ten years and I finally got into it. I only tried civ five times over the years because so many people say it's brilliant. So I want to have an open mind about uncharted but thus far it's been boring for me.

Mechazawa

I was really pleased with the changes they made to the shooting model, but it really needed a lot more stealth and combat encounters.

So much climbing and walkiiinzzZzzzZzz.

It reminded me a lot of Max Payne 3, in hindsight.

Gator86

No single game should, in my opinion. It is, I think, better to have a thread titled "Uncharted 4 is a disappointing game", instead of creating a new one every couple of weeks. But that is just me...

Every time someone thinks wow, I hate the gameplay in Witcher 3/Uncharted 4 or I just heard of this cool, new, and not overly-discussed game called Bloodborne, a new thread must be created because reasons beyond human understanding.

TLoU might be one of the more underrated games in terms of gameplay. The weight of the weapons, movement of the characters, variety of the enemies, etc. were really well done.

I hold the unpopular opinion that the gameplay of TLoU far outclasses its story.

TLOU is a fantastic game. I had way more fun with that than UC4.

The thing people may not realize is that a lot of us UC4 "haters" probably love TLOU.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The fact that this game won GAF GOTY despite all the backlash is pretty impressive and maybe telling of a new trend among the hardcore of the hardcore where story and 'feels' are put over gameplay and level design. Witcher 3 won last year despite having some of the most mediocre and mind numbing combat last year, and while the gunplay in Uncharted 4 was sublime there was just so very little of it i was bored playing an Uncharted game for the first time ever.

They have multiple chapters with no gameplay and several more with just one combat scenario. the climbing is worse than ever despite the addition of the grapple hook. and even the combat brings nothing new to the franchise unlike U2 which added several new enemy types and mixed in the combat scenarios with the setpieces. A random fight in Horizon is a hundred times more thrilling than a carefully staged combat scenario in Uncharted 4. again, i think the combat was the best part of the game but more of the same just isnt good enough in 2016. Horizon shows what next gen gameplay can bring us.

So the game falls short delivering next gen gameplay, falls short delivering a great story (though the epilogue was well done) and ruins the pacing by turning uncharted into a 15 hour adventure instead of compact 8-10 hour story with setpieces after setpieces.

In fact, it didnt deliver on the setpieces. the chase was the only major setpiece in the game and it was spoiled at E3. the rest were just broken bridges sequences that didnt come close to some of the shit we saw in U2 and U3. Hell, The Last Guardian had better setpieces and an aweinspiring ending. bizarre that it didnt win goty last year. maybe it needed more on the nose dialogue and fewer gameplay segments? ;p

Overwatch and Doom were runner ups so maybe there is hope that people still do care about level design and gameplay, but i look back at U2 and TLOU wins and wonder if people actually ever appreciated the level design and moment to moment combat in those games, especially the last of us which had some of the best combat encounters i've played in a third person shooter.

RossoneR

Banned
They finally nailed shooting and controls(+ rope added a lot to gameplay) but theres way too little action.
So much pointless walking an climbing. Cant talk about every1 else but i buy uncharted for over the top action and set pieces ( best in the industry). So pls. ND if u make another uncharted gives us more action.

Some huge levels totally wasted, with just driving and walking.
5 games later and i still dont get point of treasures? How about give us upgrades for collecting or unlocking new unique weapons? For me:

uc3> uc2> uc4> uc1.

I loved UC4 and TLOU. They are amazing productions and I'm never going to gripe about a game built with such quality that is so engaging and good at telling a story. I can understand if the genre doesn't grab someone, but to call the game mediocre is just nuts in my eyes.

I loved UC4 and TLOU. They are amazing productions and I'm never going to gripe about a game built with such quality that is so engaging and good at telling a story. I can understand if the genre doesn't grab someone, but to call the game mediocre is just nuts in my eyes.
I like third person shooters.

I found Uncharted 4 to be a terribly boring and often frustratingly bland experience.

Gator86

The fact that this game won GAF GOTY despite all the backlash is pretty impressive and maybe telling of a new trend among the hardcore of the hardcore where story and 'feels' are put over gameplay and level design. Witcher 3 won last year despite having some of the most mediocre and mind numbing combat last year, and while the gunplay in Uncharted 4 was sublime there was just so very little of it i was bored playing an Uncharted game for the first time ever.

They have multiple chapters with no gameplay and several more with just one combat scenario. the climbing is worse than ever despite the addition of the grapple hook. and even the combat brings nothing new to the franchise unlike U2 which added several new enemy types and mixed in the combat scenarios with the setpieces. A random fight in Horizon is a hundred times more thrilling than a carefully staged combat scenario in Uncharted 4. again, i think the combat was the best part of the game but more of the same just isnt good enough in 2016. Horizon shows what next gen gameplay can bring us.

So the game falls short delivering next gen gameplay, falls short delivering a great story (though the epilogue was well done) and ruins the pacing by turning uncharted into a 15 hour adventure instead of compact 8-10 hour story with setpieces after setpieces.

In fact, it didnt deliver on the setpieces. the chase was the only major setpiece in the game and it was spoiled at E3. the rest were just broken bridges sequences that didnt come close to some of the shit we saw in U2 and U3. Hell, The Last Guardian had better setpieces and an aweinspiring ending. bizarre that it didnt win goty last year. maybe it needed more on the nose dialogue and fewer gameplay segments? ;p

Overwatch and Doom were runner ups so maybe there is hope that people still do care about level design and gameplay, but i look back at U2 and TLOU wins and wonder if people actually ever appreciated the level design and moment to moment combat in those games, especially the last of us which had some of the best combat encounters i've played in a third person shooter.

am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

Yup, these goty award winners which totally savaged the competition in their respective years are just terrible games with stories that bring the feels as their only redeeming qualities. You figured it out.

barit

Many people will only realise how good the Unchartd series is/was when it's gone for good. After playing the fifth medicore Reboot of Tomb Raider people will say "God damn I miss that one adventure game that played like a old Indiana Jones movie with believable characters, amazing gameplay and great humor. Too bad I was so bigoted at the time when they came out. I should have enjoyed them more!"

The further we got from UC2, the more criticism I saw for Uncharted's shooting sections (deservedly so for UC3), and combined with all the praise I see for UC4 abandoning so much of that, the more I feel that a large section of Naughty Dog's audience don't appreciate the nuts and bolts craft of UC2 as an action experience. Not just the spectacle and cutscenes, but the way the moment to moment gameplay was put together. I mean, I already figured this to be the case when so many UC2 vs. UC3 threads would end in "They're basically the same game", but now I'm more certain than ever.

Remains to be seen what happens with TLOU2, but I don't have high hopes.

bud

a tremendously boring game with only one real highlight: the africa chapter. i was hoping tha chapter would really kick things off, but then it went back to being boring again. and it's way too long for its own good.

it felt like i was pressing x and forward to jump most of the time. there wasn't any tension whatsoever.

I don't agree. Great visuals and sound design, middling narrative well told, generally fun and varied gameplay, with the combat design sometimes dragging. All in all, pretty far from mediocre in my opinion.

opricnik

Banned
am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

Yup, these goty award winners which totally savaged the competition in their respective years are just terrible games with stories that bring the feels as their only redeeming qualities. You figured it out.

I mean do people play Uncharted for Story really? what the heck , writing is out from Saturday cartoon ffs.It is terrib

Many people will only realise how good the Unchartd series is/was when it's gone for good. After playing the fifth medicore Reboot of Tomb Raider people will say "God damn I miss that one adventure game that played like a old Indiana Jones movie with believable characters, amazing gameplay and great humor. Too bad I was so bigoted at the time when they came out. I should have enjoyed them more!"

whew, getting on that revisionist train early, are we?

I can't tell satire anymore but it is also very, very possible I just had a stroke while reading this.

Rndm

I liked the game, but I expected it to be better. At times I felt like the game didn't know what it wanted to be. Also the writing felt very cheap (except for the jokes) and Sam just didn't do it for me, I never really cared for him.

But I guess that are the issues that come when you do a 180 in develpment when it's already too late. You get a story that feels off and characters that are not convincing. To me, and I want to stress that this is my personal opinion, it feels like they had pretty much all the levels ready (along with the story and all that), then Amy "decided to leave the project" and Neil and Josh wrote a new story to kind of fit the levels while Bruce tried to make it more TLoU-esque in terms of gameplay which resulted in things like the poor stealth. It never really fit, but it was good and fun enough to be released. Again, my opinion, I'm not saying this is what happened. But it'd explain a lot.

Overall I still thought it was a fun game. I liked the locations, the vehicles, Nate, Sully, Nadine, the sections with young Drake (although they felt too slow or short depending on how much you interacted), the focus on exploring and climbing (!!!!) and the rope (even though it created many issues in the plot, even for an unrealistic over the top game like this the rope just messed up to many things).

Also I'd like to take the time to mention one issue that bothered the hell out of me and I never really saw anyone mention it. The way some levels are layed out/connected makes no sense AT ALL. New Devon switches the direction it faces (when in Libertalia and then later when you get there), Libertalia isn't visible when it should be (elevator and pre-New Devon level), the New Devon bridge collapse and the dramatic "reveal" of the cages that makes no sense because you would have seen them before, the harbor town and ship graveyard aren't visible, the tunnel to get there isn't long enough, the big mountain switches spots slightly, urgh. That whole island section was pieced together soooo poorly and I don't get how nobody at ND even noticed or cared enough. It's like four different teams in the studio did some levels with the main focus of making them look cool and then tossed them together. As long as it's close enough it's ok I guess. I'd have never expected ND to be so careless.

So overall, depending on what you look at U4 is by far their best or the worst game in recent years. Still good, but it doesn't match their own standards.

I am confident that they will get back on track with TLoU 2 because it doesn't look like it'll run into the huge changes U4 ran into. I have high hopes for that, even if Bruce doesn't work on it. I doubt that it was a lot of fun piecing together U4 and I'm not sure if I should be upset or happy that they managed to release the game as is.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Gameplay wise,

Rise of the Tomb Raider >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 4.

Nah. Just played it. Awesome game. Probably the best in the series. The open nature and the hook added so much more to the combat. The setpieces were there but without overdoing it and adding more exploration and atmosphere into it. Puzzles and platforming/climbing was also more fun than in the other games of the series and I never had that much of an adventure and exploration feeling in the other games. Plus the great characters and the story which again is just well made. Maybe it went a bit too long in the end, but otherwise not much to complain here. I even think the last boss fight was fun in comparison to what the 3 games offer before.

Nah OP is buggin breh. Uncharted 4 is a near masterpiece. An absolutely gorgeous game, yes. But the combat is finally really good. The cover and shooting feels great. The vast open combat areas are extremely well designed in regards to how you ca utilize multiple pathways, routes etc and the effect of stealth. The stealth is actually pretty damn good too. The climbing isn't particularly challenging, but it's more about the spectacle and figuring out what to do with the environment. It's got some of the best set pieces and puzzles of the series on top of all of that. Come on... the E3 demo set piece? BOI.

An amazing game.

Angel_DvA

Agree with the tille but not for everything you say, most of the people loves mediocre games anyway, it's the same with movies.

99Luffy

Banned
Probably already mentioned but make sure you dont play on normal difficulty. The UC games are absolutely mediocre on the regular setting even for people new to console shooters.

c0de

Calling it mediocre is off when you consider the production value and attention to detail in modelling characters and environment, yes. Story is of course subjective but at least for now, it's a really slow start.
But looking at the gameplay and how it combines gameplay and telling the story, it's really not good, at least to the point where I am now. Of course also only my opinion but the times when the game let me play really was absolutely nothing special at all.

Bigoted? what?

That's really the Uncharted series in a nutshell.

They're not bad games at all, but they're average shooters hidden beneath amazing visuals, set pieces, and a well done story. It's a shame, because I felt like TLoU made significant improvements in the gameplay department compared to Uncharted.

I disagree. The combat is actually excellent. It's incredibly dynamic, giving you a highly dynamic character who can stealth, melee, roll, jump, climb, swing etcetera and placing him into open and vertical envionments with enemies that actively seek you out. Every encounter becomes a combat sandbox. It's why I don't think TLoU is better than UC. It's better than some people give it credit for and it's definitely gorier, but UC with all it's climbing and jumping during combat is far more dynamic. That's why the MP and Survival work so well. The core combat loop is excellent, though you could argue there is not enough of it.

Doran902

I didn't like it.

I loved 1 and 2 but the game didn't evolve other than graphics, 3 was kind of the finale and 4 was just unnecessary with dated gameplay imo. Gorgeous visuals and set pieces but meh to the gameplay and story.

To call UC4 a 3d shooter is very misleading. The campaign is actually a boring climbfest. I don't get why ND still makes games where the platforming is the main stay. It is silly that a 3D game where you play as a human has this much platforming. 3D platformers are are compelling only when the protagonist is atleast an animal or cartoon human. The realistic story + dialogues make this even more jarring.

Don't think I am ever seeing through uc4.

I love third person shooters. RE4 is my favorite game ever, TLoU isn't far behind.

Uncharted 4 is boring.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amazing game from top to bottom. One of the best stories in a video game, the best gunplay in the series and some of the most fun multiplayer in 2016.

That's really the Uncharted series in a nutshell.

They're not bad games at all, but they're average shooters hidden beneath amazing visuals, set pieces, and a well done story. It's a shame, because I felt like TLoU made significant improvements in the gameplay department compared to Uncharted.

Also, it should be a crime to call the climbing and jumping in Uncharted "platforming". Seriously, why do people gloss over how terrible it is?

The Last of Us is just a more rigid Uncharted game with crafting in terms of gameplay.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The further we got from UC2, the more criticism I saw for Uncharted's shooting sections (deservedly so for UC3), and combined with all the praise I see for UC4 abandoning so much of that, the more I feel that a large section of Naughty Dog's audience don't appreciate the nuts and bolts craft of UC2 as an action experience. Not just the spectacle and cutscenes, but the way the moment to moment gameplay was put together. I mean, I already figured this to be the case when so many UC2 vs. UC3 threads would end in "They're basically the same game", but now I'm more certain than ever.

Remains to be seen what happens with TLOU2, but I don't have high hopes.

Good point. i remember the U3 love feasts on gaf and it drove me crazy. i appreciate the setpieces in U3 a lot more now after U4, but man everything else in that game was just a poor man's Uncharted 2.

Actually i was wrong. Bloodborne beat out Witcher 3 on gaf which totally destroys my thoery. I guess i confused it with the critical reception. but Witcher 3, Journey (gaf goty 2012) and U4 love is still beyond me.

SRTtoZ

Loved it, a true masterpiece. Obviously every game isn't for everyone and this game happens to be it for you.

Top Bottom