• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wii U

Wvrs

As 2017 draws to a close it might seem a strange time to pick up a Wii U, but a friend was offloading theirs cheap after getting a Switch and it seemed like an opportune time to see what I missed. For background: I'm in my early 20s and Nintendo was everything for me growing up -- I have relatively young parents so games consoles were always a thing in my house as a kid, and my earliest gaming memories are of SMW on my Dad's SNES.

While my friends drifted to Sony and Microsoft I eschewed their offerings for the N64, Gamecube and Wii. I never picked up the Wii U though, as I'd elected to wait for the PS4 (after having picked up a cheap PS3 around 2010) and so haven't played any of Nintendo's fare in years (although I had a 3DS and played most of its big titles).

The games for this system are so insanely cheap now that I'm planning to work my way through the 'greatest hits' of the system, and so I'll try leave my thoughts on each as I progress.

Super Mario 3D World

I played Galaxy 1, and outside of that I've only played 3D Land on the 3DS post-Gamecube. I was a bit disappointed to find that 3D World is merely an extension of the latter. Don't get me wrong -- it's still Mario, and it plays like a dream. However, I'm finding the shoebox-design of the game almost claustrophobic, as stages can be completed in minutes. It's all a little bit too safe, and whilst acceptable -- impressive, even -- on the 3DS, I expected more from the Wii U 3D Mario iteration; roughly halfway through and I'm getting bored. From what I've heard, maybe Odyssey would be more to my liking.

The Legend of Zelda: BotW

I guess I'm not far enough into this game to pass definitive judgement, but man... I'm conflicted. On the one hand, it's a beautiful open world RPG where the possibilities seem endless and every new vista brings surprises and excitement. On the other hand, I feel like it's a terrible Zelda game. I understand that Nintendo tried to imbibe the series with some fresh life, and perhaps that was needed (I've played all 3D Zeldas up to Skyward Sword before this and the formula was running a little stale), but this game seems to shrug off everything that defines Zelda to me. The story in the series was never in-depth, but it always worked, and it's a shame that this entry seems to have less meat to it than even the 20 year old OoT. Not to mention gameplay deficiencies like weapon durability or a lack of real dungeons.

I'm only 15 hours or so in and I understand that's too early to make a decision, but it's not hitting that Zelda itch for me, and I'm tempted to start playing through Wind Waker HD alongside it.

As for the console itself, what a weird little thing. I dismissed the Wii U as it was first released, dismissive of the fact that Nintendo had just pushed out a PS360-level console some 7 years late to the party. Right now, though, I'm loving it -- I'm currently living a quite transient lifestyle and don't own a TV, so the gamepad is a godsend -- I can leave the console in a backpack and just plug-and-play.

I'm open to any and all game suggestions, I've already picked up Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. Any underrated titles that I might not have heard of?

Shifty

The Wonderful 101 is well worth your time. Bit challenging to get into, but it's superb pikmin-meets-beat-em-up fun when you figure out the gameplay systems.

And well, I personally think Star Fox Zero is a bit underrated despite the lashings of hate it gets. It's flawed (hard-to-grasp controls, crappy stealth sections, underwhelming final stage, no noteworthy unlockables before 100% completion) but still worth experiencing if you're into the series or rail shooter genre.

EhoaVash

ehh lugging the wii u around seems like a hassle

anyway I enjoyed my wii u for the time i had.

I for one liked mario 3d world, game was challenging unlike Mario odyssey

agree with your opinion about botw though op. after it i'm craving a real zelda real bad. I really disliked wind waker HD. it wasn't the zelda i've been looking for, Twilight princess HD was much better ( <3 real meaty dungeons )

anyway have you played any pikmin games? i haven't before and found pikmin 3 to be really fun.

i'd recommend Splatoon 1 tooo but you don't have a TV so you can't play that without a tv.

orborborb

Do not miss Nintendoland or Star Fox Zero, everything else good on the system will eventually make it to other systems in an acceptable form. Also Luigi U is the best 2D Mario.

Joei

Captain Toad was a surpringly awesome game. Yoshi's Wooly World was great as well. And I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors much, much more than I thought I would. Wii U was/is far away my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES.

jcjimher

Super Mario 3D World

I played Galaxy 1, and outside of that I've only played 3D Land on the 3DS post-Gamecube. I was a bit disappointed to find that 3D World is merely an extension of the latter. Don't get me wrong -- it's still Mario, and it plays like a dream. However, I'm finding the shoebox-design of the game almost claustrophobic, as stages can be completed in minutes. It's all a little bit too safe, and whilst acceptable -- impressive, even -- on the 3DS, I expected more from the Wii U 3D Mario iteration; roughly halfway through and I'm getting bored. From what I've heard, maybe Odyssey would be more to my liking.

When you say halfway you mean the regular worlds, before the final boss and the credits?. If that's so then I would advise you to persevere. The real joy of the game comes with the post-credits content, which is much more challenging and interesting...

Curl

Neo Member
Bayonetta 2 is very good, and probably my favorite game on the system. If you like platinum games then Wonderful 101 is worth it as well.

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is the best platformer on the system in my opinion, and one of the best 2d Platformers in years. Controls are precise, levels are well designed, and the game is a good challenge.

For fans of JRPGs, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a spin off of the Shin Megami Tensei series that includes cameos of Fire Emblem Characters. Features a solid turn-based battle system and an interesting setting. The game is strange on the surface, especially to westerners, but definitely an underrated gem overall.

AaronB

If you like Zelda, I'd give Hyrule Warriors a try. I'd never played a musou-style game before, but I probably put more hours into Hyrule Warriors than anything else on the system.

Also second the Pikmin 3 recommendation - it's a blast and works great with wii remote + nunchuck + Gamepad for the map.

Nintendoland is great if you ever do local multiplayer; in single player there's still a lot to do and it can be gotten really cheap.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For fans of JRPGs, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a spin off of the Shin Megami Tensei series that includes cameos of Fire Emblem Characters. Features a solid turn-based battle system and an interesting setting. The game is strange on the surface, especially to westerners, but definitely an underrated gem overall.

I really want nintendo release that game on Switch same way they are doing with Bayonetta 1&2.

SpiceRacz

Super Mario 3D World

I had the opposite feelings about the game. It's probably my favorite game from this generation.

I agree with what someone else said - The postgame content is probably the best part of the game. Also, I think the game is easier to on appreciate on a TV.

As 2017 draws to a close it might seem a strange time to pick up a Wii U, but a friend was offloading theirs cheap after getting a Switch and it seemed like an opportune time to see what I missed.

You did well OP. I bought one at the beginning of this year and it's already one of my favourite game systems in my collection. Originally I decided to get one to use purely as a Wii with a HDMI output. I'm a massive fan of the Wii's library but I've come to really enjoy the small selection of titles available for the Wii U since. Being able to play all of the Zelda and Mario titles (excepting Odyssey) from the NES to present on a single system is amazing.

It's made a future Switch purchase almost completely redundant for me. Plus I don't need to wait for Nintendo to get their act in gear with their Virtual Console service on that platform.

Do not miss Nintendoland or Star Fox Zero, everything else good on the system will eventually make it to other systems in an acceptable form. Also Luigi U is the best 2D Mario.

Nintendoland and Starfox Zero do indeed offer unique experiences that can’t be replicated on the Switch. I’ll add Pikmin 3 (wiimote with map on gamepad), Splatoon (Splatoon 2 doesn’t play as well without the Gamepad) and Affordable Space Adventures.

Zelda BOTW should have been better on the Wii U with gamepad mechanics but Nintendo chopped the parts off to make the Switch version stand out with its better graphics.

The rest of the Wii U masterpieces will find their way on the Switch in the near future, so don’t bother.

goldenpp72

If I was on my laptop I'd blow this topic up with info, but you're in for a treat if you have relatively broad taste.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love my WiiU. Switch was unnecessary.
I hope you are joking. WiiU had some great games but it was really bad console and it wasn't doing too good sale wise, so I would say Switch was god damn necessary.

dano1

A Sheep
I hope you are joking. WiiU had some great games but it was really bad console and it wasn't doing too good sale wise, so I would say Switch was god damn necessary.

It was way overpriced because of the stupid tablet.
If it was $199 and had half decent marketing it would have been fine.

No Joke.

GametimeUK

Bayonetta 2 is perfection. I absolutely love that game. It is a must play for anyone who is a fan of old school action and fun when it comes to their games. It's balls to the walls and utterly insane. Combat system is amazing.

HCgamer

I purchased splatoon 2 on day one I have played it almost every day since I have not gone back to splatoon 1 since yet I do miss using the gamepad to play splatoon 2 I wish Nintendo would add Wii u gamepad support to splatoon 2.

Nintendoland and Starfox Zero do indeed offer unique experiences that can’t be replicated on the Switch. I’ll add Pikmin 3 (wiimote with map on gamepad), Splatoon (Splatoon 2 doesn’t play as well without the Gamepad) and Affordable Space Adventures.

Zelda BOTW should have been better on the Wii U with gamepad mechanics but Nintendo chopped the parts off to make the Switch version stand out with its better graphics.

The rest of the Wii U masterpieces will find their way on the Switch in the near future, so don’t bother.

PrimeTime

NES Remix (I think they released another one too) was a lot of fun and a great spin on the old nes classics that many of us in our 30s and 40s grew up with. The game basically took segments of older nes games and infused some weird challenges once you were able to demonstrate a certain proficiency with the base games. It’s a lot of fun.

I know your concerns about 3D World but if you stop expecting the game to be something it’s not (an open world platformer)and instead appreciate the ideas that went into each level, you’d be crazy not to be enamored with the game. The best levels don’t open up until you beat the “main” portion. There’s a “cog” or “spinner” level shortly after beating bowser that just blew my mind.

If you happen across Deus Ex :Human revolution, that game worked very well with the Wii u’s gamepad (though probably less so since you don’t own a tv). You can tell that the Director’s Cut (what this game was marketed as) was specifically tailored to the Wii U.

I would also plus one on NintendoLand. The DK game is simply a master class on great game design.

Oh yeah, don’t forget that all of the Wii Games are backwards compatible and much easier on the eyes playing on the Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 is perfection. I absolutely love that game. It is a must play for anyone who is a fan of old school action and fun when it comes to their games. It's balls to the walls and utterly insane. Combat system is amazing.

Agreed a very good system it has gotten a bad rap from the press. Way overpriced, that falls on Nintendo, they should have sold a version with no game pad and replaced it with a pro controller for 199.00.

Hilarion

I play my Wii U far more often than I play my Switch. The Wii U is probably my most-enjoyed home console ever, and I've had every Nintendo console except the NES excepting the original Wii.

Currently playing through Ogre Battle 64 on it, which I'd never played before, and it's a phenomenal game. It's a great console for retro-gaming, because they look great on the Gamepad.

The Switch doesn't have a lot of the games I'd really want yet (mostly SNES and GBA titles).

goldenpp72

Now that i'm back on my laptop, figured i'd throw some suggestions your way, obviously use your taste as your guide :p

Bayonetta 2

Also comes with Bayonetta 1 if you get the right version, among the best action series ever made next to the Ninja Gaiden series and Devil May Cry. I personally prefer the original to the sequel, but both are worth playing.

Bayonetta-2-1.jpg

Captain Toad

Excellent expansion on the concept found in 3D World, very charming and creative game with a balls hard finale if you get everything unlocked.

Captain-Toad-Nintenbit-5.png

Hyrule Warriors

The Warriors series has a pretty scattered reputation, but this is the best one in the series even if you don't like Zelda, liking Zelda adds a lot to the fan elements though. Excellent variety in combat options for each character, a fun campaign, an amazing Adventure mode with basically infinite replay value, and full Coop options as well. A highlight game for the system.

hyrule-warriors-wii-u-wiiu-1402910042-053-Zelda.jpg

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

While not as good as the DS original, it's a fun take on the formula and has coop options as well, very cool art style too.

large.jpg

Nes Remix Pack

Often overlooked, these are bite sized challenges based on a ton of retro games, there are hours of enjoyment to be had here, really one of the best mini game like compilations ever made.

NES%20Remix8.jpg

New Super Mario Bros. U

The formula may have become stale by this point, but it is still the best entry in this series and the new challenge mode is amazing.

New-Super-Mario-Bros-U-Gameplay-2.jpg

New Super Luigi U

A unique twist on the concept, injecting more bite sized levels on the same over world but with the unique Luigi physics/controls on top of much harder challenges. Unlike the above, there is only a single player mode as well. It's very worth tracking this one down, and they sell it in a combo pack with the original game too.

New_Super_Luigi_U_3.jpg

Nintendo Land

This is only really worth picking up if you can find friends to play it with, but it really is worth the time in that context. A good assortment of very fleshed out party games.

nintendo_land_2.jpg

Paper Mario: Color Splash

While it does not return to the glorious formula of the first two entries, it's a much more proper entry than the majority that have come before it, very charming, meaty and fun. It has its flaws but it is worthy of a run through I think. Gorgeous game as well.

paper-mario-color-splash-1.jpg

Pikmin 3

This one surprised me a lot, I liked the first game enough but never really felt compelled to continue from there. This turned out to be one of my favorite games on a system filled with great games, very charming, and if you have the means to combine the gamepad with the Wii remote controls, also a unique game only possible on this system.

Pikmin-3.jpg

Sonic Lost World

Probably the most debatable game here, but I found this game really enjoyable when not viewed as a proper Sonic game. It's a lot slower and more platforming focused, but in turn becomes a pretty fun platformer, and really the only reasonably good entry of the series on this system.

1369840587-sonic-lost-world-4.jpg

Splatoon

While the sequel outclasses the original in multiplayer, I actually found the single player in the original better overall. While it's missing some of the new improvements and enhancements, the world building and such was more enjoyable and creative. Definitely worth a run just for the single player, but also fun to play online.

splatoon_screenshot_01.jpg

Star Fox Zero/Guard

This is likely another of high debate, but worth mentioning. This is a game that throws back to an era that forces you to learn new mechanics, new thought processes, gimmicks, etc, in order to find what makes it special. There is a great game buried underneath a very thick layer of stress when it comes to coming to grips with the mechanics, but once you find it its unlike anything that exist. If you want to pick up and understand it all immediately and have a traditional experience, skip it, otherwise it's a good time. The additional game with Star Fox Guard is also a fun and unique time, making it a pretty good value proposition these days.

Star-Fox-Zero-21-1280x720.jpg

star-fox-guard-17.jpg

Super Mario Maker

This is a very important game to the system, as it shows finally what the potential of the game pad really could have been. It also makes use of the online setup of the console and is overall the most unique Mario title in quite awhile up to this point. You don't even have to create anything to have fun either, as tons of content exist made by others at this point.

WiiU_SuperMarioMaker_06.jpg

Super Smash Bros. U

My personal favorite entry in this series, the roster is amazing and the online actually works smoothly, and still active today :)

smash_bros_wii_u_mega_man_float.jpg

Tokyo Mirage Sessions

I actually haven't played much of this one, but it seems to come up in a lot of list and might be worth investigation, not my style particularly.

Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions.jpg

The Wonderful 101

This is a tough one, the weapon swapping and control gimmicks are quite frustrating, but when you overcome the hurdles of it you are treated with one of the freshest, most creative and joyful experiences ever made. It's a flawed gem for sure, but it's a defining moment for the system to me.

The-Wonderful-101-Screenshot.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles X

While I found the game a bit overwhelming at the time, it would be a crime to not show it off. A massive, very ambitious title.

xenoblade-chronicles-x.jpg

Yoshi's Wooly World

Often overlooked, but this is likely the second best entry in the series. Beautiful, fun alone or in coop with tons of challenge and charm. It's not brought up nearly enough I think.

Yoshis-Woolie-World-1.jpg

Hopefully this doesn't come off too PR like, I like making picture topics/post and have a lot of enthusiasm for this system :p I omitted titles the OP already mentioned but they are all worth playing as well.

The Wii U is the moment Nintendo turned into shit, forever. Excluding games that were ported to Switch or 3DS, which shouldn't really count since people who skipped the Wii U got them anyways, and complete garbage like Amiibo Festival we have no Zelda, no Mario Kart, no Metroid, no Pokemon, and lots of low-budget kiddie garbage. This console is an insult for Nintendo's legacy and a scam for everyone who believed Iwata that the console would get the same support other Nintendo consoles had. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I sure won't get a Switch after this disaster of a console.

Evil Carrot

Has anyone seen Cloud?
The Wii U is the moment Nintendo turned into shit, forever. Excluding games that were ported to Switch or 3DS, which shouldn't really count since people who skipped the Wii U got them anyways, and complete garbage like Amiibo Festival we have no Zelda, no Mario Kart, no Metroid, no Pokemon, and lots of low-budget kiddie garbage. This console is an insult for Nintendo's legacy and a scam for everyone who believed Iwata that the console would get the same support other Nintendo consoles had. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I sure won't get a Switch after this disaster of a console.

This post is not particularly productive to the spirit of the topic, and is also filled with a lot of convenient/inaccurate data. While it's very easy to see why the system could be seen as a disappointment to someone, to claim it as Nintendo being 'shit forever', excluding games that were released on systems later, and saying it didn't have entries in series that it did.. It's not a particularly high quality contribution really. Hopefully you will consider a more balanced approach to your discussions on this or other matters around the forum.

You're fully alright to dislike or like any platform you wish, but try to do so with a more rational process. It leads to higher quality discussion rather than just being inflammatory.

shpankey

not an idiot
Magnusmaster, I couldn't disagree any more strongly with your post above, on just about every point.

Saying stuff like: "shit, forever", "complete garbage", "low-budget kiddie garbage", "insult for Nintendo's legacy", "a scam for everyone" "disaster of a console" is not only ludicrous, but provocative and inflammatory, and is not what this thread is about, at all.

edit: mod said it best above too

p.s. awesome pics goldenpp72

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I loved my time with the Wii U. Lots of really great Nintendo games with some decent 3rd party options.

MARIO 3d world in particular was one of my favorite games of the year it came out. The levels are fantastic and ha e lots of creative ideas in just about every world. The final levels are the epitome of 3d non open world exploritory in any platform. Loved it!

orborborb

Oh, these are all my exact opinions as well, I just forgot about them at the time I posted. I suppose I can add Wii Fit U and Game and Wario did some mildly amusing Gamepad required stuff as well. And Zombi U is better with the Gamepad.

pots555

I’m also a big fan of the console. Beside the great games, I really enjoy the fact that you can play original Wii games on it. I am currently going trough some great games because of this. Plus, I still have Xenoblade Chronicle X to play. I am also a big fan of Wii Fit U. Great console in my opinion.

goldenpp72

goldenpp72's post made me appreciate it a little more, Wii U did have some good games but so very few of them.

No doubt the system definitely is lacking in overall titles. However, the system does serve a very specific niche pretty well. Basically, if you love platformers, experimental games and Nintendo titles in general, it was still a pretty great system. The issue with it is kind of similar to the US Sega Saturn, there is a lot to love there but only a small base of people would really appreciate it.

I'm a collector so I see a lot of context in every system, with that being said, I own around 80 Wii U titles and around 300 for the Wii, a system I consider weaker than other Nintendo platforms, so yeah it definitely has its limitations audience wise. The Switch is basically poised to dominate the Wii U in a very short time frame lineup wise admittedly, but just because something isn't good in comparison to other things overall, doesn't mean it's not worth investing in.

The only thing I think will hurt the U in perception really over time, is that I think most of its lineup will end up on the Switch. Right now though, it still has a good deal of exclusives to play around with. It's a shame some people treat it like its the Virtual Boy or Jaguar, when in reality it's just a weak Nintendo console, which is like being the worst looking hot girl in some peoples worlds :p

I also loved my Wii Us (I had three). I understand it was a disaster in sales, but it ended up with a great bunch of incredible games.

Other colleagues have told you which titles above, but I have to say Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad were pure magic for me.

I recognise that it will be kind of romantic if titles as The Wonderful 101 or Captain Toad remained in Wii U only, without a Switch launch.

But I would love having the little Captain Toad and Toadette in my little Switch. In the same way that most of the Wii U line up. Besides, these great titles deserve better sales.

In brief, I think having a Wii U with its games in your collection is a good choice, no doubt.

jts

...hate me...
It was way overpriced because of the stupid tablet.
If it was $199 and had half decent marketing it would have been fine.

No Joke.
So, because it wasn't fine, the Switch was still necessary, right?

Also, being fine or not, the Wii U would still need a successor.

Lmao, what an asshat.

LTTP, sorry OP there was no party to be late to...

Loved my Wii U but what a sad system compared to the switch

I disagree. I love my Wii U and got a Switch and have no idea why it's so popular.

It's just a Wii U gamepad without the Wii U.

That OP is outstanding. I didn't even know Splatoon had a singleplayer, or I would have purchased it (nobody ever talked about it).

My surprise game was Pikmin 3. I had never played one prior to it, and I was amazed at how tight everything is. Nice strategy game for a console.

I need to finish Sonic Lost World. I instantly gave up on it after I realized it would not be as fast as Generations or Unleashed.

NSMBWU is the best Mario game, hands down. They couldn't top it, so we got Mario Maker.

TBQH I didn't "get" Bayonetta 1 until after I finished 2. Trash story, but indeed, the best pure action game since Ninja Gaiden, as the OP said.

checkcola

Bayonetta 2 came with the original game, so I got two games for the price of one, definitely good value. Mario 3D world, I loved. New Super Mario Wii U was a blast. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, great stuff.

I got a lot of classic games on my Wii U via the virtual console, Zelda games, Metroid games, Mario games, and so on, so its a good hub to have access to those games from the past I love so much. And of course, I can access Wii games via my Wii U as well.

I also make use of the Wii Fit U to help me with my weight, lol. It's a nice little system for me.

goldenpp72

I disagree. I love my Wii U and got a Switch and have no idea why it's so popular.

It's just a Wii U gamepad without the Wii U.

That OP is outstanding. I didn't even know Splatoon had a singleplayer, or I would have purchased it (nobody ever talked about it).

My surprise game was Pikmin 3. I had never played one prior to it, and I was amazed at how tight everything is. Nice strategy game for a console.

I need to finish Sonic Lost World. I instantly gave up on it after I realized it would not be as fast as Generations or Unleashed.

NSMBWU is the best Mario game, hands down. They couldn't top it, so we got Mario Maker.

TBQH I didn't "get" Bayonetta 1 until after I finished 2. Trash story, but indeed, the best pure action game since Ninja Gaiden, as the OP said.

I think minimizing the Switch as 'just the gamepad without the U' is a bit silly considering the systems reception vs the Wii U. Even if that were the case, there is an argument about doing something right or not at all, and that is applicable to the Wii U in some context. It's important however to understand that the Wii U was designed to have the gamepad be a second screen, it was basically their console attempt of the DS concept but with those limitations in mind for the games. The issue of course is that so few games actually used the concept well that it basically seemed like a solution in search of a problem.

That said, most remember the Wii U then from being able to play the games on the tiny screen and enjoyed that a lot, and this is where the Switch is a proper evolution off of yeah. The difference is, I can go further then 20 feet or more than one room away and actually still play the thing, I can even go out of my house or travel on a plane with it. Nintendo basically took the only concept that worked with the U and made it the primary premise of the new system, fully functional this time. Adding the motion controllers back along with having built in 2 player function for every unit is also a strong appeal for many and definitely both defining and functional aspects of the Switch.

Wii U is a concept that never matured and outright didn't work, depending, while Switch is confidently executing on every premise it has while looking sleeker and better designed in the process. The marketing is also much stronger as is the release list this far in, it's pretty simple to see where Nintendo learned from their errors. The Wii U is a great system in hindsight but a lot of people forget just how abysmal its first year basically was, by the time the game momentum started swinging the system had already flat lined. Nintendo has always launched big great games to bank on their new control/hardware concepts, the fact that the most noteworthy usage of the U was a game that launched years later (Mario Maker) just shows they didn't really get it. Another thing to consider, and this is technically speculation but seems pretty obvious, but the Switch will benefit from gaining all the titles that would have been in development for 3DS or the successor of it. The Switch is the successor of both the 3DS and Wii U as far as I can see, which will result in the combination of the two lineups but into one device, far outstripping what either system was able to accomplish on their own, and doing so with better quality visuals/productions and in the case of the 3DS, a generational gap in hardware.

PrimeTime

Wii U is a concept that never matured and outright didn't work, depending, while Switch is confidently executing on every premise it has while looking sleeker and better designed in the process. The marketing is also much stronger as is the release list this far in, it's pretty simple to see where Nintendo learned from their errors..

The farther removed from this product I become (and able to see what 'works' for people in terms of technology, the more I see that the Wii U was a very difficult concept for consumers to grasp. Even if the marketing/advertising was spot on, it still would be very confusing to consumers in 2012 given the fact that people were excited about using their mobile devices anywhere (as opposed to being tethered to a limited distance from the tv). That is to say, I think the marketing and advertising folks had a very difficult task to trying to educate the general public on what the Wii U was.

goldenpp72

The farther removed from this product I become (and able to see what 'works' for people in terms of technology, the more I see that the Wii U was a very difficult concept for consumers to grasp. Even if the marketing/advertising was spot on, it still would be very confusing to consumers in 2012 given the fact that people were excited about using their mobile devices anywhere (as opposed to being tethered to a limited distance from the tv). That is to say, I think the marketing and advertising folks had a very difficult task to trying to educate the general public on what the Wii U was.

A lot of variables played against the Wii U, confusion was definitely one of them. I mean, even this forum was confused during the initial reveal, if a person were motivated they'd find plenty of 'is it a controller add on?' kind of post. It didn't help that the actual system looks so similar to the Wii. You have a device many thought was an add on, followed by its first year of releases being very low key, low level marketing, total loss of interest in the Wii, and no real hype around the media or users. The Wii U was probably most known in the hardcore base for.. Miiverse of all things. The Wii U kind of felt like a mixture of arrogance combined with a half assed innovation and a total lack of strategy when it comes to the release lineup. In hindsight we have gotten hints that Nintendo struggled with the transition to HD and it caused a lot of growing pains, which is basically what the Wii U is, the 'awkward' phase. The Switch is the grown up confident and focused version of that, and it seems to be working out pretty good at the moment.

Thankfully, I am both a Nintendo fan and also a fan of 'arcadey' things. I love experiments, tinkering, creative ideas, even if they don't always pan out. It's a very joy filled element of this hobby for me, but it was one system I liked that I would have trouble justifying to non enthusiast for sure. I just wish that people understood that the U did serve a small set of people quite well, and isn't an outright bad system.

All the posts here are from Nintendo lovers, which is fine, but the game recommendations, while very good games won't really wow anyone.

Stick with Zelda, it literally is a 9.5/10 game while the other games are closer to 8-8.5/10.

Enjoy.

prag16

Banned
All the posts here are from Nintendo lovers, which is fine, but the game recommendations, while very good games won't really wow anyone.

Stick with Zelda, it literally is a 9.5/10 game while the other games are closer to 8-8.5/10.

Enjoy.

Get outta here. Dismissive BS. This is just your opinion. And Bayonetta 2 is an all time great game (yes that's my opinion, but coming from someone who never really was into that genre beforehand).

Other random thought after firing up the Wii U a few times recently with my 5 year old son...

...that Wara Wara Plaza has no soul ever since Miiverse was shuttered.

394Qm3p.gif

DKPOWPOW

It's a great system now (the beginning was rocky).
Some games I consider must play's if you're a fan of the respective series:

Star Fox Zero - Very underrated, it's a great sequel/remake of SF64. When the controls click it really Play like nothing else out there, and co-op is surprisingly fun.

DK Tropical Freeze - A true gem that is the best in the franchise.

Smash Bros. - Get it while the online is still up, possibly the best game on Wii U. Amazing cast of fighters, just a blast to play.

Nintendoland - If you have some friends and some wiimotes, it's probably the best party game on the system.

Black Ops II - I don't know if anyone still plays it online, but this is the best CoD since 4.

Captain Toad - If you like his levels in 3d world this is a must play, amazing level design.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - Best game since Chaos Theory, loved the variety of playstyles.

Aztorian

Pretty much the first party games are worth your time. The worlds all colorful, pretty unique and fun. Even though some games might not be your first choice due to playstyle, Nintendo allways seem to make their games interesting even though you are not into that kind of game normally. Atleast, that's my experience.

Personally I got the Wii U just for TloZ: Windwaker HD. Even though I played the shit out of it on the Gamecube. All the other games I played are just a bonus.

I really enjoyed the virtual console so I could play Donkey Kong Country again. The Switch is amazing, but it still lacks some amazing things Wii U has which makes it no replacement (yet).

Exactly this. It's easy to see that Wii U really was a device made without much consideration to the changing market around Nintendo. For that it has soul of a kind - the quirky yet divisive WaraWara Plaza, Miiverse and eShop music are all testament to this - but at the same time it makes it incredibly easy to see why no one really wanted it.

Even I only really played the essential Wii U titles rather than multiplatform games, which is completely opposite to my situation with the Switch where I already have over three dozen games. The Switch hardware is energising for even the most familiar of games, yet Wii U's really wasn't despite being this quirky thing that nothing else is like.

Chinbo37

I have nearly all the games I want for Wii U (physical), am I missing anything? Any suggestions? For multiplats I generally get them on PC;

Games I Have

Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fast Racing Neo
Game & Wario
Hello Kitty Kruisers
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8