• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: World of Final Fantasy or this should have been a 30th Anniversary game

Mario007

I've recently finished my playthrough of World of Final Fantasy and after going on an JRPG stint with FFXV, Tales of Zesteria and I Am Setsuna I have to say I enjoyed this game the most when thinking about it.

The game had everything I look for in a Final Fantasy- fun characters who don't mind having fun but at the same time can offer serious thoughts when they need to. Lann and Reynn never became annoying, not even Tama got anywhere close. In fact they all complimented each other rather well. Most of the games dumb jokes landed for me and brought along a nice feeling of jollyness as I was travelling around the world. This applies especially for the Intervention quests which are so ridiculous they measure up the some of the weird side activities you do in the PS1 FF games.
Having said that both Lann and Reynn got their character moments and character development pretty nicely done (though in the former case it did come a bit too late in the game).

While there wasn't a real world map (something that I don't care for too much), I felt it was a great sense of exploration going from area to another and discovering the world of Grymoire. There was enough different environments and cities and dungeons that I never felt I was bored. In a way the game reminded me a lot of FFX and what it did well with regards exploration.

Combat was interesting, if a bit too easy. It is quite easy to steamroll through the game using one or two stacks that you made at the beginning of the game, especially since thanks to the Colliseum you can capture a lot of powerful mirages quite early.

The story overall was also very good. For Chiba's first story and direction credit, he did very well. It starts off a bit rough with a lot of lore being dumped at you in the first twenty minutes but after that the game eases you in quite nicely. The twist with the Dyad being Lann and Ryenn was excellent, I felt, and really did a lot for the character development of the twins. The fake ending as well, full on embraced the video game nature of the game which was a nice touch. The way the villains are presented too, felt like a very good mix between the hamminess of Kingdom Hearts and the seriousness of the judges from FFXII. Honestly the story made much more sense and was much more involving that any of the above three JRPGS I mentioned before. Probably the first time an FF game had a good, coherent story that was told well since FFX.

I know the game didn't sell well but honestly wish we could get a sequel. There are some obvious sequel hooks in it, hinting at a saga similar to Kingdom Hearts if the sales were there. Unfortunately, I think Square released it at a very bad time. It came a month before FFXV so no one was really paying attention. A much better thing for the game, since it is a celebration of FF characters, would be have this be a big anniversery game to get people hyped for. But that's Square's management for you...

Lastly, i think after this game I'd love to see more of the behind the scenes people at Square taking a crack at Final Fantasy. I wouldn't mind Chiba writing or direction a new Final Fantasy.

Exentryk

It really was a celebration! Beautifully directed cutscenes, great funny intervention quests and fantastic fan service! Loved it a lot!

giphy.gif

Honestly I couldn't get into it.

It's way too cute for me, and the voice acting and cutscenes are so cringeworthy. I'm not a fan of that monster stacking system on the characters as well. I couldn't stand them and drop the game after 3 hours or so. I wish they'd go with I am Setsuna -styled Final Fantasy game, but with richer story and system.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's not a perfect game but it's still a good one.

I'd say it's much better than SE's efforts last gen (in fact, this gen is almost better than or on-par with SE's PS2 gen)

120v

really want to check it out at some point but everything i've seen of the combat turned me off. nothing terrible just not my cup o tea

holding out for a PC port (since that's kind of standard for SE now) but i may pick it up in a year or two regardless

Lucreto

Love the game.

I still haven't finished it yet but I will hopefully get to it soon.

The only miss step for me is not using the victory fanfare after battle.

When you changed the battle music it should have changed the victory fanfare as well.

Mario007

It's way too cute for me, and the voice acting and cutscenes are so cringeworthy. I'm not a fan of that monster stacking system on the characters as well. I couldn't stand them and drop the game after 3 hours or so. I wish they'd go with I am Setsuna -styled Final Fantasy game, but with richer story and system.

Honestly, I was thinking the same when I saw the trailers and even when I played the demo. I was always going to play it, because it is Final Fantasy but I held out for a long time to get it on sale. After leaving the first town though, the cuteness for me went away and I was just enjoying my time with the game.

The Dude

Yea I love feel of the combat, but my God.. I can't stand how cutesy it all is.. I just can't get into that level of cutesy

jb1234

I really wanted to like it but the characters and tone of the game were so goofy that I gave up about three hours in. Just can't stand that style of storytelling. The battles were also too easy and uninvolved.

(Great soundtrack though. I almost kept playing just for it.)

Isotropy

Uhh, thanks for the completely unmarked spoilers? This game isn't that old, I'm only halfway through. Please tell me nothing major has been ruined :/

ffvorax

Could have been sold like the 30th anniversary game to me.

It's not perfect, and I wanted more connections and features from the previous FF, but it was overall very nice, fun, and nice packed.

A little love letter to fans, also enjoyable by newcomers.

Mario007

Uhh, thanks for the completely unmarked spoilers? This game isn't that old, I'm only halfway through. Please tell me nothing major has been ruined :/

You're in an LTTP thread...having spoilers as part of those impressions is natural to assume.

Sort of agree..
Playing it no was my last pre-persona5 jrpg and..
Combat is fun, albeit plagued by the fact that there arte some mirage that stands higher than others If only because they have more evolution and this more effective passive/actives..
On top of that, the stacking system is a blessing and a curse, as some nice are almost never used because they lack the possibility to fit into your stack ad they offer duplicate actives to what is offered by another stack component..
This holds especially true for small mirages, ad their counterpart L mirages arte usually harder to come by, and when you find a solid L mirage, you build around it..
It would have been better If reynn/lan could switch to s size as well, but okke it was fine-ish..
All in all a solid game, with a lot of cameo and a nice pace..
Came in expecting nothing, but after 12 Hours i'm pleasantly surprirsed..

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of fun, but way too easy. I also wish the voice acting was a lot better. Everyone sounded the same, and it was all sunday morning cartoon caliber.

Top Bottom