• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Anime or Not?

SCB3

Chapter 3 is complete and Pyra transformed into Blonde Waifu Mythra! (I know there from Smash! Didn't know it was the same character) and some looong cutscenes, I have 0 idea whats going on but I'm here for the ride!

Nautilus

Banned
Chapter 3 is complete and Pyra transformed into Blonde Waifu Mythra! (I know there from Smash! Didn't know it was the same character) and some looong cutscenes, I have 0 idea whats going on but I'm here for the ride!
Well, you can switch between Pyra and Mythra on Smash. That wasn't a coincidence!

SCB3

I think I'm near the end of Chapter 3, I do have a question though, what the point of having other Blades when the story focuses so much on Pyra (and I guess Roc at this point) it makes me not want to even try any others tbh

SCB3

Sorry but what bullshit is this:

I'm on a mission to find some Ash and I have a choice, read some Nipon or send a merc group out to stake these barrels, I don't have the blades required for Nopin level 2 so I have to send the mercs, this takes 30 fucking minutes!!! Oh and this is a main quest..... amazing Game Design here

Oh its in game time as well, can't just forward the switches time or play something else on the Switch

Last edited:

SCB3

Wow they really back load the bosses at the end of Chapter 4, a quick guide look shows I've done 3 of 5 so far

SCB3

On to Chapter 5 and who the fuck are all these gods all of a sudden, I still don't know why I need to go to Elysium, looks like the story is stepping up into JRPG now, finally

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I still don't know why I need to go to Elysium
Have you not paying attention to the story? From the beginning Rex explained how big titans are who make land for people of Alrest are dying. Rex believes in Elysium are enough land to support all people so they don’t fight over the little land it has left.

SCB3

Have you not paying attention to the story? From the beginning Rex explained how big titans are who make land for people of Alrest are dying. Rex believes in Elysium are enough land to support all people so they don’t fight over the little land it has left.
Ah thats why, I continued from about 2 hours in so missed the opening

I miss the art styles of Monolithsoft games prior to Xenoblade. Well actually I thought the original Xenosaga’s art style was kinda fugly but that’s about it

Last edited:

SCB3

ok, I'm in love with the OST in this, so many good tracks, it's almost every area as well, I love the Battle music as well

Nautilus

Banned
ok, I'm in love with the OST in this, so many good tracks, it's almost every area as well, I love the Battle music as well
You'll love every OST from every Xenoblade then. XC 3 has been even better(so far, still early on that game)

Gambit2483

Finally made it to Fonsa Myma christ is the reason this game is so long due to the shitty map? My god it was a slog getting here, still 11 Hours in, Level 23 ish and going good, these Chapters are long though
😂 You haven't seen anything yet. The maps do get more interesting though.

SCB3

😂 You haven't seen anything yet. The maps do get more interesting though.
Oh getting to Rex's Village was a pain in the ass, got so lost for a good hour cause I missed a "Switch"

Fighting a Titan now, this seems pretty epic

SCB3

Only thing I'll add is the Tank,healer, dps stuff is far too embedded to the point where I struggle using any other team than Rex, Toro and Nia, like I tried Zeke as he's always levelled above and cannot stay alive enough

SCB3

So a few more hours in and got stuck at a Spider web, this forced me to learn how to learn how the Field Mastery stuff worked and how to actually bond Cores to different party members! You know where this info may have been useful? 20 fucking hours ago!

Apparently got some very Rare Blades though, interesting Gatcha mechanic on a RPG

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
After 26 Hours I still don't know what Blades are, they look like Robots mostly but the main ones dont?
Race of weaponized and sentient beings. So robots, androids, and aliens. It's very anime.

Collecting them is awful since it amounts to a F2P gacha game.

Gambit2483

So a few more hours in and got stuck at a Spider web, this forced me to learn how to learn how the Field Mastery stuff worked and how to actually bond Cores to different party members! You know where this info may have been useful? 20 fucking hours ago!

Apparently got some very Rare Blades though, interesting Gatcha mechanic on a RPG

Yea, that was a major initial complaint of the game. Thankfully XC3 removed that aspect. While it's nice as a extra mechanic it's use as a progession barrier...not so much

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I put like 25 hours into it and got up to after where Pyra's real form was revealed then stopped playing it. It has by far the best designs of the Xenoblade series, even with Nomura involved. Once I'm done with Live A Live I might pick it back up.

People afraid of "anime" shit are just casuals. Laughing at that post about Castlevania being a deep and mature show. Yeah dude, love when Alucard got raped in a threesome. Epic content.

Last edited:

SCB3

I put like 25 hours into it and got up to after where Pyra's real form was revealed then stopped playing it. It has by far the best designs of the Xenoblade series, even with Nomura involved. Once I'm done with Live A Live I might pick it back up.

People afraid of "anime" shit are just casuals. Laughing at that post about Castlevania being a deep and mature show. Yeah dude, love when Alucard got raped in a threesome. Epic content.
Live A Live is on my list, I enjoyed the small part of the Demo I played, still have Octopath Traveller to finish at some point, I only did the Dancers first section

The Anime part is not something I'm scared of but it comes across as overly childish(?) which in this is kinda weird as it deals with Adult themes as well, like there are overtly sexual scenes mixed in with Poppis voice, its fucking strange

Since I didn't get an answer on the other topic, and this one seems to have a lot more activity, I'll ask here as well; I'm about to play the first Xenoblade for the first time (on the Switch), anything I should know before starting? Like permanently missable stuff or the like? I'm a bit scared of going into a big JRPG completely blind after playing Tales of Vesperia lol

Nautilus

Banned
Since I didn't get an answer on the other topic, and this one seems to have a lot more activity, I'll ask here as well; I'm about to play the first Xenoblade for the first time (on the Switch), anything I should know before starting? Like permanently missable stuff or the like? I'm a bit scared of going into a big JRPG completely blind after playing Tales of Vesperia lol
No, I don't think so. At least, not that I remember.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Eventually you'll want to watch this. Its spoiler free:

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My question, why does a Robot need boobs?

x7IdfMA.gif

So they can do this for an attack?

Gambit2483

There's a city called Alcamoth...do all quest you can before chapter 14.

Other than that you should be good 👍

SCB3

ok the last part of Chapter 7 just sucks, easy to get lost, aggro from every enemy, alot are over levelled and my god does your teams AI like to fall and have 0 HP just as an enemy attacks

SCB3

These chapters seem to be getting shorter but the story is picking up really good, I like this alot

Fuck Infernal Guldo though and his one shot bullshit, though I went and watched a Combat guide and I was missing so much like Cancelling Auto attacks, creating the elemental Orbs and cancelling Driver Arts (though I still don't know how to do that)

SCB3

On to Chapter 9, gonna finish this over the weekend, been a lot of fun, going to move on to the First game before I tackle 3 I think, if only to make sense of the story, I'm unsure about the DLC though

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm unsure about the DLC though
The DLC is really good, in the base game you get little of flashback on Jin and Lora's backstory but in Torna DLC you get the full story and its really well done and they put the nice twist to XC2's combat.

Nautilus

Banned
On to Chapter 9, gonna finish this over the weekend, been a lot of fun, going to move on to the First game before I tackle 3 I think, if only to make sense of the story, I'm unsure about the DLC though
Chapter 10 is basically the final boss only, so yeah, you should be able to finish it in a day or two.

SCB3

Chapter 10 is basically the final boss only, so yeah, you should be able to finish it in a day or two.
Pretty much at the end of Chapter 9, that last section before Jin is such a bitch, so many enemies there that do so much damage, though it does force me to learn the Orb floating damage stuff, which is useful now towards the end

SCB3

At the final boss, just under 40 hours played as well, which seems a lot shorter than most people are saying (how long to beat even says 68 hours) but all geared up and ready to lose a lot!

SCB3

At the final boss, just under 40 hours played as well, which seems a lot shorter than most people are saying (how long to beat even says 68 hours) but all geared up and ready to lose a lot!
And we're done first time, bit of a weak final boss but the visuals are very cool!

Tbh I very rarely needed to switch my team up for most of this, but I've enjoyed my time, a very good 8/10 imo, I'm glad I gave it a real chance

The only real thing I can take away is the confusing combat until you "get it" and the focus on Field masterys locking access to the main path and being dependent on RNG cause of the Gatcha blades unlocking.

I need a JRPG break now I think but next time I have the 1st game to play and then there is the newly released 3rd entry. I also then have this Tales/Trails series thats caught my eye recently...

I need a JRPG break now I think but next time I have the 1st game to play and then there is the newly released 3rd entry. I also then have this Tales/Trails series thats caught my eye recently...
So far I'm enjoying the first one a bit more. Simpler combat mechanics, so it feels less "confusing", although there's a bit of RNG involved for chain attacks.
No Nia though. :messenger_pensive:

Top Bottom