• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles is EXCELLENT (Playthrough ongoing; please mark spoilers!)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some people do prefer the remote+nunchunk since you can move in battle and select arts without using some wonky claw grip. But it has worse camera control in return.

But really, either works just fine. It's a matter of preference. The downside of each is very minimal.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I've been sitting on it for months.

How do people rate playing with a WiiMote? If I really need a gamepad, I'll order one.
To attack you have to select "arts", which are the stardock things down on the screenshots of the game. You select this with the Dpad.

With a Gamepad, it's difficult to move and select arts at the same time, but the right stick is free to move camera at any time.

With Wiimote + Nunchuk, selecting arts and circling menus can be done while moving, which is great, but to move the camera, you have to press the c button + Dpad, which is not ideal, but it works.

Both setups are fine, but I personally prefer Wiimote, which is what the game was designed for. I've played on both BTW, and finished the game with a Gamepad, because Dolphin.

Herne

I'm jealous of anyone who loves this game. I tried to like it and failed. The last thing I remember doing is aimlessly wandering around the first city not knowing what the hell to do... although I may be wrong since it was years ago now. I might go back to it and see just what I was doing.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't remember camera control being terribly crucial in this game due to the nature of its combat so going mote+nunchuk is pretty comfortable to me.
Pressing c + ZR will center the camera behind the main character, so if you are in a fight against a giant boss in a place where you could fall, this can save your life.
I'm jealous of anyone who loves this game. I tried to like it and failed. The last thing I remember doing is aimlessly wandering around the first city not knowing what the hell to do... although I may be wrong since it was years ago now. I might go back to it and see just what I was doing.
And you somehow chose to not follow the arrow on top of the screen to reach your destination, and quit at 10 minutes?

Herne

Pressing c + ZR will center the camera behind the main character, so if you are in a fight against a giant boss in a place where you could fall, this can save your life.

And you somehow chose to not follow the arrow on top of the screen to reach your destination, and quit at 10 minutes?

I honestly can't remember. Like I said, I might just give the game another try when I get back home tomorrow, see where I left off. Now that I think about it, I might be confusing memories with another game.

shauntu

And there's a love triangle brewing here. Aww yiss.

Man, this game. Oh, and Prison Island was an amazing setting, BTW. The huge doorways, the pouring rain, the battle in the sky, etc. This is grand fantasy at its finest.

I really love how they handled the
love triangle
, btw. As for the huge doorways at Prison Island --
those go well with the size of Zanza don't they... like, maybe the world used to have life-forms that were all really large... hey the Hi Entia seem to have a lot of statues that are really large too! Plus the crashed ship that Colony 9 gets its Ether supplies from was designed for life forms that are really large too!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Classic Controller Pro is superior because of right analog stick camera control. The game has zero motion control usage so it's purely a comfort thing.

Classic controller is not superior because you cant select your arts while your moving which is a big reason in combat

foxuzamaki

THIS GAME.

I unsealed Prison Island. Shit got real. I went deep into Valak Mountain. Shit got real again. There is not enough martinlawrenceinbadboys2.gif to express how real shit is getting.

So many mysteries, like
how did Fiora survive the attack on Colony 9, and what is she doing working for the Mechon
, and
how did Fiora know about Zanza, and what's the connection there
, and
what is Alcamoth's minister of defense scheming to do
, and
what's the connection between Alvin and Zanza and what are they scheming to do
, and
what is Mumkhar's beef with Dunban and Colony 6 and why did he defect to the Mechon
, and
who are these mystery figures prepping the faced Mechon back at Galahad Fortress
, and
how is Fiora still so sexy with a robot body
? SO MANY MYSTERIES.

I am currently stuck on
Mumkhar
. I tried using Melia against him, and then Shulk. I got him to about 50% HP with Shulk, but in the end he bodies my entire team. That's OK, because he's one of my favorite villains ever, and I love
the flight suit with the Metal Gear Rising-like jawline and the beam claws
. But I do want to beat him and see what happens with
Fiora

Man, this game. Oh, and Prison Island was an amazing setting, BTW. The huge doorways, the pouring rain, the battle in the sky, etc. This is grand fantasy at its finest.

Tell us your reaction to the big twist, in detail :D

TheMoon

Classic controller is not superior because you cant select your arts while your moving which is a big reason in combat

I never needed to do this in a way that made it a problem and I needed camera control way more. So, yes it is superior to me :) ...like I said, it's entirely a matter of preference and comfort.

Kasumin

Totally agree with you on this game. I bought a Wii and imported the EU version just to play this game. No regrets whatsoever. I was skeptical about the hype at first... then I got far enough in and realized the hype didn't really prepare me for this game.

Playing this game has really made me look at JRPGs differently. Monolith Soft did so many things with Xenoblade that I never in my wildest dreams imagined you could even do in a JRPG. Insane scale? Huge, varied landscapes that could literally take hours to explore? A complete lack of invisible walls? This game kept blowing my mind.

I remember when I was about to head to (location spoiler:
Sword Valley
) and I was so hyped. I remember sitting at my desk at work waiting for the end of the day so I could go home and start the game up. Like I was going on a trip to Hawaii or something. Playing that game, I really felt like I was in those locations. Very few games (can't even think of any right now) have given me that sense of immersion.

It's not for everyone, but for me Xenoblade definitely instilled this sense of childlike wonder I hadn't felt in ages. Between this post and Shulk being in Smash 4, I almost want to get a WiiU right now and replay this on my NA copy. Best 160 hours of my gaming life, easily.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Neither are terribly important though, selecting an art takes like a half a second and the game isn't that fast paced. I'd say camera movement might be slightly more important so you can see your surroundings for other enemies or enemy HP during fights against multiple enemies.

The arrow at the top of the screen always points you towards your goal. It even tells you how far away it is...

Neiteio

I'd recommend trying it again. Usually there's an arrow at the top of the screen telling you where to go. Also, the first city, while huge in scope and scale, has a rather simple layout. Essentially a circular market, followed by a two-level plaza, followed by a huge cross-shaped walkway, which leads to the military courtyard (where the lab is) on the left side, and the residential district (essentially a main street and backstreet with a few alleys in-between) on the right side. And at the end of the residential district is a nature park with a pathway leading up to a lookout. Also, if you dive into the water beneath Colony 9 at any time, you can find myriad items, as well as the occasional neat creature to fight.

I'd recommend reading my OP, where I list some tips that maximize one's enjoyment of this wonderful game. For example, talk to everyone you meet, and check each area both during the day and at night (you can access the in-game clock by hitting Minus on the remote, scrolling over to the clock icon with the D-Pad, and then freely skip ahead 12 hours). As you talk to people with exclamation points over your head, you'll log their quests in your Quest log. Do not feel overwhelmed trying to complete these. They're all optional. They're just a good way to make gold and gain EXP, as well as the occasional rare item. And many of them don't require you to come back to the quest-giver -- they'll be completed out in the field as you kill the enemies described or find the required items.

So stockpile lots of quests, and then simply follow the arrow to your next destination and advance the story, which is very well-paced. And in the course of simply playing the game, you'll not only learn the lay of the land, such as that first city, but you'll unlock warp points around it (bring up your map by hitting Minus, scrolling left to the Map icon, selecting a region, and then selecting a landmark to use). And you'll naturally complete many of the quests you've accumulated, simply by following the main story. :)

Vyse24

I am currently stuck on
Mumkhar
. I tried using Melia against him, and then Shulk. I got him to about 50% HP with Shulk, but in the end he bodies my entire team. That's OK, because he's one of my favorite villains ever, and I love
Fiora
Yeah this one gave me trouble. IIRC, I set my team up with Shulk, Dunban and Reyn for chain attack purposes. Just make sure he targets Reyn more than Dunban since he can take more pain.

Neiteio

Yeah this one gave me trouble. IIRC, I set my team up with Shulk, Dunban and Reyn for chain attack purposes. Just make sure he targets Reyn more than Dunban since he can take more pain.
OK, I'll try that. I may also try looking into gems that give me resistance to Topple or Daze, although I'm not sure which he was inflicting on me.

Neiteio

I now understand how to craft gems! It's much simpler than I thought. First, I choose the quality I want (I.E. Strength Up), and then combine crystals with that quality until I'm as close to 100% as I can get. Then I select one crystal or cylinder that puts me well over 100%. I began the forge process with some crystals at a combined 150-180% percent, and the affinity between Shulk and Reyn scored me a number of IV gems (Strength Up, Agility, HP Up, etc).

Through this, I was able to beat
Mumkhar / Metal Face
at Valak Mountain. Amazing scene! Then the plot thickened with the appearance of
Egil / Gold Face
, and MAN is it heart-wrenching every time
Fiora / Silver Face
is pulled away from Shulk. Amazing voice acting when he calls out the name of you-know-who. So much passion!

Next I was off to Sword Valley and Galahad Fortress, where I had an incredible showdown with
Mumkhar, yet again
! And then I proceeded inside the fortress, a very focused and fun dungeon, where I confronted
Egil / Gold Face AND Fiora / Silver Face
. And that's where shit got real YET AGAIN.

Next thing I know,
dream sequences
and
mouth-to-mouth fluid transfer with sexy robot Fiora on a beach in the middle of nowhere
. Seriously, though, super-touching scene. I saved there for the night (erm, morning, since I played all night). I have no idea how Shulk and you-know-who will meet back up with the others, but I'm eager to find out. :)

This game is seriously such a classic, through and through. I love it!

random25

I now understand how to craft gems! It's much simpler than I thought. First, I choose the quality I want (I.E. Strength Up), and then combine crystals with that quality until I'm as close to 100% as I can get. Then I select one crystal or cylinder that puts me well over 100%. I'd begin the forge process with some crystals at a combined 150-180% percent! The affinity between Shulk and Reyn then scored me a number of IV gems (Strength Up, Agility, HP Up, etc).

Through this, I was able to beat
Mumkhar / Metal Face
at Valak Mountain. Amazing scene! Then the plot thickened with the appearance of
Egil / Gold Face
, and MAN is it heart-wrenching every time
Fiora / Silver Face
is pulled away from Shulk. Amazing voice acting when he calls out the name of you-know-who. So much passion!

Next I was off to Sword Valley and Galahad Fortress, where I had an incredible showdown with
Mumkhar, yet again
! And then I proceeded inside the fortress, a very focused and fun dungeon, where I confronted
Egil / Gold Face AND Fiora / Silver Face
. And that's where it happened yet again:

just-got-real.gif

Next thing I know,
dream sequences[/spoilers] and
mouth-to-mouth fluid transfer with sexy robot Fiora on a beach in the middle of nowhere
. Seriously, though, super-touching scene there. I saved there for the night (erm, morning, since I played all night). I have no idea how Shulk and you-know-who will meet back up with the others, but I'm eager to find out. :)

This game is seriously such a classic, through and through. I love it!
Awesome update! The plot thickens more from there.

Vyse24

Ah, the gem crafting. I always use Shulk and Reyn seeing how it results in Heat and Mega Heat status, which makes things a lot more easier late game. Also, at this point of the game, you should have something set up so gold chests drop more often as enemies can drop the advanced skill books.

Now enjoy the music of the new area. Top-grade stuff.

Neiteio

I've arrived at Mechonis Field. Currently lv. 60. Been doing LOTS of quests, crafting, skill-linking, arts-leveling and more. The previous location, Fallen Arm, is such a great location. I was pleasantly surprised by the
Machina
there and how
hospitable they are
. I also loved all of the character bonding moments while the party is split up and trying to reunite:
Shulk and Fiora... Reyn and Sharla... Dunban and Riki (and Riki pretending he's tired so Melia could rest)... and of course, Dunban reuniting with Fiora
. One heartfelt moment after another. I'm so amazed at how genuine the characters feel in this game. So much heart and soul.

Also, I climbed all the way up to Distant Fingertip, and the view was INCREDIBLE. Some crazy draw distance there, and you could really see how
Hidden Machina Village
sits right in the palm of the Mechonis' severed hand... Now I'm in Mechonis Field, where I've saved for the night. I already like the art direction of the place. And that music is so chill!

foxuzamaki

I've arrived at Mechonis Field. Currently lv. 60. Been doing LOTS of quests, crafting, skill-linking, arts-leveling and more. The previous location, Fallen Arm, is such a great location. I was pleasantly surprised by the
Machina
there and how
hospitable they are
. I also loved all of the character bonding moments while the party is split up and trying to reunite:
Shulk and Fiora... Reyn and Sharla... Dunban and Riki (and Riki pretending he's tired so Melia could rest)... and of course, Dunban reuniting with Fiora
. One heartfelt moment after another. I'm so amazed at how genuine the characters feel in this game. So much heart and soul.

Also, I climbed all the way up to Distant Fingertip, and the view was INCREDIBLE. Some crazy draw distance there, and you could really see how
Hidden Machina Village
sits right in the palm of the Mechonis' severed hand... Now I'm in Mechonis Field, where I've saved for the night. I already like the art direction of the place. And that music is so chill!
Thats one of my favorite parts of the game and made me love the characters that much more. They all treat eachother as good friends by this point in the game and dont mind sharing insecurities with eachother.

Also, I climbed all the way up to Distant Fingertip, and the view was INCREDIBLE.

That was one of those moments where I just stopped in my tracks and stared for a while. Even though it's really far into the game, it was an essential world-building moment for me. It really brought home what the situation was, and where these characters lived. Just an amazing moment. A similar one happens a little later on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Machina
there and how
hospitable they are

Hidden Machina Village

speaking of making gems, you now have the best team for making good cylinders, CHARACTER REDACTED and the Heropon. This is when gem making gets good and even a bit silly, and unadorned beauty+naked Dunban starts falling off

On Valak mountain for the replay and I gotta say this is my favorite area to play around in. The whole vertical aspect of the areas that are also wide and expansive as well as the geysers and slippy sections just make is really fun to traverse and explore. Not to even mention the number of hidden areas and paths.

I am way too hyped to Xenoblade X. I started dreaming about it.

foxuzamaki

On Valak mountain for the replay and I gotta say this is my favorite area to play around in. The whole vertical aspect of the areas that are also wide and expansive as well as the geysers and slippy sections just make is really fun to traverse and explore. Not to even mention the number of hidden areas and paths.

I am way too hyped to Xenoblade X. I started dreaming about it.

It's ok to dream

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I tend to spend too much time in Valak mountains; I have awful luck with the collectepedia in that zone plus its the best early place to grind out affinity if you want to do that. The music is permanently lodged in the back of my head whenever it gets cold out.

Neiteio

If this game had a better combat system, I'd be the best game ever. It was an unforgettable experience.
Xenoblade Chronicles has my favorite combat system in an RPG. It's so, so, SO good. For me, it's addictive to the point I engage nearly every single enemy out in the field. This is probably the first RPG where it's not a chore to get stronger because even the bread-and-butter fights are consistently entertaining. There's something compulsively addictive about rapidly lining up multiple attacks while circling the enemy for context-sensitive blows, shattering the enemy's attack timer as you "change the future," and then the SCWHING sound as you deal the killing blow -- even better when you finish off the enemy with a Chain Attack, linking a Break to a Topple to a Daze, and getting an Affinity Coin at the end. And each character has their own wonderful style, like Melia's load-the-cannon approach, stacking status buffs with her orbs before discharging them one at a time in explosive strikes...

Oh MAN, I get hyped just thinking about it. :-D

TheMoon

If this game had a better combat system, I'd be the best game ever. It was an unforgettable experience.

=O Combat is amazing!

What don't you like about it??

Xenoblade Chronicles has my favorite combat system in an RPG. It's so, so, SO good. For me, it's addictive to the point I engage nearly every single enemy out in the field. This is probably the first RPG where it's not a chore to get stronger because even the bread-and-butter fights are consistently entertaining. There's something compulsively addictive about rapidly lining up multiple attacks while circling the enemy for context-sensitive blows, shattering the enemy's attack timer as you "change the future," and then the SCWHING sound as you deal the killing blow -- even better when you finish off the enemy with a Chain Attack, linking a Break to a Topple to a Daze, and getting an Affinity Coin at the end. And each character has their own wonderful style, like Melia's load-the-cannon approach, stacking status buffs with her orbs before discharging them one at a time in explosive strikes...

Aw yea! This game reminded me why I hate combat systems based on magic points that you have to manually refill which actively discourages magic/tech use. Having combat based entirely around using all the skills available to you with all the team attacks and chaining status effects together even between multiple character and building the arts palette accordingly just makes this an absolutely joy for me. And all the added new intricacies we already know about in Xenoblade X have me sooo excited!

Neiteio

So busy this week. Eager to dive back into Xenoblade Chronicles. I keep thinking of the view from the top of Distant Fingertip. :-O

Since I can check GAF while tending to other matters, feel free to reminiscence about everything up to Mechonis Field, or talk about your love for this game in general!

Crayolan

Machina
there and how
hospitable they are

Hidden Machina Village

Oh man, you've made some significant progress since I last checked this thread. I actually beat the game myself just yesterday, so I'm excited to hear more on someone else's thoughts on the later areas.

Happy to hear you enjoyed
Prison Island
. I really loved that area too if only for the amazing cutscene that takes place, where you know exactly what's going to happen and know you can't do anything about it. You get to share
Shulk's feeling of helplessness throughout the entire scene and I love it
. Such a powerful scene.

Anyway, you're now up to the part of the game where I felt it began to drag for a bit. Just be ready for LOTS of mechon because that's all you'll be seeing for the next few areas. Fortunately, the game picks up right after you get through the few boring areas.

The only problem I had with the combat in the game is that it started out too simple. Over time they add more and more complexity on top of the combat system and that's great, but at the start it's kind of meh and the story is just carrying the gameplay Once you get
Shulk's ability to see the future
things improve though. And once you get Melia everything becomes more fun.

THIS GAME.

I unsealed Prison Island. Shit got real. I went deep into Valak Mountain. Shit got real again. There is not enough martinlawrenceinbadboys2.gif to express how real shit is getting.

So many mysteries, like
how did Fiora survive the attack on Colony 9, and what is she doing working for the Mechon
, and
how did Fiora know about Zanza, and what's the connection there
, and
what is Alcamoth's minister of defense scheming to do
, and
what's the connection between Alvin and Zanza and what are they scheming to do
, and
what is Mumkhar's beef with Dunban and Colony 6 and why did he defect to the Mechon
, and
who are these mystery figures prepping the faced Mechon back at Galahad Fortress
, and
how is Fiora still so sexy with a robot body
? SO MANY MYSTERIES.

I am currently stuck on
Mumkhar
Fiora

Glad you finally got to and finished Prison Island. I was waiting for your reactions to that part. :) That's when the game really took off for me. I mean, I loved it prior to that area, but I was soooo into the story and seeing where it went after that area.

Plus,
Fiora FTW! Love her character.

EDIT: Oh, you've progressed even further! Nice.
I think Fiora is really cool to have in your party again she looks way cooler in her robot body imo. Sort of has that KOS-MOS feel from Xenosaga.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Thats one of my favorite parts of the game and made me love the characters that much more. They all treat eachother as good friends by this point in the game and dont mind sharing insecurities with eachother.

Late game spoiler
That reminds me of the cut scenes on the fallen arm

Where riki wants to take a rest

-

Neiteio, Have you leveled up your Battle Arts?

J_Ark

Also: Riki's Tenderness. I love that song and the moment it plays.

foxuzamaki

oh incase you dont remember neit, seven automatically hurts all mechon, no need to find any kind of anti-mechon swords

Marceles

I'm about 35 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles, around the 45-50% mark (location spoiler:
High Entia Tomb
). I wanted to wait until I finished the game before I did a LTTP, but since I'll be busy the next few days, and since I want to talk about the game right now, I figured I might as well go ahead and post my thoughts. Maybe it'll encourage someone else to check out Shulk's game before Smash Bros. arrives in the West next month.

Going into Xenoblade Chronicles, I knew the general consensus is it's the best JRPG of the last decade, one of the best JRPGs of all time, and one of Nintendo's best games. High praise all around, with a 92/100 on Metacritic.

And so far, the praise is VERY well-deserved.

I must've been "really feeling" Shulk's reveal trailer for Smash Bros., because it compelled me to go out and buy the Wii game rather than waiting for the N3DS remake. I got it pre-owned from Gamestop for about $50, but it seems brand-new; I think they literally took the second printing of the game and simply removed the shrink-wrap. The disk, case, booklet, adverts and Club Nintendo flier are all in pristine condition.

Smash-GAF made me do it:

gaf-xbc9bs7o.jpg

PRESENTATION:

To my delight, this game looks AMAZING on a 47-inch HDTV. I'm playing through the WiiU's HDMI cable. Soft-looking title screen aside, I quickly forgot I was playing a standard-def game from last gen. The depiction of nature here is so verdant and lush, from steamy prehistoric jungles and coastal regions with golden grass and pink coral, to marshlands that glow with a haunting bioluminescence at night. When you emerge from the narrow canyon on the Bionis Leg and behold Gaur Plains for the first time, with its incredible draw distance spanning the horizon and its jagged foothills rising skyward, it's overwhelming in scope, transporting me back to when I was in sixth-grade and entered OoT's Hyrule Field for the first time. Only unlike that game, there's plenty to see and do in this vast grassland, and it's merely one of many massive locations in the game. The scale is simply enormous. The game is set on the bodies of two corpse gods locked in combat, after all! Trust me, I've played other huge and deeply immersive games -- the game I finished prior to this was GTAV, which I had backlogged while I replaced my PS3 -- and while I'm sure this is technically smaller, it sure doesn't seem that way, and a lot of that has to do with immersion.

These landscapes are also teeming with life, a veritable Jurassic Park's worth of creatures. You come across new creatures at every turn, including absolutely massive ones many times your level. It's almost unfathomable that you could ever defeat such creatures, early on in the game, which just goes to show how much you have to grow. And the creature design is impeccable, especially your main foe, the Mechon, with their angular silhouettes and black-and-gold motifs. So many encounters had me saying, "That's awesome."

Another thing that really impressed me about the presentation is the writing, voice acting and cutscene direction. All are top-notch. I'd put this right up there with Kid Icarus Uprising as one of Nintendo's best where storytelling and characterization are concerned. Shulk is a genuinely likeable protagonist who never comes across as whiny or self-pitying. And the friendship he has with Reyn, Dunban and the others is very real and authentic. These are people who trust each other and love each other deeply. They feel like family, and their emotions are always on point. It feels... natural. I grew really tense during some scenes, and laughed out loud at others. If there is a moment that falls flat, I don't remember it, or I haven't seen it yet. Superbly entertaining so far.

PACING:

So we have this huge world, full of breathtaking vistas and incredible creatures. It's a massive adventure, where I hear it's common to log 100+ hours, and that's before you get to New Game Plus.

These days, I'm very busy and find long games daunting. Thankfully, this game moves along at a quick pace. You have a marker telling you which way to go, and a mini-map that tracks your position and time of day. Individual HUD elements can be toggled on/off, as you wish. You can fast-travel, warping to any landmark you've discovered at any time. You can check a log to see when certain NPCs are active (the game has a system like the Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask, where NPCs run on a schedule), and you can adjust the in-game clock to skip to that time and meet that character. You can accept many side-quests, all optional. Most have nice but unnecessary rewards (I.E. gold). These side-quests are recorded in your log, and when you complete them, you usually receive the reward right away -- no need to return to the NPC who gave the quest. You also heal automatically after battle, so no worries about visiting an inn or stockpiling healing items. Your characters all level up together, too, regardless of whether they participated in battle. Everyone earns EXP, Art Points (used to level up abilities), and Skill Points (used to unlock passive bonuses), so everyone in your party is always viable.

All of this is super-convenient. It encourages you to experiment with the many systems in place. You can directly control any member in your party. You can also choose another two members to follow you in the field and fight alongside you in battle, which are all real-time, and seamlessly integrated with no transitions. By performing certain feats, you deepen the Affinity between your active characters, which allows you to perform Skill Links that share passive bonuses between two characters on the Skill Tree. Affinity also allows two characters to have special conversations at certain points on the map marked with a handshake icon, and to perform ever-increasing Chain Attacks where everyone attacks together. And since everyone in your party is always around the same level, it's easy to try out new characters in combat and on the field. And that's great, because all of the characters are wonderful. :)

GAMEPLAY LOOP:

Exploration, combat and optimization are at the core of the game. You explore to discover new landmarks, which earn you EXP and allow for fast travel. Along the way, you find many items in the field, which you'll want to horde rather than sell, since so many of them will automatically complete side-quests (I.E. "find me X of this or Y of that"). You encounter new creatures at every turn, which you can lock onto to see their name and level. You can then attack them by walking within range. In addition, you can lure enemies from afar so you can fight them one at a time, similar to how you handle clusters of tough enemies in Dark Souls.

And you'll want to attack everything you see, since the combat in this game is so fun and rewarding. Once you've locked onto an enemy, you auto-attack by pushing toward them. You also have Arts -- abilities available in a series of icons along the bottom of the screen. Arts can take the form of physical attacks, ether attacks (magic), spells that heal and enhance, and other moves, I.E. increasing an enemy's agro, etc. Every time you use an Art, there is a recharge period before you can use it again. By investing AP to level up an Art, you can reduce its recharge period and increase its power.

Some moves are context-sensitive, dealing more damage from the side or behind, so you'll have to circle-strafe around the enemy while it's distracted by your allies. Other moves inflict Break, at which point the enemy can be briefly incapacitated by a move that inflicts Topple, and then further incapacitated by a move that inflicts Daze, in that order, giving you the opportunity to get in more hits.

You can fight multiple enemies at once, switching between targets and telling your partners where to focus their efforts. New enemies join the fray if they're alerted to your presence. Once defeated, each enemy drops a chest full of loot. This can include crystals, which can also be mined from ether deposits throughout the world. These crystals, in turn, can be forged into gems that can be slotted into holes on your armor and weapons, powering up your character.

Along with mixing and matching new equipment, leveling up your Arts and Skills, linking Skills between characters on the Skill Tree, and buying books to increase the number of times you can level up your Arts, the game offers character growth that's easy to follow and continually rewarding.

Altogether, the gameplay loop of exploration, combat and optimization creates a satisfying rhythm of multitasking, where you always feel like you're making meaningful progress, whether it's the overall story, the myriad side-quests, or your party's overall power. I haven't even touched on all of the systems -- for example, you can also improve Affinity with NPCs, leading to new trades and new quests -- but the loop I described is what makes the game so addictive. And rest assured, everything is well-explained in succinct and clearly illustrated tutorials you can revisit at any time.

OVERALL EFFECT:

Man, this game really hits the spot. Again, I was initially daunted by 1) the alleged length of the game, said to exceed 100 hours, and 2) the fact it's a last-gen Wii game and I'd be playing on an HDTV. But like I said, it looks and sounds fantastic via the WiiU's HDMI cable. And the pacing so far is impeccable, so that there hasn't been a dull moment. The game effortlessly walks a fine line, where the world is huge but navigable, where you can pursue dozens of quests at a time but you naturally complete many of them simply by venturing off the beaten path while following the main story. You're always making progress, you're always growing stronger, you're always discovering new strategies, you're always seeing new places and new creatures and new characters.

And there's nothing jaded or cynical about this game. It truly feels like you're going on an adventure with friends. If that's the appeal of a JRPG, this game has it in spades. And I can't wait to dive back in at the next available opportunity. :)

My whole playthrough I had to keep reminding myself: "This is a Wii game". I think I beat it in a little over 80 hrs, but it can easily go past 100 hrs if you start going sidequest crazy. I want to do a playthrough while using a guide now to see how much I missed, but I'll really have to be in the mood for it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My whole playthrough I had to keep reminding myself: "This is a Wii game". I think I beat it in a little over 80 hrs, but it can easily go past 100 hrs if you start going sidequest crazy. I want to do a playthrough while using a guide now to see how much I missed, but I'll really have to be in the mood for it.

You missed a lot

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh, you've progressed even further! Nice.
I think Fiora is really cool to have in your party again she looks way cooler in her robot body imo. Sort of has that KOS-MOS feel from Xenosaga.

Hell no. CHARACTER REDACTED
Homs
is way better than
Robo
CHARACTER REDACTED.

Neiteio

oh incase you dont remember neit, seven automatically hurts all mechon, no need to find any kind of anti-mechon swords
What do you mean by "seven?"

Late game spoiler
That reminds me of the cut scenes on the fallen arm

Where riki wants to take a rest

-

Neiteio, Have you leveled up your Battle Arts?
Yep, I've been constantly leveling up all of the arts I've assigned each character. This includes checking with each vendor to see if they have manuals for the moves I use so I can level them up even higher.

I've been leveling up the Battle Arts, I've been linking Skills, I've been crafting Rank IV and Rank V gems. I feel like I have a good handle on the systems. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been spreading the gospel of CHARACTER REDACTED for the 7th party member for years now around the internet. It's much more mysterious and is better for those who are truly anal about spoilers.

Top Bottom