• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles is EXCELLENT (Playthrough ongoing; please mark spoilers!)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Technically you can go back there for a bit;
Agniratha might've looked like it exploded in the cutscene after the fight with Yaldabaoth, but in fact the teleporter that brought you there in the first place is still active, you can waltz right in, and the town will look none the worse for the wear. I even did all of the side quests available here after clearing the fight with Yaldabaoth but before tackling Mechonis Core, which is where the real point of no return lies

I'm pretty sure that's actually an oversight by the developers, not intentional.

But yeah, you can go back there during that small window.

Yeah, it's a shame the New Game+ mode sucks in Xenoblade. I have replayed the game three times and every time, I just started a new game without doing NG+. I find the combat fun, so I want it to actually be at least a little challenging and not one-shotting 90% of the bosses.

I am 6-8 hours in and this game excels on everything, I love the characters, story, the world, and the deep combat mechanics. I am going to finish it for sure.

random25

NG+ really is for people who rushed the game in their 1st playthrough. It's basically hunting down those you didn't hunt the 1st time. Also, while not too much of a difference in the game as a whole, you can do some of the quests that have different outcomes.

But if you have experienced almost everything the 1st time, no need to go through NG+.
But Monado III really looks cool :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a shame the New Game+ mode sucks in Xenoblade. I have replayed the game three times and every time, I just started a new game without doing NG+. I find the combat fun, so I want it to actually be at least a little challenging and not one-shotting 90% of the bosses.

It's a shame because if they had offered more options it could have been good.

I'm not sure if the level penalties are coming back in XCX, but if not they should offer the option to not keep your level, art exp, skill exp, etc all individually. So you can customize your NG+ experience.

A hard mode could also be pretty cool, with everything higher level so fights require more strategy. Or an extreme mode where everything is level 100+ out the gate and only gets higher, that would be fun as hell. Level 200+ super bosses? Yessss.

It's a shame because if they had offered more options it could have been good.

I'm not sure if the level penalties are coming back in XCX, but if not they should offer the option to not keep your level, art exp, skill exp, etc all individually. So you can customize your NG+ experience.

A hard mode could also be pretty cool, with everything higher level so fights require more strategy. Or an extreme mode where everything is level 100+ out the gate and only gets higher, that would be fun as hell. Level 200+ super bosses? Yessss

This is what I'm hoping and what I wished Xenoblade had done. I'd love the ability to customize my NG+ experience (keeping arts and skill exp, but not keeping my levels). Or like you said, have a "Hard" mode option that increases levels of enemies.

RPGCrazied

Well, on the plus side of the new game plus you can take on some of those powerful mobs and rare mobs out in the world. Most zones, specially at night has some 90+ level stuff.

Like those Dinosuars in Makna Forest.

Playing this game as a completionist is agonizing. But I love it. I recently resumed my 2 years in progress save on Dolphin (and let me tell you playing this game at SD resolutions just doesn't do it justice) and got past the marsh. That fucking Godwin miniboss took a million tries to beat though until I discovered monado shield. D'oh

I will say the cut and paste MMO side quests are a bit disappointing (and the dizzying number of stat boosting subsystems like affinities), but the combat is fun and interesting and the world is an absolute joy to explore. The sequel looks to build on it in every way, though the anime melodrama could be toned down a bit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, on the plus side of the new game plus you can take on some of those powerful mobs and rare mobs out in the world. Most zones, specially at night has some 90+ level stuff.

Like those Dinosuars in Makna Forest.

You can also do that just continuing your save and doing post-game content though, it's not really NG+ specific. And none of the areas that you can't return to have anything that would be interesting for high level parties, so you aren't really missing out on anything that you would experience in NG+.

In fact you are kind of expected to tackle those enemies in the post-game, since some of those very high level monsters drop rank V crystals that are very useful (if not required).

This is what I'm hoping and what I wished Xenoblade had done. I'd love the ability to customize my NG+ experience (keeping arts and skill exp, but not keeping my levels). Or like you said, have a "Hard" mode option that increases levels of enemies.

Tales of Symphonia did this and I thought it was pretty neat

I came in here because I was listening to the soundtrack and I had a question about "Beyond the Sky."

I'm very early in the game... like.. way early. I just had that little sequence on a park bench within the first.. I guess.. hour of the game.

My question was.. "is this game going to break my heart at some point... this sounds like there are some really tragic elements in here..."

Then I accidentally highlighted the spoilers above me.

fuck

I already like all the characters I've met so far. Particularly one character. That doesn't ruin anything for me though. I can put spoilers away and still appreciate how events go down. Mostly because I tend to guess twists well before they happen as it is. It's the little details that make me happy.

I came in here because I was listening to the soundtrack and I had a question about "Beyond the Sky."

I'm very early in the game... like.. way early. I just had that little sequence on a park bench within the first.. I guess.. hour of the game.

My question was.. "is this game going to break my heart at some point... this sounds like there are some really tragic elements in here..."

fuck

I already like all the characters I've met so far. Particularly one character. That doesn't ruin anything for me though. I can put spoilers away and still appreciate how events go down. Mostly because I tend to guess twists well before they happen as it is. It's the little details that make me happy.

Ah, sorry. But the answer is yes. This game will crush your heart and stomp on it again and again.

HF2014

Wondering something. I tried it and didnt enjoy it at first and second try ( its me, not the game...) , and i was wondering something when i decide to give it a 3rd try. The main quest, you see an arrow showing you where to go or on the map. But for side quest, i , well, didnt found a way to show you where to go. Iv been told to go kill x creature somewhere , but it seem there is no help yo know where to go. Is it like that or i miss something?

Just want to know...might give it a 3rd try tomorrow....

Or is there somewhere like a great explanation of the game ?

Zebetite

Banned

fuck

You have no idea how much more there is to the game outside the spoiler you read. All I'm going to say is that there is a lot, lot, lot, lot lot.

Get back in there and make it count! Feel the flow of battle! For every moment that will break your heart, there are others that will warm it.

Neiteio

Wondering something. I tried it and didnt enjoy it at first and second try ( its me, not the game...) , and i was wondering something when i decide to give it a 3rd try. The main quest, you see an arrow showing you where to go or on the map. But for side quest, i , well, didnt found a way to show you where to go. Iv been told to go kill x creature somewhere , but it seem there is no help yo know where to go. Is it like that or i miss something?

Just want to know...might give it a 3rd try tomorrow....

Or is there somewhere like a great explanation of the game ?
Whenever you reach a new area, start out by venturing off the beaten path and thoroughly exploring the area. This will discover landmarks, which earn you EXP and serve as warp points. It'll also fill in your map with the names of individual areas. That way, the next time you get a quest that says, "Defeat three volfs on Lake Raquel," or whatever, you can pull up the map for Gaur Plain and look for the area labeled Lake Raquel, and then warp to the nearest landmark. You can access the Map by hitting the minus button (when using the Wiimote and Nunchuk), and then scrolling over to the map tab on the far left.

For more tips, please read the very start of this thread. I put a lot of tips in there I found really helpful. :)

HF2014

Whenever you reach a new area, start out by venturing off the beaten path and thoroughly exploring the area. This will discover landmarks, which earn you EXP and serve as warp points. It'll also fill in your map with the names of individual areas. That way, the next time you get a quest that says, "Defeat three volfs on Lake Raquel," or whatever, you can pull up the map for Gaur Plain and look for the area labeled Lake Raquel, and then warp to the nearest landmark. You can access the Map by hitting the minus button (when using the Wiimote and Nunchuk), and then scrolling over to the map tab on the far left.

For more tips, please read the very start of this thread. I put a lot of tips in there I found really helpful. :)

Cool thanks for this info! Was trying to rush it a bit, maybe thats why i didnt get into it. Will give it another fair chance. I just want to fall in love with that game....

Neiteio

OP, have you gotten past Prison Island yet? Curious on your thoughts after that part. :)
Not yet. I haven't played since saving at High Entia Tomb this past weekend. I've been very busy the last few days, and haven't had a chance to continue playing. But I can't wait to resume my playthrough. I'm looking forward to trying out Melia -- and seeing whatever happens at Prison Island. :)

Not yet. I haven't played since saving at High Entia Tomb this past weekend. I've been very busy the last few days, and haven't had a chance to continue playing. But I can't wait to resume my playthrough. I'm looking forward to trying out Melia -- and seeing whatever happens at Prison Island. :)

Aww okay. Definitely update the thread when you play some more!

shauntu

This is one of the few games I use my TV's highest MotionFlow setting with. Works great.

What's MotionFlow?

Also, Xenoblade is awesome. OP, you are pretty far from this, but there's a part much further from where you are at, which made me stop playing (anything) for 2 weeks as I mulled over what had happened.

Then I went back and continued playing, and continued getting hit by the ramifications of what had happened with new NPC sidequests. It... was awesome...

Neiteio

I played a bit more last night, from where I had left off in the High Entia Tomb. Took down a miniboss and the main boss on my first try, using Shulk.
I have a lot of Agility gems, which help with dodging. Once the Telethia was defeated, I let Dunban and Reyn handle the assassin while I stayed back and continually cast Light Heal.
Now things are really heating up at Alcamoth, and I'm off to Prison Island, but first I must undo two seals, and they appear to be on islands I haven't visited yet. Since I was sleepy, I saved on the Eryth Sea and will continue probably later tonight. Also, I -love- all of these
new Faced Mechon
that are appearing, and the banter between them. :)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I played a bit more last night, from where I had left off in the High Entia Tomb. Took down a miniboss and the main boss on my first try, using Shulk.
I have a lot of Agility gems, which help with dodging. Once the Telethia was defeated, I let Dunban and Reyn handle the assassin while I stayed back and continually cast Light Heal.
Now things are really heating up at Alcamoth, and I'm off to Prison Island, but first I must undo two seals, and they appear to be on islands I haven't visited yet. Since I was sleepy, I saved on the Eryth Sea and will continue probably later tonight. Also, I -love- all of these
new Faced Mechon
that are appearing, and the banter between them. :)

Almost there :3

Is the "to me, to you" dialogue in the crafting bit a deliberate reference to the Chuckle Brothers? If so, this is truly a legendary localisation job.

I haven't even played it myself yet (watched a friend play through a lot of it), but I still lost my shit at the Shulk trailer for Smash Bros. Now it's Shulk time!

tm24

So finally started heavily playing my copy which i got with my WiiU on craigslist (seriously, i got a WiiU and Xenoblade for 230, was the best deal ever). Dumped it via my wii and playing it on dolphin. Sometimes i just let the game go just to see the pretty vistas and that music. Just got to the central pit.

So just a question about skills. What should i focus on? Here's what im focusing on now

Shulk: Slit edge, backstab, light heal, monado shield
Reyn: War Swing, Hammer Beat, Sword Drive, Wild Drive
Sharla: Her heals. Dont think i can go wrong here. And tranq bullet

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So finally started heavily playing my copy which i got with my WiiU on craigslist (seriously, i got a WiiU and Xenoblade for 230, was the best deal ever). Dumped it via my wii and playing it on dolphin. Sometimes i just let the game go just to see the pretty vistas and that music. Just got to the central pit.

So just a question about skills. What should i focus on? Here's what im focusing on now

Shulk: Slit edge, backstab, light heal, monado shield
Reyn: War Swing, Hammer Beat, Sword Drive, Wild Drive
Sharla: Her heals. Dont think i can go wrong here. And tranq bullet

Shulk has access to all his arts all the time so that makes him a little harder to choose for. It's worth putting some points into Enchant for the damage and duration boost but not a whole lot. Shield doesn't need a lot of points either, just enough to keep up with the enemy arts. Keep in mind you only need it to be around VII or VIII by the end of the game, so you can allot points accordingly. The others you listed are good, and you also want to use one of his pink (break) arts. Stream Edge is better than Air Slash. Shaker Edge is a good art later.

Good choices for Reyn early in the game, aside from Hammer Beat I'd consider all those arts staples for him. You should also consider giving him an aura (orange art). Berserk is probably the best option if you have it, you lose some defense but he will deal area damage (good for building aggro) and raise strength. Rage is an acceptable alternative that does the opposite (raises defense, lowers strength, and deals some spike damage). You should give him Shield Bash once you get it.

Sharla kind of sucks, but yeah, while you are using her the healing arts are generally the best bet.

tm24

Shulk has access to all his arts all the time so that makes him a little harder to choose for. It's worth putting some points into Enchant for the damage and duration boost but not a whole lot. Shield doesn't need a lot of points either, just enough to keep up with the enemy arts. Keep in mind you only need it to be around VII or VIII by the end of the game, so you can allot points accordingly. The others you listed are good, and you also want to use one of his pink (break) arts. Stream Edge is better than Air Slash. Shaker Edge is a good art later.

Good choices for Reyn early in the game, aside from Hammer Beat I'd consider all those arts staples for him. You should also consider giving him an aura (orange art). Berserk is probably the best option if you have it, you lose some defense but he will deal area damage (good for building aggro) and raise strength. Rage is an acceptable alternative that does the opposite (raises defense, lowers strength, and deals some spike damage). You should give him Shield Bash once you get it.

Sharla kind of sucks, but yeah, while you are using her the healing arts are generally the best bet.
Yeah,with shield and enchant I'm operating under the rule of leveling it once per 10 levels since so far it scales pretty well with the enemies. I love stream edge so I'll raise that a bit. Just got shakers a couple levels back and love ending chains with it.

I'll give reyn shield bash and an aura. Started gem crafting lv2 gems and got a lot of great gems to offset stat losses during auras. Haven't really touched those but it will help

Also the xenoblade Google spreadsheet is amazing for a completionist like me. So helpful

Pyrokai

Hey all,

I think I just has something major spoiled in this game for me :(

This has been a game I've been wanting to a play for a very long time (I played about 10 hours of it when it first came out) and I really want to play it again before any more major spoilers make their way to me. However, I know that they are releasing it on the New3DS, and I would much rather play it there. But.....do you think it will come out in North America? I mean, this means I'm probably going to have to wait 7 months to play the damn game. Or I can just play it now.

But something about playing it on the 3DS really tickles my fancy. What to do, what to do....

random25

Hey all,

This has been a game I've been wanting to a play for a very long time (I played about 10 hours of it when it first came out) and I really want to play it again before any more major spoilers make their way to me. However, I know that they are releasing it on the New3DS, and I would much rather play it there. But.....do you think it will come out in North America? I mean, this means I'm probably going to have to wait 7 months to play the damn game. Or I can just play it now.

But something about playing it on the 3DS really tickles my fancy. What to do, what to do....

If you would to ask me, I would rather play it now, while it is still available. Chances of XC in New 3DS is pretty high considering the fact that:
- Nintendo is promoting the Xenoblade franchise recently to lead the way to Xenoblade X release, and;
- It is the first and still the only game exclusive to the New 3DS model. It would be bad for Nintendo to release the new model out of Japan without an enticing game.

But all things considered, I love playing this game on the big screen. So it's up to your preference. Would you be willing to wait for next year and buy a new system for portable Xenoblade, or play it now with your available system but the drawback is no portability?

FryHole

Hey all,

I'd play it now. I'm sure it'll come to the West, but we don't know exactly when and unless they perform some voodoo prior to release it's not going to run as well or look as good. If you have a Wii U you could always output the game to the gamepad for that "not quite a handheld and you still have to use your Wii controller" experience.

Pyrokai

Hmmm....I guess I should just play it now, then. It's either this or Earthbound. I need to decide!

Thanks for the feedback :)

Jawmuncher

I'm close to the end now. But I got to a choke point on a certain boss
lorithia
I'm lebel 70 and actually came close to beating it at that under level. But I figured I should just grind since there's no more quests around it seems. The bridge spot with the monkeys seems to be the best area.

Though the red ones all my attacks miss.
Am I missing something or is it because he's marked as red?

I'm close to the end now. But I got to a choke point on a certain boss
lorithia
I'm lebel 70 and actually came close to beating it at that under level. But I figured I should just grind since there's no more quests around it seems. The bridge spot with the monkeys seems to be the best area.

Though the red ones all my attacks miss.
Am I missing something or is it because he's marked as red?

I had the same problem as you. But no amount of grinding helped.

Use Melia as a main on the certain boss

SOOO much easier

I might try that. Her and Riki but not sure about the third.

I forgot to specify...

Use Melia on the certain boss ;)

You will say wow... or laugh at how much easier it is (you still have to pay attention)

Just have Shulk or Dunban.
Once Melia takes care of the boss you can go back to your main.

Top Bottom