• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles X

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I loved the original Xenoblade Chronicles. I was hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles X but was pretty heavy into PC gaming at the time and skipped out on this game. I consider Xenoblade Chronicles 2 perhaps the best game I've every played. I figured it was time to bust open the shrink wrap on my Wii U copy of XCX and give it a shot. I've heard a lot of people on GAF say this game is amazing. I'm playing with the Pro controller although I've already hit a few snags (like naming my character) that required the tablet. Hope those things are few and far between.

The opening cinematic was EPIC

xenoblade-chronicles-x-opening.jpg

And I like the fact that this game directly references that these adventurers hail from Earth (the US, specifically).

I only got to play for an hour last night, but I wandered through the opening section and tried to get a feel for the game's combat system. It definitely feels like this is Xenoblade 1.5 as there are obviously systems that were present in the first game and were featured in the second. I killed a few enemies, opened a few chests (why do I have to press A like 30 times to open them?) and leveled up a bit and got some slightly-better gear. I'm level 5 now and marching towards the big people settlement.

Loving the game so far, can't wait to sink another 60+ hours into it. I am definitely not going to finish my 52 games in 2019 challenge this year.

tkscz

I loved the original Xenoblade Chronicles. I was hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles X but was pretty heavy into PC gaming at the time and skipped out on this game. I consider Xenoblade Chronicles 2 perhaps the best game I've every played. I figured it was time to bust open the shrink wrap on my Wii U copy of XCX and give it a shot. I've heard a lot of people on GAF say this game is amazing. I'm playing with the Pro controller although I've already hit a few snags (like naming my character) that required the tablet. Hope those things are few and far between.

And I like the fact that this game directly references that these adventurers hail from Earth (the US, specifically).

I only got to play for an hour last night, but I wandered through the opening section and tried to get a feel for the game's combat system. It definitely feels like this is Xenoblade 1.5 as there are obviously systems that were present in the first game and were featured in the second. I killed a few enemies, opened a few chests (why do I have to press A like 30 times to open them?) and leveled up a bit and got some slightly-better gear. I'm level 5 now and marching towards the big people settlement.

Loving the game so far, can't wait to sink another 60+ hours into it. I am definitely not going to finish my 52 games in 2019 challenge this year.

Wait until you do the side quest given to you by NPCs. Some of them get fucking outrageous. Some of them also help you in the game by introducing more friendly NPCs, new species, new areas and buildings outside of the city, and some help you get better Skell parts.

There is also a pseudo mulitplayer you can do (as the actually multiplayer is shut down I believe) that raises your stats faster than just grinding. I found out after I beat the game but really wish I knew about it before the last boss. Holy shit that last boss fight.

Smasher89

An advice for the early hours of the game, dont rush the story, have fun exploring and get more fasttravel points, youll get resources easily that way and wont get as stuck when getting material gathering missions in the main story then.
There is like always rewards for exploring harder to reach places too :D
Edit: the fast stat grinding mentioned above was payed dlc in japan, and unlocked in us and eu after beating the main story

Last edited:

Teslerum

An advice for the early hours of the game, dont rush the story, have fun exploring and get more fasttravel points, youll get resources easily that way and wont get as stuck when getting material gathering missions in the main story then.
There is like always rewards for exploring harder to reach places too :D
Edit: the fast stat grinding mentioned above was payed dlc in japan, and unlocked in us and eu after beating the main story

That is incredibly important piece of advice.

Find your groove between exploring, doing quests and taking in the sights. I found mine and no open world experience has come remotly close. Its a wonderfully crafted world. Don't rush.

Last edited:

kunonabi

One of my favorite games of all time and probably the best RPG since P2: Eternal Punishment. Seriously though, do not try to rush through the game as it's designed around taking your time, exploring, and really immersing yourself in the world.

Yikes at playing with the pro controller though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Adore this game. I didn’t finish it (there’s a case to be made, that like most Xenoblade games and their complexity, it can finish you), but I loved, loved, loved the time I spent with it.

I’m surprised it isn’t a bigger deal, because this feels like possibly the most big budget, ambitious to blockbuster levels, JRPG ever, especially the amazing world, which landed them a job on BotW.

To this day, sometimes “1, 2, 3 4!” followed by unintelligible melodic yelling will pop up in my head.

tkscz

Adore this game. I didn’t finish it (there’s a case to be made, that like most Xenoblade games and their complexity, it can finish you), but I loved, loved, loved the time I spent with it.

I’m surprised it isn’t a bigger deal, because this feels like possibly the most big budget, ambitious to blockbuster levels, JRPG ever, especially the amazing world, which landed them a job on BotW.

To this day, sometimes “1, 2, 3 4!” followed by unintelligible melodic yelling will pop up in my head.

I wish this game was more popular, there is so much to love about it. Takes a bit to understand the combo system, but so many of the side quest were so engaging. My god, the Water filtration facility side quest was so damn good.

sublimit

Banned
I hope you don't intend to play any other game for the next 3 months OP! :p

Unfortunately i got sidetracked by other games and never finished it but one day i'm going to start it again and devote myself into it like i did with the first Xenoblade (got around 300 hours into that game).

Herr Edgy

Aside from some gameplay elements I liked XCX was my biggest gaming disappointment so far.
Once you discover that there isn't really anything to the story aside from the exposition, some chapter half way through, the end itself and the world is barren for the most part (enemies and generic treasure everywhere, that's kinda it; except for the jungle continent, that one is awesome because it's densely packed), the entire premise kinda lost its meaning to me.
Sidecontent is okay-good for the most part, but lack of proper 'oomph' made me unable to appreciate a good amount of the side content and lore that is actually there - because it frankly doesn't matter to any kind of cohesive storyline.

It's fine for what it is (even if heavily flawed, it's still rather unique and interesting) but coming from the original it was a huge disappointment to me, in multiple regards. Music, cut scenes, characters, ludonarrative dissonance everywhere.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yikes at playing with the pro controller though.
Any particular reason? I'm not a huge fan of the tablet controller on the Wii U (and even play 99% of the time on my Switch with the pro controller also).

I hope you don't intend to play any other game for the next 3 months OP! :p
HowLongToBeat says the game is 65-70 hours for the main story which is usually something I can knock through in about 3-4 weeks. Sometimes quicker than that if a game really sucks me in.

tkscz

Any particular reason? I'm not a huge fan of the tablet controller on the Wii U (and even play 99% of the time on my Switch with the pro controller also).

HowLongToBeat says the game is 65-70 hours for the main story which is usually something I can knock through in about 3-4 weeks. Sometimes quicker than that if a game really sucks me in.

The screen controller gets some of it's best use in this game, especially when doing anything one the map. Makes everything more convenient. It's not necessary, but it comes in real handy once you start getting further into the game.

kunonabi

The pro controller just makes the game take way longer due to how the interface is setup.

I also hate the pro controller anyway but that's a personal issue.

I love Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Tk4nGm2.jpg

My Character and Mech pictured. I tried to give it a paint job vaguely resembling Ultra-Magnus. Its upgrades can 2-shot the final secret boss.

When I started this game back at launch, I took a strong liking to it at first because of the great premise. They really created this exciting feeling that you were on this sacred mission to save humanity by fleeing from hostile aliens and colonizing this exciting new planet. But I lost interest fairly early because the characters just aren't as good as Xenoblade Chronicles. They're fine characters, I like them, but they're not on the level of Shulk and the gang. Well that and the light multiplayer elements really bothered me, like how characters had a class rather than abilities suited to them personally like they did in Xenoblade.

Anyway, I eventually came back to the game this year, planning to rush through it because I figured I really should play through Xenoblade X before I start Xenoblade 2. No longer putting expectations on the game to be like Xenoblade 1 and just enjoying it for what it is... I totally fell in love with X and played it for months.

The main character in X isn't Cross or Elma, it's the planet Mirra.

Mirra, this beautiful planet with its glorious scenery and amazing sights like humongous dinosaurs blocking out the sun as they step over you and giant sandworms exploding out of the ground. Flying over Mirra's gorgeous areas in your mech, listening to the beautiful song that plays whenever you do so feels so right. Reaching your destination and killing the engines so your mech goes into freefall mode and you hurtle the ground like a meteor also feels awesome (and saves fuel too!)

Another great thing about the game is overdrive mode. In chapter 5, you get this ability to go into overdrive and it's devastatingly powerful and fun to use once you actually understand it, which took me quite a while to be honest. Cool music starts playing, a funky blur effect is applied, and you are given a counter and a timer. You need to use certain types of moves to keep the timer from running out and others to build the counter up to max level, the reward being that your damage multiplies insanely and the cooldown time to use your moves is vastly reduced. Expert use of overdrive mode means that giant-ass dinosaurs with a billion hit points (barely an exaggeration) that would normally 1-shot you can be defeated playing solo. Here's an example:

There are many other cool videos like this where people make powerful jedi builds and gunner builds that utilize overdrive while not exploiting OP abilities like ghostwalker. If you max out a class as you play through the story, change to another and max out every class. Later, you can chop and change each classe's gun abilities with other classe's melee abilities, it's great.

I'm the same, I played this game and every game I can on the pro controller and I had a great time. It's true that Xenoblade X uses the gamepad's features, so I would lean over to where I had it plugged into a wall when I needed to use the gamepad to warp to another location or something similar. I guess the ideal setup would be playing on the pro controller with the gamepad in easy view, right in front of you if possible or failing that right next to you.

I think 65-70 would be if you went right through it only doing the required stuff. I ended up quitting at chapter 10 I think and I was at around 90 hours. The games main story is straight up bad and I didn't feel the need to keep playing.

Having said that, the game has plenty of really good qualities. The way the exploration opens up is amazing. First you're on foot, where you can already explore a ridiculous amount of the world. Then you get the skell, which opens up even more stuff, and once you get the flight module, shit gets even crazier. You start finding all kinds of interesting nooks, with ridiculous enemies. A lot of the side content has some really good writing as well. The combat is really fun as well

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I thought it was extremely disappointing in the story department, the initial pitch sounded like the best RPG story in YEARS with your backs against the wall with the time limit and the darker side to what you truly are but it's never handled to the best that it could be. Also the party members mostly don't matter to the plot and the better characters also get side stories but aren't needed for the main plot. Lame.

jshackles

Having said that, the game has plenty of really good qualities. The way the exploration opens up is amazing. First you're on foot, where you can already explore a ridiculous amount of the world. Then you get the skell, which opens up even more stuff, and once you get the flight module, shit gets even crazier. You start finding all kinds of interesting nooks, with ridiculous enemies. A lot of the side content has some really good writing as well. The combat is really fun as well

Username does not check out

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Aside from some gameplay elements I liked XCX was my biggest gaming disappointment so far.
Once you discover that there isn't really anything to the story aside from the exposition, some chapter half way through, the end itself and the world is barren for the most part (enemies and generic treasure everywhere, that's kinda it; except for the jungle continent, that one is awesome because it's densely packed), the entire premise kinda lost its meaning to me.
Sidecontent is okay-good for the most part, but lack of proper 'oomph' made me unable to appreciate a good amount of the side content and lore that is actually there - because it frankly doesn't matter to any kind of cohesive storyline.

It's fine for what it is (even if heavily flawed, it's still rather unique and interesting) but coming from the original it was a huge disappointment to me, in multiple regards. Music, cut scenes, characters, ludonarrative dissonance everywhere.

That’s the way I ended up feeling about it too. It’s the only Xeno game I never finished.

I thought it was extremely disappointing in the story department, the initial pitch sounded like the best RPG story in YEARS with your backs against the wall with the time limit and the darker side to what you truly are but it's never handled to the best that it could be. Also the party members mostly don't matter to the plot and the better characters also get side stories but aren't needed for the main plot. Lame.

Yep, that was me too - I got so excited about the game because the initial setup was so captivating, and then when it did not follow through I ended up dropping it. But, as I detailed above, when I went back to the game years later and embraced it for the strengths it does have instead of wanting it to be like Xenoblade Chronicles 1, I had a wonderful time flying around its beautfiul world, defeating optional mega-bosses using the overdrive system, and upgrading my mechs into weapons of mass destruction.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Tablet was better for me, the map is always at hand and you put orbs and stuff.
Also save all your money for gears!

Bigrx1

Banned
How do any of these titles compare to Xenogears and Xenosaga as far as story telling goes? Are they close in quality or not so much?

Teslerum

How do any of these titles compare to Xenogears and Xenosaga as far as story telling goes? Are they close in quality or not so much?

None are as focused on storytelling, but Xenoblade 1 especially is closest while X is more about exploring an alien world.
They all do carry on some of their themes.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Far better. Xenosaga episode 1 and xenogears are the only other titles really in the same league.

X is well ahead of the other Xenoblade games but it's also a much different beast. The other Xenoblade games are typical shounen stories with sci-fi elements whereas X is a much more old school full-on sci-fi story dealing with more complex issues of colonization, humanity, and evolving social structures than just the nuts and bolts of a plot going from A to B.

tkscz

Far better. Xenosaga episode 1 and xenogears are the only other titles really in the same league.

X is well ahead of the other Xenoblade games but it's also a much different beast. The other Xenoblade games are typical shounen stories with sci-fi elements whereas X is a much more old school full-on sci-fi story dealing with more complex issues of colonization, humanity, and evolving social structures than just the nuts and bolts of a plot going from A to B.

However, side quest are a MUST if you want to get the full story. Seeing the world of XBX open up more and more the more side quest you do makes playing it so much more involving. It's also the only time your character matters as the main story pretty much resolves around Elma.

jshackles

So I'm still on Chapter 4 (actually haven't started the first chapter mission yet) but I'm at the 10 hour mark.

I've been wandering around, doing side quests, dying a lot, leveling up, getting better gear, investing in the market.... this game has a surprising depth. I'm getting real Phantasy Star vibes, but in a good way.

kunonabi

So I'm still on Chapter 4 (actually haven't started the first chapter mission yet) but I'm at the 10 hour mark.

I've been wandering around, doing side quests, dying a lot, leveling up, getting better gear, investing in the market.... this game has a surprising depth. I'm getting real Phantasy Star vibes, but in a good way.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying it and yeah Phantasy Star is an apt comparison. All this talk has gotten me to start playing again. I'm going to finish collecting all the infinite/regal armor sets and then get back to work on the bestiary.

jshackles

The music in this game is awesome.

But I wonder if my downstairs neighbor is tired of me playing this yet.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I love XBX. And I'm a longtime fangirl of Tetsuya Takahashi. The world, the interactions, the systems. As much as I ADORE XBC2 I want a XBCX2 more than anything.

This is one of my favorite games and at the same time one of my most loathed games. Three are some glaring issues with the game that I was happy to overlook, but will not in a sequel. The game pacing was rotten. Not getting a flying skell until so long into the game was almost painful, though I understand it forced you to get a feel for the scope of things on the ground before you could a-b your way around.

I've been a mecha fan since the first time I saw them in the 80's. The skells were really awesome, but I always seemed to attract things that could one-shot my skells by accident even when I was being careful. After putting in countless hours getting everything together I finally got a skell built strong enough to kick the shit out of the brachiosaurs, then got cocky and tried to take on an endgame monster and get my shit pushed in.

I built my main heavy mech to resemble The-O from Gundam, except that unlike The-O it could turn into a freaking tank. I've since hoped that a sequel would increase the number of mobile suit types ands well as the number of emplacements/weapons available to each.

Some of the music was epic, some of it was New LA's theme.

The mistery behind Mira drew me into the game more than anything though. For anyone that doesn't know, Mira appeared in a couple Gamecube games called Baten Kaitos, which was made by Monolith Soft. Mira was a floating island that sat in the middle of the five nations that was known to shift between dimensions and not really follow the rules of time and space.
Professor B, the time traveling scientist from the future makes it clear that nothing on Mira follows the rules of time and space. In Baten Kaitos. Mira almost disappeared for good when a group of wizards called Guardians appeared from inside the Earth and saved Mira. At the end of Xenoblade X, the man that finds Lao washed up on the shore is wearing robes. Many people assume him to be one of Mira's Guardians, tying the franchises together much like the Zohar and conduit's appearances have tied all games in the Xeno series together in some fashion..

jshackles

Why would they be? It's been two years since playing it and I can't get it out of my head. New LA theme and battle theme are simply sublime pieces of music.
As I said, the music in this game is awesome. Maybe it's because I haven't really "opened up the map" much yet, but it seems very repetitive so far. Personally, I'm not complaining because I enjoy it - but once I think I spent like 45 minutes going around to all the districts in New LA and the "whah whah WOOOOO wowoww" felt like it was in infinite loop.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
This is one of my favorite games and at the same time one of my most loathed games. Three are some glaring issues with the game that I was happy to overlook, but will not in a sequel. The game pacing was rotten. Not getting a flying skell until so long into the game was almost painful, though I understand it forced you to get a feel for the scope of things on the ground before you could a-b your way around.

I've been a mecha fan since the first time I saw them in the 80's. The skells were really awesome, but I always seemed to attract things that could one-shot my skells by accident even when I was being careful. After putting in countless hours getting everything together I finally got a skell built strong enough to kick the shit out of the brachiosaurs, then got cocky and tried to take on an endgame monster and get my shit pushed in.

I built my main heavy mech to resemble The-O from Gundam, except that unlike The-O it could turn into a freaking tank. I've since hoped that a sequel would increase the number of mobile suit types ands well as the number of emplacements/weapons available to each.

Some of the music was epic, some of it was New LA's theme.

The mistery behind Mira drew me into the game more than anything though. For anyone that doesn't know, Mira appeared in a couple Gamecube games called Baten Kaitos, which was made by Monolith Soft. Mira was a floating island that sat in the middle of the five nations that was known to shift between dimensions and not really follow the rules of time and space.
Professor B, the time traveling scientist from the future makes it clear that nothing on Mira follows the rules of time and space. In Baten Kaitos. Mira almost disappeared for good when a group of wizards called Guardians appeared from inside the Earth and saved Mira. At the end of Xenoblade X, the man that finds Lao washed up on the shore is wearing robes. Many people assume him to be one of Mira's Guardians, tying the franchises together much like the Zohar and conduit's appearances have tied all games in the Xeno series together in some fashion..

Boooo. Paptimus is a fuck.

GAMETA

Banned
It's a very good game but the ending arcs were a little subpar and the flying mechanic, although awesome when available, kinda breaks the fun in exploration.

I was a happy man wandering Primordia on foot with my giant sword on my back, which reminds me, I wish Monolith would do action rpgs too, mixing their world creation, ridiculous good designs and some Zelda/light Dark Souls combat and gameplay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's a very good game but the ending arcs were a little subpar and the flying mechanic, although awesome when available, kinda breaks the fun in exploration.

I was a happy man wandering Primordia on foot with my giant sword on my back, which reminds me, I wish Monolith would do action rpgs too, mixing their world creation, ridiculous good designs and some Zelda/light Dark Souls combat and gameplay.
I personally like overall Xenoblade series combat system not every game needs to have Souls like combat, we already getting enough "souls like" games as it is.

GAMETA

Banned
I personally like overall Xenoblade series combat system not every game needs to have Souls like combat, we already getting enough "souls like" games as it is.
Yeah, it's just the easiest way to describe, which is why I wrote "zelda/light ds".

I'd be more than happy with a combat system similar to Zelda (which, again, is the basis of the "souls like" combat).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, it's just the easiest way to describe, which is why I wrote "zelda/light ds".

I'd be more than happy with a combat system similar to Zelda (which, again, is the basis of the "souls like" combat).
To me Xenoblade’s combat system is unique and fun and I especially like topple enemies and smash them to the ground.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I never played it, I played XC1 & XC2, but XCX got so much hate for its supposed storyline and mediocre soundtrack that I never played it (I never owned a Wii U but bought a Switch just for XC2).

Should it ever be released on Switch, I would pick it up.

cireza

Xeno X makes a great use of the gamepad. It is pretty much what all RPGs should have been. The gamepad is like having a PDA with tons of information about the world with you, and you can manage at a high level stuff with it.

Xeno X is very different from the other games. It is a real open-world game where you can go everywhere from the very beginning.

It takes a lot of work to get into though, because of all the systems and all, and the game lack explanations. Everything is very quick and so many things are thrown at you, it is easy to be overwhelmed.

I'm getting real Phantasy Star vibes, but in a good way.
I totally agree with this.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Didnt know that reference, i guess baten kaitos joind the list along with xenogears and saga that i would play potential remakes then.

Belmonte

From time to time I think about playing Xenoblade Chronicles X. It is so rare to see a more Gundam type sci-fi RPG or even a scifi without too much fantasy! Even the cons people talk about Chronicles X doesn't seems that bad for my taste. In teory, I would like a more gameplay focused game without much story. Just exploring, battling and leveling up skills with some story here and there just to give some context seems great to me.

I would need to control my completionist tendencies though. At the time I was playing the original Xenoblade, the number of quests burned my patience since I tried to complete every one of them and without guides.

A "good way" is the only way to get real Phantasy Star vibes. :cool:

Top Bottom