• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasarts games coming to GOG.com, out now [6 to start, 14+ more games to follow]

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The '94 version seems to be very clunky. You can calibrate your 360 controller (old calibrate your jostick thing) in it but I have not found a way to remap it. Also the game runs much slower and has a very low fps feel. Like the original.

The '98 Version runs much faster and you can remap controlls in it for all your gamepad buttons but LT/RT (XONE Controller). You just press a button on your controller and then select from a very long list of controlls what you want that button to do.

EDIT:
And no shifting option, so you still need the keyboard...

There are no black bars in both versions with one exception: The '98 versions intro.

So there is no way to get the correct aspect ratio in the windows version?

Bummer.

Thanks for the answers, though!

Minsc

Gold Member
The '94 version seems to be very clunky. You can calibrate your 360 controller (old calibrate your jostick thing) in it but I have not found a way to remap it. Also the game runs much slower and has a very low fps feel. Like the original.

The '98 Version runs much faster and you can remap controlls in it for all your gamepad buttons but LT/RT (XONE Controller). You just press a button on your controller and then select from a very long list of controlls what you want that button to do.

There are no black bars in both versions with one exception: The '98 versions intro.

You would remap in the setup utility maybe? Or the mapping utility that comes with your controller... there's definitely some tweaking needed in the DOS version, you'll have to find a thread on GOG's forums and look for someone who found the best configuration... for starters it's not even running in SVGA or with the ideal sound card selected. But speed and controller support seemed ok to me, with a few tweaks should be good.

The '98 version does look a bit nicer with the 3D acceleration in flight, but I do prefer the UI to the DOS version. It's really nice to have both, but it seems the DOS version will need more tweaking out of the box than the 95 version, but that was expected.

So there is no way to get the correct aspect ratio in the windows version?

Bummer.

Thanks for the answers, though!

Couldn't you just force it via your GPU's display options? The '95 version did seem to click over to a lower res for me, I'm sure either via my monitors settings directly on the monitor itself, or the GPU options, I could have it not stretch.

Persona7

Banned
I would also like to know this

The front page of GOG currently says " and More to come", I don't know where the 30 games contract information came from.

Edit: Apparently it was a forum post by a staff member but it was deleted

"We're proud to announce a new partnership with Disney that allows for the DRM-free release of about 30 classic titles from LucasArts," "Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucas' most famous gaming franchises, so that the Disney/Lucasfilm catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one."

Minsc

Gold Member
The front page of GOG currently says "More to come", I don't know where the 30 games contract information came from.

The news article used to say 30 when it leaked, currently GOG's write up says this:

The day has finally come and the holy grail of classic gaming has arrived on GOG.com. Welcome, Lucasfilm games! You are among friends, here! We're proud to announce our team-up with ©Disney Interactive that allows for the DRM-free release of 20+ classic titles from the cult-classic developer. We know you waited long for this moment, so we want to reunite you with those golden oldies with as little delay as possible. Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucasfilm's most famous gaming franchises, so that the Lucasfilm/Disney catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one. Here are the great titles you can get right away:

So that's 20+ confirmed, vs ~30 from the leak yesterday, we seem to be in the same ballpark, but I'll update to reflect the newer number.

I would also like to know this

A leaked gog release thead - it was on their site until they noticed and deleted it.

The gog release thread that has come out now says "20+" though, although I doubt things have changed in 12 hours so it's probably just because it sounds better - 20+ sounds like possibly everything may come out whereas 30 is rather final

Minsc

Gold Member
any word on how x-wing/tie plays with a controller?

TIE Fighter ('95 version) works decently right out of the gate with a DS4 controller for me. The DOS version will need a little more tweaking, but it picked it up as well and functioned ok.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
any word on how x-wing/tie plays with a controller?

If you can't do shift remapping, it's pretty much impossible to play using a controller.

Imagine holding the controller then having to press a key on the keyboard every 2-3 seconds.

I guess you could put the keyboard on the floor and control it with your feet...

inm8num2

Doesn't this just give you the "classic" half of the special edition on its own though, aka the '92 cd release as opposed to the '90 floppy release?

That does appear to be the case, so I guess it's somewhat pointless.

The news article used to say 30 when it leaked, currently GOG's write up says this:

So that's 20+ confirmed, vs ~30 from the leak yesterday, we seem to be in the same ballpark, but I'll update to reflect the newer number.

Damn, from 30 down to 20+? This deal is getting worse all the time... ;)

But that's probably meant to indicate the possibility of future titles beyond the current deal.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Look, if you're lying...

HCtKU2m.png

Hmm the DOS version might actually not be the collectors version, at least the manual included is for the base game. I'm at work so I can't install it to see for sure.

Corgi

Banned
kinda wish KOTOR got controller support, even ios got that.

the keyboard and mouse controls were ass and your character always gets stuck and you have to switch party members to unstuck.

Danneee

What's the difference between the win and dos versions of Tie Fighter, and can I really not control the game with mouse/keyboard (win)??

That does appear to be the case, so I guess it's somewhat pointless.

Damn, from 30 down to 20+? This deal is getting worse all the time... ;)

But that's probably meant to indicate the possibility of future titles beyond the current deal.

My guess is there are probably 30 games they can put out but some might be impossible to get working via emulation to GOGs standards.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hmm the DOS version might actually not be the collectors version, at least the manual included is for the base game. I'm at work so I can't install it to see for sure.

Collector's Edition logo isn't at the end of the intro when the TIE Fighter logo comes up... can't recall atm if it is supposed to be. Perhaps if it is, the shortcut is running the wrong .exe, or perhaps they just didn't include it yet, and will fix that when they figure it out.

Dr Dogg

why would you want to play a flight sim on a controller anyway

Well I seem to recall never, ever being what you would consider to be leveled off and always inverted in both X-Wing and TIE Fighter on account of being in space so can only imagine that would be even more confusing with a controller.

Minsc

Gold Member
What's the difference between the win and dos versions of Tie Fighter, and can I really not control the game with mouse/keyboard (win)??

Windows: Better graphics and better support of gamepads/joysticks, worse music (no imuse)
DOS: Original looking UI, better music, worse graphics, trickier to setup joysticks.

I legitimately laughed out loud when I saw that.

I'm interested in the GAF consensus on how well the Win 95 version was handled. It's the only version of the games that I haven't played and would be reason enough for me to triple dip.

The Windows 95 version looks to run extremely well to me from initial impressions. Very smooth, controller works very nicely.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well I seem to recall never, ever being what you would consider to be leveled off and always inverted in both X-Wing and TIE Fighter on account of being in space so can only imagine that would be even more confusing with a controller.

What does this even mean?

"I can't imagine how disorienting it would be to fly around in space if the joystick I was using was smaller than one I have to grip with my entire hand"?

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like we have confirmation only the Windows version of TIE Fighter is the collector's edition:

Guys, GOG version of the game has all of the 13 battles, which means both expansions are there. I have no idea why the gamecard isn't listing the Enemies of the Empire, I'll check with the relevant people.

--edit: that pertains to the Windows version of the game. The DOS is the 1994 original, not the Collector's CDROM.

Really hope they fix that... I still have my DOS Collector's CD-ROM, but I'd like for everyone else to be able to play that version if they want too as well, really no reason to have the original 1994 version, it's completely made redundant in every way by the DOS Collector's version.

Too important to be an oversight, but who knows what happened. Since one of the expansions got folded into the Collector's CD-ROM, they need to get it fixed in within the year so our LucasArts holiday is complete.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Looks like we have confirmation only the Windows version of TIE Fighter is the collector's edition:

Really hope they fix that... I still have my DOS Collector's CD-ROM, but I'd like for everyone else to be able to play that version if they want too.

Does that mean the GOG DOS version doesn't support SVGA like the DOS CD-ROM release did?

Minsc

Gold Member
Does that mean the GOG DOS version doesn't support SVGA like the DOS CD-ROM release did?

Correct, the original release didn't support SVGA, that was a Collector's Edition enhancement for the DOS version, which explains why I can't get GOG's DOS version to get out of 320x240 I suppose.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's so bizarre that these guys know enough about the source material to make DOSBox profiles so the games run as close to the original, but they don't realize they are releasing the inferior non-CD DOS version of the game...

Really hope they fix that... I still have my DOS Collector's CD-ROM, but I'd like for everyone else to be able to play that version if they want too as well, really no reason to have the original 1994 version, it's completely made redundant in every way by the DOS Collector's version.

So at the moment we have:

Star Wars : X-Wing Special Edition (94 Collector's CD-ROM edition and 98 Collector Series CD-edition)
Star Wars : TIE Fighter Special Edition (94 Original Edition and 98 Collector Series CD-edition)

Or is xwingdos the 93 original edition?

What do you mean?

The opening puzzles are....rather amusing. shouldn't spoil it any more then that. :)

Windows: Better graphics and better support of gamepads/joysticks, worse music (no imuse)
DOS: Original looking UI, better music, worse graphics, trickier to setup joysticks.

Damn, did not realize this. That's quite the trade-off. Assuming the GOG version is Windows only, yes? To run the DOS versions you'd need the original CD, right?

Minsc

Gold Member
Damn, did not realize this. That's quite the trade-off. Assuming the GOG version is Windows only, yes? To run the DOS versions you'd need the original CD, right?

The GOG version is both, but they don't have the Collector's DOS version, so IMO it's pretty worthless, and I'd ignore it until they do. The 640x480 res and added voice overs in the DOS Collector's edition made a huge difference from the original 320x240 and no voices.

The Windows version they bundle has everything and is complete, so that's the way to go for now, until they replace in the Collector's Edition for the DOS version.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The GOG 94 version is DOS, but it doesn't have the extra CE missions and the resolution is locked at 320x200.

ISee

The Windows 95 version looks to run extremely well to me from initial impressions. Very smooth, controller works very nicely.

You forgot one important point, the 2nd addon enemies of the empire was exclusive and only available with the cd rom version.

Dr Dogg

What does this even mean?

"I can't imagine how disorienting it would be to fly around in space if the joystick I was using was smaller than one I have to grip with my entire hand"?

It means that after nigh on 20 years of using a keyboard to play X-Wing/TIE Fighter that switching over to a 360 pad isn't going to do me any favours. The vast majority of shortcuts to various throttle positions, next target, nearest enemy target and switching power management etc. are something that has been ingrained in my head for years and can not see how a joypad is going to do all of that on it's own fluently.

Wow, xwing and tie fighter. Will have to pick up a joystick, any suggestions on a relatively cheap one? I imagine my flight skills have deteriorated significant,y since last playing these. Many fond memories of these during my formative high school days. :)

Top Bottom