• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon Gameplay Videos with Audio

GhaleonQ

I don't know what I'm going to do if this isn't my favorite game of the year. As soon as it became clear that the reason they were changing the series so much is because they were going to nail EVERY SINGLE CHANGE, I've been entranced.

I don't care much for that American cover, but it'll target children much better. I hoped for something similar to 1's.

Man, people need to figure out how to rip 3DS music, posthaste.

I haven't played the original but from what I can tell is this one really going to be better?
LM1 seems like a take on the survival-horror Biohazard type of game and breaking the game up into multiple worlds I think will lose this. That said, if they can take the elements like getting scored and ranked at the end of the missions and make that really compelling I could see this being its own fun take on LM but a different direction.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=261

It was always more of an adventure (NOT action-adventure) style, but, yeah, I'm thrilled that this is focusing on a graphic adventure and puzzle style.

On what games? Please refresh my memory!

NHL Hitz Pro - GCN, Xbox, PS2
Super Mario Strikers - GCN (known as Mario Smash Football in PAL regions)
Mario Strikers Charged - Wii (known as Mario Strikers Charged Football in PAL regions)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe - Wii, X360, PS2
Ticket to Ride - XBLA
Jungle Speed - WiiWare
Punch-Out!! - Wii
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! - WiiWare
Transformers: Cybertron Adventures - Wii
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Wii
Captain America: Super Soldier - X360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS
Luigi's Mansion : Dark Moon - 3DS[1]

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"You see, PEGI is like LEGO, but instead of colored blocks, it's numbers, and instead of building things, it's restricting what games you should buy... actually, forget the LEGO thing. PEGI is like a woman's uterus..."

mikelb7

Neo Member
This game looks like a whole lot of fun. Looking forward to this moreso than Paper Mario... so exciting to have good games on the horizon. Can't wait to hear what Nintendo has in store for 2013.

Not sure if anyone had this crazy leopard print cd
51BKMBD9K3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but one of the last songs on it REALLY reminds me of the Luigi's Mansion theme.

Compare (if you care):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHXMaW7mas
with the official theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjdgxK44ctQ

(ps first post... finally a member of GAF!)

GhaleonQ

"You see, PEGI is like LEGO, but instead of colored blocks, it's numbers, and instead of building things, it's restricting what games you should buy... actually, forget the LEGO thing. PEGI is like a woman's uterus..."

I'm imagining this employee writes for Kill Screen, and this is his segue to his 20-page essay on how Luigi's Mansion 2 is an elaborate pro-choice metaphor. Imagine the Tom Bissell retweets!

On-topic: I'm getting excited about the level of care previewers are describing. I just saw this through Super Mario Wiki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrHtL94zsc Mike Peacock, Darren Radtke, and Chad York haven't failed me yet. Additional thought: the opportunity for a Punch-Out Wii parody is almost too big to pass up. I doubt they'd try to parody actual characters, but the puzzle-action boss sequences match up perfectly.

but one of the last songs on it REALLY reminds me of the Luigi's Mansion theme.

Compare (if you care):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHXMaW7mas
with the official theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjdgxK44ctQ

(ps first post... finally a member of GAF!)

Enjoy! Come visit Nert's and my video game music topic at the end of the year.

And, yeah, Totaka (who did "Luigi's Mansion" the song http://vgmdb.net/album/4341 ) has always mixed in quality jazz to his soundtracks. That's actually in my 3 favorite songs of his, for its quality, for disguising a very obvious jazz progresssion in horror movie music tropes, and then letting that flow into what sounds like Romantic-era art music (specifically Russian).

zroid

Banned
NHL Hitz Pro - GCN, Xbox, PS2
Super Mario Strikers - GCN (known as Mario Smash Football in PAL regions)
Mario Strikers Charged - Wii (known as Mario Strikers Charged Football in PAL regions)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe - Wii, X360, PS2
Ticket to Ride - XBLA
Jungle Speed - WiiWare
Punch-Out!! - Wii
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! - WiiWare
Transformers: Cybertron Adventures - Wii
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Wii
Captain America: Super Soldier - X360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS
Luigi's Mansion : Dark Moon - 3DS[1]

Their reputation for making great games, but only when collaborating with Nintendo, doesn't seem to be changing with LM.

Hoping for some type of multiplayer gameplay w/ NiN (there was that listing that pegged the game as a 2-player experience on Nintendo's website a while back, but later changed), but I'm only expecting leader-boards. DLC would be cool too if they kept it on the cheap side....

Ambitious

Is it known if the collectable money/treasures will serve anything else than just adding to the highscore? Some kind of upgrades would be nice.

Nintendo should just acquire Next Level. They don't seem to be doing anything worthwhile outside of Nintendo and when they team up with them they make amazing games. I do wonder if they added some kind of multiplayer since this game was apparently near completion at E3 2011 so what have they been doing for so long.

Nintendo should just acquire Next Level. They don't seem to be doing anything worthwhile outside of Nintendo and when they team up with them they make amazing games. I do wonder if they added some kind of multiplayer since this game was apparently near completion at E3 2011 so what have they been doing for so long.

YES, this would be a perfect team to grab! Get them away from the crappy non-Nintendo collab projects and exclusively work on the gold they've made with Nintendo.

NLG has made a name for themselves with Nintendo, this is the right time and place to make such a move Nintendo!

Monster Games is also a great pick, but just don't have them make games like Pilotwings Resort please. :( More Excite, less "Resort". :/

apana

YES, this would be a perfect team to grab! Get them away from the crappy non-Nintendo collab projects and exclusively work on the gold they've made with Nintendo.

NLG has made a name for themselves with Nintendo, this is the right time and place to make such a move Nintendo!

Monster Games is also a great pick, but just don't have them make games like Pilotwings Resort please. :( More Excite, less "Resort". :/

Are they willing to be bought out and for what price? I think Nintendo would consider buying out many gaming companies if they could be assured that the talent would stay and be willing to do what Nintendo wants.

zroid

Banned
Are they willing to be bought out and for what price? I think Nintendo would consider buying out many gaming compannies if they could be assured that the talent would stay and be willing to do what Nintendo wants.

With NLG in particular it seems like they have the most freedom when working with Nintendo. I think it would be an engagement that could only be beneficial for both sides.

It's also worth noting that NLG is skip and a jump away from Nintendo's Canadian HQ, which itself is a short drive across the border from NoA.

Are they willing to be bought out and for what price? I think Nintendo would consider buying out many gaming companies if they could be assured that the talent would stay and be willing to do what Nintendo wants.

If they could stay making licensed shovelwhare they would probably be ecstatic to have complete job security at a place like Nintendo. When was the last time Nintendo laid employees off?

dtekdahl00

Neo Member
I can't quite explain it, seeing as I never played Luigi's Mansion (having missed out on owning a Gamecube), but I am extremely excited for this game. In theory I like to expect 40 hours of gameplay or more out of a retail priced title- but with this game I would be content with 10 hours so long as the animation is as rich as it appears to be.

I love it because it appears dense with funny memorable moments. I think I could survive owning only this game and KI:U- both games that will probably contend for my game of the year.

Newline

Always had faith this game will deliver since learning Next Level Games is developing it. Most anticipated 3DS game of 2012, Paper Mario can suck it. :p

RETURN OF THE GREEN KING

I'm presuming this is because after the positive response they are getting about this game nintendo is saving the number two for a mainline sequel on the Wii U.

All speculation of course.

zroid

Banned
Luigi's Mansion Wii U could be neat. Game Boy Horror could be integrated into the GamePad screen to great effect.

Mendoza

They really need to quit giving franchises to Next Level. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

The game as a whole is looking alright, but the attention to detail is what has me worried (which is what made the first one so memorable); specifically when implementing familiar aspects from the first Luigi's Mansion.

So far, I see very little.

SmithnCo

They really need to quit giving franchises to Next Level. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

The game as a whole is looking alright, but the attention to detail is what has me worried (which is what made the first one so memorable); specifically when implementing familiar aspects from the first Luigi's Mansion.

You didn't like Punch-Out?

I thought it did a great job of taking the original and modernizing it with basically the same gameplay.

The original game was like 2 hours long and this one looks like it has just as much attention to detail. Look at Luigi's little animations for example. The game is taking all kinds of cues from the original and expanding upon it. I liked the first LM, but I feel like its put up way too high of a pedestal. It was a good launch game, but definitely not worth the 50 bucks I spent.

Matt

This, this, and more this. They fit Nintendo's studio portfolio perfectly. I do wish Nintendo would acquire them and pump more money into NST as well.

I'd love for Nintendo to acquire WayForward as well.

But what is the benefit to Nintendo? It would add a lot of cost to the relationship, without adding any value.

zroid

Banned
But what is the benefit to Nintendo? It would add a lot of cost to the relationship, without adding any value.

A more tightly knit relationship would just be, in general, better for game development.

For example, the line of communication would be more open; they could hire additional team members; information and technology sharing. NLG furthermore could also contribute to some of Nintendo's other projects in any number of ways.

Obviously the studio has potential, so them being salaried employees of Nintendo could really help them flower and produce even better content (and Nintendo would be the sole beneficiary). I'd love to see it happen.

Drago

Nintendo should definitely purchase (or tighten relationships with) NLG I think. I really loved Punch-Out!! and Mario Strikers Charged (MSC was way too difficult at times though) and what I've seen of LM2 looks really good (but I've never played the original).

Next Level really shines in their Nintendo collabs. Make them a full Nintendo developer and they could really become something else. Nintendo needs some new Western blood anyways ;)

Matt

A more tightly knit relationship would just be, in general, better for game development.

For example, the line of communication would be more open; they could hire additional team members; information and technology sharing. NLG furthermore could also contribute to some of Nintendo's other projects in any number of ways.

Obviously the studio has potential, so them being salaried employees of Nintendo could really help them flower and produce even better content (and Nintendo would be the sole beneficiary). I'd love to see it happen.

But, considering how good NGL's Nintendo games have been, those changes dosen't seem necessary. Why not let Activision and others help pick up the cost of actually running the studio, and Nintendo get out of them exactly what they want?

zroid

Banned
But, considering how good NGL's Nintendo games have been, those changes dosen't seem necessary. Why not let Activision and others help pick up the cost of actually running the studio, and Nintendo get out of them exactly what they want?

Yes, they're making good games already, but were they Nintendo-owned, NLG could potentially be cultivated into the next Retro. Of course, that's a bit of a gamble, but it would certainly never happen should they remain independent.

A new team to tackle major projects could be a great boon.

It helps that they're already on good terms and seem to understand each other, so the chances of a Rare/Microsoft situation happening are reduced, I think.

What the mother of fuck are you talking about.
Punch-Out!! Wii was love letter made to perfection for the NES game, they have the best cartoon animators of the industry, and Mario Strikers games are addictive (and hard) as hell. Luigi's Mansion 2 is looking great and its possibly going to be great.
Such a shitty opinion.

Matt

Yes, they're making good games already, but were they Nintendo-owned, NLG could potentially be cultivated into the next Retro. Of course, that's a bit of a gamble, but it would certainly never happen should they remain independent.

A new team to tackle major projects could be a great boon.

It helps that they're already on good terms and seem to understand each other, so the chances of a Rare/Microsoft situation happening are reduced, I think.

They had to buy Retro in order to salvage all the money they had spent on them previously. They don't need to buy NLG. I think Nintendo has made it pretty clear that they have grown tired of the second-party game, and they have never really been ones to buy out independent companies. Retro, Monolith Soft, and ND Cube are the exceptions, but out of those three Monolith is the only one that was created without Nintendo's involvement.

zroid

Banned
They had to buy Retro in order to salvage all the money they had spent on them previously. They don't need to buy NLG. I think Nintendo has made it pretty clear that they have grown tired of the second-party game, and they have never really been ones to buy out independent companies. Retro, Monolith Soft, and ND Cube are the exceptions, but out of those three Monolith is the only one that was created without Nintendo's involvement.

You may be right. Either way, there in undoubtedly something to be gained for Nintendo, however the risk/reward may be a tricky one to balance.

GhaleonQ

"It’s more than just the feel and look that makes the game so special though. The small details of Dark Moon reek of attention and quality. In the front yard of the mansion is a tree with coins in it, and sucking on the branches with the Poltergust brings down the loot, but it also rattles some wind chimes that spookily clank in the quiet air. Craft and care make this game sing, even in a sample size."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...st-2012-game-luigis-mansion-dark-moon-preview

*shrugs*

Top Bottom