• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Engine Technical Director Yoshihisa Hashimoto Leaves Square Enix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Obviously Luminous is near completion and his services in that area are not required. Don't let that triple mod combo post create fear my friends.

Everything is alright!

BELIEVE!

TheTux

solid.......now how long was crystal tools in development for......I remember that original tech demo for FFXIV ssssoooo long ago.
I think that FFVII tech demo is 2006 was made using some kind or early Crystal Tools but I'm not sure, I may be totally wrong.

I honestly don't believe this will bring either the money or the kudos that many imagine it will.
Agreed

artsi

So what exactly does this mean for the state of Luminous? I hardly think it means it's kill, even if Hashimoto was the technical director, they could have had a replacement take over his duties, FFXII didn't suddenly die because Matsuno left, Ito and Minagawa took over as directors.

I mean they have an entire team working on it already, but this sudden departure means something is definitely up, directors don't just up and leave without a reason, for Matsuno it was him not being able to hand the pressure of a leading a mainline FF and becoming ill over it.

I'll wait for official information from SE before drawing any conclusions regarding the state of Luminous.

Maybe he left for personal reasons, directors are human too, situations change and stuff happens. In the end he's just one man with a title in a huge company, and might've been replaced already.

TheTux

I'll wait for official information from SE before drawing any conclusions regarding the state of Luminous.

Maybe he left for personal reasons, directors are human too, situations change and stuff happens. In the end he's just one man with a title in a huge company, and might've been replaced already.

I agree but I'm not sure SQEX would tell everyone that their engine is "dead" after all they said about it. Even assuming that the engine is "dead" I'm sure it was not 100% wasted time though.

Andeeeh

Only a FF7 remake can save them now.

Long have I believed they wouldn't remake it unless they're on their last legs. Looks like they're heading there now.

Hah, imagine.

E3 2015.
FF7 Remake Teaser. Logo and text only.
Fans go crazy.
10 years later. FF7 press only gameplay teaser.
Please be excite.

artsi

I agree but I'm not sure SQEX would tell everyone that their engine is "dead" after all they said about it. Even assuming that the engine is "dead" I'm sure it was not 100% wasted time though.

Probably not, but it'll be clear that Luminous was scrapped if they announce that they've licensed UE4 for future games, or something like that.

UberTag

Stefan™;122115079 said:
The company's about to crumble.

I can feel it.
It's about time. We can finally put some of these vaporware games out to pasture.
I'm looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, imagine.

E3 2015.
FF7 Remake Teaser. Logo and text only.
Fans go crazy.
10 years later. FF7 press only gameplay teaser.
Please be excite.

The demo will be "included" with the 4K version of Lightning Saga: Children of Lightning, the 3rd part in a trilogy about Lightning's new life in post LR.

Probably not, but it'll be clear that Luminous was scrapped if they announce that they've licensed UE4 for future games, or something like that.

That depends on how well documented UE4 is for the Japanese. UE3 had very bad and limited documentation in Japanese when SE used it for Last Remnant and that resulted in a badlly made 360 version and Japanese fans still constantly voting for The Last Remnant (PS3 Version) in the Famitsu weekly chart for Most Anticipated Game.

Bazztek

Banned
In the end he's just one man with a title in a huge company, and might've been replaced already.

Yeah exactly.

He was lead director of the Hedgehog engine which was first used in Unleashed, and that came out in 2008, he then left Sega in 2009, and later Generations used the Hedgehog engine in 2011 without him, I think people are jumping the gun thinking him leaving Luminous means the engine is dead, because the Hedgehog engine didn't die after he left Sega either.

Obviously something like UE is just too mature and well documented to compete with their own inhouse Luminous engine...

This just stinks of bad management and stubbornness

JordanN

Banned
I don't know that Crystal Tools was a failure, it took a while, but XIII was an astonishing technical accomplishment. It's just a poorly designed game, as was XIII-2, as was TLR, SE need new creative leads and far better management, it's become embarrassing.

It was?
I remember this game got wailed on for having no grass (the infamous "lawn mower fantasy")

iMDP9cC5KzHBD.jpg

i8vWBqKeeJdp5.jpg

Labadal

I don't know that Crystal Tools was a failure, it took a while, but XIII was an astonishing technical accomplishment. It's just a poorly designed game, as was XIII-2, as was TLR, SE need new creative leads and far better management, it's become embarrassing.

FFXIII was the most jarring game from a technical point of view. The game looked amazing at times and then, out of nowhere, there would be places that looked like crap compared to anything else. Lightning's model was really impressive in-game but there were times in cut scenes where the quality of the model would differ greatly. Some environments had great textures and then there were some small areas or just stones, or w/e that would have poor PS2 quality textures.

li bur

Obviously Luminous is near completion and his services in that area are not required. Don't let that triple mod combo post create fear my friends.

Everything is alright!

BELIEVE!

Sorry man, after that TLG thread and now this, I can't help but thinking that you truly are a masochist.

TheTux

True

That depends on how well documented UE4 is for the Japanese. UE3 had very bad and limited documentation in Japanese when SE used it for Last Remnant and that resulted in a badlly made 360 version and Japanese fans still constantly voting for The Last Remnant (PS3 Version) in the Famitsu weekly chart for Most Anticipated Game.
Yeah I got bored and irritated by The Last Remnant almost instantly, even the camera movements were terrible to me.

Anyway does anyone expects something new from Nomura this week at SDCC?

It was?
I remember this game got wailed on for having no grass (the infamous "lawn mower fantasy")

Bad grass and fingers yep. Apart from that it was amazing imo.

Koozek

Nachtigall ik hör dir trapsen.

Hoffen wir mal nicht :(

Man, even though we know for so long that barely anyone of the old, golden era staff is even at SE anymore it's still makes me sad to see it crumble slowly but surely. It's been a part of my life for as long as I can think...
Well, maybe this news isn't as bad as we think. I'm sure we'll see a FFXV trailer at Gamescom next month. Or at TGS at the latest.
BELIEVE.

Bazztek

Banned
Anyway does anyone expects something new from Nomura this week at SDCC?

He's going to be on the same radio show he was on just weeks before the Versus/XV re-reveal last year too, so I expect nothing more than a "please look forward to future updates (laughs)".

TheTux

Hoffen wir mal nicht :(

Man, even though we know for so long that barely anyone of the old, golden era staff is even at SE anymore it's still makes me sad to see it crumble slowly but surely. It's been a part of my life for as long as I can think...
Well, maybe this news isn't as bad as we think. I'm sure we'll see a FFXV trailer at Gamescom next month. Or at TGS at the latest.
BELIEVE.

TGS for sure imo. Gamescom looks silly since they skipped E3 but who knows... Square is such a troll company sometimes lol.

Please be excited for FFXV new infos soon --> No news for 1+ year lol

Edit:
I don't think selling the only successful part of your company is the smart move.
I don't even know if Eidos can be considered the "most successful" part of the company or even "successful". I loved their DE: Human Revolution but keep in mind they were losing lots of money before Square Enix acquired them. Don't know too much about Thief but I guess it wasn't that profitable.

Edit2: Plus I believe Square Enix helped Eidos/Crystal Dynamics a lot with their project (Visual Works and stuff)

LuuKyK

:(

Thats really bad. The engine seemed promising. Really hope they find a way to recover from all this. The company seems in such a bad situation right now.

If he was the dude who made the Hedgehog Engine look that good last gen and was going to revolutionize the looks of FF the same way, then this shit is terrible. Luminous was one of the best looking things a few e3s ago. :/

Kinyou

That guy seems to be quite the talent. Wonder what that will mean for ffxv

Triple moderator whammy.

You know it's bad.
lol, that's what I was thinking
Has a single game been shown running in real time on the Luminous engine?
Isn't ffxv using the engine? There's some real time gameplay of that.

Edit:my mistake apparently is the luminous engine only used for lightning in that game

Jarnet87

So... How many months before some Chinese f2p company buys this joke of a company and we can stop having any hopes for their future?

The story of Square Enix must be more tragic. Therefore a Pachinko company will buy them and just make Final Fantasy themed Pachinko machines.

No! One of my favorite studios. I really hope this isn't going to mean doom for FFXV and KHIII. I've always thought Japanese leadership is really tight, but it seems that most of these studios are ran like some anarchic movement.

Zack117

Banned
Damn, I totally forgot about the Luminous Engine. I've been highly impressed when I saw the presentation back then at E3 2012. It got me very excited about the next generation of consoles.

I just hope that the engine and the corresponding games won't suffer from this. Also, good luck to the guy.

Tetranet

Meh, too many anecdotes surrounding Luminous Engine. I don't think it's accurate to make any sort of claim.

That bing translation is also awful, how can the software fail at something as simple as this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom