• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar: The Silver Star remakes - the good, bad, an the ???

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
These past few weeks I've been replaying the remakes of the original Sega CD Lunar game! An by that I mean the remake, the remake of the remake, an finally the remake of the remake of... where was I going with all of this? Right! I just felt like talking about some differences I've noticed in each release. Trying ta determine the best one an all that. I'ma go with the order in which I've replayed 'em btw!

ll.jpg

- Lunar Legend (2002)
Well okay this is different already just going by the title! No sign of "Silver Star" in it at all! But were people really begging for a Lunar GBA port? I dunno but I like it!

Good
• There's some interesting scenario changes mostly early on, like meeting Nash very early and saving the ship from pirates instead of a slime monster.
• Saving and reloading restores your partys HP/MP! Is that cheating? I don't care!
• The sprites/art! Looks better then the PSP game imo.
• Random battles! It's certainly not worse than seeing a monster on-screen which you cannot avoid. This greatly decreases the length of dungeons cause believe it or not you're getting into less battles then you are in the other versions! Plus there is obligatory "repel" items you can buy if ya really don't wanna fight.
• Much better inventory system!

Bad
• The translation? The dialogue can get real "wut" worthy. GBA character limits at work or just a dodgy localization in general?
• World Map gets treated like a menu now. Select where ya wanna go instead of getting ta walk there.
• Audio quality. Well its the GBA so what'd ya expect? This isn't no Golden Sun level music/sound effect quality we're getting here!
• The transition between entering/leaving places sucks! It also causes the music to pause!
• Cutscenes aren't animated but given the system its on did ya really expect 'em to be? Instead ya get some real low quality still images from the cutscenes.

???
• Why was the White Dragon Cave completely cut? And the Hag's Forest?
• What happened to Bows? They added some new weapon types sure but why cut one?
• This is much shorter than the other two versions. Because of cuts, non-animated cutscenes, and generally faster pace. Kinda tempted to list this under Good since if ya want a "Lunar Done Quick" experience this can be blown through in half a day.
• So many item/spell name changes. Why are Herbs now "Healing Gum"? Why is Heal Litany now "Heal Ave"? What does Ave mean?!
• Battle positioning doesn't matter nearly as much. It matters for whether or not how much of your party is hit by an AOE attack, but for normal physcial attacks your characters and monsters no longer run around the field so barring whiffs each sides guaranteed ta get all their hits in.

New stuffs!
• Trading Cards! Dropped from baddies, got from shops, Link Cable'd with a friend to trade 'em. There's like over 170 of these and ya know what? Its not a bad thing. They basically work like a character/monster gallery an since I like the art/sprites in this game they're nice ta look through.
• Not-Limit Breaks! Okay wait I looked in the instruction book and read these are called Arts. Great. The name may be kinda vanilla but they're generally useful as super moves tend to be. Unfortunately from what I noticed, the gauge only raises if your character does a normal attack, which late into the game pretty much equals wasted turns for Nash, Jessica, and Mia.
• Weapon types! Wands (differ from Canes how?), Hammers (which replace Maces), Claws, and Barehanded! The latter ones trade attack power for defense or an extra attack!
• Bonus dungeon! Par for the course extra for RPG remakes. Ya gotta get through an already difficult optional dungeon ta gain access to this one!

lssh.jpg

- Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (2009/2010)
Since this is the only one of the trio to get released in Europe I assume this is the version more people are familiar with. If this ones your only exposure to the series, I'm so sorry for ya ;.;

Good
• The updated soundtracks pretty great if ya ask me. That normal battle themes got some nice extra oomph to it!
• I like the lil pre-story thing with the Four Heroes. Seeing their younger selves an how they acted is nice, especially for Lemia since her personality doesn't come across so well in the main game because reasons.
• Barring Working Designs infamous jokes, the dialogue is just about word for word with the PS1 game, even them initially calling the Pao elder "him" when its a her, meaning its not a garbled mess like the GBA game.
• Arts guage now goes up if ya use magic or take damage (I think?) so later in the game Nash, Jessica, and Mia can actually use their super moves!
• The menus are a downgrade but shared inventory & stackable items is always nice.

Bad
• I don't like the redone art & sprites. I did appreciate the added touch of having a Gorgon Ghidra plush/statue in Mia's room though!
• Vocal songs. The lyrics seem stiff, like they're trying hard ta match the pacing of the music and coming across as unnatural.
• The transition between entering/leaving places sucks! It also causes the music to pause! Ya it happens in this version to.
• Battle animations of almost all varietys are real slow an drawn out.
• Movement speed feels sluggish compared to the PS1 & GBA versions.
• If a party member is poisoned/paralyzed/stoned after a battle ends ya gotta sit around watching Nall's slow butt flitter around curing them instead of those status effects just disappearing on their own. Who thought this was a good idea?
• Oh hey the World Map is treated like a menu again an somehow its worse then in the GBA version. Why? Well ya gotta watch your character walk from place to place now. An the multi-screen areas of the map get kinda confusing/jumpy to scroll through.
• Isometric view sucks cause it makes places feel small an cramped. This is supremely bad in dungeons because it makes avoiding encounters all but impossible!
• Monsters respawn when ya exit then return to a room which didn't happen in the PS1 game. This is bad because avoiding baddies as stated is nearly impossible, the transition between screens sucks as it is, dungeon rooms being much smaller now meaning more screen switching = more forced battles = halp. The culmination of all this suck is the Lyton Wind Shrine dungeon. Have fun!

???
• Why was this not fully voice acted in an era when many/most other PSP games/rpgs got the full voice acting treatment?
• Hey remember that bonus dungeon from the GBA version? Ya its not here because???
• Why're they using some of the spell names from the GBA port? Like "Riot" for instance.
• Dungeon redesigns can be good, bad, or just okay. On their own they're not necessarily bad but couple with the issues inherent with this version of the game some come across much worse then they shoulda been.
• The get monster to chase ya to break obstacle thing is gone. I dun think anyone liked that in the first place so whatevs!

New Stuffs!
• Loading clear data from the demo doesn't retain your progress but it does net ya a decent early-game weapon!
• Prequelogue? Before starting the main game ya fight the final bosses of Dyne's story!

lsssc.jpg

- Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (1998/1999)
Welcome to Uncle Vic's Wild Ride in which bosses scale in level with Alex up to L50 (supposedly) and regular ol' baddies more often then not have regular attacks which can knock off half or more of any party members HP! But even so this is by far the best version!

Good
• Towns/Dungeons are pretty much fully loaded so once ya enter one you're good to go for the most part! No waiting for loading entering a home, no pause in the music, its just great! ^.^
• Towns/Dungeons are big! Not cut down into tiny lil screens!
• I feel like Jessica stays more useful regular attack-wise muuuch further into the game than in the others and her healing spell power keeps getting better instead of stalling like in the PSP game.
• Wow the shop menus are actually useful unlike in certain other versions! Ya can tell which gear is for which character an the stat improvements!
• Outtakes after the credits!

Bad
• Inventory management! Party members can only hold 6 items each, same items don't stack, an its that special kind of old school clunky shuffling items around.
• Rumble usage really coulda been less than full blast in most situations... it kinda got real distracting during story scenes.

???
• Random Working Designs humor! You're either okay with it or not.
• This is the only one in which Alex's sprite doesn't get the Dragonmaster hat in or out of battle. Kinda weird.

New Stuffs!
Lotsa stuff maybe? Been forevers since I even saw the Sega CD original!

In terms of game length here's how long they each took me this time around. Didn't go for all the secrets or excessive grinding btw.

Lunar GBA: 12:17:33
Lunar PSP: 21:33:40
Lunar PS1: 24:56:52

Special Mentions!
- Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch (2012)
Does this even count as a remake? From what I've read its a straight up port of the PS1 game except it uses the PSP games soundtrack and voice acting. Apparently its also no longer available for purchase soooo its kinda a non-thing now. Guess it's back now or never left at all? Could be a viable way ta play it for peeps that like gaming on their phones.

l2ebc.jpg

- Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (1999/2000)
The only remake of the sequel! Why? It was to good an they just knew they couldn't outdo themselves. Or maybe its not as beloved? idk. Its a much better game overall than the original, as sequels usually are!

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
The GBA version is broken. Save your game and restart. Boot it back up, everyone's HP and MP are recovered.

Buuuuut I sort of did like the GBA sprites! Good thread OP

Toth

I really enjoyed the PSP version but the prologue section was very disappointing. It feels wildly disjointed from the main Lunar mythos and sets up some villainous presence that is not referred to again (unless I was missing some Zohar reference). Otherwise, the game is absolutely gorgeous and well animated. Missing the WD translation was not as bad as I thought it would be but it does show the care Victor and co. put into their work.

Nanashrew

Banned
Music in the PSP version tries to stay more literal and accurate to the original, but that's not how you should translate music. By going more literal it it makes it stiff and unnatural because it doesn't match the meter of the song very well. Similar thing happened with the FE:Fates song.

Songs always must be liberal on translation to match the meter of the song so it sounds natural. Rhythm Heaven is a good example of how it's done.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Never touched the GBA remake or the original, but the PS1 version blows the PSP remake out of the water. I've never played such a brain-dead easy game in my life.

Maybe it's good that Lunar 2 only got one remake, and that it was good.

Fularu

Banned
Regarding "Heal Ave" it's probably a "play" on "Ave Maria" and the latin word itself means "Hail" or "Be well"

So in a sense, it "makes sense". And no, the GBA version wasn't horrible at all, I enjoyed it (I know you list it as good, it's preemptive wording about the stupid hate anything other than the SCD or the PS versions get)

Cronox

Banned
I really enjoyed the PS1 Working Designs version back in the day. Started playing the sequel (Working Designs version again) and was immediately put off by how slow characters walked compared to the first game. Like they were stuck in molasses. Couldn't take it and stopped.

Oh my, Lunar was wonderful!
I have very fond memories of playing this on my SegaCD!

Never played any of the other versions, so thank you for this great write up!
Maybe it is time to revisit!

I've never played the original, but I've gone through all of the other versions. I'd say that SSSC, followed by Touch just for being easier to find, are the best versions to play. Legends and Harmony are far from bad, but both have some flaws. Legend blew my mind as a teen and it was a nice to have a portable (albeit easy) Lunar game. I'd recommend any of them.

The sequel is the better game, though. I'd kill for a remake of it.

piggychan

I have only ever beaten the saturn version.

I found the gba buggy and somehow I just couldn't get into the playstation ports probably because I think I didn't gel with how the music sounded on there and I can recall having some slowdown while playing it on the ps2 and that seriously put me off the game.

Personally I find the saturn version wonderful but to add to confusion it comes in 2 versions. I have the one that requires an MPEG card to get almost full screen almost 30frames a second cut scenes however they look a little washed out plus the game will not run without the MPEG decoder, while the most common version the cut scenes run in a very small window. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue addresses this and has much better encoding and just runs great with full screen FMV without any additional hardware.

The music in the saturn version has a very warm sound too but sadly it never got a translation.

C11627D1-8666-4D00-B138-561F741DE652.jpg

Luigi87

I enjoyed the GBA version for what it was.

The game was ridiculously easy though... until you hit the final boss and it's like "Wait, suddenly difficulty?"

7iberius

I'm interested in playing Lunar for the first time. Which version of it should I play?

I want to see what it is that people love about this game, so I'm thinking of going back before the newer remakes to either the SegaCD or maybe Saturn/PS1 versions. Which version best captures the magic of Lunar?

I'm interested in playing Lunar for the first time. Which version of it should I play?

I want to see what it is that people love about this game, so I'm thinking of going back before the newer remakes to either the SegaCD or maybe Saturn/PS1 versions. Which version best captures the magic of Lunar?

For me, it's the Sega CD one. The game is shorter, and there are less cinematics and voice acting, but the story is loads better, and the stakes feel a lot higher. The soundtrack is also far better than the PSX one.

If you're looking to play the series, I'd go Sega CD 1 and 2, then do the remakes. They add some cool stuff, and are enjoyable, and I do love em to death, but they just lost a little something in the upgrade to 32 bit. Lunar 2 is quite similar from Sega CD to PSX, but Lunar 1 is really a completely different game.

one of my favorite rpg series of all time i still have my ps1 copies of both games just wish we could get these on psn though :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Music in the PSP version tries to stay more literal and accurate to the original, but that's not how you should translate music. By going more literal it it makes it stiff and unnatural because it doesn't match the meter of the song very well. Similar thing happened with the FE:Fates song.

Songs always must be liberal on translation to match the meter of the song so it sounds natural. Rhythm Heaven is a good example of how it's done.
Ohhh so thats why it sounds so wrong to me. I could tell the lyrics were different but was dead certain I didn't find the singing weird only because of nostalgia.

Very nice write-up, but nothing will ever top the original release on Sega CD and its introductory movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLLN5U9w2U
I remember that intro! Its very hype! Shame the animations so slow, it just can't keep up.

THEY PULLED TOUCH!?

... No they didn't. Don't make me worry like that!
I'd read it was pulled last year but if it came back then hey I'd better fix my post then!

Regarding "Heal Ave" it's probably a "play" on "Ave Maria" and the latin word itself means "Hail" or "Be well"
Thanks for this! Thought it mighta been some musical term abbreviation due to character limits but your explanation makes a good deal of sense!

I really enjoyed the PS1 Working Designs version back in the day. Started playing the sequel (Working Designs version again) and was immediately put off by how slow characters walked compared to the first game. Like they were stuck in molasses. Couldn't take it and stopped.
Ack! My fond memories of the game doesn't include slow walking! I'm gonna start my replay of L2 today so I'll rediscover just how bad or not it is...

I enjoyed the GBA version for what it was.

The game was ridiculously easy though... until you hit the final boss and it's like "Wait, suddenly difficulty?"
I found the PSP versions final boss the hardest of the three, largely because Jessica's healing power was nerfed. My only game over in that game was that fight. Didn't have any trouble with it on GBA this most recent time through.

Korigama

Not at all surprised that Complete was much better than any of the other TSS remakes. Was not aware that Complete was literally the only remake of Lunar 2, though.

As a disclaimer, though, I should note that the Complete versions were the only ones I've played of both.

I still don't understand why they did full-on rebuilds of that game three fucking times. The initial PS1/Saturn ones, sure, those were at least pretty solid upgrades. Everything after that just felt kind of excessive. If you're going to re-do all of the assets and systems, why not just make an original game?

Then again, they did eventually make Dragon Song which from what I gathered was kind of garbage, so maybe it's better that they stuck to re-making one of the good games over and over again. They could have at least re-done the superior second game in the place of one of those SS remakes, though!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Then again, they did eventually make Dragon Song which from what I gathered was kind of garbage, so maybe it's better that they stuck to re-making one of the good games over and over again. They could have at least re-done the superior second game in the place of one of those SS remakes, though!
I woulda bought a Lunar Legend 2. Even with the GBA's short life, Lunar Legend came out early into it (April, 2002 japan and Dec, 2002 u.s.). Back then I kept on waiting for news of the second game getting remade for it but that waiting never paid off. It got shafted in the same way Shining Force 2 did (original Shining Force got a really great GBA remake).

As for Dragon Song I've heard its so bad that even if ya got a Lunar collection, thats one thing ya don't wanna invite to the party!

I still don't understand why they did full-on rebuilds of that game three fucking times. The initial PS1/Saturn ones, sure, those were at least pretty solid upgrades. Everything after that just felt kind of excessive. If you're going to re-do all of the assets and systems, why not just make an original game?

Dragon Song was so basic it might as well have been a mobile game. What a letdown.

The Sega CD is still my favorite version of the game. Not as hard as the PSOne version, and I liked the story how it's told in the Sega cd version.

But I'm biased. lunar 1 on Sega cd is the first JRPG I really got into. Started my love of the genre

Bitanator

Lunar 1 is better to me than Lunar 2, the story is much more focused and I thought the sense of danger was much better realized even if the villain in the sequel was obviously more powerful. I cared much more for the outcome of the first games characters than the others, though I could change my mind if I play through them again. I sort of binged on them last year over summer break

I always felt the PSP version gets too much crap, I liked the new graphics, and yeah I agree combat was braindead, but SSSC never had great combat to beginwith, so I didn't much care. And at least the music didn't make me want to shoot myself in the head. SSSCs PS soundtrack was HORRIBLE, not in composition, but in instrumentation. I mean Dragon ~ Holy Spirit is one of the worst examples of this.

So much better!

Though the Sega CD/Saturn version is still king.

Lunar 2 Complete arguably has a worse soundtrack than the original. The fidelity is higher but some of the instrument choices are a downgrade, IMO. I went Lunar SSSC > Lunar 2 EB > Lunar 2 EBC, and that's still all I've played. I'll get around to the original someday, but the other remakes look so horrendous I'll never bother.

Whatever happened to that Steam entry for Lunar and Grandia? =(

Edit: I guess that applies to the original, too.

A.E Suggs

Lunar 1 is better to me than Lunar 2, the story is much more focused and I thought the sense of danger was much better realized even if the villain in the sequel was obviously more powerful. I cared much more for the outcome of the first games characters than the others, though I could change my mind if I play through them again. I sort of binged on them last year over summer break

It could go either way for me,2 told a different story is all I see it as since its what started things. 2 has a better main character imo.

People always shit on Harmony. It has flaws, but its still a viable way to play Lunar without having to pay exorbitant prices. PS1 version is tops, but Harmony ain't bad.

Meia

The Lunar WD releases were the first collector's editions of games I think I bought way back when. Great releases, and the games were great too.

I do wonder how well the WD humor holds up years later though. I remember laughing at an Austin Powers reference in the first one, but that may just kind of fall flat decades later.

I've played maybe 5-10 minutes into the first one on Sega CD and thought it was enjoyable, and then played the demo of the PSP one. I appreciated the ornate sprite work in the PSP version in an era largely geared towards polygons, but otherwise, there was something about it that was just lacking in charm for me, and I don't think that I ultimately even finished the demo, or if I did, it just had felt tedious enough to me that I didn't care and forgot how it ended.

I also once found a limited edition copy of Lunar 2 for PS1 at a Goodwill one time and got really excited about it, but some human wasteland had already stolen the discs out of it.

So what I'm gathering from this thread is "stick primarily to the Sega CD versions, but the PS1 versions are a good time too," followed by "if you have no other option, GBA and PSP are certainly playable if not ideal"?

The Lunar WD releases were the first collector's editions of games I think I bought way back when. Great releases, and the games were great too.

I do wonder how well the WD humor holds up years later though. I remember laughing at an Austin Powers reference in the first one, but that may just kind of fall flat decades later.

Little references don't hold up perfectly, but the majority of the humor does just fine. WD's translation is what made the game for me. A more traditional translation would have made the game seem very flat... And indeed, subsequent remakes/sequels/ports have only further proved that I think.

As for the psp version... I wanted to love it, but there are too many little things that ruin the experience (respawning monsters, music cutting in and out when you screen transition, squished maps, unbalanced leveling curve, the aforementioned flatter translation).

As much as i loved the style of the psp version i just couldn't finish it, the unavoidable enemies and reloading enemies made the game tedious to play - especially when nial does the healing/status removing after every damn battle! trying to return from one area to another town was tedious when you have to traverse certain areas and are forced into battles that are utterly pointless

I gave in somewhere after getting the full dragon armour

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I always felt the PSP version gets too much crap, I liked the new graphics, and yeah I agree combat was braindead, but SSSC never had great combat to beginwith, so I didn't much care.
I wouldn't knock SSH for its braindead combat cause heck I cheesed Legend by generously using the save/load trick! But while SSSC's is basic its much more involving since ya gotta pay attention to battles and the commands you're selecting, otherwise even normal baddies'll stomp ya.

People always shit on Harmony. It has flaws, but its still a viable way to play Lunar without having to pay exorbitant prices. PS1 version is tops, but Harmony ain't bad.
I had fun playing SSH back when it first came out but playing these remakes all in a row like this really showed how flawed SSH is. The game speed is just plain sluggish in practically every area an it greatly takes away from the experience.

As for the psp version... I wanted to love it, but there are too many little things that ruin the experience (respawning monsters, music cutting in and out when you screen transition, squished maps, unbalanced leveling curve, the aforementioned flatter translation).
I didn't find SSH's translation to be flat, as I noted the dialogue is practically word for word with SSSC's script. Not 100% but fairly close outside of throwaway jokes an such. I mean they even kept the Mel founding Meribia thing. An its certainly not the mess Legend's script is!

I only played SSSC on PS1 and SSH on PSP. I couldn't get far though because Nall's voice actor in SSH was legitimately one of the worst I've ever heard. So grating that I can still hear it in my nightmares. >_> SSSC was great, though I admittedly never played the original. I was a kid when I played SSSC and Lunar 2 so I have a lot of nostalgia for the wonky Working Designs localization.

It's a shame Lunar 2 hasn't gotten more remakes, though I think that's down to licensing issues. I like it a lot more than Silver Star Story and it was probably my favorite JRPG as a kid, and held that title for a very long time.

Top Bottom