• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar: The Silver Star remakes - the good, bad, an the ???

I really, really, really loved Lunar. It was the first RPG I ever played (back on the Sega CD!). The PlayStation remake/re-releases are the pride of my collection. Working Designs put a lot of heart into their localizations and the Lunar 2: Eternal Blue strategy guide was one of the best I've seen. Apart from offering game guidance, it had a crap ton of behind the scenes info, artwork, and comics.

LegatoB

I absolutely hated the HP/MP restoration when loading your game in the GBA version. It completely destroyed any pacing the game had. Lunar's combat wasn't particularly sophisticated, but between the simplification in the mechanics and the complete lack of any tension going through dungeons, trying to conserve resources for bosses/tough fights, the GBA version was a total bore.

But it was portable. That was a plus.

The various versions of Lunar: Eternal Blue are some of my favorite games of all time. It's a real shame that the PS1 version isn't up on the PSN for some portable Vita playing goodness.

If I had the opportunity to make a sequel to any series of my choice, I would pick Lunar. As an added bonus, it would be hard for us to do worse than Dragon Song. ;)

Lothar

Banned
I'm interested in playing Lunar for the first time. Which version of it should I play?

I want to see what it is that people love about this game, so I'm thinking of going back before the newer remakes to either the SegaCD or maybe Saturn/PS1 versions. Which version best captures the magic of Lunar?

PS1 version absolutely. I don't know why anyone would recommend to you the Sega CD version. It's so bare and basic. Playing it after SSSC, it felt like everything I loved in SSSC and everything that makes it special and worth playing was not in the Sega CD version. The cutscenes, the dialogues after talking to each person in the towns, the party banter, the characterizations, being able to see enemies. Conversations that would be a few minutes long in the PS1 version are just 2 or 3 lines in the Sega CD version. And the interactions between the party members are by far the best thing about the games.

The only thing I'll say in the Sega CD's version favor is the overworld and battle music were better.

Synless

Why have we never gotten a remake of the second game? After the PSP version I couldn't wait for the sequel... Which never came. I will never get a chance to play this at the rate we are going.

Krejlooc

Banned
Why have we never gotten a remake of the second game? After the PSP version I couldn't wait for the sequel... Which never came. I will never get a chance to play this at the rate we are going.
Lunar Eternal Blue got a remake on the Playstation and Saturn.

jjasso21

I loved Lunar 1 and 2 on the PS1. Although it was a remake, it had fun game play and enjoyable characters. Even the PSP version was enjoyable with all of the slowdown. I tried the GBA version, but couldn't get into it.

PS1 version absolutely. I don't know why anyone would recommend to you the Sega CD version. It's so bare and basic. Playing it after SSSC, it felt like everything I loved in SSSC and everything that makes it special and worth playing was not in the Sega CD version. The cutscenes, the dialogues after talking to each person in the towns, the party banter, the characterizations, being able to see enemies. Conversations that would be a few minutes long in the PS1 version are just 2 or 3 lines in the Sega CD version. And the interactions between the party members are by far the best thing about the games.

The only thing I'll say in the Sega CD's version favor is the overworld and battle music were better.

The Sega CD version of Lunar 2 was really bizarre. Working Designs implemented a pay to save system that wasn't very fun. And the Borgan fight in Neo Vale was a huge pain in the butt.

I'm glad I played and beat Lunar first and only on my SegaCD.

What a great experience it was for me at the time, as it was maybe only my second or 3rd RPG in life. If you don't include any Zelda game, I think it was my second after the original Dragon Warrior that came with my Nintendo Power subscription as a child.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I just played Lunar 2 EBC for 2 hours an its still as good as I remember! Love how it starts off in the thick of some action and humor unlike the first games slow burn of a start. Plus Hiro begins at Level 7 so he's already many steps ahead of Alex! Ruby's already proven better then Nall since she gets attacks in on baddies instead of just flying around doing nothing in battle! Plus after 3 Lunar 1's in a row this games music a fresh delight to my ears!

Oh an while ya do move slower in dungeons, ya do have a dash button now! Already its been useful in baiting out baddies then zipping past 'em ta avoid encounters. Still full speed in towns and only somewhat slower on the world map.

I only played SSSC on PS1 and SSH on PSP. I couldn't get far though because Nall's voice actor in SSH was legitimately one of the worst I've ever heard. So grating that I can still hear it in my nightmares. >_>
WD's Nall honestly isn't much better imo. Neither his portrait nor the fact that he's the teams wisecracker fit the crazy high pitched voice they gave him!

I waited for GBA Lunar 2. I waited for PSP Lunar 2. Peeps are prolly waiting for iOS Lunar 2. Its just never gonna happen apparently -.-

SpotAnime

The original sega cd version is the best

This saddens me as I was a Sega fanboy growing up yet because I didn't get into RPGs until the PSX era I missed out on all those classic games, including Lunar 1 and 2 on Sega CD.

I did, however, pick up both on PSX but have yet to play them. They are in my collection.

I also have the PSP and GBA versions, but sadly only playex through the latter, when it was first released. I vaguely remember the save healing but I also remember enjoying the game for what it was. So, it wasn't bad enough to be offensive, and good enough I got through it.

Nice write up, OP. Maybe one of these days I'll cozy up to those PSX releases anx hammer through them.

Vice

how's the iOS version?

always wanted to play this

I played through it a few years ago on an iPhone 4s. Everything ran well, translation was good, music and voices didn't hit the same spot as the PS1 version. It's a good version, just slightly worse than the PS1 version for me.

This saddens me as I was a Sega fanboy growing up yet because I didn't get into RPGs until the PSX era I missed out on all those classic games, including Lunar 1 and 2 on Sega CD.

I did, however, pick up both on PSX but have yet to play them. They are in my collection.

I also have the PSP and GBA versions, but sadly only playex through the latter, when it was first released. I vaguely remember the save healing but I also remember enjoying the game for what it was. So, it wasn't bad enough to be offensive, and good enough I got through it.

Nice write up, OP. Maybe one of these days I'll cozy up to those PSX releases anx hammer through them.

Dont feel too bad, you've got the psx version of the first game and I'd definitely put it over the Sega CD version in every area except the music, and there was also one part of the plot that I feel was done better in the original. But aside from that, the PSX version is the way to go.

cj_iwakura

One of the games where the originals still did it better, and will never be surpassed. Most challenge, biggest adventure, biggest world maps. Especially Lunar 1. Lunar 2's remake was pretty close, but going from The Silver Star to SSSC is almost an entirely different game with the huge story changes, namely
Ghaleon capturing instead of murdering and Luna not staying behind.

The Sega CD version of Lunar 2 was really bizarre. Working Designs implemented a pay to save system that wasn't very fun. And the Borgan fight in Neo Vale was a huge pain in the butt.

You mean it was actually a challenge. The remakes are pathetically easy in comparison. It doesn't even have the Star Dragon guardian!

WD's Nall honestly isn't much better imo. Neither his portrait nor the fact that he's the teams wisecracker fit the crazy high pitched voice they gave him!

Yeah, that's true. I replayed SSSC again last year and Nall's VA was still pretty lackluster. My opinion was probably colored by Eternal Blue to an extent. I'll take that over whatever SSH's is supposed to be, though. Really, a lot of the VAs in both Eternal Blue and Silver Star are pretty hammy and don't really suit the designs, but that adds to the whimsical appeal of it for me. There are a few that are well done though, Leo from Lunar 2 and Kyle in Silver Star off the top of my head.

You mean it was actually a challenge. The remakes are pathetically easy in comparison. It doesn't even have the Star Dragon guardian!

I actually kind of appreciate the easiness of the PS1 remakes. 8-9 year old me was not good at video games, and I couldn't imagine having to deal with some of the stuff in the Sega CD version at that age. I carried that hardcover Lunar 2 guide around like a bible for a good while. One of the best guidebooks I've ever used. I bought a mint copy a while back just to have it.

Man, I'm so done with Silver Star. Bought the GBA version in the hopes of getting a GBA version of Lunar 2. Didn't happen. Bought the PSP version in the hopes of getting a PSP version of Lunar 2. Didn't happen. Was tempted to get the mobile version, but nah.

Why won't they remake Lunar 2? WHY WON'T THEY REMAKE LUNAR 2?!

To me, the PS1 version of Silver Star is still THE version to play. The GBA remake suffers from a mediocre translation and downgraded music, while the PSP one...just wasn't really all that good. The Four Heroes prologue it added was such a letdown. Cool idea, lame execution.

I actually replayed Lunar 2 a few months back. It's still got that magic, even if it's now really hard for me to ignore the massive amounts of cheese in the story/dialogue. I love how Zophar
and Ghaleon
spend almost the entire game just standing around laughing. Those dudes are having such a good time shitting all over Lucia.

cj_iwakura

I actually kind of appreciate the easiness of the PS1 remakes. 8-9 year old me was not good at video games, and I couldn't imagine having to deal with some of the stuff in the Sega CD version at that age. I carried that hardcover Lunar 2 guide around like a bible for a good while. One of the best guidebooks I've ever used. I bought a mint copy a while back just to have it.

I finished TSS at 13. :p Talk about trial by fire.

Patryn

I'm interested in playing Lunar for the first time. Which version of it should I play?

I want to see what it is that people love about this game, so I'm thinking of going back before the newer remakes to either the SegaCD or maybe Saturn/PS1 versions. Which version best captures the magic of Lunar?

I'd advise the PS1 version of Silver Star, but Sega CD for Eternal Blue.

I have only ever beaten the saturn version.

I found the gba buggy and somehow I just couldn't get into the playstation ports probably because I think I didn't gel with how the music sounded on there and I can recall having some slowdown while playing it on the ps2 and that seriously put me off the game.

Personally I find the saturn version wonderful but to add to confusion it comes in 2 versions. I have the one that requires an MPEG card to get almost full screen almost 30frames a second cut scenes however they look a little washed out plus the game will not run without the MPEG decoder, while the most common version the cut scenes run in a very small window. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue addresses this and has much better encoding and just runs great with full screen FMV without any additional hardware.

The music in the saturn version has a very warm sound too but sadly it never got a translation.

I'm interested in picking up the Japanese versions of these games. When factoring all the versions, are the Saturn versions better than the PS1 versions, or do the CD versions still come out on top?

I'm also interested if story changes that happened between CD and PS1 happened in the Japanese versions, too.

The original sega cd version is the best

It really is.It has less voice, it doesn't have actual anime scenes (bitmap animations FTW) and it is a lot shorter. But it just feels better. I do like the remake, but the overall story is just so butchered in the PSX version that it kills it for me. I also like the little details like how there are no palate swapped enemies.

All of the remake versions also flat out ruin one of the best twists in Lunar 2.

Do we know why the PSX versions never made it to PSN? I would totally play those again.

Big rights mess. Vic's been trying to get them up on the PSN for years, but hasn't managed it yet.

Game Arts is now owned by Gungho. They did a survey a while back about which Game Arts games people would like to see revived or ported & the Lunars were on the list. So far, nothing's come of that though other than the Grandia 2 Steam port.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What makes the Sega CD ones even harder then the PS1 editions? So far in Lunar 2 all normal encounters leave me healing up afterwards an I haven't beaten any boss on my first shot yet, an I wasn't faring much better in the first game either until far far into it.

All of the remake versions also flat out ruin one of the best twists in Lunar 2.
I prolly should know this already considering how many times I've played these game and am dumbly forgetting but what? "Spoiler" me please!

cj_iwakura

What makes the Sega CD ones even harder then the PS1 editions? So far in Lunar 2 all normal encounters leave me healing up afterwards an I haven't beaten any boss on my first shot yet, an I wasn't faring much better in the first game either until far far into it.

I prolly should know this already considering how many times I've played these game and am dumbly forgetting but what? "Spoiler" me please!
A few bosses are seriously dumbed down in the remakes, and you have more OP abilities. Sometimes more party members, too. As for the spoiler, I'm guessing
Fake Althena/Luna being dead. Or Ghaleon's return.

Zee-Row

Banned
I had to stop playing the PSP version mainly because of the loading when entering a house or going to a different screen. It annoyed me way too much.

Nairume

Banned
A few bosses are seriously dumbed down in the remakes, and you have more OP abilities.
It's been a while, but I also remember the changes made to the combat system itself between Silver Star and Silver Star Story also made a decent impact on the game's difficulty.

It's Althena's death. Basically in the Sega CD Lunar 1, Althena would periodically be reborn as a human, but she would always return to being the Goddess. However because Luna fell in love with Alex she decided to live out her life as a human and break the cycle. In SSSC, that choice is already made. Althena, by being reborn as Luna decided to no longer be a goddess, because she fell in love with Dyne. It's just a lot worse.

It also ruins the surprise in Lunar 2, where you are trying to rescue Althena, and then realize that it's pointless, she's been gone for a thousand years. All that tension, that huge twist, one of the biggest in the game just completely ruined. It's just a shame.

I also preferred Ghaleon's motivations in the Sega CD one. They were much stronger, IMO.

A few bosses are seriously dumbed down in the remakes, and you have more OP abilities. Sometimes more party members, too. As for the spoiler, I'm guessing
Fake Althena/Luna being dead. Or Ghaleon's return.

Yeah, fatman in the remakes is a JOKE. I also prefer the spells that you have available in the Sega CD version, there are more of them with more variety in effects and what they do. It's just standard spell progression in the PS1 version.

I always love it when Lunar threads come up.
My first experience with the Luanr series was when I tried out Lunar2: Eternal Blue Complete. I ended up getting this game as a used gift because one of the video stores closed down in my town. The pendent didn't come with it, but the book did.I wasn't super into the anime art style and as a young kid I was scared I would get in trouble for playing it due to the first scene with Lucia. I ended up forgetting about it for awhile.

Since I mainly played GBA, I ended up playing Lunar Legend. I didn't make a connection between Lunar Legend and Lunar 2 until i was well into Lunar Legend. I actually had a lot of fun playing Lunar Legend and I didn't even know people thought it was a bad game until I looked on the internet. I did however enjoy Lunar 2 a lot more. I was into anime a lot more, so it was pretty cool to see anime cutscenes in a game(It was not that common in the games I played). It was also just a fun RPG in general, and it was around the time when I started playing other classic RPG's such as FF6, SoM, and SoM 2. Being distracted by the games above, and the fact that I was under leveled made me play Lunar 2 off and on. I almost beat the game, but
my characters were under-leveled and I didn't have a lot of equipment. I didn't know that I was not able to return to town to get supplies. I think I remember warping back to the destiny to be disappointed by that and I had to climb Zophar's tower again which further depleted my supply. Years later I retried playing Lunar 2 and made sure not to have my character;''s under-leveled. Basically I didn't just run away all the time like I did when I was a kid. I beat Zophar and got the ending plus the epilogue.

I played Lunar Silver Star Harmony when it came out for PSP and I shared similar sentiments to you. It was a good game, but it felt really slow to me. I ended up modding my PSP so I could play Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete on it and I had a blast playing it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yay! Lunar 2 beaten! I stand by my words saying its better then the first! Gotta do the epilogue at some point but right now I'm Lunar'd out e.e

It's Althena's death. Basically in the Sega CD Lunar 1, Althena would periodically be reborn as a human, but she would always return to being the Goddess. However because Luna fell in love with Alex she decided to live out her life as a human and break the cycle. In SSSC, that choice is already made. Althena, by being reborn as Luna decided to no longer be a goddess, because she fell in love with Dyne. It's just a lot worse.
I dun really get it. Was Dyne/Althena/4 heroes expanded on in SSSC? Was her being reborn in the Sega CD original just like a happy coincidence?

It also ruins the surprise in Lunar 2, where you are trying to rescue Althena, and then realize that it's pointless, she's been gone for a thousand years. All that tension, that huge twist, one of the biggest in the game just completely ruined. It's just a shame.
Its not a twist for the characters, and at least the first time playing I bought into the possibility of her being back.

I think I remember warping back to the destiny to be disappointed by that and I had to climb Zophar's tower again which further depleted my supply.
This happened to me my first time through x.x I know this cause last night when I got to that dungeon I had strong flashbacks of getting wrecked by its inhabitants and boss, an having ta grind out some more levels. It was almost strong enough to make me stop playing this time lol but I shook myself outta it an knew I was much better prepared and leveled!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Stunned you didn't jump right into the epilogue
But I played 4 Lunars in 1 month... @_@ Believe me I do have the urge ta grind Chiro's, unlock teleport points, an such but I just can't. Keepin' that Disc.3 in my PS3 however since I dun suspect I can hold back for to long!

it's the biggest cliffhanger ending ever.
These day it'd be known as sequel bait an the epilogue would be a full game or DLC >_>

Also, the original Hiro VA was amazing in that final scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GSFVXRk_s

Always gives me chills.
Thats darn good, and haunting!

cj_iwakura

But I played 4 Lunars in 1 month... @_@ Believe me I do have the urge ta grind Chiro's, unlock teleport points, an such but I just can't. Keepin' that Disc.3 in my PS3 however since I dun suspect I can hold back for to long!

These day it'd be known as sequel bait an the epilogue would be a full game or DLC >_>

Thats darn good, and haunting!

Sadly he's the only one that didn't return for EBC. Lucia's VA was no slouch, either. She really sold that last line.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
The various versions of Lunar: Eternal Blue are some of my favorite games of all time. It's a real shame that the PS1 version isn't up on the PSN for some portable Vita playing goodness.

If I had the opportunity to make a sequel to any series of my choice, I would pick Lunar. As an added bonus, it would be hard for us to do worse than Dragon Song. ;)

Glad to hear you are a fan =D

Some Nobody

Man, I love Lunar so much. The first game is literally my favorite RPG of all time. I'd love to see a sequel--a real sequel, on PS4--one day, but freaking Dragon Song ruined everything. :(

Top Bottom