• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupe Fiasco's new Rap/Rock Band - Japanese Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice cream

Banned
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/artic...t-have-the-worst-british-accent-since-madonna
If you believe your ears, Japanese Cartoon is an overbearing new rap-rock band fronted by a faux-British accented Lupe Fiasco. If you believe Japanese Cartoon's website, the group is an overbearing new rap-rock band fronted by a man named Percival Fats, who "is NOT Lupe Fiasco." (Decide for yourself here.) A post on the site explains further: "[Lupe] is however the producer and we value his participation very much." So what's going on here? We tried his label, but Lupe isn't discussing the project just yet. Then again, what is the internet for if not rampant speculation all about pseudo bands?!

Unless Lupe cloned himself and taught his clone how to speak in a bogus English accent, Percival Fats is Lupe Fiasco. And Lupe/Percival is pissed. "FUCK THE ISRAELI ARMY!!! WHERE IS THE HUMANITY???" states the Japanese Cartoon MySpace page, which goes onto equate Israel's current military action in Gaza to the Nazis actions in World War II. And in the song "Army", the rapper derides those who "sit back and relax in your tanks and your leather chairs" while taking on the military-industrial complex in the blunt manner of an incensed college activist. It's not nuanced, but it's political and angry, which is sorta refreshing.

But the problem lies in the execution-- why does Lupe (assuming it is Lupe, etc.) feel like he needs to hide behind some thrift-store Gorillaz mask to put these fiery diatribes out there? He's been outspoken about this type of thing before ("Little Weapon," off 2007's The Cool, makes connections between violent video games and warmongering), so backing away now seems odd. According to the Japanese Cartoon site, the group sounds like ""A Tree Falling in the Forest With No One Around to Hear It," which is fitting, unfortunately.
http://www.myspace.com/japanesecartoon

Sounds like him to me.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Of course it's him, going by the last album!

So he's not retiring after all? :D

edit, sounds pretty bad

Imm0rt4l

yea it's mos def him. I remember he wanted to work with the Arctic Monkeys at one point, but that was supposed to be on the CRS tip.

Dali

For some reason this whole project makes me think of the Gorillaz. Well... the Gorillaz minus the originality and authentic British accent. He's got the fictional alter-ego thing down though. Now he just needs to get a famous artist to design the look of the band members.

"Heirplanes" would sound okay if only it had more cowbell.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
eh. Didn't really sound interesting, but maybe they'll go somewhere with it. the dude can do whatever he wants as long as lupEND hits.

hateradio said:
I think it's incorrect to call them "cartoons" it's Japanese Animation! Damn it. :D Anime bitches
most offensive post I've seen today.

Imm0rt4l

Dali said:
"Heirplanes" would sound okay if only it had more cowbell.

was going to say this myself but didn't want to sound like a broken record. Lupe will probably be hit or miss on his producing, "us placers" banged imo, but I recognize it could've been produced better.

Anyone notice that Percival Fats is an anagram for Facts Prevail?

[ I tried to contribute something interesting, I honestly did... :( It's also an anagram for Fecal Vats Rip... You tell me which one it is :lol ]

Foxix Von

Don't really know who this Lupe guy is but... when I started listening I thought it was aawwwwful. However about 20 seconds in something snapped in my brain and now I can't stop.

Gaf I think I'm broken.:lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm just happy The Prodigy is back. Invaders must Die ftw. March 2nd!

anyways, so is this like a mf doom style alias? except in a different genre of music.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm shocked anyone can call this horrible. They're obviously rough demos.

"Heirplanes" is cool.

But I kind of expect some straight up hip hop fans not to enjoy this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Knee jerk, bullshit political opinion? Sounds like Lupe to me

Would you kindly link to him having a bullshit political opinion? Or is this just more of the PeoenixDark Shitting On Talented Hip Hop Artists Tour.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
omg rite said:
I'm shocked anyone can call this horrible. They're obviously rough demos.

"Heirplanes" is cool.

But I kind of expect some straight up hip hop fans not to enjoy this.
Same shit happened with Pharell and N.E.R.D.. I like it when certain artists branch out a lil. As long as LupEND is magnificent as promised I could care less about what he does on the side.

M3wThr33

Banned
dog.jpg

Dali

DY_nasty said:
Same shit happened with Pharell and N.E.R.D.. I like it when certain artists branch out a lil. As long as LupEND is magnificent as promised I could care less about what he does on the side.
I think people were disappointed in NERD's first album because it just wasn't that great.

ZeoVGM

Banned
pakkit said:

Ah. Couple stupid things there I guess. Not as bad as I expected.

I'm more annoyed that I had to actually go to that piece of shit Pitchfork site.

Kreed said:
First Kanye tries a new gimmick and now Lupe, Pharell is probably next.

That was pretty dumb.

How is this a new gimmick? It's a sideproject that may not even be him. This isn't his new CD.

DY_nasty

Kreed said:
Pharell did it first. :lol

And the first N.E.R.D. album wasn't that bad. It damn sure wasn't great, but it had enough solid tracks to be called a decent album.

Imm0rt4l

Kreed said:
Pharrell had N*E*R*D first waaaay before anyone else did, and the shit wasn't a gimmick. NERD's good shit. Lupe and Pharrell are a lot alike in that their musical taste vary, and Lupe has made it no secret that he's wanted to do an alternative sound for a long time now and has even reached out to the arctic monkeys, this is a side project. I can't really speak for Kanye, as it seems more gimmicky than the others, but it's less far removed from what he was doing to begin with.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I finally heard it and I think it's awesome, love the british accent. First new thing I hear this year that doesn't suck.

Kreed

omg rite said:
That was pretty dumb.

How is this a new gimmick? It's a sideproject that may not even be him. This isn't his new CD.

Yeah sure, it's a "side project". Just like how Kanye was "experimenting" with the auto tuner on all those remixes and random tracks he spit verses on. And you have to be "pretty dumb" if you think that's not Lupe, but then I've notice you like defending horrible ideas in a lot of your posts so you're probably just living up to your tag.

DY_nasty said:
Pharell did it first. :lol

With what? N.E.R.D. was Pharell's original group. And his solo albums were just that, solo albums. I haven't seen Pharell trying to be British rock band or sticking tubes down his throat yet. When Pharell is shaking polaroid pictures, let me know (and I'm not trying to say anything bad about Andre 3000 either so hold off hitting the quote button, just using him as an example)

Imm0rt4l said:
Pharrell had N*E*R*D first waaaay before anyone else did, and the shit wasn't a gimmick. NERD's good shit.

I didn't say N.E.R.D. was a gimmick anywhere in my post. That's why I said "Pharell is probably next" as in the "near future". I'm not talking about his past works.

DY_nasty

I don't think taking on a side project should be called a gimmick. Its not like he dedicated an album to lost girlfriends and synthesizers.

qcf x2

DY_nasty said:
I don't think taking on a side project should be called a gimmick. Its not like he dedicated an album to lost girlfriends and synthesizers.

Exactly what I was going to say. It sounds okay, which means it is >>>> that Kanye CD.

Ashhong

DY_nasty said:

dur dur kanye only whines about his gf durrrrrrrrrrr

ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom