• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games

Forkball

I don't know about having the best AI, but they are an excellent update to an enemy most people forgot about. I agree that the game has a lack of enemy variety, but the encounters it does provide are very unique and memorable. The Lizalfos are easily my favorite in the game. They were always liked among Zelda fans, but their reinvention in BotW makes them really stand out. They have so many different abilities, there's actual notable difference between the different climate versions, and they drop unique weapons like the boomerangs.

These things are terrifying. My first encounter with one was seeing a little centaur-shaped blip in the distance, just minding its own business. I pulled out my bow to try and make it come towards me and the bomb trap in front of me. It immediately pulled out its own bow and shot me from across the field. While I was getting up, I saw it darting towards me at break-neck speed. My bomb was still primed, but I guess I already figured at this point that the explosion would not stun it out of its charge. I ran away and hid on top of a rock out of its sight. As many folks have attested though, it can arc its shots to make it rain down from the skies.

I have tried to avoid them since (with mixed results), but I guess I'll have to learn how to deal with them sooner or later.

random25

I don't know about having the best AI, but they are an excellent update to an enemy most people forgot about. I agree that the game has a lack of enemy variety, but the encounters it does provide are very unique and memorable. The Lizalfos are easily my favorite in the game. They were always liked among Zelda fans, but their reinvention in BotW makes them really stand out. They have so many different abilities, there's actual notable difference between the different climate versions, and they drop unique weapons like the boomerangs.

The smart Lizalfos in this game are pretty good. They can catch flying boomerangs you throw against them, they jump out as soon as you dash towards them or even take a slash, and they do quick hops sideways to make them hard to aim. They are even good at aiming boomerangs at you from a distance.

It's amazing that so many people had trouble with this.

It's a stealth mission.

Actually, it's not even mandatory. If you have at least 20 shock arrows in stock before all of this, you can just go straight ahead to Sidon.

KahooTs

They're very well designed and I'm glad the game gave me incentive to kill them when I cross them and kill enough of them to feel I've mastered them. Another variety of Lynel harder still would have been welcome.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

plus as discovered in dunkey's video they can even catch boomerangs thrown at them

Cuburt

Yeah Lynels are probably the best enemy in the game.

Lynel reminds me a lot of a Punch Out fight but I really appreciate his change in tactics the further away you are. There is no good way to sneak up on one that I've found since they are usually in wide open areas and aren't stupid if they happen to see or hear you. They won't just shrug it off and go about their business like other enemies, they just rain down arrows until you come out of hiding.

Even after figuring how their patterns are, they are very tough enemies that you can't take lightly. It makes me wonder if Hard mode will stick multiple Lynel together.

Dascu

I like them. They're like Zelda's equivalent to Dark Soul's Black Knights.

Shame the game doesn't have actual Darknuts though.

Dunkley

They're prolly the best enemy in the game to fight but really easy to beat. Staying close and baiting their three hit combo is pretty easy and very visibly telegraphed, and once they do it's just backflips until you get a flurry rush to hammer in some damage.

Rinse and repeat that until they're dead, and that's about all you need to do. Found that out on my third attempt of fighting the one near Zora's domain and haven't been killed by one since.

random25

They're prolly the best enemy in the game to fight but really easy to beat. Staying close and baiting their three hit combo is pretty easy and very visibly telegraphed, and once they do it's just backflips until you get a flurry rush to hammer in some damage.

Rinse and repeat that until they're dead, and that's about all you need to do. Found that out on my third attempt of fighting the one near Zora's domain and haven't been killed by one since.

That's just the sword-wielding lynel. The other lynels have different attack patterns.

zogged

Not in my experience, their patterns are so predictable its super easy to consistently get dodge flurries off them

Luigiv

My first lynel encounter happened within 10minutes of me leaving The Great Plateau for the first time. Needless to say, I was immediately murdered. Probably still the most the mind-blowing moment I've had with the game so far, 30 hours later.

spock

My first and only encounter was after capturing a memory. I didn't have my weopon drawn and watched from a distance. I saw him chase a deer and other wild life as I observed. I wasn't sure if he was friend or foe initially, so I came out of the brush making my self visible, that's when he stared me down. As I slowly moved closer he made it clear I was his focus of attention. Then I got to close I guess. He than shot a lightening arrow in the sky which was a quick wtf moment until the arrow landed and all I saw was the words game over on my screen...

As someone above mentioned, while the game could use more variety in enimies, many of the encounters I've had with both weak and strong mobs have been quite memorable. I think it helps a lot and it's those encounters that add to the games magic.

Cuburt

It's pretty great how they made Lynels similar to how it was running into them in LoZ/LttP where you wander into some mountain range and find these really powerful enemies that tell you that you aren't supposed to be here yet, but if you still want to stay, be prepared to get your ass kicked.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I met my first one very early in the game. I was just done with the first stuff in Kakariko, and was heading for Hateno. To get there I just headed off in its general direction, which lead me through Lanayru Promenade to the snowy place west of Mount Lanayru. Rode up, saw him, thought "let's do this!", got my ass handed to me with no delay.

From then on I avoided them whenever I saw them, until I went to collect the shock arrows in preparation for the Zora's Domain Divine Beast. I knew I was going to face another one up there, and this one I decided to take on. I sort of thought I needed to, although I later realized that a sneaky strategy would have worked as well (and was perhaps intended?).

It took me maybe five tries, but in the end I stood victorious. Felt pretty great. These guys are VICIOUS! My winning strategy was a lot of Flurry Rushes (they are pretty easy to get when the Lynel does his regular sword swipe) combined with some good bow work.

Then, literally one minute after beating him, I of course got a Blood Moon, lol. Bam, there he was again. I was not gonna do him again right away (I had gone through quite a lot of resources the first time), so after this I went into stealth mode to collect the remaining arrows I needed.

correojon

Mind blown.

edit: You lied. Just tired it on the one in the Gerudo Highlands and it didn't work.
You need to upgrade your Sheika Slate.

Eh. They shoot arrows when you are far away and then use horizontal attacks for most of the time as long as you stay close to them. Once in a while they'll try to trample you or shoot fireballs, that's when you use Stasis+ to intereupt them. White and Silver kind use an AOE attack when their HP falls below a certain level, but that's it. Fun fights, but nowhere near best AI ever imo.
That´s just the ones using sword. Lynels with spears or clubs use totally different attacks with different timings, though they have some common attacks like the fireballs, the no-weapon charge and the explosion. The club and spear ones have a pound attack that I think can´t be dodged, because even if you successfully enter Flurry Attack mode the expansive wave of the attack will hit you just half a second later, so you need to mix dodges and parries.

Yeah Lynels are probably the best enemy in the game.

Lynel reminds me a lot of a Punch Out fight but I really appreciate his change in tactics the further away you are. There is no good way to sneak up on one that I've found since they are usually in wide open areas and aren't stupid if they happen to see or hear you. They won't just shrug it off and go about their business like other enemies, they just rain down arrows until you come out of hiding.

Even after figuring how their patterns are, they are very tough enemies that you can't take lightly. It makes me wonder if Hard mode will stick multiple Lynel together.
A good way to sneak on them is by flying from above, you can land on their back and mount them. However you must fly from their backs, because if they see you flying at them they´ll take out their bow and snipe you in the air, or prepare a fire explosion for the right moment when you land next to them.

doop_

Banned
They are pretty predictable to fight after the 3rd or 4th attempt. I use my Sheikah Sensor to hunt them.

My first Lynel was actually the one all the way up in Hyrule Castle, and I had a total of four heart containers. I spent several hours in that room, broke every single weapon in my inventory, but I got the kill eventually. I hope this summer's hard mode feels as rewarding as that first Lynel fight.

klier

Lynels are absolutely amazing. And I am glad the blood moon exists, because I love beating them down and collect awesome stuff.

Fredrik

Here is an indepth fighting guide for the timing of flurry rushes and blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUPHWJuzC0

The guy beats them as a hobby with no damage and tree branches. He's good!
That's like on the same level as the guy playing Ikaruga 2 player by himself! Extremely impressive!
I've only met one Lynel so far, beat him after many tries, 3x defense, max health increase potions and meals. I think Zelda 2 might actually be dethroned now as the hardest Zelda game...

I ran into my first one on the mountain north of Hateno/east of kakariko. I've played the original and a link to the past enough times to know what I was looking at, and to know to be afraid.

I was right.

There's also that corridor full of them, by death mountain in the badlands. Didn't know what I was wandering into at that point... got a lot of great weapons though!

Close range is the only way I've been able to beat them. Long range they're deadly.

Ran away from one once and it teleported in front of me lol

zoukka

My first one was at Zora's domain where you had to farm the shock arrows. Such a nice fight and it instakilled me with any hit (had 4 hearts).

Got murdered a couple of times by the first one I ran into near the base of Lanyaru, the second time I came across one was while exploring the waterfalls in Faron and decided to throw down. Died 3 or 4 times but then realised a super simple way of beating them (I didn't have the flurry rush timing down at that point): headshot, mount, hit, repeat. Every time you headshot them they fall over and you can mount them. A little disappointed as it sort of trivialises them - but the pre fight stare-down is still cool as hell

mrmickfran

Lizalfos will shoot each others horns with shock arrows in order to spread their lightning.

Completely shook me the first time I saw it.

Feep

Banned
Lynels have some cool elements about them, but "doesn't aggro until you draw your weapon" doesn't qualify as some kind of amazing AI.

Not that the Last Guardian doesn't have serious issues, but an AI study of Trico is going to yield far more impressive results.

The spear ones never attack at close range and almost feel like a totally different fight.

And good luck dodging the circular swing of the 2H club-wielding ones. I thought I had lynels down to a science but I can't dodge that one attack ever, unless I'm crazy lucky.

Foffy

Banned
Fuck Zora storyline

How the fuck am i supposed to know that I shouldn't fight with that Lynel?

The game's dialog does warn you about them, though...

Besides, aren't Lynel's regarded as the hardest regular enemies that appear in the Zelda games that they appear in?

Satch

Banned
Fuck Zora storyline

How the fuck am i supposed to know that I shouldn't fight with that Lynel?

theres literally a cutscene that shows the things in the trees and in the grass when you first get up there, and you were never told to kill the lynel.

you're justifying Fi here.

I have Stasis+. I'm telling you it did not work.

Weird, worked fine for me. Unless there's a lynel type who can't be frozen that I've not come across.

The game's dialog does warn you about them, though...

Besides, aren't Lynel's regarded as the hardest regular enemies that appear in the Zelda games that they appear in?

Don't really remember them much in Z1, but they were the hardest in ALBW. I don't think there were any "hard" enemies in zelda 3, but they were among the toughest enemies in the game (and last if you did the dungeons in the order suggested on the map, as they were only on dark would death mountain iirc).

theres literally a cutscene that shows the things in the trees and in the grass when you first get up there, and you were never told to kill the lynel.

you're justifying Fi here.

"Master there is a 100% chance you will die if you draw your weapon"

Jawmuncher

Wasn't a fan of them. They were either entirely oblivious to my stealth or noticed me instantly. I'll give them props for allowing them to attack with swords and arrows so they can hit you wherever.

They're fun to fight but it's really not great "AI". They have pretty simple behaviour and attack patterns mostly based on your distance

I met a Lynel during a thunderstorm. Snuck up on it with metal weapons equipped, waited for the right moment and mounted it in time to be struck by lightning (with Mipha's Grace at the ready). I felt like it was barely affected by it, but man was it a satisfying moment

Yeah, the fights with Lynels are lots of fun.
Spoiler:
Especially the one in Hyrule Castle is so epic (for once, it's a fight that deservs to be called "epic" due to the surroundings, the music and the thunder).

But while I think their AI is good, it's not that outstanding as they have not that complex attack patterns.

Top Bottom